Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2007 7:55:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 6:16:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: protus] [#1]
here is a link that most central FLA folks can use. it covers all of the Ocala natl. forest parks/camp grounds.
Ive camped in most of the campgrounds and forest.. liked em' better 15 yrs+  years ago, when the stae ran them. still great places to camp and hike!!

Link

More fla camp ground links

Fla state forest page

Big cypress

DEP list of all state parks

hope this helps yall find some places to pitch a tent

eta: pics of some of the areas ive ben the lst few years.

Pats island area on the FTA in Ocala natl. forest

Paynes prairie outside gainesville

Juniper prairie wilderness

yearling trail outside astor fla.

hidden pond of fthe FTA outside the pats island/juniper area

hopkins prairie camp area- view of the prairie- the camp ground  is on the far right of the picture. It sits in that point reaching into the prarie area.  It also has a spring feed pond at its entrance,  restrooms and running h20( from a hose bib) It is considered a "primative site"

sorry most pics taken while backpacking

Most of the camp areas in the ONF are maintained fairly well, easy to access and have some sort of lake,pond or spring you can swim in or canoe at! lots of family fun IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:28:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gr8outdrsmn] [#2]
Here is a link to some campgrounds in Pisgah National Forrest.  It's a great place for anyone in the Upstate of SC, South West NC, or Eastern TN to spend a long weekend at.  Pleasant campsites, bathrooms, showers, scenic trails along the rivers or up the mountains for the novice and more rugged trails for the advanced.

Higher up, above the fish hatchery, the road turns to gravel.  On up a ways it comes to the primitive campsites, no bathrooms, no showers, no people really (except for the diehards)  Great place to get away and reconnect with nature.  Went up there a few years ago with some friends and took the mountain bikes.  Found an old fire road that took us  to the top of the mountain.  It was really amazing.  Just be careful.  I would estimate we passed 50 mph coming back down the mountian, on bicycles, on gravel.  One heck of a ride, and well worth the trip to the top.

Pisgah

Cade's Cove  Pigeon Forge, TN
Great Smoky Mountains

Nice 11 mile paved loop around the historic park.  Old church, school, houses that you can tour.  It is free, donation boxes throughout the park.  Road is closed to vehicles certain days/times of year to allow bicycles and pedestrians safe passage.  Loads of wildlife (deer, black bear, coyotes, birds, etc)  I actually followed a herd of 6 deer for 2 hours one day in the park.  I got to within 15 feet of them, photographing the whole time (photography is a major hobby of mine)  

Another destination worth the trip.

Nantahala Outdoors Center

Nantahala is truly amazing.  Miles and miles of hiking, backpacking, mountainbiking, canoeing, rafting, kayaking, etc.  No real fees unless you want to rent gear, such as bike or canoe/kayak.  Massive forrest with tons to do.  They have events that look like they would be a blast to compete in, but due to real life butting in I have not had the time to participate.

Nantahala has many locations for various categories, here is a link to directions to each: NOC Directions

Hope to bump into you guys on the trails. Have fun and camp safe.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The last cool place I was (too many years ago) was called Spring Valley Trails campground, in Iowa County, WI, near the town of Clyde.

Another ARFCOMer and I decided to go camping one weekend - after all, I had a "new" tent from the Gander Mountain catalog outlet store - forgetting it was labor day weekend.

(The info about GM and catalog should give you an idea of dates)

The gate matron told us Governor Dodge was full, and gave us a list of alternative sites. She warned us about SVT, however, saying it was pretty, but primitive.

"They have pit toilets" she whispered, oblivious to the fact that we were both in some for of .mil camo and toting ALICE packs.

We thanked her and headed west, and discovered that SVT had new indoor toilet facilities complete with hot showers near the owner's home.

I really need to get out there again... if I can ever get a day off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:32:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunLogic] [#5]
Minnesota State Parks info

Firewood restrictions now in place

To help control the spread of forest diseases and pests like the emerald ash borer (EAB) known to "hitchhike" on wood brought from infected areas, Minnesota has enacted legislation that restricts firewood being brought to or used on DNR lands. Only approved firewood will be allowed for use in state parks, state forests and other DNR facilities. Approved firewood is: firewood purchased from the DNR or an approved vendor, or kiln-dried wood such as unpainted, unstained dimension lumber or kindling that is free of any metal or foreign substance.

Firewood can be purchased from an approved local vendor near your destination or at the park. Approved vendors and locations are listed on the DNR Web site.

Your help is needed to slow the spread of pests like EAB that is destroying ash trees in Canada and nearby states. Thank you in advance for leaving your firewood at home and doing your part to protect Minnesota's forests and neighborhood trees.

GL
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Stone Mountain State Park (NC)

SMSP has some good back country camping sites that don't take too long to backpack too. The Widows Creek trail is also part of the NC Mountain-to-Sea Trail which I really want to hike one of these years. Here are some pics of the trek to Campsite F, and the site itself.

Dont have pics of the stream that runs right by the campsite. Good cold mountain water. Very very cold!

Yours truly

Me at Stone Mountain Falls

There is also excellent rainbow trout fishing along Widows Creek and East Prong Roaring River.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 8:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tommygun45] [#7]
Here is the link for New York NYS DEC campgrounds
Campgrounds range from primative (tent site, Pit privy, fire pit, and table) to RV access with hot and cold running water, showers and on site general store.  There are some really beautiful camp grounds in the Adirondaks and Catskills.  I have not had a chance to camp out toward the southern tier (Bighamton, Rochester) yet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By Paul:
I highly recommend "the Complete Guie to California Camping" by Tom Stienstra. There are over 50,000 listings covering most of California's camp sites. The descriptions are fairly accurate and include a point of contact phone number to call ahead. I don't pay for my dirt camping but it's nice to call the ranger and ask the current weather, the level of the lake, or how crowded the campground is. The book lists out costs, facilities, and gives driving directions.

Of course the book doesn't cover the tens of thousands of square miles of BLM property which covers the eastern portion of the state. Those areas are pretty nice dry camping where you can get away from everyone else for as long as you like. Shooting, camping, ATV, and 4wd advantures are all priced right (free!). Just be really careful with the fires when the wind is up and follow the regulations on shooting: no shooting within 100 yards of a road, 500 yards of a house IIRC - that only leaves 99.99% of the place.

Paul,
Do you have any info or sites for BLM info? I have been looking for a place to camp away from the parks and be able to shoot. I used to have some dirt up around Boonville and miss having that.

Thanks for any help.
Tim
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Daniel Boone National Forest

State & city

I get off the Bert T. Combs Mountain Parkway at Slade, Kentucky.  Take the exit for "Natural Bridge State Resort Park."  At the exit, follow the signs for "Red River Gorge" to the Shell Gas Station which is right off the Pkwy.

Cost

Get your $5, 3-day parking pass at the Shell Station.  If you are not parking a vehicle in the NF between the hours of 10pm and 6am, there are no fees.  Ask for a courtesy map while you're there.  It has the Parking locations marked on it.

Amenities

Toilets at the parking locations/trailheads.  Plenty of great rock if you're into climbing/rappelling.

(If you're headed there to do these things, drop me an IM and maybe we can meet up. )

Quality of grounds

Excellent, if you're comfortable with primitive camping.

Restrictions if any.

Seasonal/Weather dependent fire restrictions.  No camping or fires within 100 feet of streams, trails, cliffs, or roads.

Contact info ( address if possible )

www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/index.shtml

Link to a couple pics from my recent trip there: click

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
BLUFF LANDING, WAGONER COUNTY OK.

Boat landing, Corps of Engineers maintained.
2 very primitive outhouses ... disgusting this past wknd - 3/01/08
1 lighted, running water - showers bathhouse....ancient but not offensive - relatively  clean
About 10-12 campsites near boat landing, with water and electricity hookups $15  per nite, tables and grill
Another 10-12 sites 100 yds ?away from boat landing, with water and electricity also $15 per nite, with table and grill
8? primitive sites with grill and table - no utilities.
Overall a nice campground no road noise etc -
However - if don't you like drunk red necks howling at the moon and squealing tires at midnite --maybe consider a more family location.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:08:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tr_1127] [#13]
Indiana State Parks Information
Indiana State Parks Campground Reservation

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/tr1290/My%20Work/chainolakes.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/tr1290/My%20Work/IMG_0266.jpg
Chain O' Lakes State Park, Summer 2006.

There was a primitive toilet across from our campsite here
A word to the wise on firewood: Buy it at one of the farms outside the park gate. It burns better and costs about the same.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By tr_1127:
Indiana State Parks Information
Indiana State Parks Campground Reservation

i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/tr1290/chainolakes.jpg

i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/tr1290/IMG_0266.jpg
Chain O' Lakes State Park, Summer 2006.

There was a primitive toilet across from our campsite , but there were modern facilities within sight. There was also a water spigot a few yards away. The campground store sells food, ice, firewood and basic supplies.

A word to the wise on firewood: Buy it at one of the farms outside the park gate. It burns better and costs about the same.

I camped out there a lot as a kid. I loved the canoeing. It's a nice place.
Link Posted: 1/31/2009 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#15]
My favorite campground has always been Red creek Campground Linky in Monongahela National Forest.  This is an excellent kumping off pint for a backpacking trip in Dolly Sods or just a nice plkace for a weekend of car camping.  I think there is room for Rv's but it is generally pretty small and very quiet.  The best part is it is off the beaten path but convenient to most of the MNF.  

My favorite place though to backpack in the MNF was always Otter Creek.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2009 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I think anyone with Google can find all the camping information they want.  The US Forest Service, and the various State agencies have a wealth of info out there, and all free for the asking.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#18]
WASHINGTON campers

This site contains a google earth file that will show you all the campgrounds in Washington state. Has other files for things like hikes and hot springs and bunch of Nation wide stuff as well.

Link Posted: 11/10/2011 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Kisatchie National Forest
Website

Kisatchie National Forest has more than 604,000 acres, is spread across seven parishes in Louisiana and is divided into five managed units called Ranger Districts.
I will limit My discussion to the actual areas I have utilized.

Camp Claiborne- Former military camp, also the camp where the 82nd Airborne was founded. Much of the foundations and roads of the old camp remain. Its predominant use today is ORV/ATV with equestrian on a lesser scale. Some bunkers remain but the USFS is beginning to fence these areas off.

Camp Livingston- Just North of Ball La. is Camp Livingston. It its use is primarily Atv/orv but it shared with the USMS Special Opergations Group Training Center and Louisiana National Guard.

It should be noted that if you plan to spend anytime in these woods that a firearm be nearby. I quit camping at these locations due to the fucking weirdos that inhabit these places.
Currently my outdoor adventures occur in the woods of the Calcasieu Ranger District- Vernon unit. There is an agreement between Ft.Polk/JRTC and the National forest that allows training under its "limted Use Agreement". . I find that its not quite as popular as the other ranger district and sometime go a whole weekend with out contact from persons outside my group.
Feel freel to contact me with any questions.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Mannlicher:
I think anyone with Google can find all the camping information they want.  The US Forest Service, and the various State agencies have a wealth of info out there, and all free for the asking.

But you think that a search will turn up. Hey this place has a problem with people cooking meth, people stealing/robbing and pillaging etc?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Aep power land caldwell ohio

Cost is free with printed out pass.

Well kept grounds with fire ring, picnic table, and waste cans at each site, out house and pump wells

Primitive as far as power or fresh water.

No restrictions as far as I know.

Some pics from a car camping trip I took with my two oldest sons.

Link to camp grounds.

AEP link
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 10:49:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedytriple] [#22]
The camp site I pictured is right on the buckeye trail, path from the back of our site led right to it. They have a bunch of other sites, this is one of the more remote sites. A bit hard to find even with gps LOL! This was campsite K by the way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Last weekend a couple of my buddies and I stayed a couple nights in St. Andrews St. Park just off of Panama City Beach, FL. The weather was GREAT low 80's in the daytime, upper 50's/lower 60's at night and a little breezy. My family always goes to the park at least one day when in PCB just for the beauty and snorkeling opportunities, but I had always wanted to camp there a few days.

Let me tell you this is one of the best parks that offers tons to do. You have the Gulf, the bay and jetty rocks to snorkel around, a lagoon off of the bay, hiking trails, gator lake, fishing, tons of wildlife including gators, and tons of deer. The Gulf water is most always blue there due to lack of fertilizer runoff which causes algae/plant blooms in tourist areas. We kayaked. I fished the lagoon in my kayak (caught several trout, a flounder, and a spotted puffer). We rode mountain bikes Saturday night slong the road that runs triangular around the whole park. No street lights, so head lamps/clips made for great night wildlife viewing.

The campsites are all along the lagoon, and many are waterfront (ours was). The bathhouses are as clean as you'd want in your own home, private, and shower stalls are very spacious with warm water. There is a camp store, and jetti store for supplies.

We ate like kings... ribeyes and skewers Friday night, scrambled eggs with sharp cheddar and creole seasoning with thick slab bacon courtesy of a Coleman stove, and we had a shrimp boil Saturday night that was out of this world.

Cost for two nights was about $62. The camp has RV spots as well as tent camping with power and water. They also have primitive areas as well. I highly recommend this park and will hit this spot at least once in early spring and again in early fall.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:37:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pv74] [#24]
Some of my old standbys...
There are a LOT of places I like to camp

Bonneville Hostsprings. Bonneville Campground, Boise National Forrest.

North of Lowman Idaho on State Highway 21.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/boise/null/recarea/?recid=5195&actid=29

Grandjean Hostsprings...named after Emile Grandjean, the first Forrest Supervisor.

Off of State Highway 21 between Lowman and Stanley

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/boise/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=5202&actid=29

Warm Lake Campground:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/boise/recarea/?recid=5143

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#27]
This is a post concerning mainly John Muir Trail backpackers, resupplying at the city of Mammoth Lakes:

One gets off the JMT at Devil's Postpile Nat'l Monument.  The propane bus which goes between DPNM and Mammoth takes exact change cash (aboot $7) and buy's you a round trip ride out of and back into the national park.  There are a couple of these buses making a circuit, which takes you as far as the nearest ski lift on edge of the town.  This ski lift has the famous Mammoth Elephant Idol.  You stand near that idol to hitch a free bus ride into town on the town's propane bus system.

The main drag has MickyDees, directly across the street from the Nat'l Forrest Service Campground.  In front of McD is where the local bus service picks up and drops off people(handy info) CREST bus going up and down 395 between Lancaster and ML and YARTS bus headed to Tuolumne Meadows and the Yosemite Valley, itself.  This main drag street also has a reasonably(?!) priced food store for resupply.  Vons, was it?

JMT'ers:  Definately get off the trail at Devil's Postpile and go into Mammoth Lakes for resupply.  A hot shower wouldn't go amiss, either.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#28]
My family has gone to a campsite called Petticote Junction.  Its in the PA Grand Canyon.

It has primitive sites, as well as electirc and water hookup sites.  It has modern bathroom facikities and and outhouse in the back.  It has showers, a small store, firewood for sale and a large field for games.  It sits right next to a large creek where there is a swimming hole.

Great spot in PA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top