Last Updated :: 2/15/2010 6:06:44 PM EDT
Please check out these PDF's from the Illinois State Police:
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf - Transporting Firearms in IL
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/9-049.pdf - Transfering Firearms in IL
If these files and everything below doesn't asnwer your question, feel free to ask, we will try to help you.
1) No you can not carry a concealed weapon, and Illinois does not honor CCW from any other state.
1a. Exception = Unless you are a LEO, but please be aware that in Cook County and the City of Chicago the corrupt liberal run government may, or may not recognize your legal right to do so.
2) Illinois does not have an so called "Assault Weapon Ban", so regular capacity magazines are acceptable.
3) No NFA items are allowed to be owned by non-SOT FFL's in Illinois, except AOW guns. If you want to travel into IL with an AOW do some more research.
4) Weapons need to be unloaded and in a case. Loaded magazines may be in the case with the firearm, but may not be inserted into the mag well.
4a. Although legally you could have these firearms cases on your lap while you drive, it may be wise to have the cases in an inaccessible region of your vehicle while traveling. If an out of stater is pulled over with firearms do you think you will get more police officer attention if they are in the passenger seat or in the trunk? Use your own common sense.
5) Only permanent Illinois residents can obtain or need a FOID card. If you change your drivers license to live in Il, then you need a FOID.
6) Traveling with NFA weapons: Non SOT's must notify the NFA branch, get approval from said branch, and carry your NFA papers with the firearm when crossing state lines into Illinois. No restrictions on travel exist for SOT's. When out of staters are in Illinois with NFA items, Illinois can not be your destination. You can not stop off for a few days to sightsee, keep moving through the state.
Per the Illinois Compiled Statutes
I am not a lawyer, although there are some good ones in this forum. Hopefully this post will keep the ILHTF folks from answering the same questions again and again every week. Please feel free to post additions, corrections, and suggestions. These are basic laws as I understand them, if you are arrested for breaking an Il firearm law it is not my or AR15.com's fault.
*Thank you P08 for this added information!
A special Thanks To Kalahnakid for putting this together and to the rest of the IL guys for helping out with the information.
Additional Inforamtion for all travlers staying in IL Please check the Illinois State Police Compiled Municipal Ordinances to see if the city you are staying in has a ban or restrictions.
* thanks to grEnAlEins for the link and request.