AR15.Com Archives
 Licensed California Assault Weapons Dealers
cedricxerxes  [Team Member]
11/23/2007 2:51:40 PM EDT
I live in NorCal and have a registered Saiga that needs some work. I want to send it out of state for repair. The last time I did this, I worked through Trader's. They now appear to be in hot water with ATF and have lost their FFL and Assault Weapons permit. Anyone know of any FFL who has an Assault Weapons permit to handle the shipment out of state and then back when the work has been completed? The only one I could find was Evans Gunsmithing in SoCal, but they "are proud to be Americans, and while we love to help our clients, Evan's Gunsmithing respectfully declines to perform gunsmithing on any Communist Bloc weapons (AK, SKS, etc.).".

I am aware that Section 12290 stipulates that any gunsmith work done on my registered assault weapon has to be done by either a gunsmith who is in the dealer's employ or a gunsmith with whom the dealer has contracted for gunsmithing services.

Has anyone had to deal with out-of-state work on their registered assault weapons?

Paid Advertisement
fegsa85  [Member]
11/23/2007 4:44:42 PM EDT
any gunsmith can work on it as long as you stay with the rifle. sitting in the shop should be fine.

i can think of nothing that you can't fix on an ak yourself...

what is the issue with your rifle?
someone close by has built akm rifles from parts kits. check plenty of people there willing to help.

cedricxerxes  [Team Member]
11/24/2007 10:06:21 AM EDT
Thanks for the reply. I want to refinish my Saiga and do the 922r conversion while I am at it. I have done a fair amount of research on,,, et al. The best conversion guide I have found is That not withstanding, I would prefer to have a professional do the conversion rather than drill pins, punch holes, cut my receiver with a dremel or have to invest in more expensive tools.

If there is a good gunsmith in California who can do this conversion and refinish my Saiga with Environtech (or equiv) I am all for it. I know of several out of state that can do it. Any recommendations?
bwiese  [Member]
11/24/2007 2:51:37 PM EDT
As one of the above posters stated, any FFL gunsmith can work on your AW in your presence - you just can't leave the immediate area (i.e., don't go out to lunch leaving the gun at the FFL's) and can't leave it overnight.

You can also drive it to Reno or Phoneix yourself and have it worked on. (By contrast, shipping an AW outta CA seems to require services of an AW permittee to ship/receive.)

You can go to the DOJ website and get the number for the Special Weapons Registration/ Permits section (can't remember its exact name).

Call them up, tell the lady your location and she will give you 7 or 8 AW permittees in your greater area.

[BTW: for those folks owning a reg'd Cat III AW, sufficient evil features can be removed so that the firearm is no longer an AW. It then can be 'smithed or shipped/received as a normal firearm.]

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA
Partner Content
akjunkie  [Member]
11/24/2007 9:41:30 PM EDT
hope this helps.......
Paid Advertisement