Pistols as loaners for ccw classes
I'm going to be teaching ccw classes in the months to come and I realize many people either have a semi or a revolver but not both.In O, you qual with both and can carry anything. You do not register the gun to your permit. I'm looking to get your opinion on whether I should stick to the same platform or diversify the guns I have as a loaner.
Currently, I have a M&P9, Sig 226 9mm, Taurus 24/7 9mm and a S&W 638 38spl
Do I just get a few more J frames or do I get maybe 1 more and 2 lcr's?
Do I get say 3 more M&P's or do I go G19 or 26, Ruger SR9c, XD9c and maybe a pps or p99?
I think having a variety of guns for students to handle would be very beneficial. I'd try to keep it all 9mm and 38. I do not plan to have a loaner gun for everybody but would like to give the noobs a chance to at least handle a variety. What are your ideas? I feel as a rookie to ccw, this might have helped me out. I first bought a Walther PK380 once they came out and rarely carried it because it was too big for a 380. I traded it for my j frame but the ability to see things like this might have helped me in the beginning.
ETA: I will also get a Hi Point. It's very common for people to buy these as truck guns so I'd like to have an example. Plus, I'd like to see one get shot alot
Completely up to you. When I took my CCW class, I didn't yet have a revolver, so I used the instructor's. He had both a semi and a revolver for students lacking one or both. Both of his were .22's (for $ sake). If you'd like to offer your students a chance to test out common carry guns, go for it. That may put a bit of a dent in your wallet, however.
You really only NEED .22's for your students to borrow, but feel free to go above and beyond for them.
I've taught MO CCW courses the last 2 years and offer every carry caliber firearm I have for students to use if they’d like, for the cost of ammo. I have a Ruger 22/45 and a Taurus 94 9-shot .22 revolver for loaners otherwise. I encourage everyone to shoot the firearm they intend to carry if they already have it, or buck up the ammo money and shoot 9mm and .38 Spl or other common carry calibers, which sounds like what you are planning to do.
My experience and what I think you will run in to as well:
1. Cost of ammo makes almost everyone want to shoot .22s. I would say 90%. The other 10% being the dedicated ones who will carry and probably already have their carry gun and brought their own ammo.
2. Anyone who says they have a revolver, probably has a Ruger Single Six .22. Account for that during your time allotted for shooting.
3. There are some that would fail the 7 yard shooting portion if they had to shoot a J-frame.
4. The minimum 75 rounds out of each gun will have some students’ hands so exhausted they will struggle to get through the shooting portion.
5. Just because they brought a gun, doesn’t mean they know how to shoot it or ever have shot it.
6. Prepare for gun lust when some “old timer” brings in a mint in the box S&W revolver he bought at the hardware store “back in the day”. Cry when he won’t sell it to you for what he paid, haha.
It is hard work, but it is very rewarding when you have those students who “get it” and you know will carry in the future.
Ruger SP 101, Glock 26, and either a Ruger P95/89 or SW 5006 (or whatever thier all metal 3rd gen auto in 9mm is)
reasons: a full weight .38/.357mag
something that has a slide mounted control/decocker
I'd pick up 3-4 of the Police trade in Taurus .38 specials that J&G has in stock. They are $140 each if you buy 5 or more.
K-frame size, .38 special, controls are the same as a Smith, and at under $150 each you won't mid loaning them out.
I have 2 Glock 17's and a 442 S&W I use as loaners for students who don't own a weapon yet. All were purchased new and are used for nothing but classes and only with factory ammo. A relatively small effort in "lawsuit avoidance." I've found that most of my students wind up buying a Glock 19 or a J frame.
Thanks for the input guys
I have found a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm is a great gun for a less-experienced shooter.
Depends on class size and range size. Where I teach, its a five lane range and we try to limit classes to ten. We don't need a lot of loaners.
I teach here in Arkansas. we can get by with just a semiauto. i have two Ruger mark 3 22/45s. If they are shooting my guns, they will use my ammo. They are great guns for beginners. Most of the folks who need to borrow one of my loaners are beginners. every once in a while, somebodys gun will break, or they have something that appears unsafe. then they get to shoot one of the 22s. i dont have a huge budget for class and range equipment, so these were the best choice at the time. Im considering replacing them with the SR22s however.