Well, my first PSL is built and looking mostly good but I've run into one hell of an aggravating snag. Because it was what I could find, we went with a Romanian receiver, which has more extra excessive metal than Mr. T. I've gotten the rails dremeled to functioning dimensions but now am stuck on the mag well. I can FINALLY get the mag in there but it's really tight and worse it's being compressed to where the follower won't move. Has anyone here run into this problem and know where to cut/grind to fix it? I've dremeled off the bottom edges quite well but am seeing all kinds of raised inner surfaces and I don't want to loosen up the wrong place to make it not work.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Im sure your rails are to tight but yes pictures would help and you know for sure its the mag well hole or the rails.... specify a little better...
Yes. Yes I have ran into this problem. Short of coming over and doing it for you, no I can't help. Yes it does take a lot of work compared to other builds, but trust me it's worth it. Dremels are your friend and I remember having to sand/grind the 'dimples' in the mag well to get the mags to fit (I have 5 mags and took the one that fit the tightest and use it to work the magwell). Not to scare you, but after hand filing the upper rails and magwell you haven't even gotten to the most challenging part. The siderail (at least on mine and others built alongside mine) are insanely too big for any siderail mount PSOP scope. I start with a Dremel with a cutting wheel and a marker and went slowly all the way down fitting it as I went. I ended up filing the one scope I use to finally fit only to return that and get a brand new one along with a couple more surplus PSOP scopes and am currently hand filing the last thousandths of an inch to get them to fit (I do a little each night measure regularly and making sure I'm keeping them true). Once I get those done it will finally be ready for sandblasting and parkerizing and then I'll probably have to hit it again with a hand file but again, believe me, it's worth it. I hope this helps, good luck and please pictures!
after building mine by hand using a cold steel blank(damn good blank but fabbed the extensions myself rather than the ones they supplied), it took about 3 hours to file down the dimples to accept mags, then another 2 hours per mag(8 mags total) to make sure they all lock in place correctly on this receiver. As said, lots of custom work, one of the reasons the mags were #'ed to the rifles to begin with. after all this, another 4 plus hours to make sure that after action was smooth and all rounds fed from the mags. Lots of work, and after ur done, much better than the rommy's ever did on the factory rifles. kk