AR15.Com Archives
shooter1950  [Member]
1/21/2012 8:02:29 AM EST
I have a Bushmaster A2 and want to change the butt stock to a rockriver adj. stock. Everything went ok until I tried to cycle the carrier which only came back about 2". After checking things over I think I need a new buffer.
My question is how do I find out how long of a buffer to get or will they be able to tell me? just ask for a buffer for a RR adj butt stock? Can someone tell me where to find one the correct length and was is the correct length?
I'm really new to the AR15 and I tried searching but nothing came up about buffers.
Paid Advertisement
Dano523  [Moderator]
1/21/2012 8:38:34 AM EST
There is only two buffer lengths for the rifles, The first is the longer buffer for the fixed stocks/ standard fixed stock receiver extension, then the carbine buffer for telescoping stock/telescoping receiver extension (comes down to the internal lengths of the two different receiver extensions).

Now that you have a telescoping receiver extension in play, you will need a carbine buffer, and even a carbine recoils spring as well.

Here, standard fix stock recoil/buffer spring is about 11.75" long, while a carbine spring is about 10.5" long. If you try to use a fixed length spring in a shorter void telescoping receiver extension, the spring coil binds out before the buffer can reach end of stroke (and no, don't just clip the spring).

Lastly, shorter carbine buffers come in different weights, and if you are just going to be shooting 55/62 ammo, a standard weight buffer is all that you need (barring problems with the rifle that you may be trying to band-aid the problem with heaver buffer, instead of just solving the original problem instead).
shooter1950  [Member]
1/21/2012 9:13:44 AM EST

thanks. I really just want to be able to adj the stock to fit the wife better. If she enjoys it I will buy her an AR15.