Surefire scout light thread quality issues?
I have a two tan surefire scout lights and I noticed a problem with the threading where it is very rough. I sent my light to surefire and got one back that had the exact same problem. To compare I added a pic of one of my black sf scout lights that does not have the same issue. The lights work fine I am just dissapointed in the workmanship. Has anyone else seen similar issues in workmanship with scout lights?
I got my light back from surefire and they claim thats how they all come.They also said that they checked with the manufacturing department who said is does happen in the mfg process when the part is tumbeled, and should still function fine and be weather resistant. However they went through some of their other lights and tried to find the best one they could. I will admit it is better than the oneĀ i sent them, but not nearly up to surefire standards, or what is expectd from a $300 flashlight. My other two black scoutlights threads are perfect, along with the roughly 10 other surefires i own. Must be an issue with the tan ones, wondering if any of you guys have seen anything similar.
Here is the new one i was given...
All of my 6 scoutligjhts are perfect. YMMV.
I have handled/owned dozens of Surefire lights and have never seen threads like that,
but I have never touched one that color.
Sounds like Surefire is not going to make it any better, so either ignore it,
or sell it and have some black ones painted...
That would be pretty sloppy work on a $20 flashlight, on a $300 flashlight it's ridiculous. And it sounds odd that someone would tumble a threaded piece, especially aluminum. I can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like the thread relief wasn't done properly, if at all. Must be that special Surefire QC.
Having said that, it shouldn't affect the function unless you need to change or remove the o-ring, as it looks sharp enough to cut it. You can file that rough thread completely off or just down to where it's smooth; there are plenty of threads left to hold on a flashlight cap.
Mine dont look like that...
I have the newer 200 lumen one. Looks somewhat like that but it still works and I'm still a happy customer.
The M300A i got today has rather rough threading as well. My old M600 has nicer threads. I guess the rough thread are what we get with the price decrease on the scout lights? The lights get brighter, the tape switches get better, the prices get better...but the fit & finish got worse.
On a postive note my new 3-volt M300A is brighter than my Gen-1 KL4 Based 6-Volt scout light.
Not condoning the lack of attention to detail that should accompany a $300 flashlight but 2 easy fixes that would be cheap are get a thread file (maybe $3 at a hardware store) and smooth them a little, or get a stronger nut (stainless,galvanized, what have you) from a hardware store for probably $1-$1.50 and run it up and down the threads a few times and it should smooth it out. Also a very thin layer of graphite lube makes for a smoother threading area, or if you like a lube that can be a little less hassle to clean if it gets somewhere, Ive used silicone lube (for the oring) and just put a very small ammount on the threads as well.
Inexcusable. Sadly, a lot of companies have taken the same approach in customer service during the bad economy. Whereas, they should be getting better.