AR15.Com Archives
 How to locate records of CW soldiers (ancestors)
onrey55  [Team Member]
1/9/2011 1:53:59 PM EDT
My husband was given a flag from his Great-Great Grandfather's funeral. This ancestor served during the Civil war and we wanted to find records on Service Medals, Awards, etc. We were thinking of having a nice display case made that could house the flag, any medals, awards, etc.

Any ideas on where to start looking for this information? We do know what unit/company etc he served in and have pension papers as well.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Paid Advertisement
ByNameRequest  [Team Member]
1/9/2011 6:56:25 PM EDT
the National Archives might be a good place to start.

More than likely, your husband's ancestor is entitled to the Civil War Campaign Medal.

Good luck on your search!
4v50  [Team Member]
1/10/2011 5:17:29 AM EDT
The National Park Service maintains a soldier/sailor index. Search by name and unit.

Click on this link Here

Once you have him identified with his unit, apply with the National Archives for his service record and his pension record.
Partner Content
Paid Advertisement