Covering a gap?
I've got 2 floor to ceiling built in book cases in my living room. The tops are crown moulding and they're within 1/4" of the ceiling. My problem: the installer caulked the gap and it looked like a flush fit but as the wood breathes, there's a gap that's formed between the ceiling and the top of the book cases.
How do I cover this gap? I'd re-caulked the gap the other day using some paintable latex caulk but it didn't work.
Someone said something about a flexible sealer... WTF is that? I just want my bookcases to not look like crap and have a damned gap.
Pull the molding and re-install at the correct height?
remove all of the caulk
put small backer rod in the gap and recaulk with a latex urethane paintable caulk
the backer rod allows the caulk to only adhere to the ceiling and bookcase and be the proper thickness to flex properly
Are you referring to the same polyurethane caulk as the "masonry" caulk? Or do I need to hit a paint store and avoid Lowes?
real paint store
here its shermax from sherwin williams and maxflex from duron
Cool. I figured as much. I'll try to stop by one very very soon. I've got a list of stuff I need to accomplish that's about 4 pages long and these are close to the top. I've fixed the loose boards on my deck, replaced the balusters the dogs chewed through, and still have a long way to go... but I'm getting there. Just tired of seeing some of these things... if you know what I mean.
Or go the other way.....and remove the crown completely. Then you have a several inch gap which won't show a bit if it moves an 1/8" or 1/4"....does mean more dusting and may not work if there are lights in the top shelf that the crown is hiding wiring, but another possible solution to the problem.
Post a pic...
In most cases, even when a ceiling is out of whack, it can be hid with crown. I hate to see where caulk was used after finish work was done.
...on the other hand, when caulk gets painted too soon I can guarante an uneven brake line.
A quarter inch is big..
Ok, my measurements were really off. I didn't have anywhere near the space
For the backer rod. I went and caulked it with some elastomeric
Caulk. It worked out fine. Painting is slow but going well. Thanks for