Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2024 8:04:36 PM EDT
This year I saw more spotted fawns during hunting season than ever before.

Today, I drove past a field with 20+ deer in it. One of them was a 6-8 point buck in bright hard horn. Im guessing he hasn't shed?

I just read recently of other guys seeing buck s that haven't shed.

What gives?

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't hunt anymore but I have noticed more than a few fawns switch spots still. I have not seen any antlers around here.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw a medium size buck just last week that was a road kill that hadn’t shed yet.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Late Spring?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:56:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing the moderate winters of the last couple years are having a big effect.

Apparently the late births, moderate winters, and late mating cycle of the late births keep the testosterone flowing in the bucks which helps keep their antlers on their heads later in the spring.

Just saw this one on 3/25:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:42:28 AM EDT
[#6]
When you have a high doe population, the rut gets extended. Used to be the main rut was mid November and a minor flurry in December. Now you have even later ruts extending into February in order to get all the does bred. Gestation period of about 200 days means you have fawns being born later into the summer. Does cycle into heat about every 28 days.  This has been happening in the South for quite some time now. We have does being bred from September on. Plus those early fawns May get bred also the same year. Natures way of insuring survival.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw spotted fawns here in Mississippi the week of Christmas. Pretty unusual for this area.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#8]
We have some bucks with horns here in southern VA.   My brother sent me pics of one in Pa. Last week.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
We still have some with antlers, although most of the bucks have shed them.

Had one last year in February with antlers chasing a doe, my buddy shot her (was late antlerless season) and the buck came over and kept prodding her with his antlers to get up.  Took a while for him to leave so my buddy could gut the doe.  She was definitely still in estrus.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Late fawns is a sign of imbalance in the deer herd.  Too many doe.  

The bucks aren't able to breed all of the doe the first round of estrus.  If it's really bad, they can't do it the second round either.  This will cause you to see more spotted fawns or very small fawns during hunting season.  

Most likely solution is to kill more doe.  However, a lot of those late fawns simply won't make it through winter.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Had the cameras out last week to check on turkey movements.

Had a nice 6 point on camera.  Full rack from last year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top