Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2022 7:57:44 PM EDT
I was gifted a boat with a 1969 engine. I was certain I could get it started - but even if I could, the power trim and tilt is busted, the wiring is corroded, the lower unit is cracked, and it is 40 years old. A new 90 hp suzuki installed would be about 11k. I just don't have the funds for that, and even if I did, the boat would be taken out maybe twice a week for 4 months- and I can't justify spending that much for a toy.

I would like to keep it in the 4-5k range. I am thinking about buying a sub 1000 two stroke 90's mercury and then paying to have it rebuilt. I figure that would be 2-3k but could be way off. Another option is to buy a remanufactured one from outboard exchange, but again I don't know if that is the best.

Is it a better option to buy a running outboard, of unknown history or hours, that is in the 3-4k range and leave 1k for buffer?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:10:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#1]
Look online there are some decent deals on new engines from some of the big online sellers and we have a member here who is a Yamaha dealer. How big is this boat ? One thing to keep in mind is that 4 strokes tend to be heavier than 2 strokes. You might want to also wander into a local dealer or 2 and see what they have. Also depending on where you are some places are already banning 2 strokes and trying to force people to modernize and save the planet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Check here for used and new outboards.
Pretty decent rep from what I have read.

https://obparts.com/
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

View Quote

good find, thank you. where did you read reviews on them?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MALT0SE:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MALT0SE:

Fb and other boat forums.

Been watching them to price out a 150hp or a powerhead.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Fb and other boat forums.

Been watching them to price out a 150hp or a powerhead.
View Quote

i just sent them a message to see if they offer a warranty or any sort of guarantee.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Usually, people sell an outboard for a reason.
Often better to buy boat/ motor combo, keep the OB and sell/ scrap the boat.
Plus, can sea trial it.
Look for someone replacing a bass boat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top