Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2024 2:10:33 PM EDT
Some of the scouts wanted to make one.  It's a car camping toy IMO, but the parents are going to go old school for AM coffee with this and a percolator on campouts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:17:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#1]
How big is the lower vent/cleanout?  Nice work.

N/M, I see it now.  Very nice, I’m going to build one and leave it stashed at elk camp.

It’s the little things that make camp a home.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The metal mesh I had was kind of thin, so I tacked two pieces together just above the back lower vent inside the vertical tube.  It was pretty easy to make with the scraps I had in my shop.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ll probably do a direct copy of yours, maybe a bit bigger foot on it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
View Quote

4"x4" tubing instead of 2"x2" would be cool for actual cooking, and I'll probably do one that size eventually.  This was all scrap I had in my shop.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:

4"x4" tubing instead of 2"x2" would be cool for actual cooking, and I'll probably do one that size eventually.  This was all scrap I had in my shop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
Originally Posted By DVCER:

My local distributor has some 10"x12"x.375" cutoffs... I always imagine making a huge rocket stove out of them.  I'd just need a forklift to move it around.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

My local distributor has some 10"x12"x.375" cutoffs... I always imagine making a huge rocket stove out of them.  I'd just need a forklift to move it around.  
View Quote

You should do it!!!

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Rocket stoves are neat. It was too hard to pass up this one from Amazon for $35/shipped. A handful of us in the Amazon deals thread grabbed one, consider for the cost of materials and labor we couldn’t build one for that. They are now $75+.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:06:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice job OP, very cool.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Gonna try it out tonight
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Those are babies. I took a welding class at the local vo-tech last winter and made one out of 6 x 6 x .25 that stands about 3 ft tall. I used a piece of metal grating for the top piece. I still need to attach the cleanout and wood feeder doors on it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BuckMan123:
Those are babies. I took a welding class at the local vo-tech last winter and made one out of 6 x 6 x .25 that stands about 3 ft tall. I used a piece of metal grating for the top piece. I still need to attach the cleanout and wood feeder doors on it.
View Quote

Yeah, I want to do a big one, but this was just to make my am coffee while camping with boy scouts
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Works great after making the bottom intake bigger
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks cool. Good job OP.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I always love these projects!
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I think it looks good
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 4:26:00 AM EDT
[#17]
They are great for cleaning up the yard's twigs as well.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top