Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2024 6:04:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
My gym is hosting a murph challenge next Saturday. I would do it but I'll be at Cola Warrior that weekend, doing my first night run.

I'm 45 years old and agree with everything you say. It is definitely way outside the norm to be fit at my age, especially in my AO.

But my wife is hot and she makes a ton of money so I kinda gotta maintain trophy husband status.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I spent about $1200 on a home gym- bench, three sets of dumbbells, plenty of plates, some ancillaries. I work out three days a week. Don't have to drive to a gym or spend money on a membership. No meds, just vitamins. A lot of preppers look at their equipment as a panacea, neglecting the human component. None of that shit's a lick of good if you're not healthy enough to use it. If the worse really does happen, medical care is going to be in high demand or non-existent. Get healthy now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm just getting started trying to get back into some semblance of "fit". Sitting in front of a computer for work all day is just bad. I started doing walks around the apartment complex (roughly 3/4 mile) wearing a IIIa vest with rifle plates. Granted, I look like the Tactical Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man wearing it but at least it's something. Have cranked down the carbs to just about zero and am slowly starting to also use dumbells and picking up "heavy" stuff (ie cleaning up the place and getting things organized). I'm down 30lbs. so far and want to lose another 30 lbs by the end of the year. I've started throwing some collagen into my coffee in the morning and that seems to be helping with the arthritis in the joints. Every time I go to a doctor's office, they always want to do an X-ray and when they look at it, the first thing out of their mouth is "You know you have some really bad arthritis going on in your joints." Yeah, no duh. Tell me something I don't already know.

I will say 4 years ago right before the rally in Richmond, I did a couple of 6 mile hikes with a group of arfcommers and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I figured after being sedentary for so long, I'd hurt something lugging a 40lb pack for 6 miles. Surprisingly, both times I wasn't even sore the next day. I'll have to work back up to that again. I have no delusions of becoming a HSLD operator operating operationally but at least I should be able to do a reasonable amount of stuff reasonably well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#5]
What I’ve seen lacking with most “Preppers” is already being in a location. Most are city boys doing office work with a wife and kids anchors around their necks. You will not be welcome out in the bush. You will be the hordes of refugees coming to take resources from those of us already out here. The enemy in other words. Now is the time to get out of the cities and start making friends and relationships with the locals.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Insulin stash are lacking.

Being prepared means being fit and needing a lower amount of caloric intake.

I'm with OP.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m not in “Murph” shape, but after work yesterday I did 3x12 dips, 20 minutes on the elliptical and 3x17 pushups (using those handles that rotate), finishing with 25 minutes of increasing inclining treadmill (fast walk). I was pretty soaked.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Agree 100% OP.  At 62, it gets harder to stay in "young man's shape" but I try.  Avoiding injury is the problem now.  Everything hurts and I don't heal nearly as fast, but I'll rest when I'm dead.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Tough one today!!! It said the "real feel" temperature was 97 degrees. Wife did it with us today and used my plate carrier and I wore one with heavier plates. Can't tell if it was the slight weight difference, the heat or that we didn't have any lunch but darn if it kicked my arse today. Got it done, but did walk about 50 yards up a hill on the 2nd mile.
View Quote

I wish the heat index here was only 97. Today topped out at 109 and yesterday was 113. It's crazy for this kind of heat and humidity to be happening in May. If this keeps up, by mid-August nobody will be able to go outside without spontaneous combustion.

That said, I told the wife I'm going to buy an el-cheapo plate carrier and add in blue ice blocks. That's probably going to be the only way I'm going to be able to do a lot of outdoor activities without catching a bad case of heat stroke. Also saw a Camelbak 2.5L backpack on clearance at Academy. May pick that up, too. Gotta do something to deal with the heat when outside.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#14]
not being fit or in poor health that can be fixed is a major failing in "preppers/survivalists" another is location and the one that makes me shake my head the most is opsec (they will go on and on to anyone who will listen to them how they are prepping for X)

the common denominator for these failures is that they are larping, playing at being prepared instead of actually trying to be prepared

some of the best prepared people I have run across either have no idea what "prepping" is or are smart enough to shut the hell up about what they are doing

I was visiting a buddy and looking around his property one day and it hit me that his homestead is ideally set up should things ever go tits up.  He never talks about prepping, none of the things he has done to the property or hobbies he gets involved in are referenced as a good thing if X ever happens.  it's always I love how fresh and tasty these crops I planted are, or I took a class on this because it was fun, or I put in solar cause it saves me money on utilities etc.  

I have also noticed that he tends to keep the aforementioned larpers at arms length and that the pool of friends in his inner circle tend to be similar in attitude/ability

of course, that could all be coincidence but ever since I noticed it, the more convinced I am that it is by choice, although maybe a choice that has become just an ingrained habit at this point.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By InsaneRusher:
of course, that could all be coincidence but ever since I noticed it, the more convinced I am that it is by choice, although maybe a choice that has become just an ingrained habit at this point.
View Quote

I'm going to be blunt, and you are close to hitting the nail on the head: prepping is an affectation to far too many. All the gear is a salve or a feel-good prize, not part of a coherent and well-developed mode of living.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

Definitely another one on the list.

Unfortunately the (piss poor) idea of being able to live amongst tens of thousands of unprepared and system dependent people (cities and suburbs) in a true bad situation has become common place BS amongst newer "preppers." Fiction stories written have pushed this be the "savior of the subdivision" mentality where the one lone prepper becomes the savior of the area. Magically no one shanks him in the middle of the night for his stuff, but everyone bows to his great ideas and "bands together" and all quietly starve together while "Joe prepper" somehow doesn't.

It's easier to read BS like that and try to justify your location, versus making real lifestyle changes.

Family can be your biggest asset or your biggest liability. If you have the standard Amerikan family structure (Mom running it, kids second tier and then the Homer Simpson dunskie Dad) then it's likely towards the liability side of the equation. If the family has real leadership, knows how to physically work together towards a common goal, the kids are behaved, listen the first time without stupid counting exercises (weak parenting) and the family has some experience living with a little hardship, then it's probably more towards the asset side of the equation.

You need families, but the caveat being squared away ones, not the typical upside down BS ones.

I've seen soooo many males that could have been great leaders of their families that relegated themselves to being whiny little B's either because of a overpowering wife (Jezebel spirit) or (more likely) they were not willing to deal with the RESPONSIBILITY of leadership in the family. These "males" unfortunately are the ones that you can spend years trying to develop, train, etc. only to have the wife no longer "let them" (key word to look for=nutless) continue to train/prepare, etc.

This sort of thing, like the PT in the OP, are the serious issues most "preppers" are avoiding, while wasting time wargaming "lists" of things they will never acquire or never do.
View Quote

https://canonpress.com/products/the-household-and-the-war-for-the-cosmos
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:12:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snubfan] [#17]
Skills to stay alive
Resources to continue to stay alive

Lack of a pre-established network coupled with a belief you alone can defend yourself/family from hordes of starving, desperate people who have nothing to lose.

Ability not to become a target (many will attract attention via lights, wood burner use, food smells, livestock, water, etc)

Health issues (illness, injuries, meds, sodium, potassium, magnesium, calories/proteins)

Most preppers are good for a short time event, but anything longer and the ability to stay alive drops quickly
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I either run or cycle most days. I do push-ups daily as well as crunches. I started at a max weight of 206 and now weigh 167 with my body fat just under 17% and dropping. At 48 I feel pretty good about what I have accomplished in the past months. I have a 5K I will be running at the end of June but it wont be any challenge at all as my daily route is a huge amount of hills so a nice flat park will be...well, a walk in the park.

The truth is at 206 I carried my weight well and no one would have called me fat...but obviously I really was as my muscle mass has increased and I have toned down to my Marine Corps weight. It was so easy to tell myself I was in bettter shape than most other people so I must not be that bad. However general society is a terrible metric to measure yourself by and I finally got off my butt and putting in the effort. I actually have a thread about it in GD.

Regardless, physical fitness is a major prep in my mind. I think it is in everyone's mind, we just lie to ourselves about our real world conditioning.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 1:54:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ADKRebel] [#22]
I hate running, I'm not built for it.  But I love to hike.  So I go to the gym to help condition myself for harder hikes.  I'm going to NH next month on a hike that will span 4 high peaks, over 13 miles and 5000 feet of elevation gain.

Last night in the gym I did 3 sets of 13 dips, 3 sets of benching 135 lbs x22 reps, 3 sets of overhead press 120lbs, 3 x 15 reps.  In between the upper body "push" sets I would do a cardio exercise that focused on my quads, finishing with 15 minutes on the elliptical.

One of the exercises is stepping up on a knee high box 25 times, then 25 more times leading with the opposite leg. 3 sets.  Then 60 seconds of plyometric lateral step ups, 3 times. This is done on a shorter box.

I'm in my 50's.  I don't know why more people don't prioritize their physical health as they get older.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top