Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

PSA Diabetes- CGM (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]
My son was diagnosed with T1D at 3. He has been using Dexcom since he was 4 and it's great. He was also on Omnipod and switched to the new one this year that works with the Dexcom and it's lowered his A1C to the best it's ever been.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

For Dexcom G6 it's somewhere around $700/mo for the sensors. Not sure what the transmitters cost.
View Quote

Try going through Pill Pack through Amazon. We pay 35 per month compared to 700ish every 3 months with all others.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Cut out the carbs, go keto.  Exercise regularly.  Keep track of your sugars, IE your CGM.
View Quote

Not for T1, though it probably doesn't hurt.

T1 & T2 really should be considered two distinct issues.  T1 is a disease; T2 is usually a symptom.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By midmo:

T1 & T2 really should be considered two distinct issues.  T1 is a disease; T2 is usually a symptom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Cut out the carbs, go keto.  Exercise regularly.  Keep track of your sugars, IE your CGM.

It always creates a shitstorm of retardation in GD too when these threads pop up lol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:09:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#5]

View Quote

Go Keto they said.

Meanwhile my dad dies of ketoacidosis.

It will be fine they said.

Cutting back on carbs is fine. Eliminating them all together can be dangerous for a T1. Have to do it carefully and make damn sure you don't have highs or dawn phenomenon that can put you into DKA.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Go Keto they said.

Cutting back on carbs is fine. Eliminating them all together can be dangerous for a T1. Have to do it carefully and make damn sure you don't have highs or dawn phenomenon that can put you into DKA.
View All Quotes

Go Keto they said.

Good clarification, thanks.  I don't have a lot of experience with T1; I was just pointing out that the difference is (obviously) important if someone's looking at therapeutic diets.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Good clarification, thanks.  I don't have a lot of experience with T1; I was just pointing out that the difference is (obviously) important if someone's looking at therapeutic diets.
View Quote

Everyone in my family on my dad's side is T1D. Unfortunately that includes me.

It's totally different to your point and unfortunately there is far more effort put into T2D education with the general population since it affects so many more people and fra kly can be put into remission if you give effort.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Now get it on your watch!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/1000010319-3193123.jpg
View Quote
What's the details with the watch set-up?  That's pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Libertas:
What's the details with the watch set-up?  That's pretty sweet.
View Quote

Watch is a Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar

Watch Face is the Mashakes Gearmin V3, paid version (<$5)

Dexcom G6 with Nightscout integration via Azure. There are YT videos how to get Azure up and running for Nightscout. It's not hard, just need to follow the steps.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Some people take serious meds so they can continue to eat like shit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Watch is a Garmin Fenix 6X Pro Solar

Watch Face is the Mashakes Gearmin V3, paid version (<$5)

Dexcom G6 with Nightscout integration via Azure. There are YT videos how to get Azure up and running for Nightscout. It's not hard, just need to follow the steps.
View Quote
Wonder is similar set-up would work with Libre.  My insurance won't cover Dexcom
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Wonder is similar set-up would work with Libre.  My insurance won't cover Dexcom
View Quote

Nightscout works with Libre.

Setup is similar but slightly different. You will still use Nightacout but you'll have different parameters to enable Libre vs Dexcom.

Should be some YT videos out there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
If anyone's interested, CGM's can be found here:
https://www.mindyscookingobsession.com/roasted-hearts-of-palm-and-artichoke/

They charge $199/month for the CGM, and $40/month (or $199 annually) to access their app.

I haven't tried it.  I have only watched a number of videos on their YouTube channel (mostly about metabolic health).
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
I talked to my PCP about getting one of these (I'm T2D) and she said insurance wouldn't cover it unless I was actively using insulin.  

Anyone know how much they cost if you buy with cash?  You can't get a straight answer on any of the CGM sites that I've been on without giving them an e-mail and other personal data.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CavVet:
Originally Posted By Stump70:
Price?

Not sure of the cash price

My insurance covers all but ten bucks
I talked to my PCP about getting one of these (I'm T2D) and she said insurance wouldn't cover it unless I was actively using insulin.  

Anyone know how much they cost if you buy with cash?  You can't get a straight answer on any of the CGM sites that I've been on without giving them an e-mail and other personal data.  

Libre 3 is around $150 for 2 sensors that last 14 days each with goodrx. You do need a script.  @Merlin
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Dexcom6 linked to Omnipod5.

View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:41:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#16]
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:

Libre 3 is around $150 for 2 sensors that last 14 days each with goodrx. You do need a script.  @Merlin
View All Quotes
Price?

So $150 for the CGM itself plus the cost of the sensors?  How much do the sensors cost?  And are those CVS- or Amazon-able?  

For $150, it might be worth it; just gotta convince the Doc.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Libre 3 the sensor goes on your arm and is read by an app on your phone.  There may be a standalone sensor, they didn't say and I didn't ask.

The app runs all the time. I've dropped from 8.7 to 6.8 in a week

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Libre 2 and U-500 insulin cut my A1C from 12.5 to 6.9, it’s been a game changer.  I wish it had smartwatch integration.  I’m sure they get there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Libre 3 the sensor goes on your arm and is read by an app on your phone.  There may be a standalone sensor, they didn't say and I didn't ask.

View Quote

I misinterpreted what he wrote!  So $150 for 30 28 days of sensor data!  

There has to be a way to make that cheaper.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Trying to figure out how a monitor actually lowers your A1C?

Didn't you actually lower it with diet and exercise?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I had one for about a year but then my insurance stopped covering the sensors, which have to be replaced every 2 weeks. I got one after having an A1C level of 8.

When I first got it I had one high reading of 250 after eating some of the bread they serve at O'charley's. My last high reading was that first one in January of 2023. Did not have any for the next year, but had lots of low readings. I got to where the lower level would often sound a alarm in the middle of the night or when I was exercising.

My doctor told me to reprogram it for a low alarm of 59 as opposed to 69 (standard setting) and it was still waking me up every night until he reduced and eliminated some of the medication I was on.

I was on Metformin - not any more - and Jardiance, which I still take a half of a 25 mg pill per day, but I think the biggest thing that helped was completely cutting out sugar, high carb foods like regular bread, and increasing my protein intake. I lost some weight too.

When my insurance said they would no longer pay for the sensors I didn't really care, since a year later I think have figured out the whole problem now anyway, with my A1C back to normal levels.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Price?
View Quote

I get everything free through the VA.  My doc is
really up on this  stuff.  Also, the Clarify app sends
her information.
I blew my sensor off with my shirt and it showed (erroneously)
blood sugar to be 40!  My doc got an alarm and
my phone was out so she called emts.  Very reassuring
as I don't want to die in a diabetic coma.  

I love the cgm because I don't have to stick myself
20 times a day, which I didn't, so now I can DO
something about my bs.  A miracle device.

Also, pretty sure the apple watch works for dexcom
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I believe the sensors, which have to be replaced every 14 days, are around $80 each, that does not include the reader, but you might be able to download an app if you have a phone that will do that. My 9 year old Samsung would not.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

The Garmin uses an estimator based on other measurements.  Not useful for tracking glucose.

View Quote

You are mistaken. My watch pulls my glucose values out of the cloud via Nightacout. It's the exact CGM reading.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I pay more than that for my G6 AFTER insurance.

Without insurance $150/mo is downright affordable.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#27]

I pay more than that for my G6 AFTER insurance.

Without insurance $150/mo is downright affordable.
View Quote

Is your insurance crappy or is that g6 that high?

I paid 10 dollars for two libre 3 (one month) good insurance that I think paid 80 or 90 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:

View Quote

Better feedback leads to more accurate insulin usage and it gives a much better view of what impacts your numbers.  Some part it it mental as it helps with the discipline to not eat things that make your glucose spike.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I've had it for years. My a1c started climbing. Switched docs, she recommended a CGM, the libre 3.

It's only been a week, but there is a huge change.

The first 2 days I ate like normal, and was bouncing between 200 and 300. The last 5 days I've been between 100 and 185 high.

If you have the beetus and are trying to get under control, these things are awesome.
View Quote

I don't understand. This is a monitor right? Why has there been a change in reading? Are you really saying you haven't made ANY changes and yet somehow the monitor is showing improvement? That doesn't really make any sense.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#30]
First, you can cure T2 with diet.  October 2023, I spent 2 days in the hospital with DKA, A1c 11.6.  Cut out carbs and intermittent fasting, no drugs, January A1c 5.4.

I have a Libre 3.  Surprising insurance pays for it, even though I do not take insulin or other drugs.  I was prescribed insulin, but stopped taking it after 2 days.  T2 diabetes is a problem of too much insulin, hyperinsulinemia, not to little.  Thus imo, giving a T2 insulin is analogous to treating an alcoholic with scotch.

I am using the CGM to experiment.  Right now I am testing how my sugars react to carbs and allulose.

Try to keep you sugars below 140.  Even at 120, your brain is converting glucose to fructose which is harmful.  Those with gout, there as a strong correlation with fructose.  Your body converts it to uric acid.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bassador:
First, you can cure T2 with diet.  October 2023, I spent 2 days in the hospital with DKA, A1c 11.6.  Cut out carbs and intermittent fasting, no drugs, January A1c 5.4.

I have a Libre 3.  Surprising insurance pays for it, even though I do not take insulin or other drugs.  I was prescribed insulin, but stopped taking it after 2 days.  T2 diabetes is a problem of too much insulin, hyperinsulinemia, not to little.  Thus imo, giving a T2 insulin is analogous to treating an alcoholic with scotch.

I am using the CGM to experiment.  Right now I am testing how my sugars react to carbs and allulose.

Try to keep you sugars below 140.  Even at 120, your brain is converting glucose to fructose which is harmful.  Those with gout, there as a strong correlation with fructose.  Your body converts it to uric acid.
View Quote

I see you too are a Robert Lustig fan.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:32:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CavVet] [#32]
Originally Posted By ProfessorFalken:

I don't understand. This is a monitor right? Why has there been a change in reading? Are you really saying you haven't made ANY changes and yet somehow the monitor is showing improvement? That doesn't really make any sense.
View Quote

I did make some changes.

Some in portions, a couple in diet, mostly by not eating until my level drops.

I was eating anything, anytime.

Day one I ate like before. I was at 200 plus and ate a meal and went to over 300.

By day three I was waiting until it dropped low green zone (100-140) then eating. A little more attention to fewer carbs and more fiber.

By day 8 it was quickly dripping to 80-120, and after a meal rising to 180-210.

It was more lining meals up with levels, instead of blindly eating whatever whenever

I forgot to add, the apps have numbers in a few different categories. I'm now showing 90 percent in the green zone, whereas before I was never green zone (80-180)
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Uric acid causes inflammation and insulin resistance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Your liver decides whether fructose becomes glucose or fat...not your brain.

Which is why HFCS is so dangerous.

We must remember, the original design was to store fat.
EVERY calorie your body views as 'spare' will be stored as fat.
Your body wants you to be fat...to survive.
That was useful, when carbs were few and seasonal.
Now?
Now it's killing us.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Price?
View Quote

cash price with GoodRX discount is about $75-80/month, depending on pharmacy.

retail is about $150/month.

this is for the Freestyle Libre 2 and 3.

the dexcom G6/G7 system is in the $250-300 /month range cash price IIRC.  no idea about GoodRX discount price.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#36]
So $150 for the CGM itself plus the cost of the sensors?  How much do the sensors cost?  And are those CVS- or Amazon-able?  

Thanks!

View All Quotes
Price?

Thanks!

the sensors are the CGM.  you link the sensor to your supported smart phone and that's it.
I pay $80 for two sensors from CVS or Walgreens with the GoodRX discount.

my kaiser Primary care doctor can't prescribe them because I am not on daily insulin, so I use a Web doctor to write a script for them instead.

they do offer a stand alone reader that you could use instead of your smart phone, but it isn't required unless you are using an unsupported smart phone.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

yes, the GoodRX discount coupon brings it down to ~$80 for 28 days of sensors.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Dexcom Stelo has been recently approved for non-RX use.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:04:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Libre Linkup application is awesome for checking up on someone remotely.

My 68 year old mother in law has pretty advanced Alzheimer's.  She recognizes us (most of the time ) but has issues with remembering things from 30 seconds ago.  Like my grandmother would say, the cheese done slipped off her cracker 😞.

Her 80 year old husband had his shit wired pretty tight until a few months ago.  Now his memory is catching up, and meds weren't happening for her as they should.  

I started bagging up her individual doses (morning, noon and night) into a daily bag, which has helped immensely.  

She's also running a Libre 3 sensor tied to his phone (he can text, and that's about it, but his phone has NFC, so that's great).  

I'm using the Libre Linkup application to see the last 12 hours of readings from his phone.  That way I can call and check up if she's running a little low.  Her glucose is in the good range 69% of the time for the last two weeks (really the best we could hope for).  It'll spike a little high, but she's been diabetic so long that her Dr isn't worried about hitting 300 or really even 350, but not hitting 44 like she did a few weeks ago that put her in the hospital for several days.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:13:56 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

My mother in law got a separate meter that can pair with the sensor, but it's one or the other, not phone AND meter.  The meter failed to read properly last time, which resulted in not detecting the low glucose event that sent her to the ER.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By G-lock:

Better feedback leads to more accurate insulin usage and it gives a much better view of what impacts your numbers.  Some part it it mental as it helps with the discipline to not eat things that make your glucose spike.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By G-lock:
Originally Posted By DKUltra:

This is true. For the year I wore them, I could fairly quickly see what various foods or exercise had what effect and I think constantly being able to monitor it helped me develop habits that reduced my A1C to normal levels.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
I'm glad i'm not the only one with G6 compression issues. I just switched to the G7 so haven't had any noticeable issues with that one yet. Despite  them saying the G7's should now go on your arm i'm still putting it on my midsection and it seems to be doing ok. I typically do 1-2 finger stick calibrations within the first 24 hours just to have some peace of mind. Usually that helps minimize drift over the 10 days.

I have noticed when I was on the G6 that the "baking" thing seemed to help with it going crazy in the first 24 hours. Usually within the first 1-3 hours of a new sensor it would just act like I was going crazy low. I'd do a few fingerstick calibrations then it would slowly unfuck itself and get back to normal and everything would be ok. Putting the sensor in early seemed to reduce the issues with that. My G7's have done it a little bit but they seem to recover much faster.
View Quote

I have the Dexcom G7. Was curious about the midsection usage. They told me the arm would be better so have been doing that. However I am always bumping it on stuff and think the stomach would be a better option.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I used a Libre Link 14-day for a few years, and it was quite helpful, although I found accuracy to be unreliable.  It was usually plus/minus 10-20 points compared to finger sticks.
Now that Mounjaro and metformin, along with diet and (some) exercise have got my A1C at 5.6, I've transitioned back to twice-daily finger sticks.  Less convenient, for sure, but about half the monthly cost.

My daily numbers after 3-4 hours fast generally range 85-100.  I'm quite happy with that.

For someone whose glucose is not well controlled yet, the CGM is a great tool.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:03:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ATLDiver] [#44]
View Quote

Yes, I used Knight guard and gluroo on my Apple Watch for the Libre. I’ve since switched to the G7 which has a native app.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Geohans:
Some people take serious meds so they can continue to eat like shit.
View Quote

And many don't.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By MilitaryJoe:

I have the Dexcom G7. Was curious about the midsection usage. They told me the arm would be better so have been doing that. However I am always bumping it on stuff and think the stomach would be a better option.
View Quote

I'm using the G7.  I've had good luck moving the sensor toward the back of my arm so I'm not hitting door frames etc.   Above the triceps below the delt.  Oriented with sensor probe wire up.  Probe wire down and I get irritation from the probe.  Also using the overpatches below.  They work.  Strong adhesive so get placement right the first time.  Peeling them off at end of sensor life sucks.  

Amazon Product
  • Waterproof and Sweatproof: Lexcam G7, Libre 2 and 3 Patch helps protect the continuous glucose monitor from water damage and damage from sweat, ensuring it can function properly and remain accurate even during physical activity or in wet environments.

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Taking my first one off tomorrow

Any tricks? Grab and pull? Pull edge tape first then pluck?

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

I prefer to do it in the shower.

But if it's still stuck and readings are stable why aren't you just restarting it?

xdrip+ says restart that sensor til it's falling apart.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

But if it's still stuck and readings are stable why aren't you just restarting it?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

can you restart a G7?

I thought that that hack was only for the G6
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By JAR0023:

I'm using the G7.  I've had good luck moving the sensor toward the back of my arm so I'm not hitting door frames etc.   Above the triceps below the delt.  Oriented with sensor probe wire up.  Probe wire down and I get irritation from the probe.  Also using the overpatches below.  They work.  Strong adhesive so get placement right the first time.  Peeling them off at end of sensor life sucks.  

www.amazon.com/dp/B09WZMFS91

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JAR0023:
Originally Posted By MilitaryJoe:

www.amazon.com/dp/B09WZMFS91

Thanks for the info and link!
Page / 3
PSA Diabetes- CGM (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top