Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/13/2024 2:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: green_bullet]
Went to my local Academy today. Almost no rifle mags. Sales guy said Academy is no longer selling any magazine with higher than 20rds. No ARs either.

Oh well. KYGun Co is up the road and has better pricing and selection.

Wont shop at Academy on principle now
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm starting to wonder how long Academy will last at all. It sure sucks now compared to before it was sold. It is just a glorified clothing retail store now that only makes a half-assed attempt at stocking any actual sporting goods. Inventory is way down on all of the hunting and fishing stuff last time I was in there.Fucking bean counters are driving it into the ground.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought they just sold Jordons to hoodrats.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
A new one opened up last year here in VA, I had high hopes for it based on things I'd heard online. It sucks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Leadership is becoming anti-hunting and anti-fishing.

GD has anti hunting and anti fishing treads couple times a month.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I think they quit selling black guns after they were sued by the church families for selling one to the POS who did the massacre in Sutherland Springs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:
Went to my local Academy today. Almost no rifle mags. Sales guy said Academy is no longer selling any magazine with higher than 30rds. No ARs either.

Oh well. KYGun Co is up the road and has better pricing and selection.

Wont shop at Academy on principle now
View Quote

I would think that shopping at KY Gun Co. would be a given.

The two Academy stores here in Columbia don't have jack schidt anymore.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Sales guy lied.

Academy doesn’t sell mags that have a capacity higher than 20 rounds, and they haven’t for at least two years.

No AR’s for the same reasons.

They got smacked hard after one of the mass shootings.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Sports Authority did it first. Look at them now.

In other news Dick's is having financial troubles.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Academy sells things you buy with disposable income. There is not much of that floating around these days.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperX925:
Sales guy lied.

Academy doesn’t sell mags that have a capacity higher than 20 rounds, and they haven’t for at least two years.

View Quote

All the local Academy Sports here still sell 30 round PMags for 223 and 7.62x39, Hexmags and MFT 30s too.

Might just be your local management.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure glad we are getting a Scheels in Tulsa.

We also have Bass Pro but I bet Scheels puts a hurt on them.

Dicks right down the road from the new Scheels is expanding into the Buy Buy Baby and BB&B stores that neighbored them to create a Super Dick's.  Not going to be enough.

Then there's Academy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
The last one I went to in Tallahassee was a freaking train wreck. I'm pretty sure that the demographics of the overwhelming number of employees visible had something to do with the complete chaos and disorganization that was present. Crap was just dropped all across the store, wherever there was an empty shelf. I finally left in disgust after being unable to find anything on my list.

It's a shame, as I used to spend a LOT of money there over the years. Went it started going downhill, they apparently just slammed their foot down on the accelerator pedal. What a shame.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By raider00:
I thought they just sold Jordons to hoodrats.
View Quote

“Sold…”
lol.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By _DR:

All the local Academy Sports here still sell 30 round PMags for 223 and 7.62x39, Hexmags and MFT 30s too.

View Quote

Same. Prices are a little high for something you can get online easily, but they have them. Bass Pro, too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Rogue7:
A new one opened up last year here in VA, I had high hopes for it based on things I'd heard online. It sucks.
View Quote

I was about to post the same thing about the Short Pump location.

I was completely underwhelmed after reading so the hype over the years here.  It's terrible, poor selection, prices are like any other big box store.

Not to mention it's desserted all hours of the day.  I bet they close it with the next two years tops.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#16]
The Tipping Point: When sporting goods stores begin stocking and selling more clothing than gear, the downward spiral has begun.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:56:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FJ803FE] [#17]
Once a company goes public, they have to answer to their investors. If someone like Blackrock or Vanguard take a 10% ownership, they basically get cucked into pushing down ESG requirements and that's where you the shift in the company's operations. Even without that, the media can write hit pieces on your company and manipulate stock prices by changing perception of the public. So to do derisk the possibility, ownership capitulates and starts proactively rebranding their image.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MedmanKS:

Same. Prices are a little high for something you can get online easily, but they have them. Bass Pro, too.
View Quote

Take a close look at those 30 round mags next time you go.  

The ones in the TX stores are 30 round bodies limited to 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#19]
They already fucked the dog.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By opnblstr:
I'm sure glad we are getting a Scheels in Tulsa.

We also have Bass Pro but I bet Scheels puts a hurt on them.

Dicks right down the road from the new Scheels is expanding into the Buy Buy Baby and BB&B stores that neighbored them to create a Super Dick's.  Not going to be enough.

Then there's Academy.
View Quote

Typical, they think making their Dick's bigger is gonna solve their problems.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PTR32Sooner] [#21]
Sales guy lied.

View Quote

WHere are yall seeing this? I was in my local academy Saturday and they had tons of 30 round AR and AK PMAGS as well as other brands
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#22]
How about we take the newly freed up $12.5b charity money and buy a real sports store that sells gun, magazines and reloading supplies that GD wants.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:01:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#23]
Originally Posted By naes:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Don't think so (here anyway) they say 30 rounds on the packaging.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Academy's been pretty shitty since around 2020, and when covid jacked up ammo prices, they've never come back down to where they were, use to be if you were in a hurry could grab a box of ammo for maybe $1 more then online and some bulk deals were pretty good, last trip there I think cheapest box of brass 9mm was like $15. Pretty sure I saw some 30 rounders though, mag prices were never great there so I don't pay much attention to mag and crappy holster aisle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Sales guy lied.

Still 30rd Pmags at my local academy, haven't looked at rifles in a while though
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I brought this mag issue up a couple of months ago and was told here I was wrong.

Uh, Oh!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Sales guy lied.

View Quote

Yes, my error meant 20rds. Updated OP
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By peanutman:

View Quote

I hate fishing! I only hate hunting a little less than fishing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Sales guy lied.

Nope.

Go take another look at those mags. The P-Mags are 10 rounders pinned in a mag the size of a 30.

The MFT mags are 20 rounders in a 30 round body.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Go take another look.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Hunting needs to be a constitutional right. Some states have written the right to hunt into their constitution in recent years. I believe without hunting, the 2nd will be abolished.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Same for local store
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#33]
That Short Pump Academy does suck.
I think sporting goods retail is dying in many areas just like general retail big box stores did in the 90s and 00's when they fought and lost vs Amazon and Walmart. It's the same pattern of consolidation, then slow decay of the "winners".

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Didn't Academy already do this once?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By FIRE1:
I'm starting to wonder how long Academy will last at all. It sure sucks now compared to before it was sold. It is just a glorified clothing retail store now that only makes a half-assed attempt at stocking any actual sporting goods. Inventory is way down on all of the hunting and fishing stuff last time I was in there.Fucking bean counters are driving it into the ground.
View Quote

Bean counters aren't the problem. Activist investors are the problem. They are working at eliminating all big box store gun sales.
When there are no more national chains carrying firearms, the leftists will say, are they aren't commonly used because you can't buy them easily. Add in the AFT having zero tolerance policy forcing hundreds independents to give up and they will get rid of gun ownership without having to pass laws.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Demmos figured out you don’t have to sue the manufacturers, just the transferors.  Pretty soon the exorbitant cost of 8 or 9 figure liability will be passed on to us, and let’s face it, there’s only so much you’ll pay for a 30rd mag or an AR.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By PTR32Sooner:
WHere are yall seeing this? I was in my local academy Saturday and they had tons of 30 round AR and AK PMAGS as well as other brands
View Quote
Bro, you're chillin' the buzz!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I've never seen anything at Academy that I couldn't get elsewhere for less.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Don't think so (here anyway) they say 30 rounds on the packaging.

View Quote

The two i bought saturday were all loaded with 30 rounds
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I dunt  shoot nuthin lest I'm a gonna eats it hurrr.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:36:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#41]
View Quote

Our local academy is still packed full of shit.  Off the top of my head, weight lifting, boxing, MMA sparing gear, tennis, soccer, golf, baseball, softball, bicycling, fishing, archery, kayaking, camping, and outdoor smokers all around the perimeter walls.  The clothes and shoes take up less than 1/3 of their retail floor space.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Has academy sports lost a customer?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Boy Scouts, Nascar, Bud and now Academy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Crusader44:
The last one I went to in Tallahassee was a freaking train wreck. I'm pretty sure that the demographics of the overwhelming number of employees visible had something to do with the complete chaos and disorganization that was present. Crap was just dropped all across the store, wherever there was an empty shelf. I finally left in disgust after being unable to find anything on my list.

It's a shame, as I used to spend a LOT of money there over the years. Went it started going downhill, they apparently just slammed their foot down on the accelerator pedal. What a shame.
View Quote

Academy's are the last of the depressing department store era.

I don't understand how they're still around. My only guess is that little league sports keep enough foot traffic heading their way.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Our local academy is still packed full of shit.  Off the top of my head, weight lifting, boxing, MMA sparing gear, tennis, soccer, golf, baseball, softball, bicycling, fishing, archery, kayaking, camping, and outdoor smokers all around the perimeter walls.  The clothes and shoes take up less than 1/3 of their retail floor space.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Same with ours, full team sports departments, golf, camping, etc. Clothing is in the center of the store, but a lot of it is related to outdoors, workout, or work
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:54:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#47]
Originally Posted By thesquidliest:
I think they quit selling black guns after they were sued by the church families for selling one to the POS who did the massacre in Sutherland Springs.
View Quote

Part of the suit was that the shooter had out of state ID and the transfer included a 30 round mag that was illegal in his state of residence (Colorado I believe) probably a stipulation of ending the suit was that they would no longer carry standard capacity mags. Lawyers made a deal.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#48]
The AR market is so over saturated I can't imagine anyone is making money in it.  When you can get a perfectly serviceable AR from PSA, etal for $400 there's just no point in staying in that market.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Academy was the best when it was a hunting/outdoors/army surplus store
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Academy was the best when it was a hunting/outdoors/army surplus store
View Quote
Yes.  After the Gochman family sold the biz, the downward trend really started.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top