Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2024 9:54:08 AM EDT
My 2024 manufactured barrel only says "5.56X45" while my 2023 manufactured barrel says "5.56X45 Made in the USA". What are the barrel markings (and approx date of manufacture) of YOUR AUG?

Why would Steyr remove the "Made in the USA" markings on their newest barrels? Aesthetics? Some legal BS? Less to do to speed up production? Maybe the guy that did the "Made in the USA" markings was out sick?

Per the Steyr website: "Like all AUG barrels currently being produced, these barrels are cold-hammer forged in Steyr, Austria before being machined and assembled in the USA"...

p.s. Both barrels appear nearly identical (other than the "Made in the USA" markings on the older one) and shoot about the same with very slight differences between loads they favor.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I do know that Steyr USA has been evolving it's AUG manufacturing processes.    

This thread has barrel info mixed in.  Hope it helps.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Steyr-Aug-Receiver-History-Questions-Cast-or-Billet-or-Forged-Aluminum-/43-550972/

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
My 2024 manufactured barrel only says "5.56X45" while my 2023 manufactured barrel says "5.56X45 Made in the USA". What are the barrel markings (and approx date of manufacture) of YOUR AUG?

Why would Steyr remove the "Made in the USA" markings on their newest barrels? Aesthetics? Some legal BS? Less to do to speed up production? Maybe the guy that did the "Made in the USA" markings was out sick?

Per the Steyr website: "Like all AUG barrels currently being produced, these barrels are cold-hammer forged in Steyr, Austria before being machined and assembled in the USA"...

p.s. Both barrels appear nearly identical (other than the "Made in the USA" markings on the older one) and shoot about the same with very slight differences between loads they favor.
View Quote
the post 2019 barrels are Austrian blanks that are finished here. Steyr US cuts them, bores out the chamber , crowns them, gas block , nitrided, etc.  true Austrian bbls haven’t been imported decades. The main difference is the Austrians fit and number each barrel to each AUG, chrome line them and they get a double finish.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My 2020 production A3M1 does not have ‘Made in USA’ on barrel.

My new .300BLK barrel does have it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
In much of Europe bbls are required to be serialized.

If you get a complete AUG rifle in Europe then the receiver bolt carrier and Barrel should all be serialized together the same matching.

However they do make barrels as accessories or conversions and they still have to be serialized.

So you could have a barrel that has a serial number on it but if it's sold separately as an accessory or conversion might not have any matching receiver or bolt carrier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top