Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 10:07:14 PM EDT
I have an older TW LTP and I need a task light. I want a light with white and IR. Not sure what else I need to look for?

I'm looking at the Princeton Tec lights right now. Any others I need to look at?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm cheap, so I use a streamlight sidewinder.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The MPLS (not the Charge but the old school MPLS) has been my go-to task light for years. One red, one white bulb.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Inimicalone:
I'm cheap, so I use a streamlight sidewinder.
View Quote

This.  They kinda stick out and hit on shit but ours have been indestructible. Ours have white, red, blue, and ir with 3 power levels for each. Something I bought as a starter that just keeps on working. The oring on mine disintegrated awhile ago and it gets water inside but works anyway.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:09:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: XTCBX] [#6]
The TNVC SF vampire head on a S&S M-Ax body/mount is what I’ve settled on for both my ballistic and bump helmets. They are the best. Full stop. Pricy…but allows you to basically ditch everything else.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By XTCBX:
The TNVC SF vampire head on a S&S M-Ax body/mount is what I’ve settled on for both my ballistic and bump helmets. They are the best. Full stop. Pricy…but allows you to basically ditch everything else.
View Quote

Re-direct the hotspot of the light so you're using the spill to illuminate things, but still sort of overkill for a admin/task light.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:20:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: XTCBX] [#8]
The TNVC version has low (comes on first) & high for both IR & white. The white low is like 5 lumen…it is…super rad.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#9]
The TNVC version has low (comes on first) & high for both IR & white. The white low is like 5 lumen…it is…super rad.
View Quote

Nice. I wasn't aware of that feature on the TNVC model.

Edit: Missed the post above stating that as well. I might need to buy one now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Can anybody explain why the Princeton Tec Switch is the only model in their tactical lineup that only has IPX4 rating? Every other model has IPX7.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Charge PRO and Switch MPLS and honestly prefer to the MPLS. Fewer options to click through and a lower profile. The CR2016 vs CR123 is a consideration, but we're all carrying extra batteries anyway, so tossing a couple CR2016s into the mix isn't a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By javemtr:
Can anybody explain why the Princeton Tec Switch is the only model in their tactical lineup that only has IPX4 rating? Every other model has IPX7.
View Quote

I'm thinking due to the design of the battery cap.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Charge Pro with IR has never let me down.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I use an Inforce WML whi/IR. It’s cheap, mounts low, and can switch from IR to white easily with just the flip of a lever.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
I'm thinking due to the design of the battery cap.
View Quote

Could be, but the very similar Switch Rail model is also rated IPX7.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:06:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#16]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the detailed answers, that helps a lot!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#19]
For a task light that does white, IR, blue/red/green with 3 levels of brightness, strobe, dual fuel CR123A or AA batteries it's hard to beat a Stream light Stalk
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MunnyShot:
For a task light that does white, IR, blue/red/green with 3 levels of brightness, strobe, dual fuel CR123A or AA batteries it's hard to beat a Stream light Stalk
View Quote

It's got some good features, but the controls seemed confusing. It also sticks out a lot.

I was looking at it to replace a Switch Pro that I lost, but ended up buying another because I was accustomed to the single button operation.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:32:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#21]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:
The MPLS (not the Charge but the old school MPLS) has been my go-to task light for years. One red, one white bulb.
View Quote

I use the MPLS with the CR123 battery (MPLS Charge Pro?) ... Red/White.  It's really really good and works good on TW LTP or Ops Core style helmet side mounts.  The little aimable lamp is nice, too.

They make white/Red/IR version too... but I have the built in IR illuminator on my NODS if I need IR task illumination.  I got the White/Red only MLPS because I'd rather just do admin stuff with a dim red light looking down under my NODs with my own eyes.  Even with simple pinhole focus flip caps, focusing on up-close stuff with nods is a bit of a pain having to fiddle around.  The iris eclipse rings were even more a hassle to fiddle around with stuff and I got rid of them after one outing.  It's supe reasy to just hit the MLPS button for dim red light and glance under my NODs to do something real quick.

I don't bother with a bright umbrella IR light, but if i did want one, there's a gazillion cheap 850-940nm very bright china LED falshlights you can get on amazon and stick to the back of your helmet aimed upwards.  The INFORCE IR lights are a good cheaper option for this too.  I don't want to drop SF Vampire or Kiji-10 money on a light dedicated to my helmet.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Petzl Strix IR
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

It's got some good features, but the controls seemed confusing. It also sticks out a lot.

I was looking at it to replace a Switch Pro that I lost, but ended up buying another because I was accustomed to the single button operation.
View Quote

The Princeton coin battery task lights are definitely going to have the lowest/thinnest profile, but are not as universal for light output as with AA or CR123A lights. For me the Stalk is easily operated with a rotary 4 dial and a multi use single button that controls intensity brightness and color selection. As far as size, it has a lower profile then my ARC adapters so it's a non issue on my rig. I prefer to run a Princeton on my Crye night cap where I try and keep everything at a minimum, but having options is always a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

I use the MPLS with the CR123 battery (MPLS Charge Pro?) ... Red/White.  It's really really good and works good on TW LTP or Ops Core style helmet side mounts.  The little aimable lamp is nice, too.

I got the White/Red only MLPS because I'd rather just do admin stuff with a dim red light looking down under my NODs with my own eyes.  Even with simple pinhole focus flip caps, focusing on up-close stuff with nods is a bit of a pain having to fiddle around.  The iris eclipse rings were even more a hassle to fiddle around with stuff and I got rid of them after one outing.  It's supe reasy to just hit the MLPS button for dim red light and glance under my NODs to do something real quick.
View Quote

Pretty much my philosophy. In 10+ years of working under NODs I never found a good way to do admin tasks with NODs on. It's all a trade off so I'd rather have a dim red light for my use case. For serious white throw or IR I have a Surefire KM1V head on an S&S M-AX on the other side. Low weight, low profile, does the job well. I used to just wear a headlamp around my neck but ended up snagging it a few times.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Princeton Tec MPLS, 1 Red and 1 White is what I use.  

I run a PVS14 with built in IR with a Matblock Tarsier so I don't need IR for my task light.   Red is great for most tasks, but anything medical I'd want white light.  Definitely need red though for your general task use, IMO.  

I see a lot of guys running massive lights on their helmets, but I wanted to go as light weight a humanly possible since even my TW Exfil SL ballistic is heavier than I'd like already.   The light output is actually bright enough to provide enough illumination in a small room anyways if need be, I don't need massive night into day lumens for SSE or tasks.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I've gone through three of the MPLS lights so far.  I need to stop buying these.

I've gone through two of the MPLS Charge Pro lights.  I am on my third unit, shame on me.

Princeton tec was responsive to the warranty claims I made.

I have begun replacing the Charge Pro lights with Streamlight Sidewinder Stalk lights.  So far, those are holding up pretty well.  They've got a bunch of features that make it a good admin light with enough white light to navigate with.  It's not a replacement for an M300 or similar ilk but it's pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Not gonna lie - I find the $100+ price for these plastic task lights, ridiculous. I have a Night Evolution copy of the AA MPLS (Red, Green, White, IR) that is still ticking. I also just got a WASDN copy of the Sidewinder Stalk that looks and feels just as tough (but it's new, so we'll see for $35).
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Not gonna lie - I find the $100+ price for these plastic task lights, ridiculous. I have a Night Evolution copy of the AA MPLS (Red, Green, White, IR) that is still ticking. I also just got a WASDN copy of the Sidewinder Stalk that looks and feels just as tough (but it's new, so we'll see for $35).
View Quote

They are absurdly over priced for what they are.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
View Quote
The Princeton Tec lights are made in the USA. You want to pay people a living wage in the first world, well, that's the cost.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:13:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bizzarolibe] [#31]
Streamlight Sidewinder 100%. Has all the shit you need, nothing you don’t. Absolutely no need to pay any more than what those go gor.

Whatever you go with, make sure it has a blue light option. I learned real fast during night time FTX’s that blood is hard/practically impossible to see under red light if you need to treat an injury…
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:39:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Defaultmp3] [#32]
Originally Posted By Bizzarolibe:

Whatever you go with, make sure it has a blue light option. I learned real fast during night time FTX’s that blood is hard/practically impossible to see under red light if you need to treat an injury…
View Quote
Fun little factoid, blue light is also somewhat less detectable under NODs, as it is at the very edge of what is considered in-band by most gen3 tubes; purple would be even more OOB.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:25:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#33]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

@XTCBX you ain’t wrong.  I’ve got one on an echo arms mount and I very much like it.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:15:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: XTCBX] [#35]
I started with that exact mount but for more pointability check out the Thyrm Veriarc version of that mount…it allows you to light your path better when working overt and does the umbrella thing really well, it’s almost as good as the S&S body and waaaaay cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 3:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#36]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Will:
I want to clarify regarding pricing of the MPLS. They are not over $100.
View Quote

I have the clone of this - the one I was referencing (price-wise):

The SW Stalk is is around $124. I'd love to see distributor and/or dealer price on them.

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for all the great discussion here. I did some research and just bought the Princeton Tech Charge Pro with Red, Blue and IR LEDs. A USA manufacturer and 25% off sealed the deal.  Bought directly through their website.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:54:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Augee] [#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top