Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2024 10:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF]
I prefer the classic wide handguard, so I dislike the idea of having to use anything else just to have a weapon mounted light on my SP5. I came across this set-up that mounts the light on the front sight tower and has a cut-out in the side of the handguard to mount a Surefire pressure pad. The bonus for this would be the ability to keep the classic lines of the MP5 along with a light that's mounted far enough away from the barrel for suppressor use. Plus it counts as a USA-made part for 922(R). I may give this a try. Does anyone have this? I've never seen pics posted with it.

Gibbous Outfitters MP5 Handguard

There's also an MP5K version:

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Teller_Ulam] [#1]
I have used the light mounts from Gibbous as well as the top tape switch mount, but not the handguards. I had some concerns about the longevity of the light mounts at first, but they've held up great. I first put a Surefire micro pro on my K, along with a top tape switch. I swapped the light to a standard 1 cell scout light for more light. So far I really.like it. I would love to eventually get the K grip with the switch cuttout.
Eta. The mounts are made for the thicker Modlite bodies. To use a smaller surefire, I just put some small zip ties around the light body to make up some space.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
$172......LoL!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Teller_Ulam:
I have used the light mounts from Gibbous as well as the top tape switch mount, but not the handguards. I had some concerns about the longevity of the light mounts at first, but they've held up great. I first put a Surefire micro pro on my K, along with a top tape switch. I swapped the light to a standard 1 cell scout light for more light. So far I really.like it. I would love to eventually get the K grip with the switch cuttout.
Eta. The mounts are made for the thicker Modlite bodies. To use a smaller surefire, I just put some small zip ties around the light body to make up some space.
View Quote

Thanks. I'll more than likely give one of these a try.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By APSArmament:
$172......LoL!
View Quote

That price is on par with other handguards. There are many that cost even more.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I just put a UTG Pro rail on my AP5. It's pretty nice.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Falcon09:
I just put a UTG Pro rail on my AP5. It's pretty nice.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137193/1000003481-3212929.jpg
View Quote

Those are actually pretty impressive.  UTG Pro has really.changed. I may want to try one of these on my full size. I just ordered the Gibbous grip for my K.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 14BoltFF:

That price is on par with other handguards. There are many that cost even more.
View Quote

The fuck it is

Hkparts standard

A3 tac modular version

Blue ridge hK made

Midwest mlok that will fit a shit ton of aftermarket VFGs

The old addage remains true. "A fool and his money....."
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#8]
The light mount doesn't fit right. Not worth the exorbitant price.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By last_crusader:
The light mount doesn't fit right. Not worth the exorbitant price.
View Quote

A molded piece of plastic like that still wasn't worth that price even if it did fit.

Even HK doesn't charge that much for their stuff.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:35:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF] [#10]

The fuck it is

Hkparts standard

A3 tac modular version

Blue ridge hK made

Midwest mlok that will fit a shit ton of aftermarket VFGs

The old addage remains true. "A fool and his money....."
View Quote

Umm, none of those are light-bearing handguards other than the MI with M-Lok slots. Go price some Surefire and B&T handguards with lights. Those were what I was referring to. The handguard I was asking about is designed for use with a light.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Umm, none of those are light-bearing handguards other than the MI with M-Lok slots. Go price some Surefire and B&T handguards with lights. Those were what I was referring to. The handguard I was asking about is designed for use with a light.
View Quote
To add, the Gibbous products are 3D printed, most likely by a contract US based MJF printing company.  This allows them to do small batch runs without the huge cost of tooling up for injection molding, but raises the part cost quite a bit.

Probably not enough demand for these items to justify standing up a plastic IM line to make them, so MJF printing makes sense, just costs a good bit more per part.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:39:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: APSArmament] [#12]

View Quote

L-O-fucking-L.

The surefire and B&T handguards actually come with working lights and are made by companies with known quality and exemplary reputations, ya fucking  muppet.

Are you financially involved with this company? Did they give you a free sample to simp their over priced trash?  

I've been in this game a long time, and know better. Much, much better.  I may have been born at night, but i wasn't born last night.  Go sell this bullshit somewhere else.

Try again.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:26:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#13]
The light mount works great for me.  I also have their buttpad for the b&t collapsible and it's super nice.

Some of the stuff is really expensive, but it's niche stuff that some guys really like, and there are a lot of guys who appreciate options.

I think most people in the HK world wouldn't think the prices are so absurd they would be attacking the crap out of it  the surefire handguard/light 328lmf has a MSRP of 650...

I'm not affiliated with gibbous, so don't start on me..my limited experience the dude seams like a good dude, and there are a few things he makes that are pretty cool.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Heineken:
The light mount works great for me.  I also have their buttpad for the b&t collapsible and it's super nice.

Some of the stuff is really expensive, but it's niche stuff that some guys really like, and there are a lot of guys who appreciate options.

I think most people in the HK world wouldn't think the prices are so absurd they would be attacking the crap out of it  the surefire handguard/light 328lmf has a MSRP of 650...

I'm not affiliated with gibbous, so don't start on me..my limited experience the dude seams like a good dude, and there are a few things he makes that are pretty cool.
View Quote

Keep digging bro.

"It's meant for HK fanbois, so let's jack up the price!". So you're saying you work for HKParts.com then?

And i WILL "start on you". Your simping for over priced equipment, and done with such "vigor" doesn't exactly say "I'm an unbiased source!".

Regardless. Enough has been said here for people to see things from both sides. And it IS the tech forum, so you may keep simping. My work here is done.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:03:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#15]

Keep digging bro.

"It's meant for HK fanbois, so let's jack up the price!". So you're saying you work for HKParts.com then?

And i WILL "start on you". Your simping for over priced equipment, and done with such "vigor" doesn't exactly say "I'm an unbiased source!".

Regardless. Enough has been said here for people to see things from both sides. And it IS the tech forum, so you may keep simping. My work here is done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Heineken:

Keep digging bro.

Lol, you should prob get some help man, I don't know why you are so angry, but it can't be good for you.

Yes, it's a tech thread I gave useful first hand experience of the product, I even agreed with you some of the items are overpriced. How you equate that to vigorous simping is beyond me.  I litterly posted 1 time in this thread before now addressing your aggressive insults...are you getting people confused maybe??

You have given zero first hand experience of the product, attacked anyone who said anything positive about gibbous.  Then you attacked me, called me a simp, accused me of working for HK parts....which really man...that's pretty fricken low

Agreed comments speak for themselves

Before you come back and attack me some more, just realize I won't be responding to any more of your BS attacks.

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I love this one for my K!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:
https://i.imgur.com/sKYxpx4.jpeg
View Quote

That’s a really cool looking set up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:25:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF] [#18]

L-O-fucking-L.

The surefire and B&T handguards actually come with working lights and are made by companies with known quality and exemplary reputations, ya fucking  muppet.

Are you financially involved with this company? Did they give you a free sample to simp their over priced trash?  

I've been in this game a long time, and know better. Much, much better.  I may have been born at night, but i wasn't born last night.  Go sell this bullshit somewhere else.

Try again.
View Quote

What is your problem, Chris? Save the childish behavior for GD or DU. I have no ties to Gibbous. I came across them when looking for a way to use a light with a wide-style handguard, which is the type of handguard I prefer.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mah827:

View All Quotes

Very slick! Never seen one like that before.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:47:34 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

Thanks man.  I’m actually very surprised by the quality.  3d printed but you really can’t tell.  Even down to the texture it is VERY similar to the molded Hk plastic.  Very strong.  Overpriced for sure, but nothing like it and I love it on my k.  Their b&t butt stock replacement is excellent too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 1:13:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Capt assuming you are right handed, do you ever feel like the left hand version could be activated with your thumb easier than the right hand version with your fingers?
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By inkaybee:
Capt assuming you are right handed, do you ever feel like the left hand version could be activated with your thumb easier than the right hand version with your fingers?
View Quote

I think really it’s just personal preference.  I wonder if being on the left hand you might activate it more by accident. I don’t know, it’s probably the same and just getting used to whichever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top