Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2024 11:53:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Copper]
So, I want to build a set of binos and I can't decide. I know the 1431's are Chinese and the MK1 version had substantial issues, but I the MK2's are supposed to be much better and I see a ton of them being built. I really like the LLUL-21 for it's weight, but I'm not sure about no onboard power source and it's durability. I also like the idea of two Tantos with a bridge, but they cost about $500 more with the bridge and I'm not sure I like them that much. Right now I'm leaning towards the LLUL-21. What say you?

Also, are there any other NV forums (besides Reddit) that I should know about?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
There are a ton of different bino housing offerings nowadays, it just depends on what you want. If you want the simplest and lightest, the Katana or Katana-R are a pretty good choice. Nocturn also has other housings with more features (Manticore). LLI (the manufacturer of the LLUL-21) has a new housing coming out (MH-1). There's also all the different ABNV/RNVG housing flavours (articulating, panning, fixed bridge), Boson Systems Proton if you want dual onboard VCSEL illuminators for whatever reason, etc.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I know there are a lot of binos out there. But since I have a limited budget, I narrowed my choice to the three I named. I do appreciate the opinion on the LLUL-21. I'm still leaning heavily towards that option.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve had several variations of duals over the years. I’m currently running dual tantos on an nvb58 bridge. I’m very happy with it - I think it’s 18/19z compared to 28z with dual Pvs14s and I have the ability to change out the arms between 40* and 58* pano. I also like the ability to split them into monoculars if needed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:21:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Copper] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zac87:
I’ve had several variations of duals over the years. I’m currently running dual tantos on an nvb58 bridge. I’m very happy with it - I think it’s 18/19z compared to 28z with dual Pvs14s and I have the ability to change out the arms between 40* and 58* pano. I also like the ability to split them into monoculars if needed.
View Quote

You might be on to something. I like the idea of functional redundancy by having two separate monoculars and a bridge. I thought the weight would be more than that, but after researching some of the bridges, some only add an ounce or two. And the ability to have panning capability is appealing, making me think I should opt for the tantos.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Copper:

You might be on to something. I like the idea of functional redundancy by having two separate monoculars and a bridge. I thought the weight would be more than that, but after researching some of the bridges, some only add an ounce or two. And the ability to have panning capability is appealing, making me think I should opt for the tantos.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Copper:
Originally Posted By Zac87:

I like the option to choose between 40* and 58* depending on my intended use. Ive also used quite a few of the available options over the years and at this time am happiest with dual tantos for my usage.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The thing I don't like about the 1431 MK2 is that as far as I understand they don't have that independent pod shut off feature.

The thing I don't like about the Tantos is that they don't appear to have manual gain. I like manual gain for a variety of reasons, but I could live without it if necessary.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
The thing I don't like about the 1431 MK2 is that as far as I understand they don't have that independent pod shut off feature.

The thing I don't like about the Tantos is that they don't appear to have manual gain. I like manual gain for a variety of reasons, but I could live without it if necessary.

View Quote

They do not have independent pod shut off.

They will shut off when the G24 is rotated upwards.  Sometimes....maybe...
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:

They do not have independent pod shut off.

They will shut off when the G24 is rotated upwards.  Sometimes....maybe...
View Quote

Man, if they could just fix that and give us independent pod shut off it would be a golden option.  The MK2 looks like a winner in so many ways especially over the previous 1431.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:15:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#10]
Just from a performance standpoint alone, the MK2 1431 is still an absolute no go. I have had several people approach me regarding help with repairs. The ones I have had in hand had substantial issues, including the housing material cracking easily, and were also susceptible to chemical breakdown of the housing material when exposed to common NV assembly lubricant.

They also exhibited issues with the power button/gain knob, because its not supported properly inside the housing. Because the button/pot shaft isn’t supported by anything other than a hole in the housing, it causes two pronged contacts to wiggle around and come loose (which will cause intermittent or complete loss of the the ability to turn the goggle on and off). Loose contacts shown below:

Attachment Attached File

Lastly, this particular MK2 also failed vacuum leak test via the battery compartment, which is apparently fairly common. So every time you open the battery compartment you loose your purge and also could get moisture ingress.

https://youtube.com/shorts/4cc8v54uJcs?si=xl817FRCjYH1bpG0

Regardless of the whole IP theft situation, it boggles my mind that people have actually bought pano copies from Argus when they can’t even get a bino housing to function properly. These devices I have seen with issues aren’t surplus goggles that have been used for a decade, they were months old with only single or double digit hour usage.

Even more sad were the vendors who chose to carry a very obviously inferior product and sell shitloads to consumers just because the profit margins were good. And some of those devices ended up in the hands of trusting LEOs that needed them in a professional capacity
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Yikes, Chinese QC strikes again.

That is why as much as I find Holosun interesting I just can't bring myself to purchase anything from that company. It might be unfairly prejudicial, but I have little faith in the quality of items manufactured in China. It's not that I want to not have faith in them though, because God knows I love their price points.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, just to update you all, I went with two tanto housings, and the NVB58 bridge. I got everything put together this weekend and I have to say, I'm happy with the decision. I really like the tanto housings. They're very light and seem really well made. They went together with no issues. I also like the NVB58 bridge. It comes with two sets of articulating arms, one that pans and one that doesn't. The finish matches the tanto housing perfectly.  With carson glass and two cr123 batteries, the whole thing weighs 22.2 ounces. That's just a hair over my target weight of 20 ounces, but I'll deal with it. When I first put the rig together with the panning arms, I got a pretty bad double image and was searching on how to collimate them. Then, just for the hell of it, I reversed the tanto monoculars on the bridge and the double vision vanished. I'm never that lucky, but it happened. So far I like the panning image very much. If I get headaches or fatigue, I'll swap out the straight arms on the bridge.

Thanks to all that gave me some input. Going in, I really didn't think I would choose this setup. That being said, I'm a happy camper and it all worked out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats Copper, the Tantos definitely sound very cool.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been waiting for the MH-1's for anvis to come out but now that the Tantos for anvis are out, I think I am going to go that way. I really like the option to split my duals into single units should the need arise. I also think I am going to go with the NVB58 bridge and see it I really like the pano style. That way if my brain hates it, I am not out that much. If I like it, I can get a Tanto TAPB-C. Any reason not to?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top