BCM
User Panel

Classic car delusion (Page 7 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: madmacs69] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

I have seen the utterly out of touch six figure prices.  They are even more retarded, and when the bubble bursts on the price of those, I'll laugh at them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have seen the utterly out of touch six figure prices.  They are even more retarded, and when the bubble bursts on the price of those, I'll laugh at them.

That's why you buy a Brazilian split that was made until 1975 for about $40k restored (?) Or slum it and pick up a bay window that isn't as cool but was made until 2013(?)

Don't expect AC or heating though... especially not heating.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 917-30:

Nice Mopar collection you have!!!

Is that a real Charger Dayona? 440 and TorqueFlite?

As a kid I lived about a half mile from a guy with a Hemi Charger Daytona (4 sp) and five Superbirds. His son daily drove a Superbird in Petty livery.
View Quote

It’s a Superbird. Yes, it’s a numbers matching 440 with a 727.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By FMJshooter:
There's more to the story.

I've got a 306 that I slapped together in my garage using spare parts for around $3k that pushes a 65 Mustang 12 flat on pump gas and 10.80's on nitrous. It has head gaskets that were likely made in the mid 90's that I found laying around in the back of a shop, compression ratio is something like 7:1 and one of the cylinders is scored. Been making passes on it weekly for about a year shifting at 7k rpm.

It's a very literal pile of shit but will still destroy anything new in the 1/4 that doesn't cost $70k+ and garner waaaay more attention while doing it. People go ape over this thing everytime I bring it out.

You can fart at a big block Chevy and make 5-600hp and matching lbft

Old junk is badass.

View Quote

It won't though.  10.80s and NEW is easy these days for well under 70K.....  In a pickup no less if you need a bed. 48K with a warranty.

Hell, the govmint will give you a 7K rebate, and Tesla will give you 0.9% financing these days on a 2.9 0-60, and high 10s in the 1/4.   probably.... not sure, don't care on those honestly.

Basic bitch Coyote Mustangs are going mid-9s with bolt on TT kits.

It's a wonderful time to be alive in the modern performance car scene!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Square66:

No they don’t make “all that crap” and some of it they never will.  The market won’t be big enough.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Square66:
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:

They already make all that crap aftermarket for a lot of popular modern cars.

No they don’t make “all that crap” and some of it they never will.  The market won’t be big enough.

Crutchfield will sell you a new dash unit that has all the same controls as the Toyota touchscreen.  

It’s already being done.

The companies sell the IP once the production scale shrinks.  It’s sold to companies that profitably produce on a smaller scale.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By housewolf:
Big difference between a "street car" and a "daily driver". I doubt many low 8 second cars are daily drivers but I'm sure they're a few. Larry Larson had a "street car" in the 6s ~15 years ago.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By housewolf:
Originally Posted By Pokernut:
 Murda on twitch used to drive his 7 second lexus all over the dallas fort worth area.  Then run a few passes at the track, live stream the rest of the drag racing and drive it home.
Big difference between a "street car" and a "daily driver". I doubt many low 8 second cars are daily drivers but I'm sure they're a few. Larry Larson had a "street car" in the 6s ~15 years ago.

7s no.

9s yes

Anyone with a Coyote equipped vehicle is a credit card transaction and a weekend bolt on fest away from 9s in a daily.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:27:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper] [#6]
N/M
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:

I have seen a substantial number of small Asian that can that can do that

Hell, in the early 70s, the best affordable sports car was the 240Z.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Singlestack_Wonder:
1966 Shelby 427 Cobras routinely went from 0 to 100 and back to 0 in 13 seconds.

I've yet to see small aisian cars with fart mufflers do that.

I have seen a substantial number of small Asian that can that can do that

Hell, in the early 70s, the best affordable sports car was the 240Z.

But not with that all-American, big block rumble that's part of the total experience.  My son's 5-speed, 427 at full-song is the automotive equivalent to The Ride of the Valkyries, with more panache than any rice rocket.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Until a solar flair hits & my old ass Jeep is still running bc I can kick start it if i swap in a manual transmission (which on an old Jeep, can be done in a few hours).
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: housewolf] [#9]
Originally Posted By TZLVredmist:

7s no.

9s yes

Anyone with a Coyote equipped vehicle is a credit card transaction and a weekend bolt on fest away from 9s in a daily.  
View Quote
Hell even I have a 3,600# 9 second NA street car built in '06 and it's not even a Ford

I also have a '13 DD 4 dr sedan that's just E85 away from being in the 10s with stock exhaust manifolds
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess the main draw for me, is I don't have to wander around in the mall parking lot clicking the car fob trying to find the damn thing.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:10:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#11]
Originally Posted By madmacs69:

That's why you buy a Brazilian split that was made until 1975 for about $40k restored (?) Or slum it and pick up a bay window that isn't as cool but was made until 2013(?)

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By madmacs69:

I grew up riding around in the back of a type 3 wagon, I grok that.

Though I always had a fever dream of putting enough oil cooling onto a rhino-cased one with the biggest jugs you could get so that It could run one of those really efficient AC pumps.

ETA: no heat ... I recall that when the ducting and stuff on ours was in good shape, it would almost burn the hair on your legs off... am I remembering wrong?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HammerTech:
I guess the main draw for me, is I don't have to wander around in the mall parking lot clicking the car fob trying to find the damn thing.

https://i.imgur.com/xoR3H3p.jpg
View Quote

Nice old school '34.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Which is why old cars should be rebuilt with modern components.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Strela:

But not with that all-American, big block rumble that's part of the total experience.  My son's 5-speed, 427 at full-song is the automotive equivalent to The Ride of the Valkyries, with more panache than any rice rocket.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/CobraChristmas21_jpeg-3214462.JPG
View Quote

While I agree with what you’re saying to a degree, you’re moving the goal posts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:26:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 917-30] [#15]
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

While not real...this thing will do zero to 100 and back to zero in a frightening amount of time. It's 2200 lbs with approx 520 RWHP. I'm pretty much traction limited with the Cooper tires I run. When I had Hoosiers on it the thing launched like it was trying to break your neck. While launching in first is really fun, powershifting into second at 7500 is fucking brutal. I drive this thing like I stole it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203499/PXL_20230906_203419131-2944929.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

While not real...this thing will do zero to 100 and back to zero in a frightening amount of time. It's 2200 lbs with approx 520 RWHP. I'm pretty much traction limited with the Cooper tires I run. When I had Hoosiers on it the thing launched like it was trying to break your neck. While launching in first is really fun, powershifting into second at 7500 is fucking brutal. I drive this thing like I stole it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203499/PXL_20230906_203419131-2944929.jpg

Nice!

Originally Posted By VoxLibertatis:
Originally Posted By 917-30:

Nice Mopar collection you have!!!

Is that a real Charger Dayona? 440 and TorqueFlite?

As a kid I lived about a half mile from a guy with a Hemi Charger Daytona (4 sp) and five Superbirds. His son daily drove a Superbird in Petty livery.

It’s a Superbird. Yes, it’s a numbers matching 440 with a 727.

That is awesome!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
Which is why old cars should be rebuilt with modern components.
View Quote

I  believe that's what's called "resto-modding" ... or at least a subgroup of that category.

MegaSquirt for the win.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/mopar/megasquirt-vintage-ignitions-mopar-fuel-injection/
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#17]
One day, young folks will be using the Orgasmatron and laughing at you for still wanting to participate in the tedious, inefficient, and unsanitary practice of having sex with women.

On that day, you might understand.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Consigli:
I had a 69 COPO Camaro with an aluminum block 427.

Would tape a $100 bill to the dash and run the 1/4 mile with a passenger. And tell them if they could grab it during the run they could have it. G-forces always won and no one ever took my money.

Try that in your Tesla.
View Quote
That tired trope LOL
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#19]
25 years ago I told the old car club boys "these little Hondas are no different than the cars you guys bought....cheap, available and easy to work on. Someday, these are going to go up in value when us 20 year olds have money and the kids are grown."

That was met with lots of laughs, they told me to sell my CRX and find a real car. I said "ok fine, please direct me to a 55 BelAir, 68 Camaro or a 63 1/2 Galaxie on a used car lot I can buy for $3,000 or so?" .... crickets.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

Otherwise, modern cars blow them out of the water in every single respect.
View Quote

Not in every respect. Modern cars have tinfoil for sheetmetal. I had a 1971 Charger that could take ping pong sized hail with no dents. now cars dent at the mere whisper of hail.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MontstrSp:
25 years ago I told the old car club boys "these little Hondas are no different than the cars you guys bought....cheap, available and easy to work on. Someday, these are going to go up in value when us 20 year olds have money and the kids are grown."

That was met with lots of laughs, they told me to sell my CRX and find a real car. I said "ok fine, please direct me to a 55 BelAir, 68 Camaro or a 63 1/2 Galaxie on a used car lot I can buy for $3,000 or so?" .... crickets.

View Quote
 You were 100% right.  The fast and furious generation kept a lot of local drag strips open as well.  They may have driven those cars to a few shows a year but they were not showing up at the friday and saturday night street events that are the bread and butter of the local spots.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:
OP is mad.

I can understand needing to rationalize having no cool cars.

But everyone else who is happy while you are not =/= delusional.
View Quote

I think this is about the best response, and I am not old guy...yet
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
True.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JCoop:
Originally Posted By Curdmugeon45:

No one that isn't gender confused is getting a chubby over a 4 cyl.
True.

I love my V8's, but a high rpm 4 banger through a properly tuned exhaust sounds friggen amazing. You telling me some sport bikes don't sound incredible?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Would tape a $100 bill to the dash and run the 1/4 mile with a passenger. And tell them if they could grab it during the run they could have it. G-forces always won and no one ever took my money.

Try that in your Tesla.
View Quote

No you didn’t, that is the oldest bullshit story in the car hobby.  And if you actually did have such a rare vehicle it would be matched by a lot of basic Teslas off the showroom floor and beaten by 2 seconds in the 1/4 by the top of the line ones.  Quit making up shit to look cool.

Camaro test 11.8 1/4

Tesla 1/4 times by model
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#26]
apart from cooler cars, better music, and cuter girls

parents were superior

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#27]

While I agree with what you’re saying to a degree, you’re moving the goal posts.
View All Quotes

In what way? The thread started by bashing old cars ("Classic car delusion") and you opined about some modern imports duplicating the performance of some 1966-spec cars. I didn't dispute that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#28]
14 sec in the 1/4 was fast until the 2000s.  For 30 years it was a ~true statement.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]
right off the showroom floor

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Is this a classic car picture thread yet?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bloviator:
14 sec in the 1/4 was fast until the 2000s.  For 30 years it was a ~true statement.
View Quote

Non-radial tires for the scarry wobbly mushy drive!

Suspensions and steering from the past weren't made for tires that could grip as well as ours can.

God bless places like https://firmfeel.com/
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#32]
*opens wing windows, floor vents, settles into comfy cloth benchseat* ywah, newer cars have *all* the good stuff... not
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#33]
“I have to get what I put into it”
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#34]
ETA: no heat ... I recall that when the ducting and stuff on ours was in good shape, it would almost burn the hair on your legs off... am I remembering wrong?
View Quote

Air cooled engine waaaaaaaaay far behind you.... huge air volume to fill. About the only way to heat my '76 type 2 camper in winter was using the propane cooker, and that wasn't advisable when driving.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Not in every respect. Modern cars have tinfoil for sheetmetal. I had a 1971 Charger that could take ping pong sized hail with no dents. now cars dent at the mere whisper of hail.
View Quote

What’s the point exactly? Heavier is better?  Modern cars routinely protect their occupants from crashes that would have seriously injured or killed anyone in a older car.  

Less weight means faster, crumple zones mean more occupant survivability.  We also have much better body working ability, paintless dent repair works much better on the thinner metal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Defcon6280:

What’s the point exactly? Heavier is better?  Modern cars routinely protect their occupants from crashes that would have seriously injured or killed anyone in a older car.  

Less weight means faster, crumple zones mean more occupant survivability.  We also have much better body working ability, paintless dent repair works much better on the thinner metal.
View Quote

New cars are FAR heavier than older cars.

By a large margin.

The weight in new cars is NOT in the fenders.

It's in the passenger cab structure. Take a look at how fat those a-pillars are. Also, the front door mounting and the dash/footwell on most new cars are obscenely heavy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#37]
My dream car is a chevelle or corvette from the 60s or 70s but moderned up.
Actual power. Good brakes. Suspension worth a shit. Creature comforts.

But all I have now is a goddam Kia that beats the shit out of every car before 2000.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:35:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoStockBikes] [#38]

I  believe that's what's called "resto-modding" ... or at least a subgroup of that category.

MegaSquirt for the win.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/mopar/megasquirt-vintage-ignitions-mopar-fuel-injection/
View Quote

I was struck by the rise of restomods at Barrett-Jackson this year. It seems like it wasn’t that long ago that Preston’s were looked down on and it was sacrilege. Restomods were cheap and the all originals were big bucks. This year, I watched what seemed like about 8 restomod ‘66 Vettes go for $250k each, give or take $7,000. It was impressive and consistent.
People are apparently tired of their cool old shit being slow and the market shows.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:
Is this a classic car picture thread yet?
View Quote

with the $1,000,000 Camaro it is

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#41]

No you didn’t, that is the oldest bullshit story in the car hobby.  And if you actually did have such a rare vehicle it would be matched by a lot of basic Teslas off the showroom floor and beaten by 2 seconds in the 1/4 by the top of the line ones.  Quit making up shit to look cool.

Camaro test 11.8 1/4

Tesla 1/4 times by model
View All Quotes

Try that in your Tesla.

Camaro test 11.8 1/4

Tesla 1/4 times by model

I got rid of that COPO for a 1970 Road Runner with a 440 6 pack and an air grabber hood. That air grabber hood sucked up so much oxygen most of the other cars stalled out in a drag race from lack of air. I beat every one of them. It was the best of times sonny. You sound a little hostile and butt hurt.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#42]

I got rid of that COPO for a 1970 Road Runner with a 440 6 pack and an air grabber hood. That air grabber hood sucked up so much oxygen most of the other cars stalled out in a drag race from lack of air. I beat every one of them. It was the best of times sonny. You sound a little hostile and butt hurt.
View Quote

I apologize for my previous post, I now understand. Salute.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Go easy on him, pops, he has a rash  

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:53:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anesvick] [#44]

View Quote
Best of both worlds.. just shove an LS in a Miata. Probably cost half as much or less too.  Never driven a Cobra that wasn't fucking terrifying.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By anesvick:
Best of both worlds.. just shove an LS in a Miata. Probably cost half as much or less too.
View Quote

Monster Miata's been selling them for 30 years.

Local doctor bought one for his son's 16th bday.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I'm sorry I doubted your story as well. I only recently heard from a local guy how potent Mopar engines were. I though a 750cfm carb was more than enough for a stockish big block on the street, and maybe a 650 would even maybe be better. He informed me that for a Ford or a GM, sure that was enough. But those big Mopars need at least 1,400cfm, and the police car motors he builds all came with 1,200cfm carbs stock but nobody knew that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By doc540:

Monster Miata's been selling them for 30 years.

Local doctor bought one for his son's 16th bday.  
View Quote

Holy cow. Hope he's had his son in a few performance driving schools already! My kid's getting a rusty beige 87 Buick Century with a burnt valve like I got.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes

Yes.

Originally Posted By MallNinja531:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505993/5aa2c7eeb8bd1b9c2d23ee4d478b38f4_jpg-3214120.JPG

But seriously, old cars aren't necessarily cool due to horsepower/quarter mile/speed. They're cool because you don't see them day in and day out, they have a very cerebral sight/sound/smell (loads of raw unburnt fuel. Yummy!) and it's just a fun novelty. Sorry your husband won't let you get one OP.

I highly doubt you're having as much fun in your Camry as I am rowing gears in this.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505993/IMG_20230919_112141373_jpg-3214126.JPG

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:43:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#50]

GRYNCH - "My Volvo" (Official Music Video)
Page / 16
Classic car delusion (Page 7 of 16)
Top Top