Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#1]
This is my current go-to rifle:

Attachment Attached File

I wish I had a shorter silencer for it, but I don't.

I'm currently trying to shoot this barrel out so I can turn this into a mini-Recce:
Attachment Attached File

Most of the time I don't use the magnifier and leave it off.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
This is my current go-to rifle:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523928/Recce_jpg-3213286.JPG

I wish I had a shorter silencer for it, but I don't.

I'm currently trying to shoot this barrel out so I can turn this into a mini-Recce:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523928/SBR_with_YHM_Turbo_T3_jpg-3213287.JPG

Most of the time I don't use the magnifier and leave it off.
View Quote

Same but different.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GrayMan66:
Irons only.  There'll be plenty of RDS and optics lying on the ground if the time comes...
View Quote

I need your newsletter, and the back issues.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:

Same but different.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/IMG_0657_jpeg-3213293.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep my Ruger AR556 with iorns I added a Colt carry handle to it I love the sight picture on AR iorns. My DD M4 however has a VR-X 1.25-4 on it and is my primary do all carbine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ben:
I just realized I have optics that have back up iron sights,  mounted on a rifle with separate back up iron sights.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72384/1000000473-3213276.jpg
View Quote

Primary secondary and tertiary.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Is anyone still running just iron sights as their primary sighting system on a modern AR in 2024?
View Quote

I do.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Not when I can go buy a PRO for $400, I always install BUIS though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to use iron sight only but now, seldom. At 72, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I really want to hit my target, not just burn up ammo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:36:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#10]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By southerncross:

In what scenario are you ranging and dialing with adjustable irons? Do you have a time machine back to WW1? Most people with a minimum amount of practice have zero issues making hits at 300yds with a dot on a 16" AR. I've done it to 500yds but it's not ideal because you can't identify a target properly past 300yds without magnification anyway. Why would you dial for a range where you can't positively ID the target?
View Quote

You're arguing with an old service rifle shooter, FYI. So, anytime I'm shooting beyond 200M with my RIBZ'd rifle. Our club has steel at 300 yards and 500 yards. When I shoot at those echo silhouette targets with my M4A1ish clone, I'm dialing...

That said, I can hit the 300 with my RDS rifles, standing, but I'm holding high. Never tried 500, I'd rather adjust elevation than to guess at that distance.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Irons all the way for me. I also don't use those stupid weapon mounted lights. If I have to shoot at night I use my trusty Rem 870 loaded with birdshot. If whatever is around doesn't run off after racking a round I can just shoot in their general direction and knock them on their ass.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Why not get both? Gooseneck mount anyone?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Red dots replaced BUIS, and added more functionality while doing it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
No.  Why when red dots are so reliable and so much better.

What functionality do red dots add over irons?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Congratulations on being an old service rifle shooter, I don't care. You've dragged service rifle talk into a discussion about practical use of irons on a modern AR. Those of using the rifles in a practical manner like combat,  doing run and gun and 2 Gun matches for the last decade learned early on that practical use of a rifle with an optic or a dot is significantly faster than using irons, and no one is dialing shit at practical rifle distances when the clock is running. If you miss you take another shot because that is still faster than using irons.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Muad:

You're arguing with an old service rifle shooter, FYI. So, anytime I'm shooting beyond 200M with my RIBZ'd rifle. Our club has steel at 300 yards and 500 yards. When I shoot at those echo silhouette targets with my M4A1ish clone, I'm dialing...

That said, I can hit the 300 with my RDS rifles, standing, but I'm holding high. Never tried 500, I'd rather adjust elevation than to guess at that distance.  

Congratulations on being an old service rifle shooter, I don't care. You've dragged service rifle talk into a discussion about practical use of irons on a modern AR. Those of using the rifles in a practical manner like combat,  doing run and gun and 2 Gun matches for the last decade learned early on that practical use of a rifle with an optic or a dot is significantly faster than using irons, and no one is dialing shit at practical rifle distances when the clock is running. If you miss you take another shot because that is still faster than using irons.

OP asked the following:

Is anyone still running just iron sights as their primary sighting system on a modern AR in 2024?

I shared that I do still have an irons
-only rifle and shared a pic of it. I never interjected my service rifle comments until people like you started arguing that no one dials irons anymore.

I don't care what run and gun guys have learned over the past decade; it has as much to do with the conversation as me bringing up being a service rifle guy. I said that to you in jest so you'd understand that I'm partial to shooting irons. Hell, even the sport I loved has moved onto LVPO because that allows for better scores.

All I was arguing is that irons, even BUIS, are still more functional than a RDS due to elevation/windage adjustments.

Good grief, now I remember why I stay out of GD conversations.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mcantu:

View All Quotes

As a back up sighting system?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#18]

OP asked the following:

-only rifle and shared a pic of it. I never interjected my service rifle comments until people like you started arguing that no one dials irons anymore.

I don't care what run and gun guys have learned over the past decade; it has as much to do with the conversation as me bringing up being a service rifle guy. I said that to you in jest so you'd understand that I'm partial to shooting irons. Hell, even the sport I loved has moved onto LVPO because that allows for better scores.

All I was arguing is that irons, even BUIS, are still more functional than a RDS due to elevation/windage adjustments.

View All Quotes

OP asked the following:

Once you learn to ignore the severe autism GD is more tolerable.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:46:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpacemanSpiff] [#19]
I think we have beat the horse of the usefulness of irons or lack thereof to death at this point.

For those of you using irons for whatever reason, I see some are using front sights other than the standard A1 or A2 post.

I would love to hear more about the utility of some of these, I would like to try one.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Additional speed, precision, effectiveness in low light and the ability to passively use NV.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

You put the red dot sight on top of or on the side of your magnified optic and then you have a red dot sight to use a long side your magnified optic.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd prefer to rock irons, but during a training session one day (with a timer and everything), I finally had to concede that a red dot is faster.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Impossible, service rifle shooters say so. Throw out everything we've learned in the last 30 years also because irons will rule forever.
View Quote

Wait until they find out that 4x optics are legal in Service Rifle and scores went up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

Wait until they find out that 4x optics are legal in Service Rifle and scores went up.
View Quote

Well, they're going to need to cake those optics with snow, sawdust and chainsaw oil to really see what's what. Get out in the real world, man.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#26]
For what it is worth, I was a NRA Hi-Master and Distinguished Rifleman shooting service rifles, both an M1a and AR-15's using iron sights. That means I averaged at least 97 percent out to 600 yds using iron sights.  That said, optics are a hell of an advantage, especially for less experienced individuals and those that don't have great vision.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#27]
My general knock-around AR is a Colt 6720 I had Adco chop to 14.5 and pin/weld.  It sports a GI surplus carry handle and a Surefire M300 on an IWC TMC mount.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dangus:
My general knock-around AR is a Colt 6720 I had Adco chop to 14.5 and pin/weld.  It sports a GI surplus carry handle and a Surefire M300 on an IWC TMC mount.

https://i.imgur.com/Ye9YHrE.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#29]
No reason with all of the better, viable options out now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#30]

In what scenario are you ranging and dialing with adjustable irons? Do you have a time machine back to WW1? Most people with a minimum amount of practice have zero issues making hits at 300yds with a dot on a 16" AR. I've done it to 500yds but it's not ideal because you can't identify a target properly past 300yds without magnification anyway. Why would you dial for a range where you can't positively ID the target?
View All Quotes

How so? Can you dial elevation on the fly to make longer shots?

Unless we're talking an ACSS/BDC/etc. reticle, RDS do not add more functionality; in my opinion. Irons are much more functional over a broader range of engagement, thanks to having the ability to quickly make elevation and windage adjustments. With most RDS, you're using holdovers and Kentucky windage.

I dialed to 500 with a m16a4 in Iraq. The guy stopped being a threat. Not sure how good my hits were.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Additional speed, precision, effectiveness in low light and the ability to passively use NV.
View All Quotes

I agree with all off those except precision. I'm more accurate with irons on a 20" gun
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Impossible, service rifle shooters say so. Throw out everything we've learned in the last 30 years also because irons will rule forever.

Yeah absolutely I want an acog to shoot small groups and pick out threats in the shadows of alleys
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:

Well, they're going to need to cake those optics with snow, sawdust and chainsaw oil to really see what's what. Get out in the real world, man.
View All Quotes

Obviously mocking and ignorant.  Are you really that shallow and inexperienced that you can't fathom that 1-2 feet of snow in a day is different than people saying  a 4" snow shower and their scope is fine? Add in spending all day in the woods with snow dumping on you from trees for several days? Don't be dumb. I'm not interjecting in peoples experience in the TX gulf coast saying my experience trumps theirs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Obviously mocking and ignorant.  Are you really that shallow and inexperienced that you can't fathom that 1-2 feet of snow in a day is different than people saying  a 4" snow shower and their scope is fine? Add in spending all day in the woods with snow dumping on you from trees for several days? Don't be dumb. I'm not interjecting in peoples experience in the TX gulf coast saying my experience trumps theirs.
View Quote

Apologies to anyone who feels like collateral damage, but that was directed (yes, mockingly) at the member who expressed some less than high opinions of anyone who hadn't suffered the same issues he has.

I do understand and have personally experienced the issues optics can have in bitter cold and heavy snow. That was just a snarky shot at another poster, not a serious take.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

They can't use optics in TX either because it's hot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

It's true.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#37]

It's true.
View All Quotes

It's true.

I feel bad for you guys.

Originally Posted By cwm1150:
I run an Iron sighted patrol rifle during the summer months. The Texas gulf coast humidity is brutal. Optics tend to fog up immediately upon exiting a patrol vehicle with AC. The iron sights don't fog up. Rest of the time I run optics. Gonna be interesting to see how my glock with holosun fares as well. Anti fog stuff does not really seem to help.

Someday in the future optics will become ready for outdoor use.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:29:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustedAce] [#38]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:35:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#39]

View All Quotes

No, I can't fathom 2 feet of snow in a day (in May!).

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/2023/05/05/michigans-upper-peninsula-gets-2-feet-snow-may-record/
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
Irons all the way for me. I also don't use those stupid weapon mounted lights. If I have to shoot at night I use my trusty Rem 870 loaded with birdshot. If whatever is around doesn't run off after racking a round I can just shoot in their general direction and knock them on their ass.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dangus:

https://i.imgur.com/Ye9YHrE.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:05:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#43]
I have retro guns with some modern upgrades (trigger, selector, muzzle device, etc.), but almost all of my “modern” guns have optics.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpacemanSpiff] [#44]

Apologies to anyone who feels like collateral damage, but that was directed (yes, mockingly) at the member who expressed some less than high opinions of anyone who hadn't suffered the same issues he has.

I do understand and have personally experienced the issues optics can have in bitter cold and heavy snow. That was just a snarky shot at another poster, not a serious take.
View All Quotes

No need to apologize. I don't care what anyone from Ill-annoy thinks about my opinion on winter gear or much of anything else for that matter.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:
How I feel trying to explain to Grandwizard ranking sawdust snowservice A/C enjoyerment shooters that I just want to be able to hit my enemies faster:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47980/IMG_4270-3213647.jpg
View Quote

Come on up to my place in January and we can finally defeat the snow Taliban.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I have them as a back up but damn I shot better with the irons than I did with the Vortex red dot on my cheap PSA upper. I'll take one inch groups at a 100 yards.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:

No need to apologize. I don't care what anyone from Ill-annoy thinks about my opinion on winter gear or much of anything else for that matter.

View Quote

Roger that. Hope you enjoy the rest of your evening.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#48]
Only 1 that gets shot often. The other is 7.5” 5.56 with a brake with only MBUS, I only shoot it when people setup next to me with a big caliber and a brake.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Can't afford an optic? Hit the gym, sweatie.😘
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top