BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StraightShootinGal:
Define "friend"...

Cuz if that Black person didn't ever invite you to a cook-out...you might not be the "friend" you thought you were.

https://www.quora.com/A-black-person-told-me-that-I-was-invited-to-the-BBQ-What-does-that-mean

ETA:

I think Asians aren't down with having White people around w/o obtaining permission in advance too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpS3IDVgRo
View Quote

The left has poisoned so many minds
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to be open and considerate enough that people will want to be your friend. Different ethnic groups have positive attributes that should make you want to be their friends as well.
Color shouldn't be the basis of your life decisions. You can't put people in a box and say this person looks like those people so I don't like him or want to be around him. That to me is true democrats racism.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:16:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#3]
This African American bullshit is insane.  We are all Americans.  

I can assure you I am closer to my Sicilian heritage than 90% of the blacks in this country are to Africa.  I am 2nd Gen American.  My grandmother was born in Sicily

I donā€™t call myself Sicilian American

I am a mother fucking American

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:29:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Moldy] [#4]
Originally Posted By ar154all:
Grew up .mil. Ā Everybody was Air Force Blue. Ā Never met an "African American" until my Dad retired and we moved back to the States.

The culture shock coming from Europe to Florida was... Intense.

I had some 'pie in the sky' idea of what America would be like when we got back ... Ā I had a rude awakening.
View Quote

I also grew up on a European AF base.  Returning to America as a fifth grader I was confused by society.  

In the military money isnā€™t a noticeable thing, but social status is based what you do.   Obviously the ā€œsocietyā€ is broken into officers and enlisted.   Public interactions between the two groups are governed by tradition and written rules.   Infractions are promptly addressed.   Obviously in the AF, pilots are the top dog, the sole purpose of the 5k people on a base are to get those birds in the air, nothing else matters.  Color didnā€™t matter.

Returning to the USA, I was confused how oneā€™s parents money affected the kids social status.   Also clicks and social groups werenā€™t really a thing at military schools because the students are coming and going with such frequency that clicks donā€™t form.   Everyone is the new kid, all the time.  

Seeing your dad give and receive military courtesy (salute) unconsciously reinforced that society was rules based.  The rules were known by all and generally adhered to by the professionals who make up the modern services.    

The civilian world finds virtue in questioning the rules, everyone is a special flower who should be treated as an individual.   Lawyers argue about things that are true/just 99% of the time just because the 1% who canā€™t get with the program.   Society dragged down to the lowest common denominator.  

I get it, we canā€™t all be pilots, someone has to fill the ā€œlesserā€ jobs.  But we no longer admire those above us, strive for more than what we are today because that would make those who try and fail feel bad about themselves.

ā€œBe all you can beā€ became  ā€œget yoursā€

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:41:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:
None.

All the black people I know are from America.
View Quote

Friend?  No.  

Acquaintance?  Of course.

To be fair, I have few friends, by my definition.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#6]
None.

View Quote

I have one friend who immigrated to America from Africa.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I do. She's a white woman from South Africa.

Any blacks I know are from America. None have ever been from or even to Africa.

I used to know twins from South Africa that also moved here in their teens. So I guess they count as well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently slept with a girl whose dad lived in Rhodesia.  Iā€™m not sure if that counts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:27:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#9]
Never really had the opportunity.  When I was young, we only had a few black people in my town, they mostly kept to their area of town.  Being young and ignorant, I walked around said area of town not knowing they lived there.  The glares I got from behind windows were not nice.  The ones at high school, mostly the thug type, never had much interaction with them, but I avoid them due to their reputation.  Which was a good idea, because 2 years after I graduated, there was a race riot at the school.  

I look back at that town now, and its been swallowed up by the Prince Georges County urban sprawl (Maryland) plague of city ghetto thugs, etc.  High school went from a decent one, to one that has a 2/10 rating due to their shitty culture.

As an adult, I've been around black people, but I never could approve of their self-serving victim mentality.  I certainly didn't grow up with much privelege and their incessant whining about they were oppressed wore pretty thin.  It was obvious that most of their problems were self-inflicted, yet they persisted in blaming everyone around them, not themselves.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I grew up in the PNW, the only real "black Americans" I met were when I went to Fort Benning for Infantry Basic/AIT (late 80's)...now that shit was educational!

Being in/around the military most of my post-collegiate life, I've worked with, for, alongside, and led Soldiers from every racial/ethnic spectrum. I never gave a shit about melanin. I've had good friends and I've known untrustworthy fucks along that entire spectrum as well. I was probably more "friendly" with the "black Americans" (or any color) who were also gun enthusiasts and/or outdoor enthusiasts.  

Now, I did a contract gig up in Northern VA a few years ago for about 9 months and rented a basement room from a married couple and the wife's mother. They were all from Ghana (husband recently naturalized, wife in the process and the mother visiting with a work visa) and simply the best people in the world. Hard workers, respectful, they type of citizens I would prefer to legally immigrate to America.

The only people who obsess over the color of one's skin are typically Marxist-Democrats and Racists; and those are often one in the same.

Last trip to our GAHTF gun range, I brought along some co-workers. White, Black, Hispanic, mixed-Polynesian, and an Italian who looks like a Mexican You know what? Nobody gave a shit about skin color...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#11]
None.

View Quote
I came to say this. I did have a physical therapist from South Africa once.
She was white though.          
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#12]
None.

View Quote

This. They're all 100% American born & raised.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Just one. He was originally  from Liberia. He was a good dude but he talked like Peggy Hill without using contractions.  He ended up moving back to Liberia because things were going badly there and he thought he could help make things better. I lost touch with him after that.

He's the only one I have ever even known. ( And, you did not want to ask his opinion on blacks here in America.  It would set him off.)
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#14]
this is an odd thread.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:10:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: any7ven] [#15]
friendly acquaintances but not deep friend zone

oddly enough they donā€™t seem all that interested in befriending a bunch of white dudes either

it would seem that there is a natural tendency for folks to stick around with other folks that have similar backgrounds and shared experiences

itā€™s not wrong

i have no problem with people of color - content of character more important  - plenty of great experiences in conversation and in public with people of all races

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I was fucking this smoke show from Nigeria but she wan't American

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I was friendly with a few from work or school, but good friends I know really well, zero.  I can count on one hand with fingers left over the number of blacks in my high school graduating class of 600.  I went to college with no black professors, and very few black students, most classes had none.  I had a career in a field with very few blacks, that's probably changed by now.  I live in a neighborhood with very few blacks, that's changing over time too.  I'm not trying to avoid blacks per se, we just don't move in the same circles or have the same interests.  I never see any participating at the shooting matches I attend.  There are a few that attend the gym where I work out, I don't know them except by name.  I don't actively seek them out to fill my diversity bingo card.    Shrug.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had black friends over the years, but they were normal, educated, culturally assimilated people.  

I've never had a black friend who was immersed in black culture - hell I don't want to be around them at all.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I do but they are white.

You should hear what they think of blacks. Their experience, in S.A. was very educational.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#20]
No but I wouldnā€™t be opposed to it.

Problems is that anymore my criteria for friendship is kind of stupidly narrow. Thereā€™s loads of people I ā€œdonā€™t mindā€ but not many at all who I could ever ā€œloveā€ in any kind of deep friendship sense.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
Oh you meant black people.

Well my wife is black and both my kids are black I guess.

Wait actually they're more white than black.

Op what do you mean black? Ā Like black black? Or just some black?
View Quote

According to Joe Biden yous ainā€™t black if yous donā€™t vote for me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I work in agriculture and have met quite a few guys from Arfica. Seem like good folks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ydididothis:
My best friend is black, we grew up together in the hood. He owns a pretty successful communications company in Perth, Australia.

We talk a few times a week. He hates what America has become.
View Quote

His name Russell?

I'm well acquainted with black people, including my wife. Living in Atlanta be like that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Nah my old boss was black and we still kick it from time to time. He and his wife were our Bingo buddies pre-Covid.

He did get kind of stupid around the whole Rittenhouse thing though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:05:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#25]
Originally Posted By StraightShootinGal:
Define "friend"...

Cuz if that Black person didn't ever invite you to a cook-out...you might not be the "friend" you thought you were.

https://www.quora.com/A-black-person-told-me-that-I-was-invited-to-the-BBQ-What-does-that-mean

ETA:

I think Asians aren't down with having White people around w/o obtaining permission in advance too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpS3IDVgRo
View Quote

Lol btdt, black grannies are the best. "Come on, get yo self a plate honey, don't be shy."

I'll do you one better, how about a road trip to Mobile and NO for Mardi Gras... Went with my 3 best buds from HS, all black.

It was comical when a drunk eastern european guy tried to start a fight with me in a NO bar, announcing I didn't want trouble because his brother was here, motioning to a guy at the pool table. My 6'2" buddy slapped the bar behind him and said "he's got his brothers here."

That ended that quickly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#26]
none.  

i grew up and live in an area that is 99.9% white
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I think there is just one black in the county I live in.  Don't see him as he's never out rioting.  

So no, don't have a black friend.  Do Sioux Natives count?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:19:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jollyg83] [#28]
OP is racist and probably doesnā€™t even know it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Close friend?  Never.

Casual friends, several.  There was a guy from New York City in my boot camp platoon, he was really cool and we got along great.  I wish I had been able to keep in touch with him.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quit the african american bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#31]
One of my childhood buddies was born in Ethiopia and was adopted by my parentsā€™ friends. Wonder what heā€™s up to these days. One of the nicest guys Iā€™ve ever known.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I've never in my life had a black friend refer to themselves as "african-american". My friend groups have always been
devoid of liberals. I always thought it was a liberal thing.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Had a black guy in a band I played inā€¦he was a hoot and a dirty minded fucker. Wrote and performed songs on dvd. Only one I can recall was called ā€œkick her in the cuntā€ šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ ( the band would not perform his songs however)
His white ā€œwifeā€ however, was a crazy jealous, fat bitch that had a son who was killed while in the marines and she had a bunch of ā€œMarineā€ decals all over her car.
Only black person I ever knew and he was not a friend. Also there was a black kid in our all white high school who kept to himself mostly. His family lived in a single-wide on the outskirts of town.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:54:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nightstalker] [#34]
Oh you meant black people.

Well my wife is black and both my kids are black I guess.

Wait actually they're more white than black.

Op what do you mean black?  Like black black? Or just some black?
View Quote
Ultimately people may have unknowingly had black friends.

Divide and conquer is still pretty effective.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#35]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I have some black friends and a couple that I would consider close friends. That said , the cultural and political differences are  evident and lingering just below the surface.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Honestly no.
I think we had one full black kid in our highschool and our paths pretty much never crossed.
The half black girl in elementary wasn't particularly friendly to me but I was kind of a troublesome youth.

I had one black roommate in college who stole my shit. I don't talk to many people or make many friends anymore. I'd have to consider a friend someone who i would communicate and make plans with outside of things we were both already doing, i guess there was one half japanese half black kid i hung out with one year who could qualify.

I'm pretty introverted so unless someone is seeking to befriend me I don't make many  friends.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#39]
LOL I grew up in New Orleans east well after all the white people left. My elementary and middle school was like 98% black. It sucked ass, ghetto kids will tear apart anyone who isn't ghetto.

The more athletically inclined but less intelligent ones were the ones who were prone to falling in with thug culture, gangs and shit, skipping school to hang out on the street with neighborhood thugs. A lot of it had to do with their parents and how active / protective they were. If they weren't, or if they were raised by their elderly grandma, they tended to be shittier.

The good ones were the nerdy ones. The ones whose parents made them stay home and got them PlayStations to keep their asses inside so they wouldn't mix up with the gangs. My buddies would talk about how to unlock secret limit breaks in OG Final Fantasy 7, one would buy a games strategy guide and we'd pore over it for information. Good times.

I left for high school with a bunch of rich white kids. Quite a culture shock. While decidedly safer there were also quite a few racist little who called me a few creative epithets I'd never heard before, and of course bullying etc.

I learned that all people regardless of skin color can be terrible, but it's a choice they make. Nobody puts a gun to your head and tells you to go be a POS today. It's your choice.  Do good. Or not. I choose not to. Or do my best.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quite a few actually, the company I work for has a plant in South Africa.  So lots of expats have come here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#41]

That's not a buddy that's a true bro.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sirbordsalot311:
I had a black buddy in college and whenever we were around girls he would tell me ā€œIā€™ll take any of the thick onesā€

That's not a buddy that's a true bro.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Not too many black folks around these parts
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:17:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar154all] [#43]
Originally Posted By Moldy:

I also grew up on a European AF base. Ā Returning to America as a fifth grader I was confused by society. Ā 

In the military money isnā€™t a noticeable thing, but social status is based what you do. Ā  Obviously the ā€œsocietyā€ is broken into officers and enlisted. Ā  Public interactions between the two groups are governed by tradition and written rules. Ā  Infractions are promptly addressed. Ā  Obviously in the AF, pilots are the top dog, the sole purpose of the 5k people on a base are to get those birds in the air, nothing else matters. Ā Color didnā€™t matter.

Returning to the USA, I was confused how oneā€™s parents money affected the kids social status. Ā  Also clicks and social groups werenā€™t really a thing at military schools because the students are coming and going with such frequency that clicks donā€™t form. Ā  Everyone is the new kid, all the time. Ā 

Seeing your dad give and receive military courtesy (salute) unconsciously reinforced that society was rules based. Ā The rules were known by all and generally adhered to by the professionals who make up the modern services. Ā  Ā 

The civilian world finds virtue in questioning the rules, everyone is a special flower who should be treated as an individual. Ā  Lawyers argue about things that are true/just 99% of the time just because the 1% who canā€™t get with the program. Ā  Society dragged down to the lowest common denominator. Ā 

I get it, we canā€™t all be pilots, someone has to fill the ā€œlesserā€ jobs. Ā But we no longer admire those above us, strive for more than what we are today because that would make those who try and fail feel bad about themselves.

ā€œBe all you can beā€ became Ā ā€œget yoursā€

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Moldy:
Originally Posted By ar154all:
Grew up .mil. Ā Everybody was Air Force Blue. Ā Never met an "African American" until my Dad retired and we moved back to the States.

The culture shock coming from Europe to Florida was... Intense.

I had some 'pie in the sky' idea of what America would be like when we got back ... Ā I had a rude awakening.

I also grew up on a European AF base. Ā Returning to America as a fifth grader I was confused by society. Ā 

In the military money isnā€™t a noticeable thing, but social status is based what you do. Ā  Obviously the ā€œsocietyā€ is broken into officers and enlisted. Ā  Public interactions between the two groups are governed by tradition and written rules. Ā  Infractions are promptly addressed. Ā  Obviously in the AF, pilots are the top dog, the sole purpose of the 5k people on a base are to get those birds in the air, nothing else matters. Ā Color didnā€™t matter.

Returning to the USA, I was confused how oneā€™s parents money affected the kids social status. Ā  Also clicks and social groups werenā€™t really a thing at military schools because the students are coming and going with such frequency that clicks donā€™t form. Ā  Everyone is the new kid, all the time. Ā 

Seeing your dad give and receive military courtesy (salute) unconsciously reinforced that society was rules based. Ā The rules were known by all and generally adhered to by the professionals who make up the modern services. Ā  Ā 

The civilian world finds virtue in questioning the rules, everyone is a special flower who should be treated as an individual. Ā  Lawyers argue about things that are true/just 99% of the time just because the 1% who canā€™t get with the program. Ā  Society dragged down to the lowest common denominator. Ā 

I get it, we canā€™t all be pilots, someone has to fill the ā€œlesserā€ jobs. Ā But we no longer admire those above us, strive for more than what we are today because that would make those who try and fail feel bad about themselves.

ā€œBe all you can beā€ became Ā ā€œget yoursā€

1000% agree

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Im colorblind

I am good friends with a couple pastors who keep trying to save me-pastor Mary and pastor Johnny
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Nope.  No problem with races but there were very few in this area when I as growing up.  I think I was in the 8th grade when a black kid appeared at our school.  He was the first black kid I ever saw at our school.

There were not many in my high school either.  I don't remember any in my engineering classes either.

There are more around town now, but still a very low percentage of the local population.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#46]
None. I have never befriended anyone from Africa. I have had Black American friends in the past though if that's what you're actually talking about. Never met a black person who wanted to be called African American. They always prefer black.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 1cheapshot:
Never. They were black Americans. šŸ˜‰
View Quote

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to be friends with somebody who calls themself (or anybody else) "African-American".

I have friends who are white Americans, black Americans, skinny Americans, fat Americans, dumb Americans, asshole Americans..... now that I think about it, they're mostly just asshole Americans...

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
I have several and they're some of the best people I've ever met. Yes black people have some serious problems with their culture but they're not all bad. Have any of you gone through life without befriending one at all?
View Quote

You mean a black friend?

All I can tell you is the sideways look you might get from bringing a black friend home is nothing compared to the look he gets from his mom when he brings the white trash friend home.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I couldn't imagine growing up again without the black friends I had  in elementary thru High school

1980 thru 1986 elementary

1 black friend ( Reggie) man we had a fun up bringing

1987 thru 1989

Middle school and I rode the south arlington va bus . Didn't find out too 1st day of school

Got on the bus and looked back and went what in the fucking  south east DC

End of the school year we were laughing every day ( back of the bus , and playing madden games and for some reason
i was made to play flag football with them

?

Mfs set me up

my folks were asking me when I called them to pick me up how the hell I got to south arlington after school

Hugh school they all played football and concentrated on getting out of the area

Lost touch with most

A few died/ killed cause of the crime in and around wash dc

The ones I last talked to left the area

A few black co workers since 1997 ( very few )

Older generation

The ones you can joke with unlike the ones today

Old man Ted Vaughn ( rip )

That old man I miss alot

He would come into work and be

Hiw my fucking frito banditos or can we go cut his grass

Many a time I would offer him a aspirin and I'd wait fkr him to pick the cotton ball

Oh it was a fucking riot

He would pick it and he would see me and my cousins laughing

And he would usually respond with a one liner like

dont whip me sir or ooh its hots masta

God I miss the old man
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I canā€™t imagine thatā€™s even possible unless youā€™re actively avoiding that as a possibility.

I didnā€™t get along with them in high school. Iā€™m sure it had a lot to do with the company I kept.

My big brother in our fraternity was the only black guy in our group. We still stay in touch and heā€™s universally loved and respected.

Iā€™m a regular ole white guy, but our fraternity was pretty diverse.

I try to treat everyone equally until they give me reasons not to. Some of my most respected colleagues are black. None of us care one lick about their skin color. Or any of the other skin colors in the organization. Itā€™s just not a thing.
Page / 5
Top Top