Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife's 09 Sonata gave us no issues till about 190K when it needed a tune up.
My mom decided to replace her totaled buick with a 23 sonata. It's a nice car but I don't have confidence it will be trouble free.
Due to kidney failure and other issues Mom can't drive anymore, so basically I drive it. Hopefully it goes for a long time without problems.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Palm:
There are several great YouTube sites hosted by engine rebuilders.  It is quite interesting to see them tear down an engine to diagnose the failure cause. Dave’s Auto Center comes to mind. Flying Wrenches is another channel that deals with only Fords trucks.

These sites are professionally written, filmed, and produced. It is no longer amateur hour on YouTube. The auto manufacturers should make watching them mandatory for their engineers cost accountants.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:29:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#3]
Wasn’t the massive class action lawsuit about ring sizing?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

Or something like "I've driven mine 30,000 miles with no issues!" Which is the same as saying "I've got 30 rounds through my AR with no issues!" It means nothing.
View Quote

My Dd has 197k on it.

4500 mile oil changes with synthetic. No major repairs yet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#5]
QC/cleaning out machined parts will get your ass everytime.

Barry Grant Carburetors were NOTORIOUS for this right before they were bought by Holley. I was working at a performance shop at the time and it became common to immediately take a brand new carb out the box, take it apart, and blow everything out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I seem to remember LilPony doing a thread a year or so ago on how Hyundai's OEM oil filters were the only filter that would not cause the engine to explode. How all the aftermarket filter manufacturers were too stupid to build an oil filter. Then mentioned something about the OEM filters being designed to bypass at like 5-6 psi or some insanely low number.

If that company is building engines that cut corners on oil pressure to meet emissions/mileage standards, it's no wonder there's so many dead on the roadside these days. Automotive equivalent of suicide bombers.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:46:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stutzmech] [#7]
Sounds like it’s not oil change intervals but a problem with debris, a lot of crank/block production is highly automated and I don’t think there’s a human blowing out and inspecting passages anymore
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Is it white? If so you may have just missed the warranty extension in '23 Sucks man, but a number of mfg have had paint issues, mostly white. I'm told because shaking out new practices/formulas due to new environmental regs. No idea why mostly white - maybe someone knows

Found link - not sure it would get you anywhere as they are hard on sunset dates but if you refer to this info might be worth some rattling

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10228639-0001.pdf

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1751_jpeg-3208630.JPG

View Quote

The paint on the hood of my son's white Elantra peeled like that.  Hyundai repainted it (not sure if entire car or just the area that was peeling) and covered his rental car.  He had it back in about a week.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:47:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tep0583] [#9]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

My Dd has 197k on it.

View Quote

201k. Oil changes at ~7k normally, sometimes longer by 500-700 miles or so.

Mostly dealer oil for the first couple of years, after that Mobile 1 for a few years. Now Super Tech or whatever full synthetic is on sale and API approved. Normally a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter.

No issues. In total, I've replaced a pair of coils, a rear caliper that was sticking, and normal wear items after that.

Still runs like new.

ETA - not KIA/Hyundai. Mazda.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Wasn't the massive class action lawsuit about ring sizing?
View Quote

Although the causal defect was uncleared swarf, there lots of reports of excessive oil consumption pre '17. Mostly Theta II '11-14. It kinda gets blended in. Unsure if there are any other complaints pending for around that period, but Cho et al. v. Hyundai Motor Company, Ltd. et al. was dismissed

This is latest that's been actioned on

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:57:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#11]

My Dd has 197k on it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

Or something like "I've driven mine 30,000 miles with no issues!" Which is the same as saying "I've got 30 rounds through my AR with no issues!" It means nothing.

My Dd has 197k on it.

I had an '02 5r55 with over 250k on it. Somebody out there probably has a reliable S&W Sigma. It means nothing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Whenever I talk to KM owners, who undoubtably love their cars, and the caveat "it's been an incredible car, well . . except for motors " comes up,  really wonder what's going on.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ManMan:
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
I'll go with 10k+ mile oil changes and generally more of a lazy/cheap owner base.

Not true.

I replaced the oil in my 2011 kia optima every 5k miles. Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter, all I've ever used.

Kia has replaced my engine twice due to knock sensor issue. First one at 96k miles, second one at 242k miles. They said it is warrantied for life for the knock sensor error code due to the class action lawsuit. I will say, other than the engine issue, it's been a damn beast. I bet I've spent less than $2k in maintenance on this car in the 13 years I've owned it! My grandkids will be driving this damn car.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20240304_165847_jpg-3208605.JPG

At 240k mi with 5k oil changes you're over $2500 in oil changes alone, assuming a $38 bottle of Mobile 1 and a $15 Mobile 1 filter.    And despite your frequent oil changes,  you've had your engine replaced twice.... doesn't seem like much to brag about

Whenever I talk to KM owners, who undoubtably love their cars, and the caveat "it's been an incredible car, well . . except for motors " comes up,  really wonder what's going on.

My point was more along the line of people who tote frequent oil changes as "cheap insurance".   Replacing engines every 100k doesn't seem to support that hypothesis ...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#13]

My point was more along the line of people who tote frequent oil changes as "cheap insurance".   Replacing engines every 100k doesn't seem to support that hypothesis ...
View All Quotes
I'll go with 10k+ mile oil changes and generally more of a lazy/cheap owner base.

Not true.

I replaced the oil in my 2011 kia optima every 5k miles. Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter, all I've ever used.

Kia has replaced my engine twice due to knock sensor issue. First one at 96k miles, second one at 242k miles. They said it is warrantied for life for the knock sensor error code due to the class action lawsuit. I will say, other than the engine issue, it's been a damn beast. I bet I've spent less than $2k in maintenance on this car in the 13 years I've owned it! My grandkids will be driving this damn car.

At 240k mi with 5k oil changes you're over $2500 in oil changes alone, assuming a $38 bottle of Mobile 1 and a $15 Mobile 1 filter.    And despite your frequent oil changes,  you've had your engine replaced twice.... doesn't seem like much to brag about

They’re also people who don’t know anything about how oil works.

Mechanics, engine builders or just internet posters.  They literally don’t understand how engine oil operates. People don’t think oil be like it is, but it do. - White oil man.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Kia Boyz or a tweaker around here will steal them before the engine becomes a problem Even after the dealer "fix"

Good luck getting insurance on many models............
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:41:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taipan01] [#16]
I'm on my second KIA (both AWD Sportage's) and had no problems with the first sans the usual replacement parts but nothing by way of manufacturing defects, same so far on the second. Then again, I do a full oil change and filter within the first 1500, most times 1,000, miles on any new car. I've bought used for the kids and those get changed right away. Something I've always done as I don't know how long it's been in there and secondly as I don't know what may be floating around inside. Strange though, on this last one I had to argue for them to take my money and do the job. If push came to shove I'd a done it myself but it's getting to be a pain in the ass to crawl around underneath an oil pan at my age. The shop had large windows in the waiting room out into the garage, yes, they did change it before it's asked.

Funny how some of the old ways are still the better ways.

EDTA: Just noticed my membership expired again. Something else to get to.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#17]
A person I worked with claimed an engine “part” flew through the dash on his KIA and nearly hit him in head when the engine grenaded on the interstate at 80 mph.
Is this possible?  
What part would fly with that much force?  Cam bolt?  Chain pulley? Hydraulic lash adjuster?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I was doing an oil change every 5-6K in the girlfriends 2017 sorento and by the time the engine fully died at 109K on the odo, that piece of shit was burning a quart of oil every 100 miles. Constant blue haze coming out of the tailpipe.

It's not the owners (usually) on the theta II engines
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jsnappa:
A person I worked with claimed an engine “part” flew through the dash on his KIA and nearly hit him in head when the engine grenaded on the interstate at 80 mph.
Is this possible?  
What part would fly with that much force?  Cam bolt?  Chain pulley? Hydraulic lash adjuster?
View Quote

It is possible, yeah.  Is it probable, no.  It would take a massive amount of energy to release a piece from the engine, go through the firewall, and through the dash components.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

Mechanics, engine builders or just internet posters.  They literally don’t understand how engine oil operates. People don’t think oil be like it is, but it do. - White oil man.
View All Quotes

Not true.

Lot of my experience with people asking what oil, or other fluid they need for their car have never read their manual.  Did that a lot in college.  Open their manual, flip to the page with the spec for whatever fluid, and tell them to go into the store and ask for what the sticky note is on.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SOCTAC:

I was doing an oil change every 5-6K in the girlfriends 2017 sorento and by the time the engine fully died at 109K on the odo, that piece of shit was burning a quart of oil every 100 miles. Constant blue haze coming out of the tailpipe.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SOCTAC:

That sucks.
Piston ring issue it sounds like.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:00:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#22]

View Quote

I was meaning aside from the oil changes. I've replaced the clock spring, starter, battery, alternator, brakes, tensioner/pulleys and spark plugs. In 13 YEARS!

The engine replacements have cost me NOTHING. So yeah, even if you add in oil changes this car has cost me maybe $5k to operate over 13 years. I would consider that a huge score.

Good on kia for fixing their issues and standing behind their product.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Title should read:

"Mechanic reveals [his opinion] why so many Kia and Hyundai engines fail."

I'm sure it's based on extensive research and hundreds of forensic diassemblies but if you don't write it down you're just screwing around.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

"I Do Cars" is a personal favorite. Dude is like a useful Adam Sandler Entertaining and educational, it makes for a pretty fun watch, or at the very least an interesting bit of background noise during the day...
View Quote

Thanks, I will check it out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Seadra_tha_Guineapig:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seadra_tha_Guineapig:
Originally Posted By Palm:
There are several great YouTube sites hosted by engine rebuilders.  It is quite interesting to see them tear down an engine to diagnose the failure cause. Dave’s Auto Center comes to mind. Flying Wrenches is another channel that deals with only Fords trucks.

These sites are professionally written, filmed, and produced. It is no longer amateur hour on YouTube. The auto manufacturers should make watching them mandatory for their engineers cost accountants.

FIFY

Da Tooth!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
on my 4th kia with zero issues first 3 got traded in at around 100k.

kia's are all over the place here and i know tons of people that own them. i hear of very few issues and the only major issues i have heard about were on older models.

i have been nothing but happy with them. every brand has had it's share of issues.
View Quote
I own 2.  Worst issue was a flat tire.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#27]
on my 4th kia with zero issues first 3 got traded in at around 100k.

kia's are all over the place here and i know tons of people that own them. i hear of very few issues and the only major issues i have heard about were on older models.

i have been nothing but happy with them. every brand has had it's share of issues.
View Quote
The tend to grenade a bit past 100k. My wife's got to about 120k. Regular oil changes and maintenance. Perfect little SUV. Within a couple hundred miles, it had cam/crank sensor failures and obvious oil starvation and engine death. She drives a Toyota now. She bought the Hyundai before we dated. They are good little short-term disposable cars. But that's it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Not true.

"My oil starts to get dark at XXXX miles,  that's how I know it needs to be changed!"
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I'm not gonna lie.

I have so much shit to deal with in my life I stick with what the manufacture tells me what to use.

no bullshit on my end, I did everything within guidelines, I don't care if something is "better"

I have some small idea about some of the specifications especially in relation to particulate filters but overall.. I just don't have the bandwidth left in life for it to matter since I'll just end up using what the manufacture specifies anyway.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

I'm not gonna lie.

I have so much shit to deal with in my life I stick with what the manufacture tells me what to use.

no bullshit on my end, I did everything within guidelines, I don't care if something is "better"

I have some small idea about some of the specifications especially in relation to particulate filters but overall.. I just don't have the bandwidth left in life for it to matter since I'll just end up using what the manufacture specifies anyway.
View Quote

Actually a very good decision from a business/warranty standpoint
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Fair take
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By anymanusa:

Oil change intervals are a thing of science. I do 14k and my car has 204k on it. Engine and all.  Oul analysis shows I still have the additives left for several thousand more miles if I wanted to push it.

It's not magic. It's quite well understood. Highway miles are easy on an engine.
View Quote

Years ago on one of the corvette forums they drove the piss out of either a base C6 or Z06 for 12k before an oil change and it was fine as well. I'm not saying I would go that long but the guys who frequently change their oil without putting too many miles on it are wasting their time and money.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:09:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#33]
While true, some have had improper quality control with machining its actually more fundamental than that.

It is the connecting rod design and the rod bearing itself, It simply can't cut it any more. As it is mostly designed on a mitsubishi standard that goes all the way back to 1986, it's old.

The Oil clearance and tolerances is too tight for it, would not be surprised if the rods are technically always hot.

So combine in factors of some bad quality control, an ancient design, Customer neglect and such

And you have a recipe for connecting rod bearings spinning half a millimeter at a time.

Notably on cylinder 3 for some reason.

I've had quite a few of these apart at this point., The engine could be perfectly maintained and all the oil holes in the crankshaft could be perfect but here is this rod bearing blocking the oil hole in the rod becuase it moveed 5 mm.

Mitsubishi uses the same engine to this day. While we have stopped using it. They do not have our issues because from what I can tell the design is different internally when it comes to the rod piston and crank shaft, Yet, for some reason theirs like to snap camshafts in half

Ironically, you could probably put mitsubishi internals in it and I bet it would be fine.

As to who you can blame totally, you can blame the bean counters at Hyundai group.

At least they learned their lesson.

@wheel
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:13:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#34]

I'm not gonna lie.

View Quote

That's where I am to a certain extent.

All car brands are s*** Just some are more s*** than others.

Hyundai group is less than most luckily, but we are not perfect.

In the end it all comes down what do you prefer to fix And what kind of b******* they have that are you willing to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
While true, some have had improper quality control with machining its actually more fundamental than that.

It is the connecting rod design and it's bearing itself, It simply can't cut it any more. As it is mostly designed on a mitsubishi standard that goes all the way back to 1986, it's old.

The Oil clearance and tolerances is too tight for it, would not be surprisedif the rods are technicallyalways hot.

So combine in factors of some bad quality control, an ancient design, Customer neglect and such

And you have a recipe for connecting rod bearings spinning half a millimeter at a time.

Notably on cylinder 3 for some reason.

I've had quite a few of these apart at this point., The engine could be perfectly maintained and all the oil holes in the crankshaft could be perfect but here is this rod bearing blocking the oil hole in the rod becuase it move 5 mm.

Mitsubishi uses the same engine to this day.While we have stopped using it yet.They do not have our issues because From what I can tell the design is different internally when it comes to the rod piston and crank shaft.

Ironically, you could probably put mitsubishi internals in it and I bet it would be fine.

As to who you can blame totally, you can blame the bean counters at Hyundai group.

At least they learned their lesson.
View Quote

Have seen the tightening of clearances on bearings on new cars, and the “thinning “ of shell and bearing material for awhile, older bearings with thicker bearing material used to stand up to damage/ debris a lot better, engineering to close to the edge
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Stutzmech:

Have seen the tightening of clearances on bearings on new cars, and the “thinning “ of shell and bearing material for awhile, older bearings with thicker bearing material used to stand up to damage/ debris a lot better, engineering to close to the edge
View Quote

Tell me about it, sometimes I wish modern cars just had Packard straight 8s in them with Modern fuel injection and Ignition systems hooked up to it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

Tell me about it, sometimes I wish modern cars just had Packard straight 8s in them with Modern fuel injection and Ignition systems hooked up to it.
View Quote

Stutz dv-32 with turbo and fuel injection and electronic ign.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#39]

I'm not gonna lie.

View All Quotes

I'm not gonna lie.

You made my point.  

If the manufacturer says use X product at Y time. Go for it.

Trying to over think the engineering team by using a different product at a different interval… like, really? Why bother?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#40]
Heck, then there's a secondary issue that involves all Asian Makes at this point anymore and that is low piston tension ring sticking in most of the now previous generation engines.

So much of everything anymore is just garbage.

All the auto brands nowadays are no more competent than Boeing.

Modern cars are engineered by accountants and are overburdened by federal regulations.

Modern cars still have the soul, but their heart is filled with artery blockages.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#41]
That drive.com Kia article about 9 engines replaced under warranty in less than 10 years is lol crazy...

Hking
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:36:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#43]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

The Stratus sucked as a car. Most Dodge cars are trash.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
Originally Posted By FunnyStar:
So manufacturing quality does matter, not speed of machining/assembly. It really is nothing new. I saw a first oil change on a new brand new car after 5000 miles display metal shaving that were obviously from manufacturing of the engine. American made car, Dodge Stratus of the mid 90's era.

The Stratus sucked as a car. Most Dodge cars are trash.
I had a 90's Stratus back in the day.  The car was actually not all that bad overall.  Engine and transmission were good.  The only thing that failed on me too much was the fuel pump.

Irrelevant anecdote, I know.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#44]

circumstantial i know but there are thousands of old kias running around here with obviously well over 100k. i fully agree prior to around 2010 kia was on par with yugo. they made a serious quality shift around that time and i'd put them on par with any similar priced vehicle today. The fact most dealers throw in a life time power train warranty actually puts them above many.

my 96 k2500 suburban was on it's 3rd engine and second transmission when i sold it around 250k miles, my 07 f150 kings range has 180k and is on it's second transmission. all out of pocket and none of it covered for warranty.

no vehicle is immune to failures.
View Quote

I have an 09 Sorento with about 190K. It currently needs an alternator I think. I need to check it out before letting my wife write it off as a goner. I put a reman alternator in about two years ago maybe. I planned to have replaced it by now but some unexpected taxes and my furnace grenading itself in November put a damper in replacing the old sorento.

It might get its replacement this month though in the form of an AWD Palisade or Telluride.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Is this possible?  
View Quote

Piece of block maybe.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Actually a very good decision from a business/warranty standpoint
View Quote

Anything that simplifies things makes life less complicated. all the time people tell me "oh I want to use this or this oil" I search for it and check the specifications. does not match specifications I will not use it. I have a print out of the last chart showing all approved oils in the desk with my battery list.

You made my point.  

If the manufacturer says use X product at Y time. Go for it.

Trying to over think the engineering team by using a different product at a different interval… like, really? Why bother?
View Quote

That's exactly what I was trying to do, enforce your point.

though If I was in the custom engine building game I would probably take a lot more time learning which oils will work best for whatever I'm doing...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Rick-OShay:

Piece of block maybe.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rick-OShay:
Is this possible?  

Piece of block maybe.

Makes sense, the guy had no idea.
I would want to find out if it happened to me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I figured it was because they're trash cars.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Stutz dv-32 with turbo and fuel injection and electronic ign.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498772/IMG_0423-3208818.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#50]

circumstantial i know but there are thousands of old kias running around here with obviously well over 100k. i fully agree prior to around 2010 kia was on par with yugo. they made a serious quality shift around that time and i'd put them on par with any similar priced vehicle today. The fact most dealers throw in a life time power train warranty actually puts them above many. .
View Quote

Weird, Kia’s massive engine replacement settlements are from 2010-2020… millions of engines.
Page / 3
Top Top