User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Waiting for the DEI Eagle required merit badge
View Quote

To earn it you must perform gender reassignment surgery on yourself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:56:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrimesSU] [#2]
Changing their title from BSA to SA seems like a poor choice.

There was already another military-style group with the same initials.

Originally Posted By kilrain:

The Girl Scouts are changing their name also...to Scouting Sisters...SS.

View Quote

Lol, you win the internet award today.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
Boy Scouts changing their name. Because inclusion
View Quote

To "Rump Rangers"?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By broken_reticle:

And which one is that?

https://www.scouting.org/skills/merit-badges/eagle-required/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By broken_reticle:
Originally Posted By dbrowne1:
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

Look at the post above yours. Our infatuation with purity tests will never allow any group started by "conservatives" to succeed. Any good modern conservative will come up with a "principaled" excuse why they shouldn't participate in any activity that might require them to publically express their views which might be different than someone else's.  Better to just sit in your basement, alone, and complain anonymously on the internet, than become a local force for change that involves openly espousing your values. Or even to openly support the few that ARE trying to resist the progressive movememt.

I literally told my son’s entire cub scout pack committee that we were quitting and never coming back to scouts if the pack went coed, and why. I appealed privately to one of the more conservative members as well.

They shrugged and did it anyway, offering the usual litany of excuses like “most of the other packs around here did it” and “we need the numbers to survive” and “the families have to bring the sisters anyway.”

The other problem with the whole “get involved locally” argument is that there are tons of policies pushed from the national and council levels that you simply cannot ignore. For example, you can’t just award Eagle to a kid that doesn’t do the DEI merit badge. You either lie about it or do it, and neither is an acceptable option. If a purple-haired tranny wants to join the troop, you let it happen or get sued and cancelled. If some pushy loudmouth mom checks all the boxes to become a ASM, you can’t say “beat it, Karen” unless you want to get sued or cancelled.

Sometimes, walking away is the best or only option. And it doesn’t mean that you and your kid have to sit on the couch. Do things yourself.

And which one is that?

https://www.scouting.org/skills/merit-badges/eagle-required/

I think he means this one.

Which was introduced as the Boy Scouts' response to the murder of the totally Innocent victim of racism, George Floyd. And initially didn't have set requirements, just a "discussion guide" with BLM horseshit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CTYC313:

Force others to step up to the plate after you refused to?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CTYC313:

So have the men abdicated, or were they pushed out by pushy moms?

Honest question.

I have always been heavily involved in outdoor and sports activities (including coaching) for my son. If Boy Scouts were what it used to be, I’d be involved in that too. I can’t be alone here.

Maybe there’s something to the idea of simply not allowing women to be involved. Don’t even make it an option. Force men to step up to the plate.

Force others to step up to the plate after you refused to?

Some of us did. Up until the aforementioned HR lawyer jerked the rug out from under us.

And I'm not a huge dbrowne1 fan and I suspect he doesn't have much use for me, but I doubt very much that he's the hypocrite on this.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lexington:

To "Rump Rangers"?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lexington:
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
Boy Scouts changing their name. Because inclusion

To "Rump Rangers"?

The "I'm not gay" boy touchers left with the Baptists and Mormons.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By heavymetal762:
Can't wait to see the stats on the number of summer camp pregnancies.....
View Quote

VD badge and the Abortion badge
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Southern California's Woodcraft Rangers are now poised to takeover.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Gave up when they allowed “real” breast feeders to join…actual big step forward for Women’s Lib… HaHaHa!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Scouting America for Boys
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Am I alone here when I thought they already changed their name to just "Scouts of America."
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By KD_KA_Drinker:
Well put a fork in that institution.  I grew up a scout in the 80s. It was a good thing back then and I have good memories of it.

I have 2 boys now and we don’t do scouts.
View Quote

Boy Scouts in the 80s was awesome.

I feel bad for the young men of today and what a shit culture they're coming up in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Suck my balls

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Scouts around the rest of the world has been co-ed for decades, are you afraid your boys will suddenly turn heterosexual?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:08:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gmezz4] [#15]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

80s and early 90s for me. Our troop was out of Fort Bragg and we did soo much awesome shit from the rappelling tower on base to regular hiking/camping trips through the Appalachian trail.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Originally Posted By el_hombre:
I was a scout in the 80's and our troop was like a Ranger School prep group  We backpacked damn near every weekend in the Sierras, Winter camped in 20' of snow freezing our little nuts, shooting 22's, learning how to be MEN.

80s and early 90s for me. Our troop was out of Fort Bragg and we did soo much awesome shit from the rappelling tower on base to regular hiking/camping trips through the Appalachian trail.

Same, scouted in Fayettenam in the early 2000s. Absolutely fantastic group of kids and parents. I didn’t realize how important what I learned from them was until years later.

I always hoped to have similar experiences with my son. Now, I even if I found a good troop I don’t think I could trust the institution. Which sucks, because summer camp was always a great time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:41:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Monsterbishi:
Scouts around the rest of the world has been co-ed for decades, are you afraid your boys will suddenly turn heterosexual?
View Quote

It isn't and was never about chasing tail.

The BSA was founded to train/help boys to become adult men, not to be an all-encompassing youth group.  "With the migration of families from farms to cities, there were concerns among some people that young men were no longer learning patriotism, self-reliance, and individualism. It was to teach boys patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred values."

Girls integrated into the troop adds a distraction that isn't needed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

The Explorers program within BSA has been coed for decades, but that wasn’t good enough?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By kilrain:

The Girl Scouts are changing their name also...to Scouting Sisters...SS.

View Quote

Organized under their new umbrella group/, the National Scouting Directive and Allied Parties or NSDAP
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Probably already been said, but this has nothing to do with "inclusion" - it's about destroying the Scouts; which, it would seem, has been accomplished.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#20]
The rainbow neckerchief slide is the first thing that caught my eye.

I loved my days as a scout, but if I had young sons I would NEVER allow them to be scouts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#21]
All this Woke shit is disgusting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
The rainbow neckerchief slide is the first thing that caught my eye.

I loved my days as a scout, but if I had young sons I would NEVER allow them to be scouts.
View Quote

Both the slide and the gay knot badge are fake, unauthorized "awards" and should not be worn. In a sane world, a SM or other leader would have had them remove them from the uniform. But I bet the leaders were wearing them too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#23]
"We are actually teaching kids a much bigger thing. We are teaching them how to have grit, and we're teaching them life skills and we're teaching them how to be good leaders."
View Quote
They did all that in the '60s without any woke bullshit.

And they were inclusive, if you wanted to join, show up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Trail life took over a long time ago where I live.

From my experience a tremendous number if not a majority of scout troops were associated with or "fed" by churches, and I'm not a Mormon but I think it was even more true for them. When they started to divorce themselves from acceptable ideals for the churches that support them, they should have pumped the brakes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Snallygaster:
Dissenting Opinion here.

My daughter ...
View Quote

Here lies the problem: everyone who felt 'excluded' no longer is, and it only required a fundamental transformation of the organization. Those. who "benefit" by having their kid be able to participate now don't care that the organization no longer exists to serve its original purpose, or that other people have almost zero male-only organizations to join in with their sons.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm a 16 year BSA Volunteer. Last 10 or so as an ASM. My son eagled and aged out in 2020. I told my troop I'm done in December. There were some boys I wanted to see make Eagle and the last one earned it last month. There are another 4 boys who aren't far behind him. My main beef is that there are not enough parents stepping up to be leaders. We've had to cancel or cut short multiple trips because we haven't had enough trained and registered adults. Last September, BSA changed the rules so that every adult going on an overnight trip has to be a registered leader, which means they have to pass a background check, and have their references checked plus pay a fee. With BSA's history, and with it all over the news, it seems strange to me that more parents don't want to be involved. I suppose the parents are millenials, so that might explain it.

I've been a leader in American Heritage girls for almost 7 years. Our sponsoring church wants to start a Trail Life troop. The pastor is an Eagle Scout, and very much supports this idea. I told them I'd help out for a year if they can get it off the ground, which probably means 2 or 3 years if I'm having fun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GrimesSU:

The BSA was founded to train/help boys to become adult men, not to be an all-encompassing youth group.  "With the migration of families from farms to cities, there were concerns among some people that young men were no longer learning patriotism, self-reliance, and individualism. It was to teach boys patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred values."

View Quote

This point was lost on everyone. A place for boys to be boys and learn the fundamentals and skills to be men.

Disgusting as every bastion of masculinity to create men has been destroyed.

My son made Eagle in 2016 and shit was getting unbearable then. I held out my position in the troop for another year and unfortunately bailed out, I saw the direction of things then and coming further, had it out with a few lefty scumbags at the local council during meetings.

The BSA is dead.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By zephyr:
I'm in a hotel this week where their convention is happening. There are thousands of them, must cost them a fortune, it's a really nice hotel.

I would say it's about 90% 50+ gray haired white guys.
View Quote

Those are Scout Executives.
Their pensions are funded into the BILLIONS.
I used to work for a Council.
We gave away TVs at the Christmas party’s.
No wonder the volunteers hated the staff.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Boy Scouts has been dead for quite a while now.  This new organization is not Boy Scouts it's just more confirmation that everything woke turns to.....  

<---Eagle, from when it was still earned and the organization had a purpose and respected it's history.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:45:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#31]
Same thing is happening (or has already happened) to the Fraternal Societies. Whether it's the Freemasons, Elks Lodge, Knights of Colombus, American Legion, or the Orange Order.

Gen X'ers and Millennials aren't "joiners" (in contrast to the Boomers, who were maniacal joiners), and so as the Boomers aged out and the next generations became the primary recruiting pool, numbers dropped sharply.  A lot of these organizations changed by liberalizing/diversifying, dropping traditions that didn't really sell well with younger demographics, or got taken over by cabals of liberals (sometimes deliberately, via Entryism....sometimes accidentally as the "up and coming" folks moving into leadership happened to be of a liberal bent).

Many of these organizations developed "professional executive leadership" groups who ran the organization (at the regional and national levels) like a bank or a business....and hired on consultants who advised them on how to broaden their appeal (hint: ditch gender exclusivity, anything that limited cultural or religious appeal, and any physical/capability gatekeeping).

All of that has knock-on effects, coupled with the fact that the Gen X and Millennial parents don't generally participate in their kids' activities.  They'll drop Tommy or Jane off at Football/Soccer/Bible Study and pick them up a few hours later....but basically taking on a "third job" as an activity leader?  Screw that. That's generally not their jam.  So, yeah, Boy/Girl Scouts were always headed for the rocks, with these developments.  GSA had the added push of being heavily hit by 2nd Wave Feminism from the 60's onward, and ditched their traditional culture altogether, early on.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:46:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbrowne1] [#32]
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
My son is 21 now and went from Cub to Scout.  We (I was a CM and then Scout Committee) left at 14 when the Troop 'leadership' became mostly women and the outdoor things took a backseat to making sure the Karen's 'autistic' kids were catered to. Looking from the outside BSA (SA?) has gone completely off the rails.

If my son were about 7-8 years old now, I'd find a handful of other Dads and get the kids together every week, with an outdoor (camping type) activity monthly and a yearly weeklong hike/camp while working our way through this book (and this edition specifically).  

https://www.capecentralhigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1967-Fieldbook-.jpg
View Quote

Good post.

Your first bit is an example of why I'm not convinced that men voluntarily, or out of laziness, ceded control to women in the Boy Scout realm. That may be part of what happened, and part of the "laziness" is/was probably just "I can't deal with these pushy moms and their snowflakes - I just want to get these kids outdoors and let them figure things out - fuck this," rather than purely selfish apathy. There is also unquestionably an element of pushy/entitled moms nerfing the program because of their own agendas. Boy Scouts was never meant to be for everyone - not for girls, and not for boys who, for whatever reason, were not able or inclined to participate in adverse conditions outdoors and all of the challenges involved.

The truth is that even 30+ years ago, most parents of participants in Boy Scouts were the "drop them off at meetings/campouts and then leave" types that people now think are a new and discouraging phenomenon. It was always a small group of dads who ran the troop and went on trips, and then a broader (but still limited) group who would be merit badge counselors or help with particular things less frequently.  I don't see a big shift there. What I do see is dads today who would have been the involved ones 30+ years ago, but don't want to deal with all the drama that now exists in whatever the organization formerly known as "Boy Scouts" has now become.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:57:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#33]

View All Quotes

Integrating girls & gender neutral renaming is about destroying the org's "male-centric toxicity", not inclusion. Girls Scouts is keeping its name & is still an exclusively girls-only org.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 762xIAN:

Disgusting as every bastion of masculinity to create men has been destroyed.

View Quote

By design, I believe.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:43:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitulu] [#36]
Originally Posted By itchytrigger:
This is old news. They added Citizenship in Society MB to the required list. First requirement:
(a) Research the following terms, and then explain to your merit badge counselor how you feel they relate to the Scout Oath and Scout Law:
Identities
Diversity
Equity
Equality
Inclusion
Discrimination
Ethical Leadership
Upstander

I was a Boy Scout myself and was an adult leader throughout my sons scouting career, from Tiger Cub to Eagle. Fortunately this was just before this MB was added. Scouting America has been with us for several years already, having separate troops for girls. Ultimately it will be coed, at which time it will be all over.
View Quote

Too easy:

Identities- Official documentation used to provode proof of one's identity. Common examples are driver's licenses or passports.
Diversity- Having several different types of a similar thing, like tents.
Equity- Value that is built up over time. The most common example is home equity.
Equality- Giving all Scouts an equal chance to earn merit badges.
Inclusion- Welcoming all Scouts in the Troop and not excluding the ones that you don't like.
Discrimination- Not allowing Scouts to participate in activities based on skin color, race, religion, or creed.
Ethical Leadership- Treating all Scouts equally.
Upstander- Made-up word that I had to Google. It means protecting the weak even if it is not your business and does not directly involve you.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#37]
So tempted to burn my old uniform and sash...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
What a damn shame. There's plenty of of other coed organizations out there, such as Civil Air Patrol, why does BSA need to be? There's real value in segregated clubs for both sexes when developing boys and girls to be men and women. This idea that it should be all blended is bullshit.
View Quote

Considering the people that have pressured the Boy Scouts for years to do this also think there is no difference between males and females, I guess it makes some sense, in a twisted, illogical way.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Inclusion has never been about including more people. Inclusion is about taking something you enjoy from you and mutilating/destroying it.

Those who complain about gatekeeping are the ones whom the gate needs to be kept against.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Joined the BSA in 1971 when I turned age 11.  Troop 18 Holy Family Church in Leominster MA.  Made my Eagle in 1977 a few months before I left for the Army.  Beyond the three standard annual fall and spring council jamborees and the winter Freeze Out, we would go camping with the troop about once a month.  Not sure if our parents ever knew it but usually the oldest one among us on these troop only camp outs was about 14-15 years old.  No adult supervision at all.  It gave me a few bad habits (like smoking) but we learned a lot too.

I'm torn on the changes to the BSA over the years.  I don't mind allowing Girl Only troops. I can't blame them for wanting camping and hiking instead of sewing classes or whatever the GSA does for activities but i'm not so sure about mixed gender troops.  There is value in gender segregation when it comes to training youngsters to be adults.  Mixed groups will change the dynamic considerably.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By itchytrigger:
This is old news. They added Citizenship in Society MB to the required list. First requirement:
(a) Research the following terms, and then explain to your merit badge counselor how you feel they relate to the Scout Oath and Scout Law:
Identities
Diversity
Equity
Equality
Inclusion
Discrimination
Ethical Leadership
Upstander

I was a Boy Scout myself and was an adult leader throughout my sons scouting career, from Tiger Cub to Eagle. Fortunately this was just before this MB was added. Scouting America has been with us for several years already, having separate troops for girls. Ultimately it will be coed, at which time it will be all over.
View Quote

I think we should all welcome conversations with our young men around these terms.  Your boys ARE hearing them, but they are not the definitions you grew up with.  We had a talk about each one and circled back a few times (ex. Can you have equity without discrimination?  Can you have diversity without inclusion?) and gave each boy a rational definition with examples from around our community.  We heard from MANY scouts they had 'never thought about it like that' because they are not stupid and see that the world at large attaches an agenda to these terms that is often inconsistent with the Scout Oath and Law.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By IKnowWatson:

I think we should all welcome conversations with our young men around these terms.  Your boys ARE hearing them, but they are not the definitions you grew up with.  We had a talk about each one and circled back a few times (ex. Can you have equity without discrimination?  Can you have diversity without inclusion?) and gave each boy a rational definition with examples from around our community.  We heard from MANY scouts they had 'never thought about it like that' because they are not stupid and see that the world at large attaches an agenda to these terms that is often inconsistent with the Scout Oath and Law.
View Quote

I understand that there are many ways that one "could" have a conversation about these terms and concepts, that differs quite radically from what I am sure the leftists who wrote the MB requirements intended. But the more fundamental problem is that the MB normalizes these very concepts, it legitimizes their existence and use in the boys' lexicon. There is no "discussion" to be had about the term "equity," for example, beyond "it's a euphemism for Marxism."

In other words, you're trying to adapt to a conversation being directed and steered by leftist interlopers, instead of rejecting it entirely as you should. You're accepting THEIR terms and trying to "work with" them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#43]

I understand that there are many ways that one "could" have a conversation about these terms and concepts, that differs quite radically from what I am sure the leftists who wrote the MB requirements intended. But the more fundamental problem is that the MB normalizes these very concepts, it legitimizes their existence and use in the boys' lexicon. There is no "discussion" to be had about the term "equity," for example, beyond "it's a euphemism for Marxism."

In other words, you're trying to adapt to a conversation being directed and steered by leftist interlopers, instead of rejecting it entirely as you should. You're accepting THEIR terms and trying to "work with" them.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#44]
My club sponsors a Scout Troop.   We also host a Scout Week that is attended by about 300 kids.   We also help with Eagle Scout projects.  These kids, all boys as far as I know, love doing Scout stuff on our property.   Especially shooting .22’s.  I know the leaders and they won’t buy in to the woke shit.   I anticipate that we will continue to sponsor them.  They are still the Scouts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I’m an Eagle Scout, along with many other people in my family. I sent them a nasty email (that they deserved). I told them a bunch of young girls are going to get raped and they are complicit in that because they care more about looking tolerant.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
I was in the Cub scouts when I was of that age...('70's)  
I never made it to the actual 'big-boy' scouts

Looking back, it seemed to me that my experience was just an 'after school program'.. Den moms just taking turns trying to do something interesting,
but not actually teaching anything.  Pinewood derby is about the best thing I remember from that time.  My daughter has the car
my dad and I made.  The only other thing I can remember us doing, is stripping insulation off of Romex to recycle the copper.
I want to say that I remember going to a Jamboree in town one summer... but I don't recall ever participating in any way.(?)

Over the years, I ended up doing more things outdoors with my dad, than anything the BSA organization 'taught me'.  

I didn't grow up with any dislike for the BSA, until that gehy pack leader (~) crap started happening not too long ago(?), and now tossing DEI into the mix?  

It's all just another attack on the core values that previously made this country great.

View Quote
It is/was very troop dependent, and also there were major differences in how Cub was run from Boy Scouts.

In a properly run Boy Scout troop, the youth leadership structure was responsible for most of the goings on at a meeting or camp out. The adults were just there to instruct and coach, not actually lead the event.

When we went on camp outs as a troop, the adults always made a different campsite well removed from the boys.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Not really.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#50]
One less donation to make.  Go woke, go broke.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top