Originally Posted By FALARAK:

No, they don't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Originally Posted By Zak406:
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
A million dollar net worth isn't much really.  I'll need 2.5M in a retirement account to feel comfortable retiring.

This is a load of shit.  10 percent of Americans retire with a million dollars or more.  The remaining 90 percent also retire.  

No, they don't.

Of course they do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

Well you opened up by taking a big dump on w2 folks.

What if we all have different paths to success?
View Quote

THE CLASS WARFARE MUST FLOW
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Forgot to add- wife is a teacher who gets a half pension (as compared to the older ones) of 1% per year.  But she puts 15% away into an account that comprises the other portion of her retirement plan, they have the option to contribute 5,10, or 15%.  She should have a million in there most likely by the time she retires.  

Sounds good and all, but the older plans were better with the full 2% pension method, even though they had to contribute like 6-8% into the plan.  You could contribute into a deferred comp account to meet that 15% total like my wife does, and have a good pension plus a decent investment account with those older plans.  And take home more than she will get as a result.  

And actually, new teachers are being put back into the 2% plan unless they opt for the 1% one.  Probably too many complaints about the other one being the default for a while.

So yeah, teachers can easily end up millionaires in plenty of places.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]

1945 to 2008 is pretty cherry picked dude. In fact it's about as cherry picked as you can get.

View Quote

You mean the year some of the oldest millennials had started going into the professional work force and also the year the oldest b**mahs started retiring and also the year of the reverse bank robbery?

Huh, weird.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:
Dave Ramsey is a fucking idiot?

Teacher?  Around here they make like 40k lol.
View Quote

Around here they can make well into 6 figures, and the present value of their pension alone is well over $1 million.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By n20junkie:

Yes, saving and worrying constantly about retirement when your body is healthy and life demands is low is absolutely.

We all should ensure that when we’re 75 and riddled with cancer that we have plenty of money to piss away in nursing homes and random new car purchases (that we can’t drive).
View Quote

"What, me worry?"
Alfred E. Neumann

The amount I worry about $ cannot be measured by any known device.   I do, however, want to leave a legacy for my family.  That requires planning, not worry.

You know those movies where the patriarch's portrait hangs above the massive fireplace, and people speak about him in reverent tones?  That's the guy I want to be.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CVO:
According to ARFCOM, its the guys that replace HVAC capacitors.
View Quote

Funny you say that!  That's just my game.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

Around here they can make well into 6 figures, and the present value of their pension alone is well over $1 million.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:
Dave Ramsey is a fucking idiot?

Teacher?  Around here they make like 40k lol.

Tell me about the area. What's the average cost of a 2 br, 1 bth house?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:

But that sweet, sweet taxpayer funded pension...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kingstrider:
Lol teacher what is that guy smoking?  Most teachers I know don't make squat.

When you calculate what it would cost to buy an annuity that pays out as much as those pensions...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I mean, the teachers on HGTV looking for a house always have a $2.7 million budget. So not GD level of being a well off millionaire.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]
My high school history teacher is ironically the one that pushed a frugal mindset to his students if they wanted to retire millionaires. Dude was a stud.

Little did he know I could sell snack bag sized Ziplocks full of dried scalp residue on the dark web via an Onion browser to get there faster

Sucker.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By C-ham:

I mean, the teachers on HGTV looking for a house always have a $2.7 million budget. So not GD level of being a well off millionaire.
View Quote

Some teachers have OnlyFans accounts.  Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#13]

1945 to 2008 is pretty cherry picked dude. In fact it's about as cherry picked as you can get.

View Quote

It’s dang near a lifetime to a whole generation…
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:

When you calculate what it would cost to buy an annuity that pays out as much as those pensions...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:

A $40k pension is equal to million dollars invested in the market
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Are they frugal though? What's their retirement accounts look like?

I think that's more what he's getting at. Most people don't have an earring problem, they have a spending problem.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Well you opened up by taking a big dump on w2 folks.

What if we all have different paths to success?
View Quote

Nah man. If you want having kids to not be a profoundly stupid and irresponsible thing to do, you want ownership money. 1099 only. W2? Get in the pod, wagie.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotAr15] [#17]
To be fair "having a shot" at something is a pretty vague statement.

If I were to buy a lotto ticket, I technically have a "shot"... even if the odds are very very very poor.

As a wise man once said... "So you're telling me there's a chance!"
That being said, if you're making an OK wage... and are contributing to a 401K from the moment you start working... becoming a Millionaire isn't that far from being attainable.
Dave Ramsey, if I'm not mistaken, does include your home's value as counting towards "being a millionaire".
So if your home is $500k, and you have $500K in savings... you're a millionaire based on things I've heard him say before.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

You mean the year some of the oldest millennials had started going into the professional work force and also the year the oldest b**mahs started retiring and also the year of the reverse bank robbery?

Huh, weird.
View All Quotes

Huh, weird.

Worse its close to the highest peaked in a 10 year period in 1945 and and the lowest trough in a 30 year period towards the end.

Without even touching on the fact that the DJI is the worst way to measure stock performance because the only factor that goes in is the price of the stock not its market cap.  

Oh but you know what DOES have a high number that shrinks?

The S&P 500's 25 year annual return starting in 1994.

You have double digit TWENTY FIVE YEAR returns from 10.98% to as 17.25% but in 2008 it drops to..... the single digits.

Your highest 25 year return is 10.54% in 2009 which is LOWER than the previous worst 25 year period.

Your NEW lowest 25 year return is a paltry 7.56% in 2023.

So basically since 2008 the market has been super anemic and the WORST 25 year period before 2008 was still high than the BEST 25 year period after 2008.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I never cared too much for Ramsey's radio show.  The callers are people who are making a shit ton of money, but they are spending more than they are saving.  A couple making $125k a piece can save alot of money if they stop buying two new Corvettes each year and $10 million house boats.

It's no secret that you can save money if you're not spending it all like a drunken idiot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RedAngus:

View Quote

I get that.

I'm just saying you picked one of the biggest outliers to illustrate a point that doesn't represent a median or mean.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Nah man. If you want having kids to not be a profoundly stupid and irresponsible thing to do, you want ownership money. 1099 only. W2? Get in the pod, wagie.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
I never cared too much for Ramsey's radio show.  The callers are people who are making a shit ton of money, but they are spending more than they are saving.  A couple making $125k a piece can save alot of money if they stop buying two new Corvettes each year and $10 million house boats.

It's no secret that you can save money if you're not spending it all like a drunken idiot.
View Quote

Yeah half his callers are people that must have some sort of impulse control disorder, and the other half are just calling to get noticed for not being intellectually disabled. It's kinda funny but the same gag over and over.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:12:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoconutLaCroix] [#23]
If the Fed capitulates to the pussies on Wall Street and in the govt who desperately want rate cuts, then we can all be millionaires in a few years
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Considering all the 20-somethings I see driving $100k+ brodozers, I figure there are a LOT of drunken idiots out there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#25]
millionaire is a dated concept

in order for it to be relevant in current times
imo
you have to calculate net worth
without including ones residence or retirement accounts

you remove those 2 items and have a net worth over a million

thats the equivalent of being a millionaire in the 80's through late 90's
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Reading this thread got me all like

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#27]
He’s not wrong.

Pretty much anyone can succeed in America. A huge number of people choose to spend hundreds a week on shit food, vapes, drugs, subscriptions, car loans and credit cards.

Then whine about how it’s FJB’s fault.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

Cops/Firefighters would probably make the list if it wasn’t for all the ex wives.
View Quote

I’m keeping my first wife and retiring in august at age 44 as a LEO.

I’m planning on trying to have a million bucks saved by the age of 60(in addition to my pension for life)
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

In the book, "How to be a Millionaire" they also state teachers are at the top of the list of people who become millionaires.  Theory is when they first start out they have to learn to save to make ends meet.  They keep that mentality and are frugal they entire career.  Combine with retirement plans and working 30+ years they can be millionaires.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Teachers in CA, IL, NY, RI etc make coin.  And lots of it.  And you can't blow them out of the job with a stick of dynamite no matter how bad they are.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
My high school history teacher is ironically the one that pushed a frugal mindset to his students if they wanted to retire millionaires. Dude was a stud.

Little did he know I could sell snack bag sized Ziplocks full of dried scalp residue on the dark web via an Onion browser to get there faster

Sucker.
View Quote

several of my HS teachers were extremely frugal, worked other gigs in the summer and were on par with most upper middle class of the time in SE OK.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:

I don't usually listen to him, but caught the interview because he was on Theo Von.  Their millionaire number is including a house and retirement accounts.  He did say he was surprised to see them make the top 5.  His conclusion was the top 5 are all systems oriented and/or have good retirement benefits.  I don't really have an opinion myself, just relaying what he said for context.
View Quote

Of course.  If a teacher makes $80,000 final.  Retires at 50.  And gets 75% of that for life.  With contractual 3% min COL increases/annual.  '

That retirement is worth well over a million.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Depends where you live. In a lot of the country houses that are not within earshot of gunfire every night are $500k.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Millionaire is quite a large category.  Big difference between the millionaire next door who counts $500K of their home equity and $500k in retirement as being a millionaire versus someone with $250M in assets with a few hundred grand liquid and tens of millions in real estate, etc.  Neither are billionaires, but one does have seven cars and all the other luxury stuff he mentioned.

$1M ain’t what it used to be, which is why so many people have it now days.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll give him this; Dave Ramsey has a better chance at showing somebody how to cover their rent than Sean Hannity and Ben Shapiro do at fixing anything they talk about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Reading this thread got me all like

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219476/1000008279-3207591.jpg
View Quote

These threads are fun opportunities to clap back at the condescension of b**mahs.

I embrace the struggle. I've seen what is produced by living in the good times cradle to retirement home. It's way more embarrassing than what is produced by growing up in the good times...and looking like a fucking idiot when the music stops. You look stupid bevause you don't know what to do, and everyone who could give you useful advice from experience has been dead for about 40 years. Well, that's okay, they figured it out, so can we.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#37]

I get that.

I'm just saying you picked one of the biggest outliers to illustrate a point that doesn't represent a median or mean.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RedAngus:

I get that.

Let me put it this way, then.  I picked nearly the entire working life of a “Boomer”.

Would you rather have invested in a time when your money could have quadrupled in 16 years (‘08-‘24, 9-10,000 to 39,000 DJIA) or when it could have quadrupled in your entire lifetime, 60 years (‘45-‘08, 2,500 to 8-10,000)?  

I picked this time period mostly to illustrate the fact that the greatest inflationary period of the stock market didn’t favor Boomers during their working lifetimes, but later generations.  Also, I always hear about Boomers “getting lucky” by buying cheap RE which has inflated in the past 10 years, but everyone who invested in the stock market in that same period is a genius and earned their increases, while in reality both the RE and equity market inflation/ ‘earnings’ are simply a reflection of the devaluation of the dollar.  

I’m not shitting on anybody, or cherry picking anything.  Just trying to show that everyone thinks they are a damn genius investor, but are actually just being carried along by the same rising tide sinking ship of $ devaluation.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By xciapup:

Of course.  If a teacher makes $80,000 final.  Retires at 50.  And gets 75% of that for life.  With contractual 3% min COL increases/annual.  '

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jarcese:

I don't usually listen to him, but caught the interview because he was on Theo Von.  Their millionaire number is including a house and retirement accounts.  He did say he was surprised to see them make the top 5.  His conclusion was the top 5 are all systems oriented and/or have good retirement benefits.  I don't really have an opinion myself, just relaying what he said for context.

The health insurance alone, for life, is worth about 1 mill in todays dollars.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Teachers in CA, IL, NY, RI etc make coin.  And lots of it.  And you can't blow them out of the job with a stick of dynamite no matter how bad they are.
View Quote

They also have a tendency to work as many years as possible for some reason like it's thier identity.

Not so much the the minute I can fuck this company! Mindset of manufacturing employees.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Could it be that doctors take longer to become millionaires because they have to go to school for ~10 years and rack up large debt?  

They start earning later and need to devote more of their income to paying off their school debt.  They lose out on ~6 of the earliest/most impactful years of contributing to a retirement account.  That's followed by several more years of making the equivalent of an extra house payment to service the school debt.  That's money that can't go to retirement savings.  

Just a theory.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

As the husband of a mid career teacher and the son of a retired teacher, this is 100% correct.

As a banker, I see the only professions worse with money and credit than teachers are preachers and policemen.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

It is a very decent sweet employee funded pension.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ONETIMER:
Guys full of shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:49:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Averagebear] [#44]
View Quote

My mom was a teacher and was a millionaire when she died.  She grew up in absolute poverty. She saved aluminum foil and re-used baggies. She sewed her own clothes. She ate in every meal and canned her own vegetables well into her 60’s. She probably saved 25-30% of every paycheck. She also traveled to every continent except Antarctica.

It can be done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:51:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Macumazahn] [#45]
Some doctors should be on there, maybe specialists, and maybe if other docs really crank down. However, high student loans and interest rates really take a toll early on.  Probably best to become a PA or NP and start saving early.  Also work for the state and get in on the retirement system.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DCPhoenix:
He’s not wrong.

Pretty much anyone can succeed in America. A huge number of people choose to spend hundreds a week on shit food, vapes, drugs, subscriptions, car loans and credit cards.

Then whine about how it’s FJB’s fault.
View Quote

Not only that, but some cultures use family to create generational wealth.  I'm talking about Indians (dot not feather), Asians, etc.  Multiple generations living under one roof, lending each other money to create businesses instead of using banks, etc.  And then they get "lucky" (Voila!) after a couple generations and are multi-millionaires, when luck had nothing to do with it.

Americans have been weaned on Rugged IndividualismTM.  That's all well and good, but it's not the best way to make $.  I'm creating generational wealth, hopefully.  With a little luck, that is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BD77:
Could it be that doctors take longer to become millionaires because they have to go to school for ~10 years and rack up large debt?  

They start earning later and need to devote more of their income to paying off their school debt.  They lose out on ~6 of the earliest/most impactful years of contributing to a retirement account.  That's followed by several more years of making the equivalent of an extra house payment to service the school debt.  That's money that can't go to retirement savings.  

Just a theory.
View Quote

It’s because Doctors like to spend $1.10 for every $1.00 they make.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:

They also have a tendency to work as many years as possible for some reason like it's thier identity.

Not so much the the minute I can fuck this company! Mindset of manufacturing employees.
View Quote

Most teachers get into it because they like it. Whether or not that passion remains has a lot to do with the district. I have a friend who legitimately teaches only because he wants to. Loves the kids, loves the work, and works at a charter school that doesn't pay shit but there is very little administrative involvement. Pretty much just let him teach and make sure all the legal requirements are met.

Plus having having Christmas, spring, and summer breaks doesn't hurt.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I'm an educator.  I did go into administration, but I saved and invested and avoided debt.  EXACTLY what Dave Ramsey described.  I've got over 1 million in assets and about $20k in debt for a used truck.  I've got about 9 or 10 years left to work, so I expect to wind up with just under $2 million when I retire.  My wife did not work, either.

I inherited a whopping $25k from my Mom and Dad.  But what I really got from my Dad was an education on how to save and invest.  He told me with every pay check, 10% to the church, 10% to savings/investment, and live off the rest.  He said I would wind up a millionaire and a philanthropist by the time I am 65.   I'd say the old man knew his shit.  We never had to pay for any of his/mom's bills.  And they paid for our college (4 kids) fully.  So we did not start out with college debt.

Anyway, I fit right into his profiling.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By deanwormer:
Boomers lived through a mostly bull stock market and had cheap houses that are now worth a ton.  Any of them that aren’t >$1M net worth are massive financial losers.
View Quote

Yep, we have two homes, I sometimes have trouble wrapping my head around how much they are worth now
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top