Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah about right. I just got 4 for my raptor a little bigger.

Maybe ~5-8% higher. But that could be a regional / shipping / tax thing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JAR0023:

Why?  If OP’s work, let them work.  My last truck went ten years and over 180k miles in the original sensors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JAR0023:
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
If your rig has TPMS, make sure you change the sensors.  That adds another $200+.

Why?  If OP’s work, let them work.  My last truck went ten years and over 180k miles in the original sensors.

My 2007 F150 with 190k manufactured in March 2007 still has the originals.  They are 17 years old.  But they are early designs (TPMS was enforced in 2007), banded to the wheel, not a valve stem mounted like all the newer ones are.

The ones on our 2011 Honda Pilot started dying in 2019, so I replaced them all at the next tire change.

It is wise to proactively replace them all on the next tire change as soon as one dies, or if the vehicle is 7 years old, IMHO.  $200 every 7 years is not a tall order, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Get some wild peaks if you're wanting an all terrain, or stt pros if you're wanting to play in the snow.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

You change them every tire change? That's like pissing away money every 20k miles.
View Quote

I don't drive 50k miles per year on a single vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

You change them every tire change? That's like pissing away money every 20k miles.

Either way, they last for years, why change them yearly or even every other year? Change them when they stop working.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By WDEagle:
$1221 all inclusive (including tax) @ Discount tire.

$1102 including tax @ Tire Rack.  Mounting/balancing/etc. cost additional.

Dealers price looks OK.

That being said ... in my location, I would go to Discount Tire instead of using my local dealership. Local dealership is hit or miss on quality of work. That plus DT will not try to up sale you air filter & wipers.
View Quote

DT will try and sell you tire replacement certificates though.

I will give them credit though, I had one bad experience with DT and got a call back about it on a Sunday and the manager gave me $100 to fix the situation.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
ko2s suck.  no fo
View Quote

Yes o2’s are shitty tires.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By splitbolt:
I replaced BFG KO2s LTs with MT Baja Boss SLs...much happier.
I'm surprised KO2s are still around; I thought they had been superceded by KO3s.

What vehicle?
View Quote

Mickey Thompson tires have always been my favorite.  I need to check out some of their newer offerings.  For a long time their tires just weren't smart to run on something that spent the majority of time on road.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I would use Discount tire simply because of their service. I've bough a lot of tires from them they will rotate, balance, repair without any questions asked. I've never had a complaint with them nor has anyone i know.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

My 2007 F150 with 190k manufactured in March 2007 still has the originals.  They are 17 years old.  But they are early designs (TPMS was enforced in 2007), banded to the wheel, not a valve stem mounted like all the newer ones are.

The ones on our 2011 Honda Pilot started dying in 2019, so I replaced them all at the next tire change.

It is wise to proactively replace them all on the next tire change as soon as one dies, or if the vehicle is 7 years old, IMHO.  $200 every 7 years is not a tall order, IMHO.
View Quote

I've had them go bad after 3-4 years, which is about the same amount of time it takes me to need new tires.  I have multiple vehicles, so my driving gets spread across those vehicles.  No vehicle gets more than about 15k/year.

Some people never change the sensors, they just run around with the dash light on all the time.  I want the TPMS system to work, so I change the sensors periodically.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Geolander has been my favorite tire aside from Michellin lately. Didn’t put a bunch of miles on them though.

You do have a second set of tires mounted and ready, right?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Kolat:
Get some wild peaks if you're wanting an all terrain, or stt pros if you're wanting to play in the snow.
View Quote

I'll likely be putting D rated Wildpeaks on for my next tires.

I have 22k and 3 years on Pirelli Scorpion AT+.  They look like they will be cooked before they hit 40k, but that will be right at the 6 year mark and I'd replace them for age anyway.

The Pirelli's replaced Cooper Discoverer ATP's which only got 37k after 5 years.  I could have pushed them to 45k but that would have been it.  They were getting close to the tread limit and we were about to start pulling a camper, so I elected to replace them a year early.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Either way, they last for years, why change them yearly or even every other year? Change them when they stop working.
View Quote

If you change them when they stop working, then it costs for dismounting, the sensor, mounting, and re-balancing.  You do you.

I prefer preventive maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I paid about the same for mine and I had the buddy discount from the tire store owner, I have been happy with them on my f250, you might check the k03 they seem to be out in limited sizes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BenCO:
I would use Discount tire simply because of their service. I've bough a lot of tires from them they will rotate, balance, repair without any questions asked. I've never had a complaint with them nor has anyone i know.
View Quote

I also use Discount.  They have good service in my AO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:
Geolander has been my favorite tire aside from Michellin lately. Didn’t put a bunch of miles on them though.

View Quote

No, but I have a second truck just in case I need new tires in an emergency
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BenCO:

Never had an issue with the dealership on tires or repairs on them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:51:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PabloMcGlock] [#18]
Just got quoted for the same in my area at discount tire $1270.09
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#19]

If you change them when they stop working, then it costs for dismounting, the sensor, mounting, and re-balancing.  You do you.

View All Quotes

Or. They stop working, and you need tires soon anyway, so just live without them for a few months. It's not really a required item to operate your vehicle.

Just seems silly to replace parts that don't affect function in any way just because they might go bad, but probably won't.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#20]

I've had them go bad after 3-4 years, which is about the same amount of time it takes me to need new tires.  I have multiple vehicles, so my driving gets spread across those vehicles.  No vehicle gets more than about 15k/year.

Some people never change the sensors, they just run around with the dash light on all the time.  I want the TPMS system to work, so I change the sensors periodically.
View All Quotes

I'm so cheap, and I didnt want some crappy generic store brand, so I purchased OEM denso's for really cheap from Rock Auto, and got Costco to install them for me.

The manager came out when I picked the vehicle up and bitched at me and his employee, saying they do not install customer provided equipment and his tech should not have accepted them.  The manager was a real dick about, telling me never to do that again.  I told him no problem, if this is how they speak to customers it will be that last time I ever buy tires at Costco.

Costco has lost a customer.

Have Ron call me.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:

Never had an issue with the dealership on tires or repairs on them.
View Quote

Compare price apples vs. apples.  If the dealership is less, go with them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:53:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: splitbolt] [#22]

View Quote

Are you worried about battery life or corrosion?
Most TPMS can be scanned for battery life. Just saying...

My '16 Tacoma is going 9 years on OE sensors.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Or. They stop working, and you need tires soon anyway, so just live without them for a few months. It's not really a required item to operate your vehicle.

Just seems silly to replace parts that don't affect function in any way just because they might go bad, but probably won't.
View Quote

Let's say they stop working and the tires have 15k miles on them.  You gonna go another 35k before replacing the sensors?  You do you.

Ask me how I know about this.  I also have spouse/offspring who drive the vehicles, I want the TPMS system to work for them, too.

I'm frugal, but not that frugal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#24]

I'm so cheap, and I didnt want some crappy generic store brand, so I purchased OEM denso's for really cheap from Rock Auto, and got Costco to install them for me.

The manager came out when I picked the vehicle up and bitched at me and his employee, saying they do not install customer provided equipment and his tech should not have accepted them.  The manager was a real dick about, telling me never to do that again.  I told him no problem, if this is how they speak to customers it will be that last time I ever buy tires at Costco.

Costco has lost a customer.

Have Ron call me.

View Quote

Huh.  I didn't know Costco did this.  They wanted to make more $ from your purchase, probably.  Thank you for the warning.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Congrats.  Dumbest post of the day.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:

And your rims, if your rig has rims change your rims also. Your now looking at another $2000+

Congrats.  Dumbest post of the day.

Shit no man, you are right change the tpms. Although, I've always found it to be financially responsible not replacing items that are operational. But please, keep giving shitty advice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:

View Quote

Been through at least 8 or 10 brands Including BFG, Cooper, Uniroyal, Michelin, General, Goodyear and Pirelli, but Yoko all the things truck tire related wherever possible, now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Doesn't seem too bad. I paid $1900 for 295-70-20.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Depends on the state.  Here in Texas it is not.  However, in HI,RI, VT, and WV the TPMS will fail you on an annual vehicle inspection.  But generally, I agree, I wont change them all until one fails, and then will change them on my next tire change.  If my state inspection required it, I'd change them out with every tire change.  I think this decision really falls on how much you are inclined to do preventative maintenance, and how often you get tires replaced.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Shit no man, you are right change the tpms. Although, I've always found it to be financially responsible not replacing items that are operational. But please, keep giving shitty advice.
View Quote

Everything is operstional until it isn't.

I'm also not a cheap bastard, so there's that.

Did you know I replace oil & filter BEFORE the dash monitor says to do it?  True story, mang.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By WDEagle:

No, just people who know what the fuck they are doing.  They back their work and the products they sell.

I wanted to replace my 7 year old tires on my Chevy Colorado as I was going to make several long trips soon.  I liked the OEM tires so I ordered the same make & model from DT.  I showed up and they mounted them in less than an hour.  I left the tire store and went home.  Holy hell were they loud.  I kept them a week and went back to DT.  I told them that I was not happy with them and started explaining why.  They stopped me and said "You are not happy with them and that's all we need to know. " I chose a different brand of tire and they swapped them with no cost.  Been happy ever since.
View Quote

Out of all the shit I buy in my life I wish I had to buy tires more because Discount Tire’s service is so good. They absolutely take care of folks
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#31]
4 Michelin LTXs on my F250 just cost me $1700 OTD

Expensive but my professional experience has taught me to only buy Michelin.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Depends on the state.  Here in Texas it is not.  However, in HI,RI, VT, and WV the TPMS will fail you on an annual vehicle inspection.  But generally, I agree, I wont change them all until one fails, and then will change them on my next tire change.  If my state inspection required it, I'd change them out with every tire change.  I think this decision really falls on how much you are inclined to do preventative maintenance, and how often you get tires replaced.
View Quote

All true.  Typically, for me, my vehicles get new tires every 4-5 years.  That's because my driving is split among 4 vehicles.  If I got new tires every year, I wouldn't change them out each time.

Even when they are sitting, the TPMS batteries aren't just sitting.  They are slowly going bad.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:07:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#33]
Wait of the KO3 in your size. The KO2 is an old design.

BFG is slow rolling the ever loving fuck out of KO3 tire sizes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
Wait of the KO3 in your size. The KO2 is an old design.

BFG is slow rolling the ever loving fuck out of KO3 tire sizes.
View Quote

Absolutely correct.
I ran BFG's on my trucks for years until they fell so far behind in the offroad tire development race. They got complacent on design and leaned on the name for years and got passed by marginal tire companies. Now they are once again dicking around with they KO3 release.
All that being said OP, if you are street driving(occasional dirt road) , want a decent looking tire, don't live in the snowbelt or a rainy climate, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#35]
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BFGoodrich-All-Terrain-T-A-KO2-All-Season-LT265-75R16-E-123-120R-Tire/42313449

Basically you are buying the tires through them and paying about 50 bucks per tire for mounting and balance, assuming they are making zero margin on the tires. If they make some margin on the tires the labor fee is less, but that doesn't matter, it's the same for you either way.

Does this include disposal of old tires? That's about 10 to 15 bucks generally.

Seems fine to me unless you can do it yourself and have the equipment.

Now if you would get CC points for ordering the tires yourself, maybe ask of you can supply the tires and just subtract their cost from the dealers total. But, that's more work for you.

Overall I'd say it's a a decent deal/standard. I don't think shopping around is worth your time for this.

FWIW Cooper seems to make a good truck/all terrain tire.

I am on my second set of Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires (the Trail is more mild than the full A/T version) but peope generally like the Wildpeaks as well, either Trail or regular A/T version. I find the Trail to be a good happy medium for a mostly on road small 4WD SUV.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:

Word.  They are junk in every measurable way.
View Quote

Shit tires. Toyo Open Country
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

I don't either.  I think it's just "popular" to shit on them.  I have close to 5000 miles on mine and zero complaints thus far.
View Quote

LOL wait until you replace them at 20K
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I've got a full size spare so I have to add a few hundred more to replace them all.  

And, at almost 60k miles I am nearing the time to do it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#40]

And your rims, if your rig has rims change your rims also. Your now looking at another $2000+
View All Quotes
If your rig has TPMS, make sure you change the sensors.  That adds another $200+.

Idk why, and I'm sorry, but it's hard to take people seriously who use the term "Rims". However, it works out because I don't think this post was made to be taken seriously.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine won’t balance…
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#42]
They are being replaced by the KO3. So I’d compare to those or look for close out sale pricing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Never again. Major premature wear on mine. I would have rather put the $1000 on black at a casino.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Boisestatefan:
Costco
1009+tax
View Quote

I’ll never take my vehicle there again… pieces of shit gouged the fuck out of my wheels by using a screwdiver to remove the adhesive weights.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Discount Tires offers a 10% discount to veterans.   Makes their deal pretty good.  Last time I bought a set of tires that is where I went.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#46]
If you are going to replace your TPMS, buy them on eBay. I bought a new truck that has the Trailer TPMS.  The official GM sensors for trailers is $150 for 2 of them. I bought 4 sensors from EBay for $55 delivered.  They look and perform exactly like the GM ones. Look up the OEM’s part number and do an online search for the corresponding model online. Had them installed at a tire change out and they worked great. I had to buy the pairing tool for $10. Discount wanted $60 each for them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Get 5 so you have a full size matching spare.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
I have bought many sets of tires and never changed the TPMS sensors.  Only swap to new wheels.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Palm:
If you are going to replace your TPMS, buy them on eBay. I bought a new truck that has the Trailer TPMS.  The official GM sensors for trailers is $150 for 2 of them. I bought 4 sensors from EBay for $55 delivered.  They look and perform exactly like the GM ones. Look up the OEM’s part number and do an online search for the corresponding model online. Had them installed at a tire change out and they worked great. I had to buy the pairing tool for $10. Discount wanted $60 each for them.
View Quote

See the post above about Costco.  Apparently they don't like to install customer-supplied sensors.

$55/4 is a great price.  I think I paid $50 each at Discount, installed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Efl15:
Get 5 so you have a full size matching spare.
View Quote

Why? Just use the spare you have to drive to the tire shop. That's what it's there for.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top