BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Last trip I did was in 2019. The only thing I did was nosedive my Taco off a jump for the dirt track event damaging a control arm.

My truck at 2019 Jambo
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523928/wheeling_in_the_mud_2_jpg-3208337.JPG
View Quote

I know better than to stay away from the timed event lol
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:55:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sunnybean] [#2]
It’s the best vehicle I’ve owned.

Attachment Attached File

Undercarriage has a lot of rust but I did drive it at max speed on the Bonneville salt flats after a rain.

If you have any passengers that will routinely use the back seat then get a 4Runner.

No issues with the common complaint of limited rearview. But, mine has a camera. Without a camera I can see how that would be a complaint.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sunnybean:
It's the best vehicle I've owned.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/96670/IMG_4661_jpeg-3208346.JPG

Undercarriage has a lot of rust but I did drive it at max speed on the Bonneville salt flats after a rain.

If you have any passengers that will routinely use the back seat then get a 4Runner.

No issues with the common complaint of limited rearview. Bit, mine has a camera. Without a camera I can see how that would be a complaint.
View Quote
what does the FJC top out at?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Monkey_Wrench:

I know better than to stay away from the timed event lol
View Quote

That year a guy with an LS-swapped FJ like yours caught a lifetime ban wheeling after hours drunk with open headers.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

That year a guy with an LS-swapped FJ like yours caught a lifetime ban wheeling after hours drunk with open headers.
View Quote

I know who you're talking about.
That guy was something else
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Still like my '11 with ~120k, only issue it's had in the 6 years I've had it was a dead starter.
Other than that it's been solid.
Fuel mileage isn't the best, but ethanol free, a new PCV valve and a new MAF sensor do make a noticeable difference.
I've got 2 kids, 6 and 3, and they still fit back there just fine.
4 runners are everywhere...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I forgot that the windshields crack all the time. I did ~3 in the 6 years I owned mine. Otherwise it only needed wear parts and I sold it for damn near what I paid, so cost of ownership was low.

I also DIY Raptor Lined the whole damn thing https://imgur.com/gallery/MAZTV

https://imgur.com/gallery/lfRcp

It's probably still out running around. Honestly turned me into a Toyota/Lexus believer. I upgraded to a gx460 because of young kids and car seats in an FJ are terrible, as are the rear suicide doors with a baby carrier. But now that My kids are old enough to buckle themselves in, it would be no problem.

I even had a rear rack across the cargo area with mounted gear so my rearview mirror was basically for show at that point.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Let’s class this up a little

" />
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven’t looked at the prices of these. I rarely see them around in my area so I didn’t figure them to be that popular here.

Holy shit the prices and holy shit at the miles these things have.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HighLighter:
I’m thinking about buying a FJ. Used of course because they don’t make them anymore. Are there any common issues to watch out for? I’ve heard of the front fender “buldge” and I’m leary of raised and obvious off-road use.

The lowest mileage under $20K I’ve found is around 100K.
View Quote

Three wiper blades (price them) and a curved front window.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:53:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoRdErBaCoN] [#11]
2010 here.  Love mine.  240k on it.  I use it.  

I've pulled a ton of vehicles out of the snowbank with it over the years - pulled an 18 wheeler once.

One big job that sucked to do - is the lower control arms.  So the caster bolts seize - and when they do - you can't get an alignment.  They are a whore to cut out - if you do it yourself - get carbide blades and use a new blade on each set.  8 cuts total.

It took like 4 hours of cutting and frigging.

Transmission is "sealed" - but you can add fluid, do a flush, etc.  So heads up on that.  No dipstick for easy checking.  It's checked from an overflow hole after getting it up to a certain temp.

Put it in 4-lo from time to time - it's a self-lubricating system - if you don't use it - it will stop engaging.  

I won't be swapping to anything else anytime soon.

So far I've replaced an alternator and belt (210k miles or so), the front wheel bearing assemblies (200k miles), lower control arms (although the ball joints were still good - 230k miles) - a couple of windshields - brakes/tires and fluids on the regular.  I just did the transmission lines and I need a new skidplate. That's it in 240k miles.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Pulls 18 Wheeler out of ditch

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#12]
07 6MT with 190k on the clock.  
I love mine.
Horrible mileage but that's not why we own these things.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bnz42:
This is the one that I wish Toyota would bring back, the 40 Series.

https://i.imgur.com/Q3GaKlml.jpg
View Quote

exactly
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
Originally Posted By sunnybean:
It's the best vehicle I've owned.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/96670/IMG_4661_jpeg-3208346.JPG

No issues with the common complaint of limited rearview. Bit, mine has a camera. Without a camera I can see how that would be a complaint.

Electronically limited to 107.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#15]
We have a 2013 4-runner, 2007 4-runner and 2008 FJ in the family. They are essentially the same exact frame and drive terrain.

These have all been bulletproof with a few small exceptions. Radiators last 100,000 or so miles. the early FJ's had a weak spot on on top the heads that develop head gasket leaks The fix is for an updated head gasket. I would imagine all of these have been repaired by now unless it is a very low mile example.

Replace fluids and gas it up. They really don't need much.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:36:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#16]
Carfax.  Rust?

My local AZ Toyota dealer has a stack of frames out in back of their service bays.  The rust thing is not just a rumor.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:48:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoRdErBaCoN] [#17]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Carfax.  Rust?

My local AZ Toyota dealer has a stack of frames out in back of their service bays.  The rust thing is not just a rumor.
View Quote

I'm in Maine - My frame is good.  

No frames are good up here.  

It's just starting to turn brown around the welds and such.  I'm actually doing a New Hampshire oil treatment this Friday.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Had one as a daily driver from 2008 to 2015.  Had about a 120k when I moved on.

Downsides:  back seat basically useless.  Space behind the back seat not as big as you might think.  Mileage was high teens, once a year I could crack 20.  Mine required premium, the later ones didn't and I quite running premium fairly early.  It did not like ethanol.  Visibility to the rear is crap; you will learn to use your mirrors.  Mine had the roof rack.  Wind noise was horrible, like drown out the radio at highway speeds.  Service, needed plugs every 30,000 miles and not just any plugs.  The expensive ones.  The alloy wheels were a tad porous, I was constantly fighting air pressure issues.  Last model year was 2016 (I think) so even the newest ones are getting up there.  Some had rust issues, mine didn't.  It's a bigger vehicle than you might think, it was a tight fit in the garage and you needed to pay attention to where you parked it.  

The good:  mechanically a tank.  I never had to repair anything.  Would go anywhere in any weather.  I drove the FJ for seven years and I think my total depreciation was maybe 10%.  The things hold value ridiculously.  Reasonably comfortable to drive, by truck standards.  It sticks out, I could always find it in the parking lot.

All in all, I liked it but it wasn't the most practical thing.  I don't miss it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Back seat is tiny and horribly uncomfortable.  Visibility sucks.
Vertical windshield in rain sucks.
Under powered.
Shit fuel economy.

Better of with a 4runner.

Other than that...ehhh
View Quote

The 4 runner isn't available with a manual transmission. Underpowered vehicles are painfully boring to drive when paired with an antiquated slushbox.

I've thought about getting rid of my ridiculously expensive Silverado and going to an FJ Cruiser for a few years to daily and then retire as a keep forever vehicle. Unfortunately, the manual transmission models are few and far between and very expensive with low miles. A manual with the TRD supercharger would be a gem.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:00:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ElCazadorBlanco] [#20]
Double Post Deleted
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ElCazadorBlanco:

The 4 runner isn't available with a manual transmission. Underpowered vehicles are painfully boring to drive when paired with an antiquated slushbox.

I've thought about getting rid of my ridiculously expensive Silverado and going to an FJ Cruiser for a few years to daily and then retire as a keep forever vehicle. Unfortunately, the manual transmission models are few and far between and very expensive with low miles. A manual with the TRD supercharger would be a gem.
View Quote

Rock crawlers snagged all the manuals.  I think maybe 5% of FJs were row your own.  Very rare, almost never come on the market.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Common issues to watch out for? Your children, your wife and your dog when you’re trying to back up in your driveway with no visibility. I almost bought an early one when they came out, but decided against it after a test drive. Cool vehicles. The 4Runner is better.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By fosters:
Let's class this up a little

<a href="<a href="https://images34.fotki.com/v1690/photos/0/66370/9418585/1706291770217-vi.jpg" >[url]https://images34.fotki.com/v1690/photos/0/66370/9418585/1706291770217-vi.jpg">https://images34.fotki.com/v1690/photos/0/66370/9418585/1706291770217-vi.jpg">[url=https://public.fotki.com/Quicksilva/wheels/fzj-80/1706291770217.html]https://images34.fotki.com/v1690/photos/0/66370/9418585/1706291770217-vi.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a 2010 FJ Cruiser that was loaded with all the packages and it had under 60K miles on it. I sold it 5 years ago and was doing good to get $25K for it and that was only because it was so nice, low miles and well maintained.  These days, however, you'll pay that much for a rough one with high miles.  So I think the time to buy one has passed.  With the time frame being only 2007 to 2014 model years for FJ Cruisers sold in the US, most are now pretty high mileage vehicles.  That coupled with their now obscenely high prices makes them a poor buy these days.  It just make more economic sense to get a 4Runner although the FJ is certainly more unique

We sold our FJ Cruiser and got a TRD Off Road 4Runner because the wife plain hated driving the FJ due to the visibility issues.  Although that's somewhat overblown with the proper use of mirrors, many people do have problems with it.  The big thing I hated was all the windshield chips you'd accumulate. If you got a new windshield you knew it'd get new chips in short order because of the near flat angle of the windshield. That inner fender issue seemed to affect only some 2007-2008 years.  Finally, I'd definitely get a 2010 and later as they had the engine with slightly improved fuel mileage.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:01:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: APBullet] [#25]
I've read the first year production in 2007 some had improperly heat treated rear ring and pinion gears that wore out prematurely, but not all in that year was subject to the issue.

I have a 2007 model that never developed that problem and I monitored it for a few years. I can only guess it was a batch of ring opinions that were bad. So if you look at a 2007 model check for excessive opinion, right left movement. If it hadn't developed the problem let it  probably never will.

I did have to have the evaporator replaced, but that is it common problem on some. Probably the older models don't have that issue. Other than that, I've only changed the brakes, fan built, and pulleys.  So far I'm at 165,000 miles.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Ahhh, the FJ-40, finest factory-made 4wd ever made IMO. FJ-55's and 60's were pretty cool too.

Wish I could afford one these days.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By manderson1911:
Fj62 master race checking in.

Fj40, Fj60, fj70 fj80, fj100, and maybe even fj200 are all acceptable too.
View Quote

....and the BJ40

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Ahhh, the FJ-40, finest factory-made 4wd ever made IMO. FJ-55's and 60's were pretty cool too.

Wish I could afford one these days.
View Quote

I want an Iron Pig so bad.  Ever since I saw the red and white one in The Lost Boys.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:30:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROOSTER15] [#29]
I have a 2012 with 180k. Had 90k when I bought it in Jan of 2019. No problems so far. I get 16-17mpg on 87oct. Probably get better if I drove a little slower.
Didn't have any rust when I got. I treat it with Woolwax almost every year. Still doesn't have any rust.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:

Rock crawlers snagged all the manuals.  I think maybe 5% of FJs were row your own.  Very rare, almost never come on the market.
View Quote

My 07 6MT FJ in Black Cherry (or whatever it's called) paint is one of ~500 ever made.

MTs are indeed rare.

I'm about to put mine up for sale if anyone's got a hankering for a nice FJ. *Not a for sale ad*
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top