BCM
User Panel

Talk to me about UTVs (Page 3 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Smooch:
I just bought a ‘23 72” X3 Turbo RR after riding Polaris Sportsman’s for years. It’s great. I shopped different models for almost a year before I narrowed it down to what I wanted and found a great deal.

I was never a brand loyal guy, but I don’t see me going back to Polaris unless they make a 180 with their designs, quality and price. They don’t offer the value compared to their competitors.
View Quote

I went with the 23 RS. It’s pretty awesome.

Attachment Attached File

For comparison; I always say the Polaris Turbo models are like a Ford Raptor and the CanAm more like a Mustang because of how you sit in them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By LexDiamonds:

I just discovered the Kawasaki today. The Teryx is a nice looking machine.
View Quote

The Kawasaki has a very nice suspension and is a comfortable ride. I wish they’d make a turbo model.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
Ive owned or driven them all. You are correct that the reason there's more Polaris in the shop is because of their popularity. Polaris sells more than all the other dealers combined.

The first question I ask is : How tall are you? If you're over 6' you'd be more comfortable in a CanAm.
At least sit in one of you can't take it for a test drive. Polaris makes an excellent machine. Don't listen to the retards.

My current sport models:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196752/IMG_2632_jpeg-3202788.JPG

OP. I have a trip planned for the first week in June south of Billings if you're interested.
View Quote

He's right.  I have a '13 RZR 800 and it's the sports car of SxSs.  Super fun and we've had it on most of the roughest
trails for a hundred miles around and we always got home.  Rides great, 50", small.  A lot of the units you meet on
the trail are almost as big as a pickup, fuck that.  For the farm we have a 835 Gator.  Full cab, heat and air.  Perfect
box for the dogs.  We drive it every day of the year, more than the pickups.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
True, but the Kubota RTV-XG850 C3PO and I posted about is known as a hybrid, something between the pure sport vs. pure work models (like the slow as molasses Kubota diesel RTVs).  So, the OP has the option of getting a little bit of both.

40 mph is about as fast as I'd want to go in an UTV; 70 mph would scare the living shit out of me.  
View Quote

The RZR 800s will go about 60 on the highway and track like a car even though they are only 9' long and
50" wide.   Not scary, super fun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:13:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: migradog] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:22:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FDC:

The OP asked about UTVs and you're surprised he gets UTV recommendations?

Big difference between a UTV and a playtime SxS.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mike3000fl:
lol, OP wants something fast and fun, without dump beds.

everyone posts pics of off road golf cart utility sxs with dump beds. lol.

seriously either go Polaris RZR or Canam X3

Tell us you didn't read his post, without telling us you didn't read his post.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sublimeshooter:
We have 3 Can Am X3 XMR's and if you want a go fast machine with a great ride and handling, they're hard to beat. If you're going to run trails at 15mph, I'd suggest something a little less sports car like and go with a Maverick Sport, Commander, Kawasaki KRX, Yamaha Rmax... Accessories/upgrades also get very expensive on the Rzr's and X3's because there's huge aftermarket support and you'll constantly be seeing something else your machine cant live without. I have 19K in aftermarket stuff on mine.

Like someone else said, the X3's and RZR's are going to require more maintenance and care than many of the other options out there. Horsepower and performance come with a price. Anyone that says different, either abuses their machine like it's one of these or drives one of these like they're taking Miss Daisy out for a Sunday drive.
View Quote
XMR is great but was really designed for mud/swamp. Snorkels and swamp mud tires come standard.

XRC for rock crawling
XDS for areas with wooded narrow trails 64"
XRS for open desert out west style stuff 72"
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
OP, I have a Kubota Sidekick and work the shit out of it.  It is not as fast as some of them but I got mine to work and casual play.  A 3 cyl Subaru gas engine, governed to 41 mph which is plenty fast for farm use.   Metal bed with 1,000 lb capacity, 2,000 lb tow capacity.
I will be honest and say I have overloaded mine in the bed and tow capacity and it didnt let me down.  It has locking dif, 4 low, 4 high and regular 2 wheel drive.  Never had an issue in 3 years.  The are around $14K and Kubota always has zero percent interest.

https://cdn-fastly.atv.com/media/2022/10/24/8778326/2018-kubota-rtv-xg850-sidekick-review.jpg?size=1200x628
View Quote

Some of the sidekicks have a problem with gas getting into the oil. They call it a “short run” problem meaning if you don’t run them long enough to heat up sufficiently the rings will let gas through. There’s a thread on ORANGE TRACTOR TALKS FORUM about this. Kubota has acknowledged the defect and already replaced the OP’s machine. Just be aware. Not sure what years are affected but they are Subaru powered units.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#9]
OP, I have a Kubota Sidekick and work the shit out of it.  It is not as fast as some of them but I got mine to work and casual play.  A 3 cyl Subaru gas engine, governed to 41 mph which is plenty fast for farm use.   Metal bed with 1,000 lb capacity, 2,000 lb tow capacity.
I will be honest and say I have overloaded mine in the bed and tow capacity and it didnt let me down.  It has locking dif, 4 low, 4 high and regular 2 wheel drive.  Never had an issue in 3 years.  The are around $14K and Kubota always has zero percent interest.

https://cdn-fastly.atv.com/media/2022/10/24/8778326/2018-kubota-rtv-xg850-sidekick-review.jpg?size=1200x628
View Quote

Some of the sidekicks have a problem with gas getting into the oil. They call it a “short run” problem meaning if you don’t run them long enough to heat up sufficiently the rings will let gas through. There’s a thread on ORANGE TRACTOR TALKS FORUM about this. Kubota has acknowledged the defect and already replaced the OP’s machine. Just be aware. Not sure what years are affected but they are Subaru powered units.
I own 2 Kubota products right now but not a sidekick.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:20:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#10]
View All Quotes
lol, OP wants something fast and fun, without dump beds.

everyone posts pics of off road golf cart utility sxs with dump beds. lol.

seriously either go Polaris RZR or Canam X3

I read his post.

Which is why I didn't post about my UTV.

When you title a thread asking about oranges, but your post is talking about bananas don't be surprised if people talk about oranges in your thread.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:31:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sublimeshooter] [#11]
XMR is great but was really designed for mud/swamp. Snorkels and swamp mud tires come standard.

XRC for rock crawling
XDS for areas with wooded narrow trails 64"
XRS for open desert out west style stuff 72"
View Quote

I'm good at finding DEEP puddles! The snorkels are about the only XMR thing on mine at this point.

Here's the Devils Elbow

Slate Rock
https://youtube.com/shorts/zDaHKxim0SM?si=grAzuceftwiAWfzf
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wm69:

I'll post the quote again from the parts manager from Honda East Toledo, which sells and repairs all of the big brands.   This was from emails back and forth a couple of years ago.

Can am are gas guzzlers, Polaris can and will sell to anyone with a pay stub, credit or not, as far as the quality goes....I let it speak for itself.  All the machine out back in our stable, 90% of them.....Polaris sportsmans and RZR's.

I had to put a belt and clutch rollers in my FIL's Can Am HD8 with under 1K miles on it, stock tires.   Otherwise it's been ok, but with only 1K miles on it, not really enough use to tell how it will be in the long term.

I'm a Honda ATV guy, but there new stuff isn't as good as their old stuff.  For years I'd buy 3-4 basketcase Honda ATV's (usually sunk, and then ridden till they died) and rebuild them.   I have a lot of people show up and say "Hey, I've heard you're good with ATV/ UTV stuff, can you fix this?" and I've fixed a lot of stuff over the last decade.

Were I looking at SxS's, especially a "sporty" one, I'd look at Yamaha first.   The Honda 1000's had some issues early in the design that seem to have gotten better with some component upgrades.  The700's aren't really a "sport" UTV, and the three speed transmission leaves a lot to be desired.   The Yamaha has the best belt system.   Hondas don't have belts.   That puts them top of the heap for me.

Can Am's are powerhouses, but power breaks stuff.  

Polaris and Arctic Cat are bottom of the barrel garbage as brands, and not only would I not buy one, I won't work on them anymore.   They're just shit build quality, parts are $$$, and they have to be repaired over and over again.  

Polaris dealerships here don't last.  Nobody buys them.  The power junkies buy Can Am, everyone else buys Honda.
View Quote

my x3 max does well on fuel, even with 4 of us in it.  i suppose if you are constantly hammering it, it wouldnt...  but its a 4 seater, cant really hammer it in the woods

my dads defender 1000 has had some issues.  albeit, because it just sits.  just had to put an injector in it.  its a 2018 with 300 miles on it.... sooooo

im not a huge fan of how the defender handles/rides etc compared to a ranger.  the defender vibrates a lot, its jerky and i just the the ranger is a smoother machine.  the power is great tho....
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#13]

How has their reliability been? Mine has left me stranded a few times.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196752/IMG_0918_jpeg-3203397.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:

Never change GD.

OP: "High guys.  Looking for a sporty utv not a farm or work machine.  What would you suggest?"

GD'r:  "I've got this super heavy diesel model with rock hard suspension and a high speed of 40 mph!  I love it."

WTF!

I've got 6 of the diesel Kubota and they're about as boring to ride as a golf cart.  

How has their reliability been? Mine has left me stranded a few times.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196752/IMG_0918_jpeg-3203397.JPG

Never a single mechanical issue.  They can get stuck on wet grass though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Hillcountry:

Some of the sidekicks have a problem with gas getting into the oil. They call it a "short run" problem meaning if you don't run them long enough to heat up sufficiently the rings will let gas through. There's a thread on ORANGE TRACTOR TALKS FORUM about this. Kubota has acknowledged the defect and already replaced the OP's machine. Just be aware. Not sure what years are affected but they are Subaru powered units.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hillcountry:

Some of the sidekicks have a problem with gas getting into the oil. They call it a "short run" problem meaning if you don't run them long enough to heat up sufficiently the rings will let gas through. There's a thread on ORANGE TRACTOR TALKS FORUM about this. Kubota has acknowledged the defect and already replaced the OP's machine. Just be aware. Not sure what years are affected but they are Subaru powered units.
I check that forum daily as a member of OTT.  I consider it equivalent to the diesel problem of "wet-stacking" (I think that's what they call it).  Hence, when I start my Sidekick, I leave it running for short jobs or make sure to run it hot and fast at least once during the run.

I wish Kubota would come up with a solution for the overly twitchy throttle though.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Good feedback and cool pics. Lets keep em coming!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:26:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#17]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#18]
One downside to Kubotas (and, I assume, JD) is the cost of replacement parts.

See the round things just inside the headlights?  Those are just simple round reflectors.  If you want to replace them with Kubota LED headlamps, they are $200 - each.  

Another downside is the aftermarket parts and accessory market:  Go to almost any UTV tire and/or accessory place and they'll have separate categories for aftermarket parts and accessories for Yamaha, Honda, Kawa, Can-Am etc. etc.  But Kubota?  Nope, narry a one; they don't even bother to list them.

One last comment:  If you drive at all on pavement, don't buy or install ITP Blackwater Evolution tires (the tires shown above).  They are great for off-road, great traction, durable and robust 8 ply construction; very good on steep hills - but they suck for longevity on pavement.  See the tread above on the front tires above?  All gone, they are completely bald now after just one summer of driving the 1 1/2 and 2 lane rural roads around here picking up trash.  I plan to replace them with 27" Tusk Terrabites.  The only real question is do I upgrade to 14" wheels or keep the stock OEM 12" wheels.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:20:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: explodingvarmints] [#19]
Originally Posted By guns762:
I will add, we had a RZR 800.    One of the first models.   It sucked, and was treated like a baby.    My in-laws own a Ranger.   Constant problems, and theirs never gets mistreated.   I was looking hard at a General, but was scared away by my past experiences.   I know you said you weren't wanting something with a dump bed, but there are many models out there that bridge the sport/utility use.   I love how high up I sit in the Wolverine.  My GSD loves to go for a ride, so the bed works well with him.  

I just added a dome light Saturday, new light bar where the fake hood intake is, and looking to upgrade the headlight bulbs soon.
 I also added some revovery boards strapped above our heads, below the roof.   Couple spots spooked me last fall, and the boards will give me more options if need be. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1292/20230613_141501-2859930.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1292/20210911_142440-2874906.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1292/20230612_082420-2859933.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p068q1b.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jQcMMYi.jpg

View Quote

The Wolverine was finalist #2 after looking at a lot of machines, talking to serious riders, and sitting in various machines.  I really wanted to stay with Yamaha after how awesome my Rhino's and Grizzly had been but the bed was just too small and too high for what I was going to do with it (hauling dead deer, etc.).  Therefor the CanAm Defender got the nod.  I haven't put it through a serious trail ride yet, but I have no reason to think it wouldn't do fine and be fun.  You can still make it go sideways around a curve if you punch it. . . it's got a lot of power and responsiveness in "sport" mode.

Your Wolverine looks like it has more sport than it does work which would seemingly fit what the  OP is looking for very well.  Nice machine!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Don’t have a dog in this fight, but you’re saying Polaris will sell to anybody, sells the most, but nobody in your area sells Polaris because they’re out of business?
BTW, Polaris dealer down the road has been in business since ‘85. Just here for info.
View Quote

I'm saying they're popular because they're powerful, comfortable, and easy for bubba to buy with his 300 credit score.  The problem is, they're shit quality so they don't last without constant repairs.  

Hard for a dealership to stay open when Cleetus buys it on credit, doesn't make the payments, and won't bring it in to be fixed (shop revenue) because he doesn't want it repo'd.

First dealership opened here in the early 90's.   All the farmers flocked to buy Polaris.   After a few years, they all realized their ATV's were always in the shop, and the cost of ownership was through the roof. so the farmers all got rid of the Polaris rigs and went back to Honda.

Polaris dealership opened about 30 miles up the road about 2010.  I think it lasted 3-4 years before it closed.   People around here use their ATV's and UTV's for work, and they want equipment that holds up.

Interestingly enough, it appears that the Honda/Can Am dealership a 1/2 hour away recently picked up Polaris.   Since the shop tends to normally bring in much more revenue than new unit sales, I'm guessing they wanted to add a "POS" line to their floor to try to bring in more repair revenue.

Polaris are like dodge vehicles.  They're cheaper, have lots of bells and whistles and when brand new they're nice, but they're POS compared to Japanese competitors.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:24:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wm69] [#21]

You sure do love posting that garbage in every utv thread. Just stop already bro. To the folks who know what we’re talking about, you just look retarded.
View Quote

Polaris has the reputation that it does for a reason.  

Of course, those who bought a Polaris anyway get butt hurt when told that they made a poor decision.

How many powersports engines do you rebuild in a year?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I will be concentrating on HONDA PIONEER when ready to buy. I like the fact they have engine braking and after all…it’s a HONDA!  My usage is strictly on my own land and I have steep leave-covered hills with several runoff brooks that I will have to cross. I will ride it gently and never abuse it like some do… ever a used any of my machines. I think the Honda will last my lifetime. (Which may not be a full 20 years, but who knows?)
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Of course, those who bought a Polaris anyway get butt hurt when told that they made a poor decision.

View All Quotes

You sure do love posting that garbage in every utv thread. Just stop already bro. To the folks who know what we’re talking about, you just look retarded.

I have 2 brother-in-laws in powersports. One a mechanic at a dealership, one a general repair shop that handles UTV's motorcycles, boats etc.

Both told me if I bought a polaris I was on my own for repairs.  

I have lots of friends with Razrs who love them, but both the BiL's said they see far more of those than anything else, and they tend to be difficult to work on.

I'm not sure if it's cause polaris sells a lot more of them, or if it's a general quality thing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#25]

I'm saying they're popular because they're powerful, comfortable, and easy for bubba to buy with his 300 credit score.  The problem is, they're shit quality so they don't last without constant repairs.  

Hard for a dealership to stay open when Cleetus buys it on credit, doesn't make the payments, and won't bring it in to be fixed (shop revenue) because he doesn't want it repo'd.

First dealership opened here in the early 90's.   All the farmers flocked to buy Polaris.   After a few years, they all realized their ATV's were always in the shop, and the cost of ownership was through the roof. so the farmers all got rid of the Polaris rigs and went back to Honda.

Polaris dealership opened about 30 miles up the road about 2010.  I think it lasted 3-4 years before it closed.   People around here use their ATV's and UTV's for work, and they want equipment that holds up.

Interestingly enough, it appears that the Honda/Can Am dealership a 1/2 hour away recently picked up Polaris.   Since the shop tends to normally bring in much more revenue than new unit sales, I'm guessing they wanted to add a "POS" line to their floor to try to bring in more repair revenue.

Polaris are like dodge vehicles.  They're cheaper, have lots of bells and whistles and when brand new they're nice, but they're POS compared to Japanese competitors.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Don’t have a dog in this fight, but you’re saying Polaris will sell to anybody, sells the most, but nobody in your area sells Polaris because they’re out of business?
BTW, Polaris dealer down the road has been in business since ‘85. Just here for info.

That's been my take on Polaris as well.  Some folks get a good one and turn into the loudest fanboys alive.  Most folks get one with non-stop electrical gremlins and off it once they've trailered it back to the dealership one too many times.  I see more of the latter.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#26]
A new Polaris dealer opened near me two years ago and they seem to be doing well. I don’t know of any that have closed. Not everyone can run a business. My Ranger is 10 years old and my RZR is 8 years old, never needed to rebuild, because well Polaris….
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Any other Teryx owners?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Polaris Rzr
Can Am Maverick
Kawasaki Teryx

All are great Machines. I prefer the Kawasaki myself. Can Am is just too expensive for what you get, the fit and finish is mediocre and the seating position sucks IMO. The Rzr would be my second choice.

Don't rule out CF Moto. I am actually considering adding one to the stable.  A few buddies have them and they have had zero issues with the 950 h.o. and performance is impressive. For the money they are tough to beat as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JDennis:

Don't rule out CF Moto.
View Quote

Well even Segway makes SxSs now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JDennis:

Don't rule out CF Moto.

I thought Segway went out of business when the new owner went off a cliff on a his Segway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:44:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARMinnesota] [#31]
I will add, we had a RZR 800.    One of the first models.   It sucked, and was treated like a baby.    My in-laws own a Ranger.   Constant problems, and theirs never gets mistreated.   I've had to go rescue(trailer it out) my M-I-L several times, when it just quit and left her on the side of a mountain.  Not good for an 80yr old woman.   I was looking hard at a General, but was scared away by my past experiences.   I know you said you weren't wanting something with a dump bed, but there are many models out there that bridge the sport/utility use.   I love how high up I sit in the Wolverine.  My GSD loves to go for a ride, so the bed works well with him.  

I just added a dome light Saturday, new light bar where the fake hood intake is, and looking to upgrade the headlight bulbs soon.
 I also added some revovery boards strapped above our heads, below the roof.   Couple spots spooked me last fall, and the boards will give me more options if need be. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1292/20230613_141501-2859930.jpg

View Quote

I love that the Rmax comes with Maxxis Carnivores. In my opinion the best looking tire out there but I only got two seasons out of them running a LOT of pavement.
I probably could have squeaked another season out of them but last summer I tore a hole in one and I no longer trusted it after the massive patch job.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#32]
KRX1000 is the way to go, top speed is about 65-67 mph, which is more than enough for trail riding, if you have a dealer nearby that handles different brands check out the build quality and beefiness of the KRX. The ride quality on the krx is one of the best there is, here  is a picture of mine, just put 35 inch tires on it and it will go anywhere that I want to take it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AlienHunter:
KRX1000 is the way to go, top speed is about 65-67 mph, which is more than enough for trail riding, if you have a dealer nearby that handles different brands check out the build quality and beefiness of the KRX. The ride quality on the krx is one of the best there is, here  is a picture of mine, just put 35 inch tires on it and it will go anywhere that I want to take it.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/287185/IMG_0155_jpeg-3203912.JPG
View Quote

Sexy. Besides the 35s what other accessories have you added?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:19:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#34]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#35]

I run mine up the interstate. 72” wide machines are pretty stable.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196752/IMG_0533_jpeg-3203406.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Merlin:
True, but the Kubota RTV-XG850 C3PO and I posted about is known as a hybrid, something between the pure sport vs. pure work models (like the slow as molasses Kubota diesel RTVs).  So, the OP has the option of getting a little bit of both.

40 mph is about as fast as I'd want to go in an UTV; 70 mph would scare the living shit out of me.  

I run mine up the interstate. 72” wide machines are pretty stable.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196752/IMG_0533_jpeg-3203406.JPG

Umm mum mum!!!!  That's Ill Eagle!  
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Only added a windshield, a GRMs radio system and a after market cage , oh and a cheap boss head unit for music, built the speakers myself from Polk marine speakers.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlienHunter:
KRX1000 is the way to go, top speed is about 65-67 mph, which is more than enough for trail riding, if you have a dealer nearby that handles different brands check out the build quality and beefiness of the KRX. The ride quality on the krx is one of the best there is, here  is a picture of mine, just put 35 inch tires on it and it will go anywhere that I want to take it.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/287185/IMG_0155_jpeg-3203912.JPG
Only added a windshield, a GRMs radio system and a after market cage , oh and a cheap boss head unit for music, built the speakers myself from Polk marine speakers.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I will add, we had a RZR 800.    One of the first models.   It sucked, and was treated like a baby.    My in-laws own a Ranger.   Constant problems, and theirs never gets mistreated.   I've had to go rescue(trailer it out) my M-I-L several times, when it just quit and left her on the side of a mountain.  Not good for an 80yr old woman.   I was looking hard at a General, but was scared away by my past experiences.   I know you said you weren't wanting something with a dump bed, but there are many models out there that bridge the sport/utility use.   I love how high up I sit in the Wolverine.  My GSD loves to go for a ride, so the bed works well with him.  

View Quote

At first I was like Jesus the wolverine is bigger than I thought stock then I realized your wife is pretty small lol
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn you guys are going to cost me money. The local dealer has a Honda Pioneer 700 for sale for $12,000. That's a buy once, cry once for what I need.  Going to send a link to the wife and see what she says.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:
Damn you guys are going to cost me money. The local dealer has a Honda Pioneer 700 for sale for $12,000. That's a buy once, cry once for what I need.  Going to send a link to the wife and see what she says.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#42]

She is 5'4".  

I've got a picture somewhere of my 3rd gen 4runner parked next to the Wolverine in the garage.  

They are the same height.  We laugh because we sit closer together in the 4runner than the Wolverine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:

At first I was like Jesus the wolverine is bigger than I thought stock then I realized your wife is pretty small lol

She is 5'4".  

I've got a picture somewhere of my 3rd gen 4runner parked next to the Wolverine in the garage.  

They are the same height.  We laugh because we sit closer together in the 4runner than the Wolverine.

I have a 2008 rhino that’s been a tank. It’s about 6’ ish to the top of the roof. I had the first legit failure this past weekend - fan didn’t start when it was supposed to lol. Not bad for 14 ish years
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:
View Quote

The 700 has the same engine as the 680 Rincon, other than a lower geared secondary.   I'm not crazy about the 3 speed transmission, but I prefer it to the DCT in the 1000 Pioneers.   They are tough, proven powerplants.   Have been used in the Rincons since pretty much 2003 (EFI was added in 2006, and CC's went from 650 to 680 at the same time).  

NO BELTS which is the biggest benefit.  However, you won't be able to run huge tires without portals.  Will be fine for something like 27's-28's, but you'll have to do portals to go bigger than that, and portals are $$$$.

Keep in mind that the base SxS isn't what costs so much.  Adding accessories is where they will scorch your wallet.   Top, doors, windshield are all $$$$ on these UTV's.  

Still should be a good machine.  Do your research when buying accessories and don't get hosed at the dealership.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Did they change the engine on the gas model?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm with @guns762 on this - check out the sport/utility models.  I have a Yamaha Viking VI (The 6-seater model).    We use it for work around the house, as well as trail riding with the kids.  It's never going to be a Teryx or a Talon (although I'd love a Honda Talon4).  But for the times we ride trails, it's perfect.   The first one I actually saw was out in Idaho camping on Bear Lake, the camper next door had one and spoke it's praises so much I bought one when we got home from that trip.   The only thing I don't like about it is the single-cylinder engine gets a little buzzy when in the sand trails down here.  

@guns762 - I recognize the chest holster - have the same one and it's great when working out in the woods.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:59:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#46]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:17:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#47]
Originally Posted By Torf:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Torf:

I don't understand the question.  Change the engine from what?  The diesel versions?  Well of course.  From the RTV-500?  Yes again.  I don't know who makes the 2 cyl. ~17 hp gas engine for the -520.

Subaru made the original gas engine for the -XG850, but since 2023 or so, Kubota brought it in-house and they make it now.  I *believe* it's the same engine, just now made by Kubota, but I'm not sure since I don't keep up with the latest in UTVs.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#48]
IDK, I have a 21' RZR Trail S Premium I bought new. I have about 1800 miles on it and have only had one issue with a brake pedal sensor, it was about a $60ish/15min repair. I did have to replace an ignition cable that a mouse chewed on but I can't blame Polaris entirely for that one. I'm a maintenance stickler and don't beat the shit out of it, it's treated me well in kind. I will say the fit and finish on my machine is kinda shit, panels don't always fit properly and I've found several "extra" fasteners I have no idea the origin of. The some of the welds on the frame look like HS students did them in shop class their time welding, just dog shit but I haven't had any issues beyond cosmetic. I blame some this on the machine being born during the "pandemic".

Overall, I have no regrets but I do have some understanding why Polaris gets the rep it does.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By rstel01:
We're actually looking for a "2nd" Machine and I'm also kind of in obsessing mode on what to do as well.

Between another Mule, A Honda Rancher ATV (Honda's dont use CVT's) or an ARGO (which I really want)
View Quote

That 5 inches of ground clearance will sure go a long way. I don't understand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By deuce_22:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By deuce_22:
Originally Posted By rstel01:
We're actually looking for a "2nd" Machine and I'm also kind of in obsessing mode on what to do as well.

Between another Mule, A Honda Rancher ATV (Honda's dont use CVT's) or an ARGO (which I really want)

Never really understood Argo's either.  Slow, bumpy, loud, uncomfortable, etc.  They float, I get that, but beyond that. . .

Rather have a UTV and a small john boat.
Page / 5
Talk to me about UTVs (Page 3 of 5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top