Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alex_F:
Check to make sure they didn't drink all the brake fluid
View Quote

Well, sir, the roadwheel's cracked. Kaminski drank our brakes. We're low on petrol. The battery's low. We're losing oil. If the engine heats up it's gonna seize. The terrain, obviously against us. We have no rations. The Mujas behind us don't seem to run on rations, petrol, or anything we know of. And they have an RPG. Their aim is getting better. Sir.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
In all seriousness, this is how I ended up with a very nice PVS-14.

My wife got scared of something in the back yard at night, so I mentioned how nice it would be if I had night vision. She approved, and I dropped $4k the next day :)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm interested in the price of one of these fine vehicles as well.  I may soon have an empty place in the garage I might need to fill.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:  Both will be finished this year and going to acquire a third one next year.
View Quote

Are you sure you're not repeating yourself from last year?  The last time I was trying to help you find brake lines, my Father in Law was still alive.

What if you got both of em running first and set a goal of keeping them both running for two years before you bought anything else?  That would give you a baseline of everyday maintenance needed as well as a lift in the pocketbook.  Running VICs also attact krewe who can help with the everyday level 1 maintenance tasks.  Non-running armored VICs scare mechanically minded people.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Those are pocket sized and fun. Get one!
View Quote

That's the long term goal. I already have a '43 MB, a tracked vehicle is the next step up.    
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By thunderw21:
I've been bugging my wife for an M20 Weasel. No dice yet, so I need to keep at it I guess. Get it road legal and it'd be the perfect blizzard vehicle.  

https://i.imgur.com/fVn62kM.jpeg
View Quote

Photo is a little grainy, but I think everyone inside that his a smile of their face.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:04:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Are you sure you're not repeating yourself from last year?  The last time I was trying to help you find brake lines, my Father in Law was still alive.

What if you got both of em running first and set a goal of keeping them both running for two years before you bought anything else?  That would give you a baseline of everyday maintenance needed as well as a lift in the pocketbook.  Running VICs also attact krewe who can help with the everyday level 1 maintenance tasks.  Non-running armored VICs scare mechanically minded people.
View Quote

M35ben and I couldn't figure out the brake problem but the guys I am working with now absolutely can.

I'm not taking any chances and it's going to be rebuilt from the ground up. Every seal is going to get replaced. I have a new polish source that's going to get all the parts.

Roland is getting towards the end of being completed. It's already been running. Now just need to get the tie rod and some smaller bits taken care of and put it all back together.

Maintaining them is easy. What I am fighting is neglect and a lack of time.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#8]

M35ben and I couldn't figure out the brake problem but the guys I am working with now absolutely can.

I'm not taking any chances and it's going to be rebuilt from the ground up. Every seal is going to get replaced. I have a new polish source that's going to get all the parts.

Roland is getting towards the end of being completed. It's already been running. Now just need to get the tie rod and some smaller bits taken care of and put it all back together.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not to mention, what happened to encouraging questionable decision making in the pursuit of interesting stories and pictures?

Especially when it's someone else's time and money?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:46:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd want a wheeled vehicle. Tracks are a PITA.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Are you sure you're not repeating yourself from last year?  The last time I was trying to help you find brake lines, my Father in Law was still alive.

My point is that a tracked VIC isn't going to make things better.  You've had a Soviet VIC for how many years and I think the last time you had it almost really roadworthy, it caught fire.  Get these two into actual maintenance mode for a couple of years, build up that bank account, then look at tracks.

Maintaining American VICs with Uncle's money is easy.  Restoring neglected foreign VICs with your own money and parts stolen from actual army motorpools in foreign countries is much more difficult, particularly during wartime.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Check the inside, there could be soviet wallets.
View Quote

And Nazi gold in the fuel tanks!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TxLawDog:
What country is it coming from?  10 years ago Czechoslovakia had a good supply for sale.
View Quote

I bet it's Ukraine. Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess get whatever you want when the taxpayers are paying.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:  I guess get whatever you want when the taxpayers are paying.
View Quote

This is OP's money we're talking about.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Backstory:

DFW area got a good helping of snow and ice in 2021 (over 1/4 inch, so planes are falling, people dying, bread and milk out of the stores, the elderly being trampled)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/IMG_0221_JPG-3200602.JPG

Wife said this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51435/IMG_0323_JPG-3200606.JPG

Winning.

View Quote

JCSSA?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like JCSSA to me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
I'd want a wheeled vehicle. Tracks are a PITA.
View Quote

Get both, buy a halftrack!  
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:36:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#20]
"You had to ask permission?"

--Arfcom

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Torf:

--Arfcom

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Torf:

--Arfcom

I bought the last vehicle without permission with mobilization money.

I didn't hear the end of it for years.

Originally Posted By EMSflyer:
Looks like JCSSA to me.

Originally Posted By tboesche:

JCSSA?

Maybe

Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
I guess get whatever you want when the taxpayers are paying.

If that was the case I'd get something way cooler like a T72.

But I mean, technically yes-I used Taxpayer money to buy both.

Also called a paycheck and enlistment bonus

Originally Posted By Aspida1776:

I bet it's Ukraine. Ask me how I know

Ukraine has nothing to do with this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:04:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustedAce] [#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:41:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#23]

My point is that a tracked VIC isn't going to make things better.  
View All Quotes

My point is that a tracked VIC isn't going to make things better.  

Doesn't matter if it doesn't make anything better, by the time I get the money for one I'll have both vehicles running. My FMC rate jumps from 0 to 50%. Better!

You've had a Soviet VIC for how many years and I think the last time you had it almost really roadworthy, it caught fire.  

I've hit the road around a half dozen times. The biggest problem we have is the brakes. The "fire" was a single flame from a leaky oil gasket dripping onto the exhaust.

Get these two into actual maintenance mode for a couple of years, build up that bank account, then look at tracks.

They're not in maintenance mode, they're in rebuilding mode. Look at the roland-every single thing that's worn out is getting replaced from the ground up.

New wheel bearings, springs, tires, tie rods, shocks, paint, periscopes, gaskets, king pins, drag link bar, plugs, wires, everything.

BRDM is getting a lot of parts replaced too.

I can sit back and let them sit there for a couple years and do little on them or I can push and get them both done this year and move on to the next project. I can't paint, insulate, and install electric doors until I get both of them out on the driveway.
Maintaining American VICs with Uncle's money is easy.  Restoring neglected foreign VICs with your own money and parts stolen from actual army motorpools in foreign countries is much more difficult, particularly during wartime.

Roland has been easy. BRDM is a little harder but nothing undoable.

This is OP's money we're talking about.

The promotion to lead DG night stocker has benefits

One of my biggest sources of pride is that I bought these through hard work and not theft and stealing. (Except the parts from Russia. That's not stealing, it's pre-emptive self defense of a third party)

Had this bloody war not started I could have done a lot more.

Originally Posted By RustedAce:
My wife is smart enough to not want a tracked commie garbage dump.

It's only a "tracked commie garbage dump" when you don't own one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:17:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By thunderw21:
I've been bugging my wife for an M20 Weasel. No dice yet, so I need to keep at it I guess. Get it road legal and it'd be the perfect blizzard vehicle.  

View Quote

M29 Weasel for sale
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

M29 Weasel for sale
View Quote

50k gets you a BRDM2 that's way cooler. I didn't realize how expensive those little things were.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#26]

50k gets you a BRDM2 that's way cooler. I didn't realize how expensive those little things were.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxxII:  M29 Weasel for sale

Looks like the Weasel runs though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I would also be curious how much a BMP cost if someone knows.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I could just see myself finally getting that WWII Sherman tank that I have always wanted, and then promptly burying it up to the return rollers and throwing both tracks. Fuck all that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Southernman077:  I could just see myself finally getting that WWII Sherman tank that I have always wanted, and then promptly burying it up to the return rollers and throwing both tracks. Fuck all that.
View Quote

One of my upperclassmen did buy him a Sherman.  His HOA tried booting it.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Both will be finished this year and going to acquire a third one next year.

It took nearly 2 years to find new folks to get parts after our black market Russian guy went dark. I found an elderly guy in Poland who needs to supplement his pension and comes highly regarded.

Why do you make everything, including things not about Ukraine, about Ukraine?

What is with your derangement syndrome?

@m4-ak

@NemesisMind

This thread is about something completely unrelated. People complain I post about Ukraine too much. Cool. Folks can say whatever they want.

Then they go and drag Ukraine into non-Ukraine related threads.

Mkay

More or less a critically endangered creature at this point.

I would like the T72 hull, however. The TOS is used by my own branch so it's a neat vehicle

View All Quotes
Dude.  You have two armored VICS that are not currently running.  And you want to go to tracks?

It took nearly 2 years to find new folks to get parts after our black market Russian guy went dark. I found an elderly guy in Poland who needs to supplement his pension and comes highly regarded.

Originally Posted By M4-AK:
but, Ukraine needs it worse than you do.

Donate!

Originally Posted By NemesisMind:
OP's gaslighting has gone tier 1. Buy it and send it to Ukraine. Choose wisely.

@m4-ak

@NemesisMind

This thread is about something completely unrelated. People complain I post about Ukraine too much. Cool. Folks can say whatever they want.

Mkay

Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:
TOS-1A might be a good fit for clearing snow and ice from large areas like parking lots. probably all in use and backordered though

I would like the T72 hull, however. The TOS is used by my own branch so it's a neat vehicle

I just now saw this.

FadedSun, you are correct Sir.
It was a poor attempt on my part at humor.
Please accept my Apology.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#31]

I just now saw this.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Dude.  You have two armored VICS that are not currently running.  And you want to go to tracks?

Originally Posted By M4-AK:  but, Ukraine needs it worse than you do.

Donate!

Originally Posted By NemesisMind:  OP's gaslighting has gone tier 1. Buy it and send it to Ukraine. Choose wisely.

@m4-ak

@NemesisMind

Mkay

Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:  TOS-1A might be a good fit for clearing snow and ice from large areas like parking lots. probably all in use and backordered though

I just now saw this.

Heh.  @HenryKnoxFineBooks - we's gonna rub that Sir in deep.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm thinking more like M113A3. I can at least mount a M240 or M2 on that and it still gets more than 1mpg.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By HenryKnoxFineBooks:  I'm thinking more like M113A3. I can at least mount a M240 or M2 on that and it still gets more than 1mpg.
View Quote

While completely impractical, a Humvee with a semi M249 would be fun.  Any US military truck w/ a ring mount & a semi M249 would be fun.

A 2nd WW Jeep w/ an aluminum body, flat 4 Subaru (if it would fit), if not EFI & electronic ignition on a modern aluminum block that would, and a .308 M1919 w/ a M1917 water jacket would be even more fun.

Most practical would be an uparmored Mercedes Sprinter 3500 or commercial box truck.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:11:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: baize82] [#34]
Divorce her

So you can marry her again…and make the wedding perfect this time

lol
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Tracked vehicles tend to motivate people to get out of your way
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#36]
You don't have a hair on your junk if you don't use it to drive the kids to school!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Dude that’s awesome!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I just can’t get over how OP needed to start a thread on how to remove a broken bolt from a thru-hole but feels competent enough to buy these things
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#39]

My point is that a tracked VIC isn't going to make things better.  You've had a Soviet VIC for how many years and I think the last time you had it almost really roadworthy, it caught fire.  Get these two into actual maintenance mode for a couple of years, build up that bank account, then look at tracks.

View Quote

LOL. If I was near would lend a hand, sounds like he needs it .Love mil vehicles, grew up in motor pools, from Hood to Crailsheim, old man was Ordnance Corp. 1st Armor Div "Old Ironsides"  Would love to own something tracked. Looked at M3 HST but even getting a hull with tracks no engine or tranny is $$$ not being rich as fuck sucks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:
You don't have a hair on your junk if you don't use it to drive the kids to school!
View Quote

Bonus points if he does a neighborhood "car"pool with a full squad bay of kids, so he can drop the ramp and have them do a tactical dismount.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top