Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2024 11:36:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
Hey everyone, I'm hoping for some reccos;

I have two better quality AR pistols and one rifle, all with many high-quality upgrades and add-ons, some nice scopes, some nice optics, some LAMs, a TON of related accessories and about a thousand rounds of factory 5.56, and I'm looking to transform all of it into ONE SIG SAUER MCX SPEAR .308 pistol and ONE SIG SAUER MCX RATTLER-LT pistol, with a minimum of fuss and hassle. I do NOT want to spend the next 3 months of my life fielding driveby lowballs on tacswap selling every little bit and unit in order to maximize the money ... my time is too precious these days. I know there are some things that perhaps a dealer won't take, like the ammo, and I will happily sell those, but I'm looking for a recco for a LARGE gun store (must be a Sig Dealer obviously) who likes to do trades, somewhere in New England.

I'm in Vermont and there are only TWO decent-sized gun stores in the whole state; one of them doesn't like trade-ins and the other never seems to get Sig gear, although they are technically a dealer.

I know everybody thinks their used gear is worth more than it is, but even by the most conservative math, my haul should be worth well more on a trade-in, even at rock-bottom trade prices, than the retail cost of what I'm looking to get in return. By that same token, if anyone knows one of these crazy big-time collector types who just LOVES to buy and sell a lot of stuff, and who might be interested and able to a trade like this privately*, and lives within the greater New England area, please feel free to introduce me! There's definitely a tidy profit to be made here for someone who has the time and inclination to do so.

But, in the meantime, Google doesn't really tell me which stores are the BIGGEST and which ones are most likely to be interested in most or all of what I have to trade. Any recommendations are appreciated.

** Any hypothetical private deal would be done in accordance with all State and Federal laws.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you heard of the Equipment Exchange on AR15.com?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
As a buyer, I’ve had good experiences with Kittery trading post just over the Maine line. They have a massive inventory and high sales volumes, which I’m sure must be backed with a good amount of intake.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:48:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DWPW] [#3]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By birdbarian:
Have you heard of the Equipment Exchange on AR15.com?
View Quote

I have.

Have you heard of the second sentence in my post?

Seriously tho - it's like 18 items altogether, and the new system is set up for ONE ITEM PER AD. I neither need nor want to put in that kind of time and effort. Let someone who's in the business of doing so make the profit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:50:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#5]
Keep in mind that stores aren't looking at how valuable something is but rather if it is something that they can sell. I forgot the basic calculations but whenever a piece of inventory is shown on the floor, there is a daily rate of how much they're paying employees, then the space and as time goes on that piece of inventory deprecates down below the value of which they can make a profit. It's not so much the value of the item is at play but rather if it can sell quick enough so they can make a profit from it.

So going to a pawn shop or LGS to sell your stuff is usually a bad idea unless you need to liquidate your stuff into cash. It's no where near like that show Pawn Stars where they bring in something and talk about half and half profit.

My thought: keep what you have and buy the two items you want. You'll likely transfer some of the accessories over and you can easily sell off the items you don't want. Sell your stuff on the EE and just live through the hassle of getting low balled. Why the rush? You said your time is valuable but that's just an excuse to be idiotic.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I learned a new abbreve today.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Sell them yourself and use the funds to buy what you want.

Separate the optics and accessories of value. “Package deals” rarely bring the full value of the added accessories/optics/etc.

If you have garbage accessories, toss them in the trash. Most buyers can see that there are garbage accessories and they make your item look like it’s trash too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#9]
You are going to lose money unless you split it out individually. Don't like the hassle? Don't expect the money.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Most gun stores come close to completely disregarding the value of any accessories, including scopes/red dots when buying used firearms from their customers. Most shops make more money selling used firearms than they do selling new ones.

IMO, nobody should sell a used rifle with any optic already mounted. Selling them as a separate item is much more profitable. The uninformed have very little faith in homebuilt AR's, even though the barrels are usually several tiers higher than anything you can buy retail.

The beauty of AR's is that the simple purchase of a new barrel and bolt basically renders the owner a virtually new rifle. It is nearly impossible for a private citizen to wear an upper/lower receiver set out. 40 years ago I was afraid to install a new barrel on an AR. My fears were unfounded, but based on my misunderstanding of how headspace was established in this platform and the concern I might screw something up.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had excellent luck with trades at KitteryTrading Post, especially if you are trading towards something else.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Any store is going to give you about half what it's worth if you are lucky.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Concentricity:
As a buyer, I’ve had good experiences with Kittery trading post just over the Maine line. They have a massive inventory and high sales volumes, which I’m sure must be backed with a good amount of intake.
View Quote

I would also check out White Birch Armory in Dover, NH.  They keep a lot of high end stuff like what you're look for and had a decent used inventory last time I was in there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Seem like a bit of a contradiction here where you say you don't want to deal with lowballs, but want to trade everything into a gun store for one low price.
That is going to be the ultimate lowball.

If you must have a single transaction, I'd gunbroker the whole package as one sale; you'll get a quick transaction and likely far more money than any gun store is going to give you.  Only downside would be shipping a bunch of stuff at once.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
Seem like a bit of a contradiction here where you say you don't want to deal with lowballs, but want to trade everything into a gun store for one low price.
That is going to be the ultimate lowball.

If you must have a single transaction, I'd gunbroker the whole package as one sale; you'll get a quick transaction and likely far more money than any gun store is going to give you.  Only downside would be shipping a bunch of stuff at once.
View Quote

Let me clarify here - I don't want to deal with the TIME & HASSLE involved with selling all this stuff off individually, and we all know 80% of the comms involved in these sales are dealing with lowball offers which, frequently disappear immediately if you roll the dice and say "Yes, I will accept your offer of 50% of my ask".

I'm fully aware I will be taking a HUGE loss doing things this way versus selling everything individually. I ran a trading post and I'm fully aware of the backloaded math dealers use when accepting trades. I'm building a house right now and honestly, my time is worth more than what I'll gain if I do this all myself. I could buy the items I want and have $3k-$4k leftover if I sold all this stuff myself. I want to let someone else have that $3k in exchange for my getting this all done in one day, instead of soaking up 2 hours of my day, every day for the next 3 months.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I cannot speak to the prices you will get but Kittery Trading Post is a SIG retailer.  They keep a lot of product in stock and have a desk dedicated to buying firearms.  They have been around a long time and I have had good lucky buying new and used from them at reasonable prices.

White Birch Armory is pretty good to.  I liked it better when the company was small and in a garage bay but the new facility is darn nice and they do keep a lot of good items in stock.  Rent some full auto while there.

I didn't know they bought used but they do like high end so give it a go.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe find a place to do a consignment sale?

An individual buyer might value your upgrades, but an LGS will never admit they’re worth a nickel.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DWPW:

Let me clarify here - I don't want to deal with the TIME & HASSLE involved with selling all this stuff off individually, and we all know 80% of the comms involved in these sales are dealing with lowball offers which, frequently disappear immediately if you roll the dice and say "Yes, I will accept your offer of 50% of my ask"..
View Quote

In economics, that would indicate you are priced too high. You could probably list in EE and get as much or more than a store will give you if you price it right.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By zencarl:
Any store is going to give you about half what it's worth if you are lucky.
View Quote

When I worked for a gun store we quoted people 60% of wholesale most of the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top