Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2024 7:54:14 AM EDT
I've cooked probably 30-40 racks of ribs over the past year.  I'm not sure if anyone can relate but I feel like I nailed the recipe and then lost it and now they suck again!  

Here's the procedure...

Drain/blot the blood, remove the membrane, s&p/smoked paprika/butter/sometimes brown sugar (all of this on both sides).  Wrapped/sealed in foil.  Meat side down on a lower temp kamado.  Left for 1-2 hours until meat reaches beyond 145F.  Removed from foil and both sides painted with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.  Heat turned all the way up so the sauce caramelizes/chars.

I've tried adding apple juice while cooking.  I've tried putting the heat shield in so all the heat is indirect.  I've tried taking the heat shield out.  

Rather than share a completely new recipe, please take a look at mine and identify where things are going wrong.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I always use St Louis style. No loin meat. Too freaking lean.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Emt1581:
I've cooked probably 30-40 racks of ribs over the past year.  I'm not sure if anyone can relate but I feel like I nailed the recipe and then lost it and now they suck again!  

Here's the procedure...

Drain/blot the blood, remove the membrane, s&p/smoked paprika/butter/sometimes brown sugar (all of this on both sides).  Wrapped/sealed in foil.  Meat side down on a lower temp kamado.  Left for 1-2 hours until meat reaches beyond 145F.  Removed from foil and both sides painted with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.  Heat turned all the way up so the sauce caramelizes/chars.

I've tried adding apple juice while cooking.  I've tried putting the heat shield in so all the heat is indirect.  I've tried taking the heat shield out.  

Rather than share a completely new recipe, please take a look at mine and identify where things are going wrong.  

Thanks!
View Quote

Agreed on the white meat. Disagree on using foil to start your cook. I’d do that at the end (if at all). It makes it hard to build up bark and steams the ribs more than smokes them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I season then cover with yellow mustard and brown sugar then smoke with mesquite. No foil.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By adavis:

Agreed on the white meat. Disagree on using foil to start your cook. I’d do that at the end (if at all). It makes it hard to build up bark and steams the ribs more than smokes them.
View Quote

Doesn't keep the moisture in?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]
JMO here.

The ribs go on seasoned, meat side up, and unwrapped for 2 hours.  This is when they take on smoke. Smoker set to 225-250.

Ribs come off after 2 hours.  A large piece of foil is covered in bacon fat and/or butter.  Ribs are placed in foil and lightly sprayed with apple juice.  Ribs are wrapped and placed meat side down. Temp in grill remains the same.

Once they hit 195 internal, ribs are removed from foil.  Ribs are sauced and placed meat side up in the grill for about 30 minutes or until caramelized.

If you're doing competition style ribs, use butcher paper instead of foil during wrap.  This generally produces a less wet rib with a better bark.  Folks like "fall off the bone", but won't win a contest.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You're losing more moisture in the second half of the cook....which is why they're wrapped last, not first.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Ditch the beetus sauce and use real ingredients.  When I have dry food issues I just add a bowl of cheap beer or water to the smoker to create humid smoke environment.  I still get a nice bark but it doesn't dry out the meat.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:43:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#8]
You left out the part where the dryness comes in as your procedure sounds fine.

If you're talking about firm dry meat that's just overcooking.

I use the 3-2-1 method I learned from folks here, three hours in a 215 degree smoker, two hours wrapped in foil ("Texas cheat"), and then the last hour unwrapped swabbing if needed. I've gotten to serving the sauces on the side rather than on the meat and that came from here too. People (the men) really really loved those ribs at my dinner parties and liked sampling the various sauces.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:44:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin76] [#9]
I cheat.

Cut the ribs into 2 or 3 bone segments. Tumble in a zip-lok baggie with dry rub spices. Then they go into a pressure cooker for 20 minutes. After that they are already tender enough that I only have to have them on the grill long enough to get a char going. Then serve. Sauce is for children - I don't use it.

Whenever I go to a cookout people who have had them before always ask/beg me to bring those again.

I can give you my dry rub spice recipe if you're interested.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rob78:
JMO here.

The ribs go on seasoned, meat side up, and unwrapped for 2 hours.  This is when they take on smoke. Smoker set to 225-250.

Ribs come off after 2 hours.  A large piece of foil is covered in bacon fat and/or butter.  Ribs are placed in foil and lightly sprayed with apple juice.  Ribs are wrapped and placed meat side down. Temp in grill remains the same.

Once they hit 195 internal, ribs are removed from foil.  Ribs are sauced and placed meat side up in the grill for about 30 minutes or until caramelized.

If you're doing competition style ribs, use butcher paper instead of foil during wrap.  This generally produces a less wet rib with a better bark.  Folks like "fall off the bone", but won't win a contest.
View Quote

This. Essentially the 3-2-1 method.

https://www.traeger.com/recipes/3-2-1-baby-back-ribs
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't see a temp setting. 225-250 is target temp.

3-2-1 method.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Dry is overcooked.

Cut back on your time and stop using foil at the start of the cook.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:56:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#13]
I recommend that you ditch the wrap during the 1st 2 hours.  I have never heard of anyone doing this.

On most of my baby backs I have done the 2/2/1+ or 3/1/1 at 225°.  Dry rub with zero sugar.

Lately I have been doing 2/1/.5 @ 300°.  I use 60/40 apple juice & apple cider vinegar during the wrap.  Helps tremendously to keep BBs from drying out.

From a previous post in the Smoked Meat thread.

Cooked two racks of Baby Back ribs today.

I wanted them ready by noon so I cooked then using the 2/1/.5 @300 degrees method.

7:30     Light BGE
8:00     Put ribs on BGE
10:00   Pull and wrap ribs with apple juice/apple cider and put back in BGE
11:00   Unwrap ribs and put back in BGE
12:00   Enjoy "pull off the bone" delicious ribs

I've tried several different ways and like most of them.

Low & slow @ 225 uncovered <--- Tends to dry out ribs even when spritzing with AJ/AC
2/2/1 @ 225 & 3/1/1 @ 225 <--- I much prefer the latter version.
100 minutes at 350 (aka Turbo Ribs) <-- I did not like this method.
2/1/.5 @ 300 <--   This will be my go to method most of the time from now on.

I had 5 ribs for lunch and the rest are in the cooler resting.

Edit: Extras/leftovers cut and ready for vacuum sealing.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#14]
3-2-1 method only

Shut her down boys
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#15]
What does “heat turned all the way up” mean? That’s probably the problem.

3-2-1 for spares, 2-2-1 for baby backs is pretty fool proof for decent ribs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Salt the night before. The salt will absorb into the meat, and the salt will hold onto moisture.

If you are wrapping from the start you might as well use your oven. Don't wrap.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:
What does “heat turned all the way up” mean? That’s probably the problem.

3-2-1 for spares, 2-2-1 for baby backs is pretty fool proof for decent ribs.
View Quote

I agree with this.  2-2-1 for baby backs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Baby backs are lean to begin with, they are loin meat which has a low amount of intramsucular fat, use spares/st louis.

Don't start your cook with foil, you blocking the ribs from getting smoke during the time when they should be taking smoke.

Stop hanging up on set times like 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 or whatever, every cut of meat is different and will cook different on different cookers.

Let them cook until you like the color, wrap them with whatever you want (more often than not less is more here), then after 60-90 minutes (dependant on cook temp) start probing through the foil/paper/whatever for tenderness.

When they get the texture you like let them rest for 15-20 minutes, add your sauce if you want and stick them back on for 10 minutes or so to set the sauce.

Slice and eat
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't remove the membrane just checker score it.

Keep it low longer and go all the way to 200ish
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By fargo007:

View Quote

I also do 2-2-1 and I was doing 250 but I will back it off to 225 from now on....a little overcooked at 250 for me
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#21]
JMO here.

View Quote

Yeah something more like this
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:
Baby backs are lean to begin with, they are loin meat which has a low amount of intramsucular fat, use spares/st louis.

Don't start your cook with foil, you blocking the ribs from getting smoke during the time when they should be taking smoke.

Stop hanging up on set times like 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 or whatever, every cut of meat is different and will cook different on different cookers.

Let them cook until you like the color, wrap them with whatever you want (more often than not less is more here), then after 60-90 minutes (dependant on cook temp) start probing through the foil/paper/whatever for tenderness.

When they get the texture you like let them rest for 15-20 minutes, add your sauce if you want and stick them back on for 10 minutes or so to set the sauce.

Slice and eat
View Quote

You can tell when ribs are done by pullback from the bone, and the flex of the rack. But that’s mostly from experience.

If somebody is routinely turning out poor ribs, 2-2-1 is a perfectly reasonable ballpark.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:24:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#23]
JMO here.

View Quote

This is pretty much what I do, especially the bolded part.  3-2-1 method where you cook 3 hours naked, then wrapped for 2 hours, then unwrapped for 1 hour is common.  It is also commonly modified to other numbers like 2-2-1.  The point is cook bare, then wrapped, then sauced and unwrapped.

What I learned from cooking class was that bolded part of the quote.  Your initial stage is cooking some of the fat out.  When you wrap them, you toss in butter or lard or whatever other fat makes you happy to replace what it was that you cooked out.

OP's issue is also common if you cook them too high.  If you can't control your heat very well, or if the ribs are directly over the heat source without a good heat diffuser.   So maybe your smoker is 250F where the probe is, but your food is seeing 275-300F on average.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By gqllc:

I also do 2-2-1 and I was doing 250 but I will back it off to 225 from now on....a little overcooked at 250 for me
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fargo007:

So leave it at 250 and just don't cook them as long?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#25]

You can tell when ribs are done by pullback from the bone, and the flex of the rack. But that’s mostly from experience.

If somebody is routinely turning out poor ribs, 2-2-1 is a perfectly reasonable ballpark.
View All Quotes

Slice and eat

Maybe, maybe not. The better test if you aren't going to probe is the bend test, but probing for tenderness is the best indicator.

As a rough guideline, maybe. But 2-2-1 on a 2.5lb rack is not going to yield the same results as 2-2-1 on a 3.5lb rack, or at different cook temps, on an offset vs a drum vs a kamado, etc.

It's much better to learn how to do it without being bound to times, learn how to read you meat, and make adjustments on the fly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Here's the procedure...

Thanks!

Agree with this.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#27]

You're losing more moisture in the second half of the cook....which is why they're wrapped last, not first.
View Quote

this is good advice IMO.  meat will sweat out faster at the end.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I get the Costco baby back ribs.

Basically do the 3-2-1 method on my pellet smoker, set at 225 or 250* (thermometer on lid reads about 15-20* lower than the setting).

Season SPG. 3 hours smoking. 2 hours wrapped in foil. 1 hour coated with sauce of choice, wrapped back in foil.
Never had a problem.

And one time I put ribs on, but then the wife got a wild hair and we ended up buying a Gladiator, so the ribs were on the smoker for over 7 hours. The bones basically slid out of the meat. A Jenga block would have been more difficult.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Trim off some of the loin meat. Sometimes they come with way to much lean meat on top.

I've been using the hot and fast method lately with good results.
Put the ribs on the smoker at 275 degrees one hour.
Flip the ribs and smoke at 275 for another hour.
Wrap and back on the grill for 45min or until 200 degree internal temp.
This will get you ribs that are not fall off the bone. If you go to 205 degrees they will fall off the bone.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:29:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: G_1759] [#31]
https://amazingribs.com/best-barbecue-ribs-recipe/

Keep the sweet hfcs shit off the ribs also. If you want use this,
https://rufusteague.com/collections/our-products

I like using Applewood with some Apricot wood for the smoke.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#32]
K Joe user.  

For me, 225, 250, or 275 makes no difference except cook time.  I don't think the meat absorbs much smoke after the 1st 2 hours, so its not changing the flavor to cook a bit hotter.  

I never wrap.  Cook on indirect.  Sauce 30 minutes before pulling off.  

Dryness, for me, is only a result of cooking way too long.  K Joe's and BGE sorta units don't have the air flow of most stick burners, so I find the results to be very moist as long as they are not over cooked.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:58:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#33]
Dude you got a lot of this backwards.

the meat side goes up.
No foil
No butter
Cook using indirect heat, slow and low, char BBQ sauce on at the very end.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gqllc] [#34]

View Quote

It depends on the meatiness of the ribs somewhat. My last batch was Sunday. I did 250 for 2-2-1   They were very meaty so I figured the higher temp was better. I stopped at :45 minutes instead of an hour. I felt they were overcooked. Not by a lot but enough to reduce my enjoyment. I also spritz them every 20-30 minutes with half applejuice and half apple cider vinegar mixture. I foil them with stick of butter cut in half across the whole rack, brown sugar, honey and Malcom's vinegar sauce.  So not sure if at 250 I would have done 1:45-1:45-:45    I plan on doing 225 for 2-2-:45 next time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rugerlvr] [#35]
Look up the 3-2-1 method. You should be cooking them bare until 165/stall, then foil wrapping them with butter & honey, or brown sugar, and going until they hit about 203, then rest for at least a half hour.

ALWAYS cook to temperature, not time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Bone side down to shield.

Less time on cooker.

Less heat.

Start with colder meat.

All of those will help.

I don't like foil, you're trapping heat.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:25:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TXBBQGuy] [#37]

It depends on the meatiness of the ribs somewhat. My last batch was Sunday. I did 250 for 2-2-1   They were very meaty so I figured the higher temp was better. I stopped at :45 minutes instead of an hour. I felt they were overcooked. Not by a lot but enough to reduce my enjoyment. I also spritz them every 20-30 minutes with half applejuice and half apple cider vinegar mixture. I foil them with stick of butter cut in half across the whole rack, brown sugar, honey and Malcom's vinegar sauce.  So not sure if at 250 I would have done 1:45-1:45-:45    I plan on doing 225 for 2-2-:45 next time.
View All Quotes

It does depend on the thickness/weight/marbling, that's why I tell people not to get hung up on these "standards" that people like to push.

I personally cook everything 300-325. Cook to color, wrap, cook to tenderness, rest, glaze. I can do 4lb racks of St Louis in 3-3.5 hours, but you always have those outliers that will run a little longer or quicker, that's why being able to adjust on the fly is important

Same goes with temps. Lots of people will tell you "wrap at temp X, then pull at temp Y" and then people do it and don't understand why it didn't work, or wonder why their brisket is tough, or their ribs were mushy, or whatever.

I can look at my briskets when I get ready to wrap them and usually tell within 5 degrees of where they are because I've done hundreds of them, but if they were under or over some magic temp it wouldn't stop me from wrapping them, or cause me to wrap them early even if I didn't like the way they looked.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I always do the 3-2-1 method for ribs, and always use St Louis cut.  

Peel the membrane off then rub and let sit for a bit until the sugar in the rub is liquefied.  Then smoke for 2 hours.  

Then you pull them out, wrap in foil and cook another 2 hours.

Then you take the foil off and sauce them.  Then smoke 1 more hour to firm up the bark and let the sauce absorb some smoke flavor.

This has never failed to make delicious ribs for me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#40]
While many sites out there tell you to use something known as the 3-2-1 method, cooking the ribs in foil for 2 hours is far too long and can make the meat mushy and overcooked, a.k.a. “fall-of-the-bone ribs” which despite what others might tell you is actually a sign that they are overcooked. Instead you should be able to take a bite that pulled easily away from the bone without taking all of the meat with you.
Now read this:
Boil meat too much and water can even dry it out by causing the proteins to contract and squeeze the moisture out of the muscle fibers. This is what is wrong with using foil at the beginning. An authentic smoked BBQ ribs recipe results in meat that tugs off the bone rather than fall off the bone.

3-2-1 or 2-2-1 invest in some good thermometers that read temperature of where the meat is cooking. Keeping the temp ~ @ 225 where the meat is. Read his amazing ribs and learn how to make incredible ribs. https://amazingribs.com/best-barbecue-ribs-recipe/. Read at the part for when to put sauce on, pretty much at the last 15 minutes for caramelizing without burning it. This will give you a more consistent cook each time than a guessing game and coming out different each time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By phatmax:
I always use St Louis style. No loin meat. Too freaking lean.
View Quote
I prefer these too.  More uniformity in every way.  I do cook some mean baby backs when they are on sale.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Obo2:
I don't remove the membrane just checker score it.

Keep it low longer and go all the way to 200ish
View Quote
Heathen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
I get the Costco baby back ribs.

View Quote
Does Costco have magical super pigs or something?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Does Costco have magical super pigs or something?
View Quote

Most grocery stores around here sell Smithfield BB Ribs.  They are almost always on sale for BOGO or $1.99/lb.  They are good, especially at that price.

Sam's club has MUCH better BB Ribs at only a slightly higher price.  Costco BB Ribs are a close second.  Haven't tried BJ's ribs yet.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Most walmarts are carrying prairie fresh natural pork now which is a little pricier, but they have some solid products
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:
Look up the 3-2-1 method. You should be cooking them bare until 165/stall, then foil wrapping them with butter & honey, or brown sugar, and going until they hit about 203, then rest for at least a half hour.

View Quote

I don't think I've ever measured the temp of ribs.  

Flex test and bone pullback.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Yeah, I don't check the temp of any pork.  You can cook it by how it looks and how it moves.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Yeah, I don't check the temp of any pork.  You can cook it by how it looks and how it moves.
View Quote

Butts and brisket absolutely get cooked to temp, at least for me.   Beef ribs too.   Just never have with pork ribs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

IMO, the bend and amount of bone visible is good enough.  The temp only comes into play if you're looking for firmer competition rib.  I like fall off the bone just fine, makes it easier to eat too, but that isn't a good thing if you're in a cook-off.

Steak is the only thing I don't use a thermometer on.  The firmness tells you exactly where it's at.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top