Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2024 1:21:15 PM EDT
Say it's a nice front entry door. Roughly the top half is glass. Or even has side glass panels.

What's the point of installing a keyed entry door handle and a deadbolt?

If someone wants in they'll just break the glass.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Will broken glass set off an alarm?  Some systems have those sensors
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Locks only keep honest people honest, and make unmotivated dishonest people move on.

There are hurricane-rated glass-front doors that will withstand even a well-motivated Marine trying to kick them in.  

Even so, the window a few feet away was able to be smashed in.

So let's go back to "locks only keep honest people honest."
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:35:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: panthermark] [#4]
We have a nice front door like that.  Top half is glass, plus a transom and full sidelights.

We have a deadbolt because the front door handle does not have a lock.  Thus it is only way to look the door.

I'm also assuming a lot of doors come already cut with a hole for a deadbolt.

Sorta like this.  Note the lack of a keyhole/lock on the main door handle.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Yup, when someone broke into my dad's house after he had passed, then went through the sliding glass door in the back, not the front door.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hunter8282:
Say it's a nice front entry door. Roughly the top half is glass. Or even has side glass panels.

View Quote

@Hunter8282

Thank you!

My ex-wife wanted a solid steel front door to prevent break-ins,
but insisted on all-glass French doors just around the corner.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:39:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#7]
Id be more worried about Picks and Bump Keys. When your dealing with people who will force a door, break glass, snap locks, etc - there's areas you can harden (some with glass) but there's an awful lot of ways to gain access if desired.

Take a look at the sophisticated and not so sophisticated ways SATGs gain entry. They defeat some pretty decent security. But often much of that security has been compromised by the home owner, or insufficient planning (failure of recognition) at build or installation.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Id be more worried about Picks and Bump Keys. When your dealing with people who will force a door, break glass, snap locks, etc - there's areas you can harden (some with glass) but there's an awful lot of ways to gain access if desired.

Take a look at the sophisticated and not so sophisticated ways SATGs gain entry.
View Quote

I used to have lock picks, and did okay with them.

I saw a demo of bump keys... they're awesome!

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Security is just making your place harder to break into than the next house down the street, or appear to be wholly unworthy of the time a criminal would have to spend getting in.

Nothing exterior facing on your house is unbreakable. Everything can be accessed. Just depends on the determination of the person, and what tools they're bringing to the game.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

What is the point of a lock if they can be picked in less than 30 seconds?  Most locks people have on their doors can be picked in seconds.  Also if you do not reinforce your door most doors can be kicked in within one or two good solid kicks.  The majority of homes have a door that is easily defeated with a pick or kick in seconds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]
the locks on my front door are for your protection

that said you can harden the glass, and I looked into it for mine as I have 2 long windows flanking my front door. But the even if I put fancy ass film in them, the support is too weak to stop much of anything. All locks do is keep honest people honest AND add layers, which adds time to my response. Might cause the door to need to be kicked a few times instead of once. Broken glass sets of my alarm. All of those slow entry down and give me more response time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of lights, a couple dogs and trip alarms are what you want. Someone enters the perimeter all hell breaks loose!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Better chance of getting the shooting ruled justified.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

Take a look at the sophisticated and not so sophisticated ways SATGs gain entry.

High Security locks can mitigate some of that - Medeco or Mul-T-Lock have some options. It's all about layers. Make an intruder take time, make them exposed, make them deal with distance, barriers, alarms and dogs. But don't believe they will have qualms about defeating any of these beside noise and time. Then everyone in the household needs to enable all security they defeat for entry.

Then they climb on the roof, smash a skylight, and rope ladder in and out

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#15]
around here they simply mule kick the door. weakest point is the framed entry. the way to protect that if you are at home is with something that blocks the door at the bottom all the way across. having glass or not is sorta beside the point.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Because Stone Cold says so, that's why.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

keep an honest man honest and all that

real thieves will get in regardless
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have glass in and around doors it's recommended that you get a deadbolt that is keyed both sides, specifically to prevent just smashing the glad and turning the lever.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Other than for insurance reasons, no.

I had to put dead bolts in all the exterior doors for the insurance discount when I bought the house.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
If you have glass in and around doors it's recommended that you get a deadbolt that is keyed both sides, specifically to prevent just smashing the glad and turning the lever.
View Quote

Years ago, I watched one of those home make over shows.

They had a dead bolt that was keyed on both sides. But the interior key was shaped like a regular knob.

It functioned and looked like a normal dead bolt.

I can't find them anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Makes it a bit harder to gain access.

Glass break wakes up dogs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Side lights are 1/2 tempered glass $$$$
Frame of door and sidelights are 2X6 old growth oak.
Steel door that opens outward….
Yes the pins and hinges are exposed but a small bead of weld on the bottom of the hinges makes it so you have to cut them out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Lock only keeps an honest person out - with the lack of quality in locks along with prevalence of lockpicking these days its the easy way in.

Also, lots of bypass tools too.

Breaking a window can be a hazard, make a noise, leave a definite tell-tale...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

What is the point of a lock if they can be picked in less than 30 seconds?  Most locks people have on their doors can be picked in seconds.  Also if you do not reinforce your door most doors can be kicked in within one or two good solid kicks.  The majority of homes have a door that is easily defeated with a pick or kick in seconds.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

Entirely true, tho there's many things large and small that can be done. Door jamb reinforcement retrofit to smart design at build.

Attachment Attached File

There's some serious door products out there, many European tho

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Because it will make them break the glass.

Then they have to step through it or reach around it to unlock.

The dude that did that at my brother's place left his fingerprints, in blood, along with shoe prints, also in blood, pretty much everywhere.

The crime scene tech literally laughed out loud when he saw it.

Sure, there's more secure options, but a deadbolt on a glass door is way more preferable than no lock or a lock that's defeatable
with the screwdriver or slip-joint pliers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Security measures, other than personnel, are simply there to take more time and create more noise. Even a solid door, no glass, with a deadbolt is easily compromised. The issue is the amount of time and sound it takes to do so
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Those glass panels can be stronger than you think.  Not saying they are, and my experience is limited, but let me tell you about the 1 time I've had to break one.

Was going home to visit my folks, as I pull into the drive I see smoke billowing out of the neighbor's 2nd floor.  Run in my folk's house, tell em to call 911, then run over.  House is locked, so I try to kick the door in, big nope.  It's got glass panels on the side, so I grab a piece of firewood and try to break it.  Nope.  Neighbor shows up and tries...nope.  We spot a rock in the landscaping, and finally after about 10 hard hits, the pane breaks, and we get in and start pulling out as much irreplaceable stuff as we can.

If I'd been prepared, it would have been easy.  But if you think about it, if you're prepared, entry into any house is pretty easy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#28]
that settles it.  i'm buying a house with no windows.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#29]
The hurricane spec/impact resistant glass is pretty resilient stuff. You might shatter it but it stays in place. All my doors and windows have the stuff so i don’t need to board up for hurricanes. The fact that it’s almost impossible to kick thorough is gravy
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
Security measures, other than personnel, are simply there to take more time and create more noise. Even a solid door, no glass, with a deadbolt is easily compromised. The issue is the amount of time and sound it takes to do so
View Quote

Sheriff: Chilean gangs are back targeting high-end homes for burglaries in Oakland County

There's longer and better vids out there out there, but this illustrates the type of entries many of these SATG do. They target certain demos/zips/neighborhood where the payoff is high. They are skill and knowledge variable, but they are mostly pros. Some very sophisticated. Surveil, plan, act, escape. Normally while people are away for holidays.

Your local door checker or junkie/methead is more opportunistic. There's some in between.

Everybody counts on dogs. Dogs are excellent alarms and do deter some level of burgler/thief. But for serious they are a speed bump, even if territorial. A slightly higher speed bump if poison proofed and in number. The shortcoming is when most people holiday, the dog is boarded.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:51:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: txgp17] [#31]
All my door glass is either laminated or has 3M security film on it.  Break it all you want, but you'll need a saw to make a hole in it.
View Quote
And if you have a fire and to need to exit in a panic and/or dark and smoke filled condition, you'll die.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Because hopefully they are stupid

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#33]
It's all security theater in the end.

Having dogs is the best way to deter would be robbers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
Security is just making your place harder to break into than the next house down the street, or appear to be wholly unworthy of the time a criminal would have to spend getting in.

Nothing exterior facing on your house is unbreakable. Everything can be accessed. Just depends on the determination of the person, and what tools they're bringing to the game.
View Quote

A ryobi sawzall will break into most houses, regardless of glass or deadbolts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By wildearp:

A ryobi sawzall will break into most houses, regardless of glass or deadbolts.
View Quote

Exactly.

I lol at all the hardened, steel core door, extended reinforced hinges, kick-proof locks and tumblers, etc etc etc, when the wall right next to the door is plastic siding, a sheet of plywood, some 2x4 studs, and drywall.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Go ahead, break that glass on my front door in the middle of the night and see if the response is different than when someone has the key and opens it the legit way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Hurricane impact windows foil thieves

Posting this for two reasons: 1st Hurricane glass is no joke.  2nd. Reporters
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#38]
What’s the point of even having a door with a glass panel?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By txgp17:
All my door glass is either laminated or has 3M security film on it.  Break it all you want, but you'll need a saw to make a hole in it.And if you have a fire and to need to exit in a panic and/or dark and smoke filled condition, you'll die.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By txgp17:
All my door glass is either laminated or has 3M security film on it.  Break it all you want, but you'll need a saw to make a hole in it.
And if you have a fire and to need to exit in a panic and/or dark and smoke filled condition, you'll die.
Nah, he'll just break the glass in the door for egress. You know, "In case of fire, break glass."

Security laminate doesn't strengthen the glass where it goes into the frame. That is where it should be attacked.

Many eons ago, I worked for a LGS. Security Laminate on all glass. Bollards (not bollocks) around front door. Thieves punched small hole in glass, inserted hook, then pulled entire pane of glass out with their car. Security film worked against us in that rare situation.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Double cylinder deadbolt
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:14:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#41]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
What's the point of even having a door with a glass panel?
View Quote
What's the point of having windows?  

People have glass doors because they look nice and you can look...through them.  The entire "security" of a house is compromised by having 1 glass window.  So at that point, everything just becomes weatherproofing more than anything.  If someone wants in, they can easily do so through that weakest point.

Saying "I don't want a glass door because people can break in" is pretty dumb when there are 15 other glass filled holes in the structure.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
What’s the point of even having a door with a glass panel?
View Quote

Why not?  Do you live in a house with no windows?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Concerning a deadbolt, there are the types that require a key on both sides. So if the low level criminal thinks to break the glass, reach in and flip the deadbolt, there is that surprise.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

This is what I installed at my vacation home. Double
Keyed deadbolts. Layers, a monitored alarm, lights and cameras make my place very unattractive for thieves. Well, that plus the 8000' altitude.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#45]
get 3m hurricane film on the glass and nobody will be breaking it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#46]
the illusion of security.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Um, there are windows all around the house.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Deadbolts that are keyed on both sides are often a code violation. What happens if there is a fire? Will 3 yr old Jonny or 97 yr old granny unlock the door in time?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By panthermark:
We have a nice front door like that.  Top half is glass, plus a transom and full sidelights.

We have a deadbolt because the front door handle does not have a lock.  Thus it is only way to look the door.

I'm also assuming a lot of doors come already cut with a hole for a deadbolt.

Sorta like this.  Note the lack of a keyhole/lock on the main door handle.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stevewilliamskitchens.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F09%2Ffront-door-with-sidelights-3.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=6be2eb3e53494a497761940a1896e218190a5accd54c8b3dec75cbea46b09758&ipo=images

View Quote

Our door is similar to this.

I installed a deadbolt to keep our dogs IN.  Not sure how they opened it, but we couldnt have them out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Entirely true, tho there's many things large and small that can be done. Door jamb reinforcement retrofit to smart design at build.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1739_jpeg-3208026.JPG

There's some serious door products out there, many European tho

View Quote

That looks great. What happens when the 3/4” screws holding the strike plate pull out of the 2x4? How cheap is the lumber the builder used? Security is often lacking in modern construction.

I was surprised to see plastic sheets used on my outside walls. Supposedly more energy efficient than zip board but adds noting to the structure. I am glad the house is brick on three sides. Do I g the back would add almost $4k and would not change the walls on the porch. The extra cost didn’t seem worth it with 4 big windows on the wall.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top