User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:22:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AZNetEng:
I don't... I carry purely for self defense. Yes, our decisions can and should be based on our individual experiences and what is logical to us.

There is some universal logic to be considered as well that I believe is being overlooked or undervalued. But to be honest, I don't think that most of the women choosing the bear are actually applying logic at all.

View Quote
Impossible.  Women always put logic first.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:49:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#3]
Originally Posted By Naamah:

It’s a random man. Random. Not random American man. Not random man of any particular ethnicity, economic, or social background.

Random man.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:
Originally Posted By xd341:
Women are around men fairly constantly....I would think...in western society.   You should be at a point where you can logically place the risk from men in the proper context.  You obviously aren't.    If men were highly dangerous

We’re also taught that it’s inadvisable to place ourselves in situations where we are alone with men we don’t know are safe. We’re taught that bad things can happen if we do so. We’re told that we should have known better if we do so and something bad happens. If men don’t have the potential to be dangerous, why do women need to be that cautious?

I would say most men in America are great. I’ve spent a lot of time around great American men. But as population demographics and cultural influences shift, the percentage of great American men will go down. And the sad fact is that if you look around the world at large, men are a huge threat to women in many (if not most) of the geographic areas of the world. And it seems like the powers that be are eager to import more men from the areas of the world where they are the most problematic. That will increase the chances that the man you encounter in the woods will pose a very real threat. It’s not that all men are dangerous. It’s that some men are very, very dangerous, much more dangerous than the bear, and you have to be prepared to find those men even if what you’re hoping to find is the friendly flannel-wearing lumberjack with impeccable manners and a savior complex.

Wait a minute. Is the "random man" in this scenario a random man from the world or a random man from the US? That would definitely changes things.

If a guy from India or the ME got pulled, you're definitely getting graped.

It’s a random man. Random. Not random American man. Not random man of any particular ethnicity, economic, or social background.

Random man.

Well hell, you've got a much better chance with the bear.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Torqued:
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/man-or-bear-in-the-woods-question

Man or Bear in the Woods Question or Would You Rather Be Stuck in the Woods With a Man or a Bear? refers to a hypothetical question offering a choice between being stuck in the woods with a random man or a bear. Stemming from a viral TikTok by user @callmebkbk, the question was further promoted by a street interview video by @screenshothq in April 2024. With an apparent majority of women responding that they would choose a bear in the hypothetical situation, the question spawned viral reactions and debates on social media, with users arguing over the validity of both options and about gender relations.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103248/IMG_2047-3205359.jpg

View Quote

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By taliv:

Wait are we still talking about bears?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By taliv:
Originally Posted By XDONX3:

If it's brown, lay down. If it's black, fight back.

Wait are we still talking about bears?

lol
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Pursang250:

I'm pretty sure I see what you did there.
I think.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pursang250:
Originally Posted By skid2041:

This horrible! Don't they know that bears are the cause of 76% of all wilderness assaults and violence? Even thought they only make uo about 13% of the total wilderness predator population?

What are they thinking?

I'm pretty sure I see what you did there.
I think.

I seent it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:52:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grunteled] [#7]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Of course men have the potential to be dangerous, so do women, so do plastic grocery bags apparently.  

No one in this thread has ever said otherwise. The thing that makes women "choosing the bear" look really bad is the apparent inability to properly and logically asses the relative risk. It speaks to your ability to make decisions and frankly reinforces some unflattering stereotypes about the ability of women to separate emotions and logic.

You have put that on full display in this thread.

You'll keep on keeping on, which is fine. You are persistent. You are free to hang out with the critters, in your oddly busy woods full of men more dangerous than bears.

I hope you stay safe.
View Quote

I guess after reading more of the thread I kinda come down here.  In a way it's an insight into their thinking that, as you say, sorta solidifies some of the stereotypes but also I guess just in differences in how you interpret things too.

If asked about encountering another man in the woods my thoughts do not take me to him creeping into my campsite at night, or prowling around my land.  My mind goes to just running into a another guy out there which has happened quite a few times and they have all been positive experiences.  It seems the vast majority of women go to a very different scenario in their minds and so we are left here with a gulf in thinking.  In their interpretation of the question the guy is 'creepy' and thus threatening.  The preference for bear seems to maybe be that the bear is more likely to run away than a creepy man.  In thinking on that a little I'm not sure it's as bad as it looks on the outside, or that it's being fanned in here by some parties.  I tell my daughter not to get too comfortable in situations where she is around one or more stranger guys.  Not to be fearful in my case, but to have your guard up and try to avoid being all alone in such a case.

So I think it's not as much a statement women are making about all men but it's now become us vs them and the herd will stick together.  More division, more mistrust, more chaos so the typical groups are running with it.  Tik-Toc.  Never fails to deliver something dumb that makes us worse.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Hiking a trail in Northern NM, San de cristos,  years ago, I hear a commotion in the brush on a small hill side, black bear cub rolls out of the brush 10 feet in front of me.

We both scared the shit out of each other.  The cub was scared because...big human wearing pack etc.  The human (me) was scared because the little bastard was making scared noises and I had no idea where momma was.

My sphincter could have made diamonds..I unassed the area with a quickness.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rustler:

Then you haven't walked up on some cubs and a momma bear.

Hiking a trail in Northern NM, San de cristos,  years ago, I hear a commotion in the brush on a small hill side, black bear cub rolls out of the brush 10 feet in front of me.

We both scared the shit out of each other.  The cub was scared because...big human wearing pack etc.  The human (me) was scared because the little bastard was making scared noises and I had no idea where momma was.

Yeah that'll do it!  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Yeah that'll do it!  
View All Quotes

Yeah that'll do it!  

LOL.  Same here.  In AR hiking and camping.  I had set up my hammock and was getting stuff put away and a group had walked by on the trail to the next campsite with a black lab.  A while later I'm getting my stove setup and I see a black animal come out of the brush near the trail and get a little annoyed thinking that if they are going to already be camping close by then they could at least keep their dog in their camp.  I turn around to see it and it stands up on hind legs.... "Oh fuck"....   So I give the whole "Get out of here bear" shout, which stops all activity in the next campsite too.  I shout again and it's brother or sister also stands up.  

Now about this moment it dawns on me that those are cubs, not momma and I remember feeling the twinges in my back.  Now mom stands up and is a bit more than triple the size of the cubs standing up.   The closest cub bolts up the hill, the second one follows along and mom sorta stares me down a moment and runs up the hill after them.  From there it was just a view bear asses running up the hill.

I kinda stood there, chastizing myself for having left my pistol over on my pack but when hiking and with a backpack I don't wear a separate belt usually.  Had I needed it though I'd have been fucked.  She was past me and up the hill in just a couple seconds.  The looks on the camper's faces up the trail was hilarious.  20 mins later they decided to just hike on the remaining 3 miles to their car.  That was a happy outcome.  No neighbors for the night next to the creek.

I know I could have shit diamonds when that big ass blackie stood up and was definitely taller than I was.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:51:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Number_Six] [#11]
You don't have to be crazy to do this, but it sure helps! (Bugs Bunny)

Rusian model Alla Bruletova posing with bear (facebook video)
(it prompts for login, but you can just press enter to open)
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

I find it humorous that, amidst all the post trying to psychoanalyze women and call them irrational and emotional, posts like this keep popping up and are just... accepted.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:
Originally Posted By rustypigeon:
Originally Posted By rustypigeon:

We’re also taught that it’s inadvisable to place ourselves in situations where we are alone with men we don’t know are safe.

Yet so many women will hookup with a random Chad and let him pump semen into her vagina.

I guess it's ok if he looks good enough... right?

Or other stupid situations like going to clubs or parties full of horny men and getting drunk.  Smart women don't do that, and Naamah probably doesn't either, but a lot of women do.

One thing is for certain, you can't make assumptions of every female based on the actions of some.

The problem is many women can't do the same for men, and would choose to go hang out with a bear instead.

I can almost guarantee you that each of those women who choose the bear also had a random hookup or two.

I can almost guarantee you that if asked to choose between a black man or a bear, they would have choose the black man because they want to appear virtuous to the camera.

"Yeah I have herpes from some random stranger I fucked in the bathroom but I would rather come across a bear than random stranger... but if it was a black man that would be ok because I am not racist!" <-- women logic

I find it humorous that, amidst all the post trying to psychoanalyze women and call them irrational and emotional, posts like this keep popping up and are just... accepted.

Still the post has some truth to it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
I don't... I carry purely for self defense. Yes, our decisions can and should be based on our individual experiences and what is logical to us.

There is some universal logic to be considered as well that I believe is being overlooked or undervalued. But to be honest, I don't think that most of the women choosing the bear are actually applying logic at all.

None I've ever met... and I'm 58. So I'm going with rare as unicorns.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Lug1:
I think some of the women choosing the bear are lying through their teeth hipsters who would absolutely not choose the bear if it came down to it.  I think they drop, cry, and suck their thumbs at the sight of a bear.  But that is just some of them.  I am sure 1-2 two of them would actually stick to their guns.  

But repping woke hispterisms are what's really important hear.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lug1:

I think some of the women choosing the bear are lying through their teeth hipsters who would absolutely not choose the bear if it came down to it.  I think they drop, cry, and suck their thumbs at the sight of a bear.  But that is just some of them.  I am sure 1-2 two of them would actually stick to their guns.  

But repping woke hispterisms are what's really important hear.
As someone else Posted on the next page, it appears to me that it's become a M v. F thing. It's unfortunate but it seems to be the way of most things these days. All conflict based, even the "thought" exercises.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#16]
You're in GA...so black bears and generally people running in the odds are of a similar hue?  You viewpoint is geographically limited.  Brown bear will for sure right now see wtf is up and have a snack.  Treadwell's girlfriend might disagree with you. But hey,  I'm the angry white male they all say I am and i cant be shocked over the response.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ARDunstan:
The majority of women in the US also voted for bill clinton, obama, hilary clinton and biden.

That says a lot.
View Quote

and somehow all of this fucked up shit now is not their fault...
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Kihn:

and somehow all of this fucked up shit now is not their fault...
View Quote
They voted for it, but it's our fault.

If we weren't so evil, they wouldn't have chosen the bear...and gotten eaten.

Yep, that tracks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#19]
They voted for it, but it's our fault.

If we weren't so evil, they wouldn't have chosen the bear...and gotten eaten.

Yep, that tracks.
View Quote

Utterly unhinged that women might want to meet the bear instead of this.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#20]
It's utterly illogical.  If men were more dangerous than bears you'd be dead by now.  You encounter men daily. Men are 4x times more dangerous to other men, and we don't chose the bear.  Using things like this horrifying crime as an exemplar of men is letting emotion over ride logic.  Like fearing air travel.

We can go round and round..again...the bottom line is this meme does a disservice to women. It doesn't make the point you want it to make.  It makes the good men (and we do exist) question the sanity of all women.  Which I think was probably the point.  We need to bridge the widening gap between men and women not make it worse.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#21]
You know what ? This question just may be a simple litmus test for a first date.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
You know what ? This question just may be a simple litmus test for a first date.
View Quote
and there it is.

I'm not calling you out, of course men will think that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#23]
My wife says I snore like a bear….So, she can have both. 😉
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#24]
It's utterly illogical.  If men were more dangerous than bears you'd be dead by now.  You encounter men daily. Men are 4x times more dangerous to other men, and we don't chose the bear.  Using things like this horrifying crime as an exemplar of men is letting emotion over ride logic.  Like fearing air travel.

We can go round and round..again...the bottom line is this meme does a disservice to women. It doesn't make the point you want it to make.  It makes the good men (and we do exist) question the sanity of all women.  Which I think was probably the point.  We need to bridge the widening gap between men and women not make it worse.
View All Quotes

When we don’t get to pre screen (observe behavior, watch interactions with others, have conversations, etc.) we have to prepare for the worst. A lot of men don’t choose the bear because they believe they have a fighting chance against the man. Women don’t, because we don’t (pardoning weapons, of course). That is logic.

As to bridging the widening gap, I don’t see you in threads where women are being called children and psychopaths and so forth trying to tell the men in there to quit making the widening gap worse with their divisiveness. Is it only women who should be building that bridge?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Ladies of Arfcom, please read this and deep process it.

We good guys are legitimately on your side.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By macman37:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macman37:

And good guys are deeply appreciated. Good guys are worth their weight in gold. They are fantastic. They are an essential part of civilization, and they drive society to greatness.

The bear question isn’t about meeting the good guys. It’s about being prepared for what can happen when you meet a bad guy. It’s about avoiding the worst a bad man can do. It’s about not knowing if a random guy is good or bad because there’s no opportunity to prescreen. If the default setting is “most people are good, so I don’t need to worry about ever encountering a bad guy” no one would ever strap on a gun, and everyone would be shocked if a drunk girl was assaulted at a party. But we do strap on guns, and when a drunk girl gets raped at a party, everyone says she should have known better than to put herself in that situation (aka avoided making herself vulnerable around men who couldn’t be trusted).
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#27]

And good guys are deeply appreciated. Good guys are worth their weight in gold. They are fantastic. They are an essential part of civilization, and they drive society to greatness.

The bear question isn't about meeting the good guys. It's about being prepared for what can happen when you meet a bad guy. It's about avoiding the worst a bad man can do. It's about not knowing if a random guy is good or bad because there's no opportunity to prescreen. If the default setting is "most people are good, so I don't need to worry about ever encountering a bad guy" no one would ever strap on a gun, and everyone would be shocked if a drunk girl was assaulted at a party. But we do strap on guns, and when a drunk girl gets raped at a party, everyone says she should have known better than to put herself in that situation (aka avoided making herself vulnerable around men who couldn't be trusted).
View Quote
What you are failing to grasp is the judgement, the reasoning, the risk assessment that you are proposing is all fucked up.  You are taking the idea that only 98% or 95% or whatever of men aren't rapists or murderers and equating that to "bears are safer".

Then saying "well women believe that"  then calling it "logic" then getting upset when men say unkind things about women relating to a lack of logic.  

What men are saying is that we believe you believe it, but just because you believe it really hard, doesn't make it logic or true.

What I'm saying in particular is that this meme plays on very deep seated beliefs on both sides, almost like it was designed to cause division. Which probably isn't an accident.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#28]
It is the best of the possible outcomes for all parties.

The bear gets an easy meal

The woman gets to be portrayed as a victim

The man gets to avoid a shrew with no self preservation
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#29]
What you are failing to grasp is the judgement, the reasoning, the risk assessment that you are proposing is all fucked up.  You are taking the idea that only 98% or 95% or whatever of men aren't rapists or murderers and equating that to "bears are safer".

Then saying "well women believe that"  then calling it "logic" then getting upset when men say unkind things about women relating to a lack of logic.  

What men are saying is that we believe you believe it, but just because you believe it really hard, doesn't make it logic or true.

What I'm saying in particular is that this meme plays on very deep seated beliefs on both sides, almost like it was designed to cause division. Which probably isn't an accident.
View All Quotes

The bear question isn't about meeting the good guys. It's about being prepared for what can happen when you meet a bad guy. It's about avoiding the worst a bad man can do. It's about not knowing if a random guy is good or bad because there's no opportunity to prescreen. If the default setting is "most people are good, so I don't need to worry about ever encountering a bad guy" no one would ever strap on a gun, and everyone would be shocked if a drunk girl was assaulted at a party. But we do strap on guns, and when a drunk girl gets raped at a party, everyone says she should have known better than to put herself in that situation (aka avoided making herself vulnerable around men who couldn't be trusted).

Again with the huzzah.

And agree, this is unnecessary division, probably intentional.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 30calTBLkid:

If she picks the bear, "what a moron!", if she picks the man, "what a slut!".
View Quote
huh?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

No, that’s your interpretation. We are not saying that bears are a better choice than all men or any man. We are saying that bears are a better option than the worst men, and we have to make that choice based on the worst men because that is a possibility and we can’t prescreen against it.

You continuing to insist that we’re saying bears are better than all men is deliberate mischaracterization. And that seems to indicate that you want to be offended rather than just accepting that the women aren’t basing their judgement off you in particular.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:18:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PlaneJane] [#34]
Originally Posted By Sleepym4:
Shit’s getting weird out there. This seems the last place of normalcy.
View Quote
Sweet Jesus, ARF/GD normal?  I only come here because it’s a place to observe the antics of some of the most socially maladaptive men in free American society from a place of relative safety.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#35]
There were more pro man than pro bear ladies in this thread.
View Quote

Of course there were.  That wasn't my point.  My point is that despite their choice.  Most women aren't "pro man" in general.

More of "tolerate man".  The question of "man or bear" only serves to show what level that discontent rises to.

Does it override what should be a healthy fear and respect for one of nature's most dominant predators.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#36]

I used to think of you as one of the rare ones that had common sense and critical thinking skills. Thank you for correcting me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#37]

No, that's your interpretation. We are not saying that bears are a better choice than all men or any man. We are saying that bears are a better option than the worst men, and we have to make that choice based on the worst men because that is a possibility and we can't prescreen against it.

You continuing to insist that we're saying bears are better than all men is deliberate mischaracterization. And that seems to indicate that you want to be offended rather than just accepting that the women aren't basing their judgement off you in particular.
View Quote
Its not a deliberate mischaracterization, it's a proposition inherent in the scenario.  It's a random bear, and a random man.   I fully recognize that all men are not as awesome as I am. (sarcasm)  But all bears are wild predatory animals.  You encounter men at a rate 10,000x higher than you encounter bears yet you are still alive.   If you encountered bears with the proximity, frequency and opportunity that you encounter men, you'd be better off with the men.

The purpose of the meme is to suggest that men are more dangerous than bears and drive an emotional point.   That's simply not supported by the facts.  We compare relative risk on a rate basis explicitly to remove the various biases we all have.  There aren't 4 billion bears and we don't share our society with them so of course the absolute number of incidents is going to favor the bears. But bears and Bengal tigers (and particularly grumpy Orcas) are the only animals ever observed to intentionally stalk and predate on humans.  A hungry bear, depending on species, sees you like you see tacos.  There are very few men who have ever seen other humans like tacos...I mean they exist but I don't leap into the arms of wild animals because some tribe ate uncle Boise.

Hmm...tacos...

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:28:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xd341] [#38]
Originally Posted By PlaneJane:
Sweet Jesus, ARF/GD normal?  I only come here because it's a place to observe the antics of some of the most socially maladaptive men in American society from a place of relative safety.
View Quote
So we're like a zoo for you?  

Are there bears?

you know you love us.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Its not a deliberate mischaracterization, it's a proposition inherent in the scenario.  It's a random bear, and a random man.   I fully recognize that all men are not as awesome as I am. (sarcasm)  But all bears are wild predatory animals.  You encounter men at a rate 10,000x higher than you encounter bears yet you are still alive.   If you encountered bears with the proximity, frequency and opportunity that you encounter men, you'd be better off with the men.

The purpose of the meme is to suggest that men are more dangerous than bears and drive an emotional point.   That's simply not supported by the facts.  We compare relative risk on a rate basis explicitly to remove the various biases we all have.  There aren't 4 billion bears and we don't share our society with them so of course the absolute number of incidents is going to favor the bears. But bears and Bengal tigers (and particularly grumpy Orcas) are the only animals ever observed to intentionally stalk and predate on humans.  A hungry bear, depending on species, sees you like you see tacos.  There are very few men who have ever seen other humans like tacos...I mean they exist but I don't leap into the arms of wild animals because some tribe ate uncle Boise.

Hmm...tacos...

View All Quotes

No, that's your interpretation. We are not saying that bears are a better choice than all men or any man. We are saying that bears are a better option than the worst men, and we have to make that choice based on the worst men because that is a possibility and we can't prescreen against it.

You continuing to insist that we're saying bears are better than all men is deliberate mischaracterization. And that seems to indicate that you want to be offended rather than just accepting that the women aren't basing their judgement off you in particular.

Hmm...tacos...

The frequency with which bears are encountered doesn’t matter.

The point is that the worst a bear can do is not worse than what a bad man can do in the opinion of many women. You may have a difference of opinion on that. You may think it’s better to be strangled, raped, and then murdered rather than just killed outright, and you are free to hold that opinion. Plenty of women hold a different opinion. Anything a bear can do, a man can do. But a man has the option to do a hell of a lot of things a bear wouldn’t even dream of.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Hmm...tacos...

View All Quotes

Hmm...tacos...

Vast majority of bears just want to be left alone and aren't going to attack you if you keep your distance and don't provoke them.
Yeah maybe bears have been known to stalk humans on occasion but most of the time they don't nor do they attack.
You mentioned Bengal tigers I'd be far far more worried about finding a tiger out in the woods.
After thinking about this a little bit I can kind of understand why some women would choose the bear.
Seeing a bear in the woods is not that big of a deal if you just keep your distance and move away from it, I can understand what naamah is saying that while most men are decent the worst men out there is going to be a much bigger problem than the average bear.

I'd rather see the bear myself just because I think they're cool and I'd enjoy seeing one. Seeing another man in the woods isn't really a notable experience.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#41]
The problem with this discussion is that it's a false dichotomy, and worse, one designed to make us do this (discuss each other and reduce our trust in one another).

Hey would you like to say hi to a democrat or be dipped in a river of hungry piranhas?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Are there bears?

you know you love us.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PlaneJane:
Sweet Jesus, ARF/GD normal?  I only come here because it's a place to observe the antics of some of the most socially maladaptive men in American society from a place of relative safety.

Are there bears?

you know you love us.

Kinda.

Only cute little koalas.

Sometimes more than others.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:

I used to think of you as one of the rare ones that had common sense and critical thinking skills. Thank you for correcting me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ronin72:

If your wife/daughter/sister’s car broke down in bear country, would you advise her to stay with the car until you or a prescreened person (tow truck, police, roadside assistance, etc) showed up, or would you advise her to get into the first man’s car that passed by?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

Vast majority of bears just want to be left alone and aren't going to attack you if you keep your distance and don't provoke them.
Yeah maybe bears have been known to stalk humans on occasion but most of the time they don't nor do they attack.
You mentioned Bengal tigers I'd be far far more worried about finding a tiger out in the woods.
After thinking about this a little bit I can kind of understand why some women would choose the bear.
Seeing a bear in the woods is not that big of a deal if you just keep your distance and move away from it, I can understand what naamah is saying that while most men are decent the worst men out there is going to be a much bigger problem than the average bear.

I'd rather see the bear myself just because I think they're cool and I'd enjoy seeing one. Seeing another man in the woods isn't really a notable experience.
View Quote
Here's a secret...most men just want to be left alone, and we aren't going to attack you even if you get up close and provoke us.   It happens a million times a day in the US.

Comparing the worst man in society to the average bear isn't a logical way to asses risk.  Of course the outliers are bad, that's why they are outliers.  You have to compare a random bear to a random man, at a high level random can be thought of as average.  Anything else is emotions, not logic.  

As to the point of a man being capable of worse than a bear, yeah I can see that, that's a valid judgement call. Doesn't change the relative risk.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Grunteled:

LOL.  Same here.  In AR hiking and camping.  I had set up my hammock and was getting stuff put away and a group had walked by on the trail to the next campsite with a black lab.  A while later I'm getting my stove setup and I see a black animal come out of the brush near the trail and get a little annoyed thinking that if they are going to already be camping close by then they could at least keep their dog in their camp.  I turn around to see it and it stands up on hind legs.... "Oh fuck"....   So I give the whole "Get out of here bear" shout, which stops all activity in the next campsite too.  I shout again and it's brother or sister also stands up.  

Now about this moment it dawns on me that those are cubs, not momma and I remember feeling the twinges in my back.  Now mom stands up and is a bit more than triple the size of the cubs standing up.   The closest cub bolts up the hill, the second one follows along and mom sorta stares me down a moment and runs up the hill after them.  From there it was just a view bear asses running up the hill.

I kinda stood there, chastizing myself for having left my pistol over on my pack but when hiking and with a backpack I don't wear a separate belt usually.  Had I needed it though I'd have been fucked.  She was past me and up the hill in just a couple seconds.  The looks on the camper's faces up the trail was hilarious.  20 mins later they decided to just hike on the remaining 3 miles to their car.  That was a happy outcome.  No neighbors for the night next to the creek.

I know I could have shit diamonds when that big ass blackie stood up and was definitely taller than I was.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grunteled:

Yeah that'll do it!  

When I lived in the Rockies I had a 50 gallon drum of water near my place and used to fill up gallon jugs to water plants maybe a 100 or so yards away, I liked the workout. Well on my trip back to refill the jugs I'm about 10 ft from the barrel and I see this huge bear in my driveway area maybe 20 feet from me. I do the the bear yell "YAHHH" that always worked before but this thing now stood up towering like 10ft. I'm shitting bricks at this point because all I have is my glock .40, out and pointed at the bear, knowing it's not looking good for me. There is no running away in a situation like this. Then all of a sudden out pops this little bear out of my water barrel, and they both ass out of there. I'd say that was my most hairy situation with wild animals.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gloftoe] [#46]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#47]

If your wife/daughter/sister's car broke down in bear country, would you advise her to stay with the car until you or a prescreened person (tow truck, police, roadside assistance, etc) showed up, or would you advise her to get into the first man's car that passed by?
View Quote
You haven't met many tow truck drivers have you?

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

If your wife/daughter/sister's car broke down in bear country, would you advise her to stay with the car until you or a prescreened person (tow truck, police, roadside assistance, etc) showed up, or would you advise her to get into the first man's car that passed by?

I have met a few. The few I’ve met would have me seriously considering the bear.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Also couldn't get this nonsense below out of my head so I'm putting it here where no one will get the reference.

A woman was walking in the woods and mused about all of the predators of the earth and which was the most dangerous.

So she went to the man and asked him.

"of all the beasts of the earth which is the most powerful?  Could you win in a fight against a bear?

The man answered.

"Well if the bear were to stand on his hind legs and bear down on me with his teeth and claws it might give me a bit of trouble."

The woman asked

"But would you lose?"

The man answered  "Nah I'd Win"

Then the day of the battle happened.

Between the strongest predator of Nature, the bear and the strongest of mankind, the man

The bear began the assault with its most powerful technique.

Aggressive Charge.

However, the man had already learned the secret technique.

10MM handgun.

And shot the bear in the face killing it before the charge could reach him.

The woman witnessing the battle was awestruck and asked the man.

"Are you the most powerful because you are a man? Or are you a man because you are the most powerful?"

The man answered saying.

"Among all the beasts of the earth or fowls of the skies.  There is no creature I cannot bring down with a gun."

"For I alone am the most Dangerous One"
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:02:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#50]
This is like a perfect Shiri's razor scissor.

I don't understand how determined so many men are to make the bear out to be mother grizzly protecting its babies, no room even for black bears. Meanwhile, the guy has to be the most chill milquetoast guy on the planet.

Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top