Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2024 6:26:05 PM EDT
I’m thinking about buying a FJ. Used of course because they don’t make them anymore. Are there any common issues to watch out for? I’ve heard of the front fender “buldge” and I’m leary of raised and obvious off-road use.

The lowest mileage under $20K I’ve found is around 100K.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Back seat is tiny and horribly uncomfortable.  Visibility sucks.
Vertical windshield in rain sucks.
Under powered.
Shit fuel economy.

Better of with a 4runner.

Other than that...ehhh
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:31:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#2]
I had an 07 FJ 6pd manual with full time 4wd. It had 140K miles when I sold it. I never experienced the inner fender ripping that some did. Mine had electrical gremlins that would show themselves periodically. The dealer was never able to eliminate them. Other than that it was a great vehicle. The 10 and later versions had a beefed up frame to eliminate the fender problems. The fuel tank is small so be prepared to stop at filling stations often.

eta - If you think it has blind spots you need to learn how to adjust and use your mirrors properly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By HighLighter:
I’m thinking about buying a FJ. Used of course because they don’t make them anymore. Are there any common issues to watch out for? I’ve heard of the front fender “buldge” and I’m leary of raised and obvious off-road use.

The lowest mileage under $20K I’ve found is around 100K.
View Quote

As you said, keep an eye out for inner fender bulge. I think that comes from opening the door too hard against the jam. That's why you don't see it on all of them or constantly on one side or the other. It's all dependent on who's getting in or out.I stumbled across this when I was checking the oil at the gas station and the wife got out of the car. I could see the inner fender flex. Mine has a shift issue. They all seem to get it. Google it to see the details. Its more involved than I feel like typing. It's tolerable.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:
I had an 07 FJ 6pd manual with full time 4wd. It had 140K miles when I sold it. I never experienced the inner fender ripping that some did. Mine had electrical gremlins that would show themselves periodically. The dealer was never able to eliminate them. Other than that it was a great vehicle. The 10 and later versions had a beefed up frame to eliminate the fender problems. The fuel tank is small so be prepared to stop at filling stations often.

eta - If you think it has blind spots you need to learn how to adjust and use your mirrors properly.
View Quote

Do they use the same clutch master cylinder as the 2nd Gen Tacoma? I know they both share a lot of parts and there's a TSB for the original design which was plastic and could cause dead pedal or other pedal related issues on the manual transmission models like mine (there's an updated metal clutch master cylinder replacement).
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Soon to be what 10 years since last production in the US.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Fj62 master race checking in.

Fj40, Fj60, fj70 fj80, fj100, and maybe even fj200 are all acceptable too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:45:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#7]
Are you familiar with common issues on old vehicles?.   Toyota isn’t exempt from Radiator problems, bearings, seals, wiring, starters, alternators, brakes, etc.  

They are expensive collector vehicles.  You buy one in the full knowledge that you’re starting a new hobby.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Ducks, you won’t get one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I absolutely love mine
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#10]
3 small wipers. And the rear doors open back and down a bit, my daughter couldn’t close it.

Get a 4 runner.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Do they use the same clutch master cylinder as the 2nd Gen Tacoma? I know they both share a lot of parts and there's a TSB for the original design which was plastic and could cause dead pedal or other pedal related issues on the manual transmission models like mine (there's an updated metal clutch master cylinder replacement).
View Quote

I don't know if they have the same clutch master cylinder. I sold mine in 2014 and had not had any trouble with it while I owned it. I had the front engine seal replaced under warranty there was a TSB on the seal leakage. The dealer replaced a switch dealing with the 4wd system in an attempt to cure the electrical gremlin. The switch did not solve the problem.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Early 07 had issues with the frame bendin inside where the motor was. Otherwise it’s been covered
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:55:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muricha] [#13]
Ensure the transmission drain plug has never been opened.

Some people thought they needed to change the transmission oil.

It’s a ‘non serviceable transmission’ or at least my 06 or very early 07 was.

As a condition to allow my boys to drive they had to do the oil changes and tire rotations for the family vehicles.

I get home late from a shitty day at work and while I’m eating my microwaved dinner, my then 15 year old said,
“Dad, why is the oil in the FJ red?”
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Great vehicle but the newest ones are still 10yo.

Mine has 314,xxx+ on it with original engine and tranny.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Why pay more money for a less practical (smaller) 4Runner with even older tech.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#16]
For what purpose it was designed for it is a solid ride and if taken care of will only go up in value.

For an everyday driver or kids over 4ft tall, it takes a diehard to appreciate.

Kinda like a panhead bike rider.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BigDeeeeeeee:
Great vehicle but the newest ones are still 10yo.

Mine has 314,xxx+ on it with original engine and tranny.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27773/IMG_0518_jpeg-3204035.JPG
View Quote

This makes me feel good.  Mine has 256,000 on it. For some reason I have it in my head that 300,000 is going to be the magic number. Good to see someone going a little past.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#18]
You have to try hard to really kill one. Even severe neglect and abuse usually won't do it.

I had one, modified it for serious offroad, and sold it. It was a great vehicle, but don't expect a comfortable family cruiser. I have a 200 series now, way more comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By eac223:

This makes me feel good.  Mine has 256,000 on it. For some reason I have it in my head that 300,000 is going to be the magic number. Good to see someone going a little past.
View Quote

I used to design and program the environment for Toyotas engine plant and transmission plant QC testing labs.
If you’d ever witnessed what they do to test a sample prior to releasing the ‘batch’ for shipment you would have no worries.

Properly maintained, a million isn’t unheard of. That’s if the frame and body would tolerate it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aspida1776] [#20]
07 is the only one with the bulge. Love my 2012. Im only at 120,000 miles
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#21]
Early 1GR-FE has heightened possibility of head gasket issues. The gasket was redesigned and post '08 I think a new part number superseded. Any after or any changes is likely fine. Those prior may have some issue. RA 60/61 has the clutch master issue noted. If you hammer them the front suspension points as you note can be an issue.

Get a post '10 auto and you get VVTI. Otherwise they are pretty solid with the caveats about viz, which for me is overblown. Yea I'd avoid a wheeling build out too.

Attachment Attached File

Otherwise no issues but only 65k.  '10 TT Auto.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Lousy gas mileage and a huge blind spot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cycletool] [#23]
It’s superior to a 4Runner off road. 4 runner is good off road but superior on road. If you do more off-roading than highway driving it’d be a great choice.

We went through 3 solenoids in the 4wd high system. The shift from 2-4 wheel drive is electronic even though you are pulling the lever. I didn’t do my research and was disappointed by this. The switch from 4high to 4 low is manual.

Can the blind spots be overcome by mirrors and back up cameras? Yes. But the 4 runner is superior in this regard and doesn’t require as much of a learning curve.

I found the seats to be very uncomfortable. If we would have kept it I would have looked in to a seat swap.

We bought at 20k miles, sold at 90k and made about 6k when we traded it in. For that reason alone I wouldn’t consider buying one again.

ETA-Gas mileage was horrible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#24]
2010 or later has some powerplant improvements over the early years.

My 2010 is approaching 200k with no major issues. It's a fun car.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Back seat is tiny and horribly uncomfortable.  Visibility sucks.
Vertical windshield in rain sucks.
Under powered.
Shit fuel economy.

Better of with a 4runner.

Other than that...ehhh
View Quote

That part in red...
In a light but steady rain, I never had to use my wipers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Watch out for the roof leak right at the front corners of the windshield.  A simple application of sealant will fix it.

Alternator needed replacement at 80k.

AC issue popped up around 90k.

Shift linkage broke at 120k.

Windshield is a ding magnet.

Other than that, oil and tires are the only other expense.

Poor gas mileage.  Blind spots are not an issue.

It's been a great vehicle.  I got on of the first off the boat on the east coast nearly 20 years ago now!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Trans shudder in the autos.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kristen] [#28]
2014 Trail Team—-   Zero issues at 160,000 miles.  Blind spots??? Learn to use mirrors.  Fuel economy?  No kidding, it’s a truck not a Prius.  If you buy it and use it as intended it is a great vehicle.  If you use it to get groceries or drive to the mall buy said Prius.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#29]
2014 with 119k and zero issues. Windshield gets chipped easily but it’s definitely my favorite vehicle
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I wanted one real bad in 2013 and went for a test drive and the visibility is real bad.  I still want one though as a hobby vehicle
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RONIN45] [#31]
2012 FJ guy here. No regrets at all.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
View Quote

Gotta grease them zirks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
View Quote

Change that tranny fluid.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Besides the owners? Most of them are BMW quality drivers.

Brake hoses are not up to Toy standards and the steering wheel wrap was junk on some of them in warmer climates.

They tend to rust quickly if you damage the wheel wheel liners.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By manderson1911:

View Quote

Yeah I came here wondering "Which one?" I assume OP means FJ Cruiser.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:05:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xdoctor] [#36]
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:

View Quote
Same.  Was coming to see the FJ80s.  (For those that don't know, the model number of the Land Cruiser was always FJ something.  FJ is a general term for Land Cruisers.)
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By cycletool:
It's superior to a 4Runner off road. 4 runner is good off road but superior on road. If you do more off-roading than highway driving it'd be a great choice.

We went through 3 solenoids in the 4wd high system. The shift from 2-4 wheel drive is electronic even though you are pulling the lever. I didn't do my research and was disappointed by this. The switch from 4high to 4 low is manual.

Can the blind spots be overcome by mirrors and back up cameras? Yes. But the 4 runner is superior in this regard and doesn't require as much of a learning curve.

I found the seats to be very uncomfortable. If we would have kept it I would have looked in to a seat swap.

We bought at 20k miles, sold at 90k and made about 6k when we traded it in. For that reason alone I wouldn't consider buying one again.

ETA-Gas mileage was horrible.
View Quote

That's not quite correct. The 2-4wd shift is happening in the transfercase, with a mechanical linkage.
What quit on yours was likely the ADD disconnect actuator in the front differential extension. It disengages the front diff for 2WD driving, for reduced drag. Much like the old school Warn hubs.

Your 4Runner is a electronically shifted transfer case.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
pics of 62 not loading, big shooter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Muricha:
Ensure the transmission drain plug has never been opened.

Some people thought they needed to change the transmission oil.

It’s a ‘non serviceable transmission’ or at least my 06 or very early 07 was.

As a condition to allow my boys to drive they had to do the oil changes and tire rotations for the family vehicles.

I get home late from a shitty day at work and while I’m eating my microwaved dinner, my then 15 year old said,
“Dad, why is the oil in the FJ red?”
View Quote

Very few "non-serviceable" trannies are truly non-serviceable.  IF you know what you are doing.  The Four Runner trans is billed as "non-serviceable".
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:

View Quote

Literally the only wrong answer in the FJ series.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
pics of 62 not loading, big shooter.
View Quote

Wont do it in an LGBTQ thread which this has become.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Wont do it in an LGBTQ thread which this has become.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

i occasionally drive by a minty 55 pahked at a golf course.

i always say to meself "here piggy piggy" when i drive by it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Is that Jambo @Monkey_Wrench ?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#45]
This is the one that I wish Toyota would bring back, the 40 Series.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Is that Jambo @Monkey_Wrench ?
View Quote

Sure is! I think it was '22, the last year I went, broke a lot of stuff that trip

I sold it in December of 2022, bought it new in 2014.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bnz42:

https://i.imgur.com/Q3GaKlml.jpg
View Quote
never gonna happen.

you could import a 73 from a LHD country, however.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:42:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#48]
Originally Posted By Monkey_Wrench:

Sure is! I think it was '22, the last year I went, broke a lot of stuff that trip

I sold it in December of 2022, bought it new in 2014.
View Quote

Last trip I did was in 2019. The only thing I did was nosedive my Taco off a jump for the dirt track event damaging a control arm.

My truck at 2019 Jambo
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/subnetfavoritelol-1033.gif

i occasionally drive by a minty 55 pahked at a golf course.

i always say to meself "here piggy piggy" when i drive by it.
View Quote

Yea the old Iron Pig... Guy in my town has one that his grandmother owned... Has like 70k original miles, garage kept. He comes to some of the local car shows.. We usually roll out with 2 Fj40, his Fj55, FJ60, HJ61, my Fj62, an FJ80 and an Fj100.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bnz42:

https://i.imgur.com/Q3GaKlml.jpg
View Quote

Thats a truck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top