Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2024 10:48:24 AM EDT
Lost my knife working on a waterline. Having trouble finding a suitable replacement.

$30 or less
Pocket clip
Partially serrated blade
One hand open
Lock back.

I'm not a knife snob so brand isn't an issue. Price is firm because I lose them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#3]
You get what you pay for.  Having said that, you don't need a $200 knife either.

But with what you are asking, I do have a favorite that fits close to your needs.  The Kershaw Cryo series, chinesium, the one I used were 1555 and 1556.  In the $30 range.  

I would keep a whole drawer full and give them to rookie firemen if they did something merit worthy.  You don't keep $200 knives in your bunker gear to be lost in a fire scene.  But these cryo knives were pretty damn good knives for the price range.  I will look for sample on Amazon.  Give me a minute for a link.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry OP they are $40 now.  Sometimes Amazon runs a special.  I have owned a couple for me, and I bet I have given out 30?  Good little knives.

Amazon Product
  • KERSHAW CRYO POCKET KNIFE: Designed in collaboration with custom knifemaker, Rick Hinderer, the Cryo is a sturdy, aesthetically pleasing knife that feels good in hand. Voted Blade Magazine\u2019s 2012 Best Buy of the Year and 2013 Men\u2019s Journal Approved Gear.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I know you said lock back, but what about Lightning OTF?
Pocket clip, cheap, several partially serrated models.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I would probably just get some of the Benchmade clones off of wish if I was stuck at that price.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Kershawguy has good deals
View Quote
I bought several of the knives I posted from Kershawguy.  Aimless turned me on to Kershawguy a few years ago.  Great place to shop for knives.  His customer service is primo.  Outstanding.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Seems to me partially serrated knives are out of vogue, not to many for sale on Amazon.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are buying cheap Chinese ones does it even matter what they are? They are all going to suck anyway. I never understood how people "lose" things.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
If you are buying cheap Chinese ones does it even matter what they are? They are all going to suck anyway. I never understood how people "lose" things.
View Quote

You dig a big hole in the yard to fix a waterline. You use your knife with a brown handle during the process. You fill the hole back in and shit happens. People who actually do things make mistakes and lose stuff.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Buck Bantum  USA  lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:

You dig a big hole in the yard to fix a waterline. You use your knife with a brown handle during the process. You fill the hole back in and shit happens. People who actually do things make mistakes and lose stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Paying $100 for a knife makes it very unlikely that I'll bury it in the yard.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Menards has great cheap-o knives.

If you can tolerate that stupid jingle..
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Mostly I agree.  There are caveats.  There are outliers.  

I took it OP was looking for an outlier.  YMMV.  

The knife I posted is a very decent cheap knife.  There are many people who think Holosun optics as well as Primary Arms optics made in China are good.  

I don't like buying chinesium.  Sometimes, in very particular situations, it just makes the most sense to your personal situation.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:
I would probably just get some of the Benchmade clones off of wish if I was stuck at that price.

View Quote

I got some serrated blade bugouts for $7 each.  They are holding up just fine to my abuse and I'm not worried about them getting lost.  I did get some in red, blue, and orange for visibility.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Not totally meeting your requirements, but I use these outside:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This would serve you well:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Ontario Rat 1
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Firebird Ganzo F759MS-GR. $16 or so, depending on color.

I don't have that model, but I have other Ganzos and they are awesome for the money. In particular the FH-91
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#21]
There are many good choices in the $30 range if you omit the partially serrated requirement.  There are a number of models around that are partially serrated but I think they are going to be over that price range.

I only have one knife that is partially serrated and it's a SOG Flash II that I've had for many years.  It's been my every day carry knife and a close friend for a long time.  I'm a SOG fan and have several of their blades.  Never been disappointed with one either.  Like you I'm not going to spend a lot on an every day carry knife (or any other for that matter!) and I can find plenty that I like in the $30 to $50 price range.  A few you can look through:

Boker USA
Camillus
Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT)
Gerber
Kershaw
SOG

I'm sure there are others but those are the ones that come to mind.  They are all good, I have something from all of them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Kershaw Thistle Liner Lock. I have many knives. This is my fav. I buy them whenever I can find one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I like that orange handle one. My survival knife is orange
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:02:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Idpapaperoperator] [#24]
If you compromise on the serrations you can get a US made buck bantam for cheap. I believe they are all US made and some have pocket clip. Get. Quality knife, and a good sharpener and learn to use it, and you don't need serrations (unless you are a professional rope cutter). A knife sharpened to just 600 on a diamond stone and then stopped gives a nice working edge.

Buck has 10% off for new accounts generally.

Or go via another seller. I reccomend DLT trading.

https://www.dlttrading.com/buck-bantam-285-blw

Or a 112 slim, USA Made.

https://www.dlttrading.com/buck-112-slim-select-black

Both can be had in orange, too, since you lose stuff.

Buck uses very inexpensive/common tainless steel, but there heat that is very well done.

Here are some serrated options

The Gerber EZ out series is cheap and I believe US Made.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Gerber-E-Z-Out-Skeleton-Knife--16534

Bear & Son's slipjoint quality is hit and miss, but you may try their modern knives I believe they are the very least assembled in the USA.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Bear-Son-Sideliner-Liner-Lock-Knife--188301

You can get great Chinese knives for cheap but I try to support US cutlery companies so that there continues to be US cutlery companies

I learned that once I started carrying nicer/more expensive knives, I cared about them more and didn't lose them. YMMV.

However the ones up top are cheap enough.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#26]
The cheap Walmart knives in the sporting goods department hold up well and you can buy 4 for $30
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I need a new one of these.  I used the hell out of the last one, and it finally started coming apart after 15 years

https://www.extremely-sharp.com/collections/automatic-knives/products/working-mans-automatic-knife-delrin-jigged-bone-overlay-handle-drop-point
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#28]
I carry a Gerber EZ out lightweight, and I have three of them.  They have a partially serrated model , but those suck.

Ouch, these used to be just under $20.  FJB!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:14:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#29]
I've said it before and I'll say it again,  a Kershaw Leek from the Kershawguy.com.  You're welcome!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#30]
OP $30 is about the price of a Five Guys lunch 'round these parts. If you up your budget a hair you can get a much better knife.

I have hands like catcher's mitts, so I prefer larger knives.

This Civivi Vexer is D2 steel and $40....

This Honey Badger is $45.

If you really want to stay within budget, and you're looking for a work knife, the new Milwaukee combo knife looks pretty good for $20. I love their folding utility knives.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:26:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixgunner45] [#31]
Ganzo has cheap, relatively nice knives.

Probably the cheapest I would go though is $32.00 for a QSP Penguin

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093LF5VLG?tag=arfcom00-20

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:
Firebird Ganzo F759MS-GR. $16 or so, depending on color.

I don't have that model, but I have other Ganzos and they are awesome for the money. In particular the FH-91
View Quote

I have an FH922 clipped on today and most every other day. And I have a whole damn drawer full of knives to choose from. If I lost this one today, can't say I've lost many knives, but I digress, I'd buy another one tomorrow. Best cheap knife I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:51:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#33]
OP spec'ed lockback, I see lots of recs for linerlocks in this thread.

OP i'd recommend a Ka-bar Mule, they have them on Amazon for 30 bucks, partially serrated models, lock back, thumb stud for one-hand opening, reversible pocket clip, ticks all the boxes.

I've owned one for some 14 years now and given it hell, and it's still an awesome hard-working blade that holds a good edge, VERY sturdy construction. Chinese yeah but Taiwan, not the mainland shite. AUS-8 steel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00373ZEOY?tag=arfcom00-20

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:53:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-AK] [#34]
Milwaukee Fastback with serrated replacement blades.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#35]

get three for that price

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-4-11-in-High-Carbon-Stainless-Steel-Black-Oxide-Pocket-Knife/1000594779

i hate recommending Chinesium but these are decent for almost 'throwaway' everyday use
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#36]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
OP spec'ed lockback, I see lots of recs for linerlocks in this thread.

OP i'd recommend a Ka-bar Mule, they have them on Amazon for 30 bucks, partially serrated models, lock back, thumb stud for one-hand opening, reversible pocket clip, ticks all the boxes.

I've owned one for some 14 years now and given it hell, and it's still an awesome hard-working blade that holds a good edge, VERY sturdy construction. Chinese yeah but Taiwan, not the mainland shite. AUS-8 steel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00373ZEOY?tag=arfcom00-20

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41adBGxjDGS._AC_SX569_.jpg

View Quote

I'll send this to one of my daughters for a father's day gift and some sort of craft beer this time.

'Fat Ass Tire' or whatever they call it godamnit!

I already have a drawer full of socks now. About 87 pairs.

I'm getting tired of getting socks for FD.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Lug1:

The knife I posted is a very decent cheap knife.  There are many people who think Holosun optics as well as Primary Arms optics made in China are good.  

I don't like buying chinesium.  Sometimes, in very particular situations, it just makes the most sense to your personal
situation.  

Good luck.
View All Quotes

I don't like buying chinesium.  Sometimes, in very particular situations, it just makes the most sense to your personal
situation.  

Good luck.

Here’s a caveat but not serrated:
https://a.co/d/2Talt6o
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Special Ops black too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Sorry OP they are $40 now.  Sometimes Amazon runs a special.  I have owned a couple for me, and I bet I have given out 30?  Good little knives.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0074FI28Q
View Quote
Yeah, the $30 and below price point is now all gas-station level quality.

The Cryo or Clash are in the 40-ish range and depending if you want smaller (Cryo) or a little beefy (Clash) they are good options. Fit and finish on the Clash is top notch even with the China made ones. I have a few.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

I’m a bit of a snob, but those look pretty nice. I’ve always appreciated Kershaw’s designs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

I get what he’s saying. I wouldn’t lose my knife doing what you just described. I’ve run service vehicles in the oil patch and for a restoration company where we’d spend full days working on site and all the tools and toolboxes would come out with guys using each other’s tools and we’d all make sure we had everything before we left.

I suppose we left behind a few consumable tools like screwdriver bits or drill bits. But the number one priority of jobsite cleanup was to get all of our tools.

I have had an iPhone since they first came out. A decade and a half. Several different models. Only one was ever damaged because it was in my lap and I jumped out of my work truck. Corner of the screen had a small crack.

I’ve always carried and used $150-$250 knives while I worked. Still have all of them.

My dad has a bunch of antique woodworking tools that his dad handed down to him. I’ll get them because he takes care of them.

Buy good shit and take good care of your shit and you don’t have to keep buying it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:

The Cryo or Clash are in the 40-ish range and depending if you want smaller (Cryo) or a little beefy (Clash) they are good options. Fit and finish on the Clash is top notch even with the China made ones. I have a few.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:

This is factually incorrect. You can't get plenty of high quality knives with decent enough materials for 30 bucks. The Buck 110/112 slim series is around 30 bucks for a great knife that meets OP's requirements sans serrations. Their steel is basic 420HC but they do an excellent job on heat treating it.

Tons of Asian companies cranking out solid knives for 30 bucks. That being said, most gas station knives from low end Chinese MFR are around 20 to 30 bucks (Fury, Bud-k, M-tech, etc) but there is a wide range of quality 30 bucks gets you. Plenty of US made stuff in that price range, too.

You can get a lot of knife for small money these days. You aren't limited to no name Paki lockbacks of dubious quality. Advances in manufacturing has done a lot for the knife world. (Also, cheap Chinese labor never hurts).

In a world where everything else has gotten more expensive, quality made knives with good materials have gotten cheaper when compared relatively with companies like Spyderco, benchmade, etc. Hell, D2 steel is pretty much standard for most budget makers.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: livinfree] [#44]
For the price this Maxpedition might be worth a try.

Attachment Attached File

I have a Maxpedition that is similar.  It’s okay for what it is.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Lost my knife working on a waterline. Having trouble finding a suitable replacement.

$30 or less
Pocket clip
Partially serrated blade
One hand open
Lock back.

I'm not a knife snob so brand isn't an issue. Price is firm because I lose them.
View Quote

I like Kershaw
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By livinfree:
For the price this Maxpedition might be worth a try.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273029/DB3888F4-90F3-41D4-BB52-E6346A32E27C_jpe-3209047.JPG

I have a Maxpedition that is similar.  It’s okay for what it is.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273029/C3C311EF-3AE1-470C-94AB-178DC1A9CAAC_jpe-3209050.JPG

View Quote

That's the knife I lost.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#47]
You get what you pay for.  Having said that, you don't need a $200 knife either.

But with what you are asking, I do have a favorite that fits close to your needs.  The Kershaw Cryo series, chinesium, the one I used were 1555 and 1556.  In the $30 range.  

I would keep a whole drawer full and give them to rookie firemen if they did something merit worthy.  You don't keep $200 knives in your bunker gear to be lost in a fire scene.  But these cryo knives were pretty damn good knives for the price range.  I will look for sample on Amazon.  Give me a minute for a link.
View Quote

All of this.  The Cryo is a solid value at its price point, and remarkably tough for a “cheap” knife.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Go to Walmart and buy a handful of Ozark Trail knives. Use and dispose of them when dull.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Another vote for the Milwaukee. I think I paid $25.00 at Home Depot for it.

Milwaulkee Fastback knfe
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#50]
For just barely over $30 this one is made in USA!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H33X8B1?tag=arfcom00-20

Attachment Attached File
Top Top