Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2024 11:53:29 AM EDT
Which .308 semiautos perform the best when suppressed?

For me, "best" in this case probably prioritizes reliability and minimized gas to the shooter.

Are DI ARs in .308 any better than DI ARs in 5.56 when it comes to gas?

The field of options seems surprisingly limited, and they get expensive quick. Basic DI guns from Palmetto and Aero are reasonable enough, but most things that are either piston ARs or non-ARs seem to double the price immediately, and I'm not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Part of me wants to wait for the .308 JAKL (eta unknown?), but another part of me wants to check this box before the election just in case something dumb happens.

If it matters, the suppressor in question is an Omega.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I shot my friends SCAR in .308 with a Q Trash Panda. It functioned perfectly and was decently quiet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have several 308 ARs, never noticed gas as an issue (Razor 762 suppressor). An HK-pattern rifle (PTR) would work well. My FAL is nice, and the gas system is easilt adjustable (or can even be turned off).
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I've use an SR25 with Direct Thread Omega and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#5]
DIY gas buster charging handle just like my 5.56 ARs works for me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
.308 ARs are picky about being suppressed in my experience. (Sig 716, Larue OBR, DPMS Gen 2, an Aero build, HK MR762 and POF Rogue) More so than their 5.56 counterparts.
Adjustable gas blocks or a flow through silencer are a must on them, so the ones that come with one on that list tend to fair better.

My Scar17s still has the factory gas settings and has been happily running suppressed since 2011. DO NOT replace the factory boot stock with an ACR style stock. The factory stock has give in it that helps prevent damage to the firearm.

The Tavor 7 has an adjustable gas block and has been a good host

The G3 family needs a specific locking piece to avoid roller dents on the gun. Replace that and it is a solid option.

The M1A is a terrible host per most. I put a Flow Through Huxwrx silencer on mine and I don't have the same problems others report.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
By all accounts they'll all run better suppressed given you're upping the gas when you suppress them. They'll probably be considered overgassed but they'll definitely run. I like my Omega, its a really good can but these days I run a Griffin Explorr 300 more. The Omega is a bit heavy hanging out there. The Scythe-Ti is great for a low weight option.

I wouldnt worry about a rifle not running when you add a suppressor. You'll probably end up having a bit more gas in the face, thats just life with suppressed weapons.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:10:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#8]
SR25.

SCAR does too, but FN sees fit to void your warranty.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I built a PSA AR10 and run a suppressor on it with very good results.

Hitting steel at 600 yards without wearing ears is the way society was meant to be
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

I enjoy voiding my warranty.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]
My PSA AR-10 in 6.5 cm has been flawless with a can on it. Hell other than originally function testing it. I don't think I've shot it unsupressed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#12]
my home built 308 ar runs fine without a can. depending on ammo if i put an omega on it its very over gassed and will have weird ejection and sometimes fte. runs fine with weak ammo like wolf steel but m80 it isnt as reliable. i really need to try some of my other cans or adjust the gas block. gun is a 16" btw
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:38:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pallas:
SR25.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked up yesterday a PSA Sabre A1 in 308, will be testing this soon.

Tried on 2 other rifles, with poor results. First was a GAP-10 in .260 rem, then a Ruger SAFR in 308. The Ruger could not fire 5 rounds suppressed without problems. The GAP broke the bolt catch suppressed, never pursued it further after that.

Suppressor is an Omega.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:44:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cristo11] [#15]
If you’re serious look into the PWS MK216 or 218 depending on whether you want a 16” or 18” barrel.

I’ve run SCAR17’s, 20’s & multiple AR10’s suppressed. The PWS is hands down my favorite. AR ergos, long stroke piston & an adjustable gas block.

I’ve long been considering dumping all my .308 rifles but the PWS because it’s the only one I actually shoot anymore. It might be the best hidden gem in the semi-auto world.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Cristo11:
If you’re serious look into the PWS MK216 or 218 depending on whether you want a 16” or 18” barrel.

I’ve run SCAR17’s, 20’s & multiple AR10’s suppressed. The PWS is hands down my favorite. AR ergos, long stroke piston & an adjustable gas block.

I’ve long been considering dumping all my .308 rifles but the PWS because it’s the only one I actually shoot anymore. It might be the best hidden gem in the semi-auto world.
View Quote

This is the PWS I’m waiting for

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a scar 17 sbr and a Sig 716....both 100% suppressed.  Run fine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m still putting it through the paces, but I have a KelTec RFB that has been running just fine with a YHM can on it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Never had a gas issue with a can on any AR style rifle or pistol or SBR.

I run a 20" PSA AR10 upper with a can.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#20]
LMT MARS-H here with two calibers and both work just fine with my SilencerCo 46M.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

https://www.primaryweapons.com/media/wysiwyg/UXR-xchange-diagram_1.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cristo11:

I’ll definitely be a buyer as well.

I’m a PWS whore. I’ve got them in 7.62x39, 300BO, 5.56 & .308.

I really like their stuff. But I’m a 100% suppressed rifle shooter at this point. The long stroke piston & adjustable gas block just make that so much more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#22]
KAC SR25

But mine had 24” bbl and the kac reflex suppressor.  (Also had mk11mod0 with reflex can)

For me they were precision rifles and I babied them and they performed great.  Get the barrel warm and accuracy would drop fast.  So for something super practical I’d go with the muzzle attach can instead of gas block attached.  However I never got any gas in the face and I’m a lefty and a bit sensitive to gas.

I’ve been wondering if the PSA knockoffs would be good
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Oh that's cool
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#24]
My Noveske N6 Switchblock has been 100% with the Sandman.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

And you shouldn’t.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#26]
My 30 cal can is a SiCo Saker.

With my Galil ACE first gen, it functions fine.

On my LaRue PredAR, even after using FMJ, Fusion, several match, Odin Works adjustable gas block, Brownells BCG, and red spring from Sprinco, only ammo it can get through a mag is German DAG.

I put the A2 flash hider back on and gave up. I wish I could get it to run suppressed
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a SiCo Saker .308, a Surefire SOCOM .308, and a LMT MWS 16” .308.  The Surefire SOCOM is what I use most of the time.  I’d say the gas to the face feels equivalent to what I get with my DI 16” AR-15 and Surefire SOCOM .556.  I also have a piston LMT MRP SBR that I use with a SiCo Saker .556.  The gas to the face really isn’t reduced that much with the piston, and I don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze.  You get a lot of gas back down the barrel from the back pressure as is, and I have accelerated wear on my upper from carrier tilt.  I’ve spoken to LMT about it, and it is supposed to eventually self limit.  I don’t have 10,000 rounds+ down the barrel to find out, so I can’t validate that.  If I were to do it over again, I’d just get a DI upper and an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I have an Adam’s Arms 308 P2 and it runs fine suppressed.

I have an AA P3 in 6.5CM but it has a 24” barrel and that’s just longer than I want to put a can on it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#29]
FAL's adjustable gas seems well suited to this.

I need a .308 rated can...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:28:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluedog82] [#30]
Bear Creek BCA-10: First Look and Unboxing

I’m currently reviewing a BCA-10, which surprisingly has given me zero issues so far (only 50 rounds in, though). Having said that, it is very overgassed, especially with a can. Using a Bootleg adjustable BCG and a Kynshot buffer has made it tolerable, but it’s still definitely noticeable. If I wasn’t trying to review it in mostly stock form (minus the easily swappable upgrades I’ve done), I’d definitely want an adjustable gas block. Still, it’s made hits out to 600 thus far so I can’t complain.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#31]
The only 30 cal auto I've ever tried to suppress is the M14/M1A. At least a couple of every length from 16 to 22 inches. They all worked but I'm pretty sure that platform is not the answer to OP's question. None were ever damaged but a few seemed like they were heading that way, and all were pretty brutal for blowback, even with the blank firing shield.

I'm going to give the PTR clone a try here next weekend. I think it will do great but it's barely cycling without a can.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Ones with adjustable gas
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bishop3] [#33]
I've tried an 'early gen' PSA AR10 (without ajustable gas), running it with a SiCo Hybrid or Omega it did not like at all. Attempted to tune the buffer/ spring without any real success.

I also tried a Colt CM762 that was very finicky suppressed.

Then the Ruger SFAR came from the factory with ajustable gas block and runs good in position 2 IIRC. Gas to the face had been similar to a 556.

From my experience, in a DI I'd go with an ajustable gas system and or flow through can period.

Now that the subject come up I should try my other .308 can on the SFAR. So far the SFAR runs & hits the target, I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I use an Aero 16" 308 with a non adjustable gas block and a huxwrx can. No issues here.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sanman28:
I have a scar 17 sbr and a Sig 716....both 100% suppressed.  Run fine.
View Quote
Same for me on the Scar - 17 sbr and it never misses a beat suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
SR25.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont-even-care-687.gif

Eh... it's a $4k rifle with 100% proprietary parts and limited industry support, so it's at least somewhat of a problem.  

Also, it's a crap business practice as a company.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Just finished building a 16 inch LMT MWS and it’s worked great suppressed albeit a little gassy
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By governmentman:
FAL's adjustable gas seems well suited to this.

I need a .308 rated can...
View Quote

FALs venting gas adjustment usually isn’t sufficient for nice function with a suppressor without adding a throttled gas plug. The skinny barrel profile also usually results in significant impact shift (mostly down).
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#40]
My SCARs all run great suppressed. Just tune the gas system with a smaller gas control screw and/or an aftermarket adjustable gas valve if you are running a high back pressure can.

I've never had to send one back for warranty work, but if you do need to, just clean it up and re-install the factory muzzle device/gas valve.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:24:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#41]
No issues with my home built Aero Precision 308 AR when using my Dead Air Nomad 30. I have an adjustable gas block on it though I only set it once and forgot about it. My understanding is that you REALLY want an AGB with a 308 AR if you intend to shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

@Airborne11B

What is the doodad on the diving board?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

@Airborne11B

What is the doodad on the diving board?
View Quote

Vortex Impact 4000 ballistically linked LRF….i fucking love it, especially when I’m shooting at night with my clip ons.

And I didn’t have to spend 8k + on a Raptar to get the capability.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

Eh... it's a $4k rifle with 100% proprietary parts and limited industry support, so it's at least somewhat of a problem.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
SR25.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont-even-care-687.gif

It’s a normal business practice. How many manufacturers of anything warranty damage caused from third party parts or modifications?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I get FTE and FTF about every 3-4 rounds with my Saint 308 & Omega 36m. Kinda over it and might sell the saint.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Any AR style rifle fits the bill. SR-25, AR-10, etc.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#47]
My LMT MWS runs flawlessly with a Surefire can.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#48]
My DDv3 runs well on the suppressed setting with a silencerco 46m and 30 cal end cap. I shot 3 rounds when it was new without the can and haven’t had a reason to take it off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I’m running a Sandman S on my Tavor 7 and my Ruger SR762 I’ve not tried it on my PA10. The Tavor 7 has been a very good host imo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:37:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yamahawarrior89] [#50]
Reduce the gas if you are running a suppressor.

RFB has a suppressor gas valve. DSA makes a FAL suppressor plug, I use the tightest one. XCR-M, APC308, Tavor 7 have an adjustable gas block, nothing extra needed. G3 needs a different lock piece. M1A I use a crossed drilled gas spindle, Zastava M77 I make a custom 5 position gas regulator.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top