Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/18/2024 8:48:20 AM EDT
A senior from Montana has delivered a viral speech about the sorry state of property taxes in the Treasure State.

"I'm on Social Security, I'm 68-years-old and working just to pay my taxes," says Kurt, in a clip shared on TikTok by Ryan Busse, who is running to be the next governor of Montana.

Kurt claims that over the last couple of years, his annual property taxes have soared from $895 to almost $8,000   an increase of around 790%   which he says is like paying almost "$700 a month rent to the state to live in our own house." The state has an Elderly Homeowner/Renter Tax Credit, and the maximum credit is $1,150.

"There needs to be a moratorium on what we have to pay," he says, adding that he's had to continue working into what should be his retirement golden years to cover his mounting property costs. "I'm stubborn enough [that] I don't want to dig into my bank account to pay them."

Kurt is one of thousands of Montana homeowners suffering sticker shock over recent property tax hikes. He says: "We just can't take this anymore. This was a great place and it still is, but the people that made it great can't afford to live here anymore."

View Quote

moar
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Taxation is theft.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#2]
As someone who fought the local school bond tax hike..I feel this man’s issues.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Why have the property taxes gone up that much?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this another case of Montana just sat on low rates forever or no?

I'm in SW Ohio and I pay $11k for 0.4 acres.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:52:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#5]
...and that  is how they intend to take your land and give it to others

gotta have that "Iconic" architecture at the elementary school that will stop an F5 tornado

gotta have those new automatic disconnects on all the fire trucks down at the local rural volly
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#6]
At what age should you stop paying property tax?

Let them take the tax out of the sale price after I’m dead.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#7]
He's not wrong

Mine went up another 33% this year

Elder abuse

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mauser556:
Taxation is theft.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mauser556:
Taxation is theft.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m not from Montana, but have known a few from there. I’ve never heard the term Montucky except in JL threads here. Is that a common term for Montana?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Concentricity:
View Quote

Feed the pig..

In Illinois, it’s because of the school pensions.  75 percent of my taxes go to the school district.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Same as ohio, property taxes are based on home value.

1% * $100k home =$1k/yr in taxes

Loan rates + Californian = it's a $500k house with $5k/yr in taxes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ecarl4100:
I'm not from Montana, but have known a few from there. I've never heard the term Montucky except in JL threads here. Is that a common term for Montana?
View Quote

montucky
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Just wait until some California transplant tells him how they levied property tax on senior citizens back home.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#15]
As Texas ridiculous property taxes piss me off every year, I feel his pain. It's BS.

I found out tax appraisal this year and won. They raised the value of my house, arbitrarily, $40,000. Yes $40,000. I was the highest increase in our neighborhood. Much bigger houses went down or increased a couple thousand. The house across the street went down. They had zero explanation. But dropped the valuation back to a reasonable level.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Bidnesses are going under left and right (smaller local biz) and so the tax base in many counties has dropped.

Free transitions butcherings don't pay for themselves.

And yet, people think everything is fine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Most of this is driven by the Cult of Public "Education."

Teacher and administrative salaries and benefits, massive school construction projects, etc., that no one dares to question because it's "for the children," when it is actually for all the adults attaching themselves to the government teat.

No one over 60 should have to pay a "school tax" regardless of the value of their property.

And people who are sending their children to private schools should be able to back their tuition out of their property tax to some extent.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
As someone who fought the local school bond tax hike..I feel this man’s issues.
View Quote

Last Tuesday we had our primary, and ther were 2 bond issues. One to continue a property tax for fire, one for EMS. I voted against both, but both won by a 4 to 1 margin. WTF?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Well if he has time to complain and make videos, clearly he has time to work more and pay his fair share to the king. Double his taxes.

(That was sarcasm a la Robin Hood for those of you that didn’t get it)
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#20]
If you've lived & worked in a state and paid taxes for X number of years, let's say over 10 years, your property taxes should cease if you're 65 or older.

Gov't plans to tax you into homelessness to make room for the tax revenue producer. If you aren't a producer, they prefer that you either leave or die. That's an actual fact, they see you as a financial liability otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Is this another case of Montana just sat on low rates forever or no?

I'm in SW Ohio and I pay $11k for 0.4 acres.

View Quote

You midwesterners really get screwed on property taxes.  What on earth does OH do with all that money?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:10:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stickfigure] [#22]
View Quote

Mill Levys mostly.

At least according to the governor, there's something around 95+ of them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#23]
In FL it’s basically capped at 3% per year.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:12:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Britt-dog] [#24]
Ryan Busse is a cunt.

ETA: taxation is theft and the article is not wrong. However I have a visceral hate for the traitorous liberal cunt Ryan Busse.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Good ol property taxes, aka renting from the government.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By colklink:

Last Tuesday we had our primary, and ther were 2 bond issues. One to continue a property tax for fire, one for EMS. I voted against both, but both won by a 4 to 1 margin. WTF?
View Quote

People like to keep their house from burning?

Not sure about your state, but in Ohio the fire, EMS, library, and township property taxes are pretty stinking low. Maybe 5-10% of the tax we pay. It’s the damn schools and their constant demand for new buildings and threats to cut sports that make up 90%+ of our property taxes. And each year the graduation rates go down despite more cash. Our taxes have doubled over the 18 years we have lived in our current house. All due to school levies. Somehow the library has managed to live on the same $80 per year they have been getting from us.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Property taxes on privates residences are tyrannical and disrespectful to the people that work to pay for their home.

For now it would seem the people are pursuing option 1: Talk it out.

Use of Option 2 is probably going to be the future choice.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:14:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#28]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:

You midwesterners really get screwed on property taxes.  What on earth does OH do with all that money?
View Quote

No idea. Infrastructure is shit and schools are average.

Iowa was high too, at least where I was anyway. At least their roads were awesome.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Ryan Busse is a gun grabbing faggot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#30]
The TEA party needs to come back.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Malitov:
Property taxes on privates residences are tyrannical and disrespectful to the people that work to pay for their home.

For now it would seem the people are pursuing option 1: Talk it out.

Use of Option 2 is probably going to be the future choice.
View Quote

Option 2 will never happen. Things will just get worse, but “conservatives” will just post spicier memes about the tree of liberty and the 2A.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:

View Quote

In Ohio the state gets none of it. Most goes to schools and a small portion goes to local government. It’s disgusting how much schools take and don’t appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Option 2 will never happen. Things will just get worse, but "conservatives" will just post spicier memes about the tree of liberty and the 2A.
View Quote
every day we stray further from Dog.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I always say nobody owns their home. If you think you do, just miss a couple property tax payments.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
The TEA party needs to come back.
View Quote
do it.gif
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Property taxes are becoming unattainable for many.

One of the many reasons why we're leaving.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By jdessell:
I always say nobody owns their home. If you think you do, just miss a couple property tax payments.
View Quote
i own my 1987 toyota van down by the river free and clear.

you can't take the sky from me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Government at all levels has become imperious and unrestrained.

They govern by force, threat and intimidation.

We were warned.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By daveo:

Feed the pig..

In Illinois, it’s because of the school pensions.  75 percent of my taxes go to the school district.
View Quote

Indiana I think 2/3 goes to the schools. Not sure how it’s distributed from there.
Originally Posted By Shockergd:
Same as ohio, property taxes are based on home value.

1% * $100k home =$1k/yr in taxes

Loan rates + Californian = it's a $500k house with $5k/yr in taxes.
View Quote

Indiana rates are about the same. We sold our nice house in part because the property assessment went from 500k to almost a million over the 11 years that we owned it. That’s going to be rough $1,000 a month in property tax alone. Along with insurance and utilities skyrocketing it didn’t seem worth it to stay any longer even if we paid it off. It was almost $3000 a month property tax, insurance, and electric. That’s a pretty good chunk of my pension which I’m a couple years away from. Our mortgage was very little. Moved to a smaller but still nice place where the assessment went from 350k to almost 600k in a couple years. Insurance essentially doubled to almost 5k a year as well. Constantly beating us down for more money yet not receiving any more service or value from it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:19:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SystemFailCoreDump] [#40]
I get that property taxes are necessary to fund city and county work but since the Dems have gotten into power the rate at which taxes have been going up is an absolute crime.
You work hard all your life. You struggle, scrimp and save to build a place in the sun and then the corrupt government comes for it. Just like everything else.

Don't steal. The .gov hates competition.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Because .gov is a parasite.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:20:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 57man] [#42]
Mans right, the government calls everybody greedy for not paying.....but the truth is the government is the greedest entity in the world.  

Sadly the local, state, and federal government could careless if he becomes homeless.  One more slave they can control through welfare.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#44]
I am growing to Hate taxes in general but property tax even more. So if you take money you were taxed on when you earned it and spend it to improve your property it's now worth more and the gvt taxed you even more so you can have the pleasure of living there. AND if you don't pay tax on property you have paid for with money that has already been taxed the gvt will now take your property without compensating you AT All for the money you have spent to make it more valuable so they charged you more for it to keep. Shit is all wrong. Never mind the fact I homeschool my children so I get to pay property tax for schools I don't use and also get to buy curriculum out of pocket.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Property taxes tied to assessed home value are bullshit. I'm lucky mine are low as they have more than doubled for me in the last few years too due to all the real estate ass fuckery after being really stable for almost 20 years. I can't imagine living in some of those places with insane property tax values.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Pardt:
I am growing to Hate taxes in general but property tax even more. So if you take money you were taxed on when you earned it and spend it to improve your property it's now worth more and the gvt taxed you even more so you can have the pleasure of living there. AND if you don't pay tax on property you have paid for with money that has already been taxed the gvt will now take your property without compensating you AT All for the money you have spent to make it more valuable so they charged you more for it to keep. Shit is all wrong. Never mind the fact I homeschool my children so I get to pay property tax for schools I don't use and also get to buy curriculum out of pocket.
View Quote
Oh you don't have to do SHIT to your property for them to say it's worth more now lol. Has nothing to do with that at all.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:25:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jackthom8] [#47]
Other states are getting hosed so hard on property taxes it's insane, this is one of the reasons why California still remains appealing to some. Prop 13 limits property taxes and still makes it livable here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_California_Proposition_13
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Look at the bright side. Our tax dollars have never been used more efficiently than they are now.

The roads are perfect, the crime is nonexistent, the education system is unparalleled.

As long as we agree to give them more taxes, our lives can only improve. Win win!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Move to a free state that you can afford?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SideSwipeYa:
Just wait until some California transplant tells him how they levied property tax on senior citizens back home.
View Quote

My buddy says:

"Not since 1978. Prop 13 and the ballot initiative process is some of what Cali got right."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Top Top