Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2024 1:03:11 PM EDT
I know some on Arf collect these. I know very little.

$250. Advertised as not working. Do I FO?

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By 302w:
I know some on Arf collect these. I know very little.

$250. Advertised as not working. Do I FO?

https://i.imgur.com/eIJrYLL.jpeg
View Quote

Mills War Eagle.

I have one I inherited from my grandfather.  When I got it it had been painted (poorly) and had been in storage for decades.  It still worked though.

Had it in my bachelor pad along with a pool table, and had lots of parties on those days.  It jammed up one night and I pulled the mechanism to see if I could figure it out.  Had a lot to drink that night and let's just say those mechanisms are quite complicated, and I couldn't figure it out, ended up dropping the mechanism, bending the reels.

A few years later I came into some money, and sent it off to Rich DeLong.  He was the "expert" that everyone I contacted recommended to restore it.

Cost me about $1200 in 2008ish, but it came back looking absolutely gorgeous and works fine.  The kids and visitors love playing it, and it draws people to it when they see it.

So, should you FO?  I would.   I like old stuff, and old vintage slots are about as Americana as it gets.   But from a practical side, it's worth that or more in parts.

DeLong Slots in still in business, but I'm not sure if Rich is still around or if it's his son.  They also carve the old Tobacco Store wooden Indians as slot machine stands.  Pretty cool, but pricey.

Looks like you and DeLong are both in PA, so you might be able to get it, take it to them for a mechanical repair, and then decide what you want to put into it, if anything.  Or just play it like it is.

Delong Slots Facebook Page

https://www.obnoxiousantiques.com/inventory/vintage-richard-delong-cowboy-slot-machine/

Restored War Eagle

Delong Vintage Slot Machine
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. My only concern is it being a repro. Are these usually reproduced? How can I tell if it's original?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.ibuyoldslots.com/ReproArticle.html

Mine had been in the family since the 50's, so I knew it was original.  That said, I don't see the "collector value" of these going up substantially over time.  

I'll equate it to Pre 64 Winchesters.  Peak Pre64 was when the old guys who grew up with those guns were old enough to afford to pay big bucks for them.   Values seem to have plateaued now to some degree.

I think the same can be said about these old slots.   I watched them on ebay for years and they don't seem to be considerably appreciating in value as time rolls on.

So if you want a cool game room piece, buy it.  If you're looking for an investment, by the time you buy it and pay to get it working or restored, you'll likely have enough in it where you won't ever see a huge "profit" from it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:11:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California_Kid] [#4]
That's freaking beautiful.  Buy it and restore it.  Fill it up with nickels.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Have these, they're used by kids and visitors. Need some love but still work.
Attachment Attached File

Archived thread w/good info:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Antique-mechanical-slot-machines-/5-2637452/
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Well OP, did you get it?  @302W

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top