User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
Dumbass shouldn't have said a word to anyone, period.
View Quote
I have literally told my wife that if I win a stupid amount of money, we're through.
She can take 1/2, I don't even care.
The peace in my life would be worth it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Gambling does indeed destroy families.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Vernal agreements are not enforceable.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By glock27bill:
Vernal agreements are not enforceable.
View Quote

Is that some kind of agreement in Utah?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:40:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AlphaOperator:
To each their own.

As for me, if I win anywhere near that, I am going to be gifting much of my family and many close friends.  The rest can piss off.

eta- a large part to charity as well
View Quote

Yea 500 mil I'd set up all my family.  Each with their own account where they could live on the interest of a few mil each.  And a lump sum cash to blow.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:44:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
Hate to disappoint but that wasn't created by anyone on ARFCOM, rather has been posted all kinds of places on the internet.  ARFCOM is just one of the places.  Sometimes there is a slight variation or people add their two cents.  

View Quote

Well it goes back at least 16 years or so here. You’re going to have to show your homework on this one and provide links to where it was posted elsewhere at a similar or earlier time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:44:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
If people came at me like that I would sooner spend it all on lawyers before they got a dime.
View Quote
YOU MOTHERFUCKING BITCH YOU TOLD ME YOU WERE GOING TO GIVE ME FREE SHIT!! NOW I'M GOING TO SUE YOUR ASS!!

JFC people are disgusting.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:44:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By APBullet:
"in court papers, won $1.35bn and collected the lump sum payment of roughly $500m after taxes"

The guy needed an attorney and an accountant to figure out a tax shelter and should have taken the annuity.
View Quote
You NEVER take the annuity.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:04:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#10]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
If it ain't in writin', it ain't bindin'
View Quote

Doesn't stop the litigatin'.

If I suddened upon that kind of money, I'd STFU & go straight to the highest end law & accounting firms I could find & start proactively strategizing & setting things up. Then I'd move to another tax haven state - or maybe country - &, since I'd have little to no friends at that point, think about changing my name. No joke.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:06:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MrHelper:

“Taken the annuity”

Hahahaha!!!  That’s fucking stupid
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MrHelper:
"in court papers, won $1.35bn and collected the lump sum payment of roughly $500m after taxes"

The guy needed an attorney and an accountant to figure out a tax shelter and should have taken the annuity.

“Taken the annuity”

Hahahaha!!!  That’s fucking stupid

Is it really stupid for the average person? Most people have shown they can't manage that kind of money and virtually ALL of the sob stories are from people that took the lump sum such as the guy in West Virginia.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
$500mil of $1.3 billion?

Hardly worth the effort for so little cash
View Quote

I agree, not even worth pulling over.

Side note, with 500 million I could probably do a lot of good and become the George Soros of conservative causes
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:22:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pawcatch] [#13]

View Quote

I agree with you 100 percent since 60% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, so it only makes sense for the most people to take the annuity based on their spending and investment habits.

ETA.
Robert Pagliarini President of Pacific Wealth Advisors said, " I honestly think most people are probably better off taking the annuity."
This is a guy that manages other people's money for a living and he says most people would be better off taking the annuity.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:32:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#14]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
The author of the original was a member here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
Hate to disappoint but that wasn't created by anyone on ARFCOM, rather has been posted all kinds of places on the internet.  ARFCOM is just one of the places.  Sometimes there is a slight variation or people add their two cents.  

Originally Posted By cavedog:
The following is a repost by an attorney on ARFCOM about winning the lottery

eta: I put it in a spoiler due to the length.

Click To View Spoiler
The Austrian.

Here's the archive link: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Austrian_s_Semi_Annual_Guide_For_Recent_Lottery_Winners__Or_Deluded_Hopefuls__Post/5-828009/

ETA: he hasn't posted in a long while.

https://www.ar15.com/member/user.html?id=15542
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Lol, what a mess.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Exactly! If you win a large sum of money...KEEP YOUR FUCKING MOUTH SHUT! That kind of money brings a lot of problems with it. It brings good things, but also problems. You'll have "relatives" you've never even heard of, before. You'll have SO many people with their hand out wanting a piece of it. Donate to this. Donate to that. I need this. I need that. I'm dying of this. I'm dying of that. My mom needs surgery. My dog needs surgery. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Obviously I'd share it with my family, but I would NOT make "promises" or tell them how much or anything like that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Side note, with 500 million I could probably do a lot of good and become the George Soros of conservative causes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
$500mil of $1.3 billion?

Hardly worth the effort for so little cash

You could do so much with even just the interest, never touching they principle.

That said, there's plenty that don't have the discipline.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#18]
A promise is not a contract.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like the family Thanksgiving dinner this year is going to be awkward.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#20]
If I won it would go something like this:

Hi Dad. I took a vacation to some remote third world shithole, now I am in jail. I'll write when I can.

Love, me
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By crurifragium:
The Austrian is weak in this one.
View Quote

+1

I wouldn’t even tell my wife.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GMeanie:
The real problem is the TAXES!
View Quote
Taxes are exactly zero problem.  The government TAKES it's cut BEFORE the winner gets a single dime.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Wrong.
The annuity is not 30 equal payments.
The first year he would get 11.4 M
In the 10th year he would get 17.6M
In the 20th year he would get 28.7M
And in the 30th year he would get 46.7M

If he took that lump sum 500M and invested it at a measly 5% he would still make more money and there is no guarantee he will be around for another 30 years.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By XDONX3:
Mo money… mo problems
View Quote

Ye-up. You want a shit-show, just involve money. Have I ever told ya'll about who and what runs our givernment...
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Maine!?  I need to see if I'm related...  Maybe I can get in on this.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I’m not party to the conversations or arguments rather, but wouldn’t it be cheaper to just buy his father and stepmom the house and old junk cars that he promised them he would buy? It likely wouldn’t cost much. Why be an Indian giver when you have so much and have pledged so little?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:
Where’s the written and signed contract? Noooo? Well that’s a shame.
View Quote

This.

He can claim in court he never said that and family members trying to sue a lottery winner for a cut looks greedy. They have ti prove he said it.

His first payout will be to a lawyer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By konger:
I’m not party to the conversations or arguments rather, but wouldn’t it be cheaper to just buy his father and stepmom the house and old junk cars that he promised them he would buy? It likely wouldn’t cost much. Why be an Indian giver when you have so much and have pledged so little?
View Quote

I thought the same thing.

Stupidity or Greed...  or both.  In abundance.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

It’s almost always better to take the lump sum
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#30]
lawyers getting paid. sounds like a happy ending

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#31]
With 500 million he could buy a law firm just to run down his relatives.

But he did f- up by opening his mouth in the first place.

Should have taken the check and left the country.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:53:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#32]
Is it odd that I actually believe the story the father said?

Now the father is a douchebag for trying to hold his son to what he gleefully said during his excitement.

I've seen enough family drama over stupid shit, add $500,000,000 and I'd believe it. I'd ask the FBI to put me in witness protection if I won that much
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Today they will be happy with that inch you gave them, tomorrow they'll ask for a mile.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:

Wrong.

If he took that lump sum 500M and invested it at a measly 5% he would still make more money and there is no guarantee he will be around for another 30 years.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:

Wrong.

That's a big IF. Most lottery winners don't invest like that as the majority of Americans don't.
Pretty much all the sob stories come from lump sum takers.
There's a reason the president of Pacific Wealth Advisors says most people would be better off taking the annuity. These guys know what most people do when they get a large sum of money, they blow it. At least 60 percent of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. If you really think you can go against what the majority of people do then so be it, but I wouldn't go against the grain.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
If people came at me like that I would sooner spend it all on lawyers before they got a dime.
View Quote

"Wait!  Is that???  Oh my God, that's Anna Nicole Smith's music!!!"  When your dead husband's will dispute makes it to the US Supreme Court, twice, that's some full employment for lawyers happening.  

Maybe this will be more of the same?  Every Wills, Estates & Trusts lawyer will tell you that the prospect of 'free' money turns a lot of family into assholes against each other.  I can only imagine the fun there'll be of trying to prove or disprove the existence of an oral agreement to share the wealth on something like this.  Especially if it ever gets to a jury to decide.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#36]
with 500 million at least take care of your parents in old age.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

That’s what I thought. Regardless, it’s good advice.

Literally a handful of people out there are competent to manage that kind of money for themselves. A good friend and former girlfriend is a wealth management attorney and manages the Family Services department for a financial firm. What is “Family Services” you ask?

That is the group of people wealthy people employ to make sure their routine bills get paid. Cars, credit cards, electricity for their houses, mortgages…. All the stuff we pay each month only on a much larger scale. Throw in charities, taxes, keeping track of household expenses and “real life” becomes unmanageable for one or two people.

I think that’s how many previous lottery winners have gotten into legal trouble. It snowballs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FMJ3:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/A3BA1448-DF7A-4F17-9322-EB3534E25172-481.gif

The president of Pacific Wealth Advisors said in his opinion most people would be best taking the annuity.
This guy has seen what most Americans do with one large sum of cash.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By GMeanie:
The real problem is the TAXES!
View Quote

A real problem here, not that getting 37+% yeeted out of the balance is great, but the gift that keeps on giving, will be when Baby Momma goes back to Family Court and has the judge increase support payments due to the father's change in circumstances.  I don't even know how that would work; the conversion of windfall amount to monthly income stream that "the Child" is entitled to 20% of, or so.  But it won't be pleasant for our guy in Maine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#41]
I would have disappeared for at least a year.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Some states reveal the name of the winner.  I am not sure if Maine is one of them.  

The wildest fact is that he supposedly won $1,350,000,000 and the government kept $850,000,000 of it.  That is false advertising on an epic scale.  In Canada all lottery winnings are tax free.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

The above is why he'd never want any trial to go before a jury, FWIW.

To answer konger's question---straight, though I suspect he's being sarcastic:  One, why do you think that Dumbshit ever promised them anything, such that he would be indian-giving?  Two, if he gives in on this set of demands, do you think they might increase in the future?  Especially if Dumbshit's parents, relatives, friends, associates got rewarded the first time they tried this?

Austrian's advice to set up a set of trusts for all those people, with about a quarter or so of the windfall, makes more and more sense everyday.  I confess I didn't see the merit in it, the first time I read that part of his post.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#44]
No one would even know where I went but I am not close to any family.

Hell, the only way they would know I won is by the news saying "He was unavailable for comment and his house is empty"

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
Lol, what a mess.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:52:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: woodsie] [#46]
Originally Posted By gaweidert:

Some states reveal the name of the winner.  I am not sure if Maine is one of them.  

The wildest fact is that he supposedly won $1,350,000,000 and the government kept $850,000,000 of it.  That is false advertising on an epic scale.  In Canada all lottery winnings are tax free.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gaweidert:

He never won $1,350,000,000.  The $1.35 Billion was always a fiction.

The actual prize is the lump sum and always has been.  The advertised jackpot is a sum of annuity payments based on a particular interest rate over 30 years.  The lottery didn't actually have $1.35 billion set aside for the prize at the time it's won.

You are right that it is false advertising though.

Taking this to the extreme, if I told you let's have a coin flip contest.  If I win, you give me $50.  If you win, I give you $1 per year for the next billion years.  It's a billion dollar prize right?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#47]
This whole story just screams "trailer park white trash".  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By staringback05:
What's wrong with the country.....

Wins 1.35B......takes home 500M after taxes
View Quote
Um, yes.  That's the whole point of state-sponsored lotteries.

What, did you think the government was going to let you keep all the money you won playing their game?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm not party to the conversations or arguments rather, but wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy his father and stepmom the house and old junk cars that he promised them he would buy? It likely wouldn't cost much. Why be an Indian giver when you have so much and have pledged so little?
View Quote
MY guess is he has been bombarded with requests for money from everyone who has ever known him plus a shit ton of strangers knocking on his door and sending letter, phone calls etc.

Prob just fuck it no one gets anything.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#50]
It isnt (at least in KS) an "all or nothing" payout setup.  You can divide it up however you want.   Half payout, half annuity.   90/10, 800m cash, last remains in annuity.  

You can also split it among people however you want which is what I would do.   Instead of getting the money then gifting it, I would name additional winners.  Say I won the 850M, I would then add each sibling on for $5M each then name some premade trusts for kids and grand kids.   Then the notification of winning goes off my shoulders to the state and they can do what they want.  If anyone asks, "yea I got the same notification.  Dont know who it was from."  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top