Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 6:58:38 PM EDT
That other thread about seeing filming locations reminded me Other thread I am going through north carolina next weekend and I was going to try to see the mentioned last fight seen where Magua met his fate.  I have heard it was filmed at chimney rock. Does anyone have a precise location?  I have been to the biltmore estate and got to see and drive over that brick bridge where the reflection in the water of the carriage was so clear.   Any other places to see from LotM?  I wont have a lot of time so I want to make it count

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info. I'll be there this summer and this very topic came up with my family this afternoon. It's kind of a crazy coincidence.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:
That other thread about seeing filming locations reminded me Other thread I am going through north carolina next weekend and I was going to try to see the mentioned last fight seen where Magua met his fate.  I have heard it was filmed at chimney rock. Does anyone have a precise location?  I have been to the biltmore estate and got to see and drive over that brick bridge where the reflection in the water of the carriage was so clear.   Any other places to see from LotM?  I wont have a lot of time so I want to make it count

Thanks guys!
View Quote

It was actually filmed in New York
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bully13:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks guys!

No, it was set there but it was filmed mostly in NC.  If I were a bit closer I'd offer to meet OP and take him to some of the places, I've been to most of them but you can do a search and find them.

https://thecinemaholic.com/the-last-of-the-mohicans-filming-locations/
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty sure someone here lives near and knows the spots in NC. IIRC they knew someone who was an extra in the film as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

No, it was set there but it was filmed mostly in NC.  If I were a bit closer I'd offer to meet OP and take him to some of the places, I've been to most of them but you can do a search and find them.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

Thanks guys!

@sandboxmedic thanks for the info! I am actually going to be in Charleston to visit my kids, then was going to hit chimney rock or wherever on the way back home.  If I had more time, I would love to meet fellow arfcom members. Have you ever been to the tattooed moose restaurant? There are so many places in Charleston that are good. Vicious biscuit for breakfast
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Go online and you can find sights that will show you were it was filmed; most locations aren't hard to get to, some are just off the road, ex. the waterfall trail scene (where they walk behind the falls) and the ending fight scene.  Some of it was CGI.  I used to live up that way and it was one of my ex's favorite movies so we hit most of the filming locations.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:49:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandboxmedic] [#8]

@sandboxmedic thanks for the info! I am actually going to be in Charleston to visit my kids, then was going to hit chimney rock or wherever on the way back home.  If I had more time, I would love to meet fellow arfcom members. Have you ever been to the tattooed moose restaurant? There are so many places in Charleston that are good. Vicious biscuit for breakfast
View Quote

My mother's side of the family has been in the SC low country since the 1600s and some of them still live there (and the family names are still on some of the plantation houses, buildings, islands, etc.- most people would recognize some of them) and I spent a lot of time there as a kid but I don't get down that way much anymore except to see a couple of cousins every now and then.  Almost all of the family property has long been broken up and sold off.  Never tried that restaurant.  

I went to Clemson and lived in the upstate for a while; even after moving I spent a lot of my weekends and off time up there climbing, biking, paddling, fishing, hiking and backpacking for years as well as doing some environmental work.  I still get up there a fair amount, but nothing like I used to and it's changed so much with the influx of people with money.  Back in the '80s and even into the '90s it really was like stepping back into time in some parts; I have some great memories- and some crazy ones- from those days.  We've got some members up that way and I have some family up there way too.  

Far more Revolutionary Battles than most folks realize were fought in that region, and across SC, and there are a lot of historical markers; somewhere I've got an album of pictures of many of the sites and cemeteries.  One of my friends was an amateur historian and artist and I used to be into photography so we tried to hit many of them.  My ex was always happy to spend time in the woods too and loved that book and movie as well as that tri-state region (SC/NC/GA).

ETA- Hit up the SC HTF and I bet you can find some arfcommers to show you around!  SC is generally a very friendly state, just use some common sense.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Tagged.

The wife has mentioned wanting to see some of that area.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

It was filmed in North Carolina, a lot of it was around Asheville and Chimney Rock IIRC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

It was filmed in North Carolina, a lot of it was around Asheville and Chimney Rock IIRC.

OP didn't take the bait
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scalped] [#11]
OP, some say if you listen carefully enough you can still hear the sizzle when Hawkeye told Duncan how they planned to reach Can-Tuck-Ee
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
OP, some say if you listen carefully enough you can still hear the sizzle when Hawkeye told Duncan how they planned to reach Can-Tuck-Ee
View Quote

Nice avatar. Face north, then real subtle like turn left  That’s about as close as I can remember.  Funny thing, in my hometown there used to be an old diner (gone over 30 years ago) where you would see all kinds of people there from regular Joe types to high falutin people driving rolls-royce cars. Anyway, this place was called the Kain-tuck-ee grill.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]
The cliff area where the woman fell off of away from Mogwa is at Chimney rock park.
The water fall scene where they go behind was an indoor set filmed in an abandoned textile factory called Grimes where they once made velvet.
The water was from a pipe.
Currently Highland brewing is in that same property.
I once worked as a welder in a business close by while they filmed it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The last sceen is filmed at chimney Rock. If you go to the park there are signs about it and they tell you where to go.  At least it was rhat way in 2017 when we were there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:56:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: any7ven] [#16]
Originally Posted By eolian:
The cliff area where the woman fell off of away from Mogwa is at Chimney rock park.
The water fall scene where they go behind was an indoor set filmed in an abandoned textile factory called Grimes where they once made velvet.
The water was from a pipe.
Currently Highland brewing is in that same property.
I once worked as a welder in a business close by while they filmed it.
View Quote

pretty sure behind fall drama scene was bridal veil - dupont forest

from what I have read

walking and around under waterfall mostly was set piece - but primary scene bridal veil

would be difficult to get behind it and small area

skyline trail at chimney rock park takes you by final scene (not too close as you would the die)

triple falls in mohicans and in hunger games also

several YouTube vids with all locations
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]
This was at the Biltmore Estate outside of Asheville.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#20]
That movie is so beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

The Tattooed Moose is good.  So is Lewis BBQ.

As others mentioned, there are signs at Chimney Rock to get to the trail used for LOTM.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I do not understand the fascination with Last of the Mohicans.

I’ve watched it a couple of times and found it be boring.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#23]
The trail at Chimney Rock where the final scene was filmed is marked but there is a lot of fencing for hiker protection that makes it a bit hard to recognize that it’s the same location.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By yankee43:

View Quote

Just ... Wat.

@strela
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:

Just ... Wat.

@strela
View All Quotes

Just ... Wat.

@strela

Unfortunately, it seems like many GD'ers suffer from ADD and have the attention span of your average house cat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I grew up on Lake James. I remember going out on my neighbors boat and watching the explosions at the fort. The trail at Chimney Rock where the final fight scenes were filmed is closed now, but I got to hike it twice on class trips in high school.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Cyclone68:
I grew up on Lake James. I remember going out on my neighbors boat and watching the explosions at the fort. The trail at Chimney Rock where the final fight scenes were filmed is closed now, but I got to hike it twice on class trips in high school.
View Quote

That trail is permanently closed?

I was there in 2009 and it was closed but at the time I got the impression it was a temporary closure while they did some work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Top 10 fav movies....
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By any7ven:

pretty sure behind fall drama scene was bridal veil - dupont forest

from what I have read

walking and around under waterfall mostly was set piece - but primary scene bridal veil

would be difficult to get behind it and small area

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.ZrdPGcoZzP6JaWKfJtGngQAAAA?dpr=3&pid=ImgDetMain

skyline trail at chimney rock park takes you by final scene (not too close as you would the die)

triple falls in mohicans and in hunger games also

several YouTube vids with all locations
View Quote

They may have used that spot at Bridal Veil Falls for the initial walk-in or a brief shot, but yeah, you're not filming anything back in there, at least not how I remember it. I feel like I had to duck to get back in there.

Pretty sure Bridal Veil Falls is where they filmed the scene where Hawkeye explains to Major Heyward that they aren't their scouts or in the militia and that they're heading west.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

When ya comin’ to Chaa’lston? Maybe we should do a meet up of the locals? Been a bit since I was last at the tattooed moose, but there are plenty of great places here. Give a shout when you know you’re coming and throw it up on the SC forum too.

Maybe we can rally the troops at a local tavern.

Oh, on topic, LotM is a family favorite 😁
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Whatever you do make sure to do the chimney rock climb.  Beautiful views up top.  There was a sign but the tail was closed where the rock ledge scene was filmed,  but that was around 2016 or so when I was there.  

If you're wife likes the movie dirty dancing there's some film locations on Lake Lure from the movie.  The stairs case is gone, but some of the greens on the golf course were used for filming.   It's a beautiful area as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Always post this in LOTM threads. One of my faves of all time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Delta10mm:
The last sceen is filmed at chimney Rock. If you go to the park there are signs about it and they tell you where to go.  At least it was rhat way in 2017 when we were there.
View Quote

They closed the trail on the side of the cliff face a few years ago due to 2 kids falling to their deaths

I used to live 25 minutes away back in the 80-90s

Chimney rock,lake James, asheville on Charlotte street,etc were locations
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Strela:

Unfortunately, it seems like many GD'ers suffer from ADD and have the attention span of your average house cat.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Strela:

Just ... Wat.

@strela

LoL!

It’s apparent that some GD’ers are as easily amused as house cats, too.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top