Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 2:41:44 PM EDT
Doctors order's, apparently I'm low on iron. Always limited myself with liver but the Doc said it's the healthiest meat you can eat. I typically sweat an onion with vinegar for 15-20 minutes until brown and them deglaze with cooking wine, then sauté some liver. Delicious but it's getting boring. Any recipes out there?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
How about liverwurst? It's not all liver, but has a lot in it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By goer001:
View Quote

Came here to post this.

Got some just last week as it's (mostly) carnivore (down 20#s in 30 days!).
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Saute a fistful of duck livers with some shallots, deglaze with sherry then puree in a blender with heavy cream. Set up in the fridge then spread on some crusty bread. Glass of red wine. Gets no better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Braunschweiger  lots of ways to eat it and contains lots of iron from pigs liver.
Can be blended with ground beef used as a supplement.
Most large grocery stores carry it. Can usually be found near the sandwich meats.

https://www.jonesdairyfarm.com/blog/what-is-braunschweiger/#:~:text=Originally%20from%20Germany%2C%20Braunschweiger%20is,casing%20that%20is%20typically%20smoked.

Wife usually fixes beef liver like country fried steak. Breaded and fried. Makes gravy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
How about NO. Take a pill
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#6]
gross.
Cook steak instead.

Compared to using Teflon-coated, nonstick cookware, cast-iron pots and pans may increase the iron content of the foods cooked in them by up to 16%. This durable cookware may also effectively raise the iron levels for those diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia, particularly children.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spleenless-Dave] [#7]
Originally Posted By MainePure:
Saute a fistful of duck livers with some shallots, deglaze with sherry then puree in a blender with heavy cream. Set up in the fridge then spread on some crusty bread. Glass of red wine. Gets no better.
View Quote

"A fistful of duck livers."  Wasn't that the lesser known Eastwood movie where he played "The man with low iron"?

My new doc put me on iron supplements late last year after my first visit and blood draw. I should try the liverwurst to help supplement it.  I hated liver as a kid but came to appreciate good liver and onions as I got older.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By goer001:
View Quote

Love a good liverwurst sandwich. Thanks for the suggestion. Haven't had one in probably a year or two.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

Came here to post this.

Got some just last week as it's (mostly) carnivore (down 20#s in 30 days!).
View Quote

Strong work. Can't do carnivore. I'm on the other end, need more of all the things
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MainePure:
View Quote

That sounds pretty amazing. Noted.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:23:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#11]
Originally Posted By Rincon_11:
Doctors order's, apparently I'm low on iron. Always limited myself with liver but the Doc said it's the healthiest meat you can eat. I typically sweat an onion with vinegar for 15-20 minutes until brown and them deglaze with cooking wine, then sauté some liver. Delicious but it's getting boring. Any recipes out there?
View Quote

Had a related issue years back (now resolved).

Pig liver has the highest iron content, but a much stronger flavor.

What I found, was that I could buy tubs of frozen chicken livers. I’d put them in a blender and puree it, and mix it into ground beef. Couldn’t tell what was liver, and what was ground beef when I sautéed it (and you can use any recipe you’d use ground beef in).

For the folks saying, “take a pill”;
The body absorbs heme iron (from red meat, and liver etc.) much more effectively than inorganic iron from iron supplement pills or iron-rich vegetables.

Aside from getting iron injections for folks who really have issues, as far as increasing iron levels orally, liver is the best option.

P.S.
Attempting to take more iron pills, can also cause constipation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
Braunschweiger  lots of ways to eat it and contains lots of iron from pigs liver.
Most large grocery stores carry it. Can usually be found near the sandwich meats.

https://www.jonesdairyfarm.com/blog/what-is-braunschweiger/#:~:text=Originally%20from%20Germany%2C%20Braunschweiger%20is,casing%20that%20is%20typically%20smoked.

Wife usually fixes beef liver like country fried steak. Breaded and fried. Makes gravy.
View Quote

Cool, I'll try it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Spleenless-Dave:

"A fistful of duck livers."  Wasn't that the lesser known Eastwood movie where he played "The man with low iron"?

My new doc put me on iron supplements late last year after my first visit and blood draw. I should try the liverwurst to help supplement it.  I hated liver as a kid but came to appreciate good liver and onions as I got older.
View Quote

Fuggin hated it as a kid. Could eat it every day now. Like avocado.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
View Quote

So many other sources of iron than organ meat.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:22:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tejas1836] [#15]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:

I love any green vegetable. I Ironite our garden every year.
ETA: Which reminds me, my wife made kale chips for the first time, damn they are good!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]

That sounds pretty amazing. Noted.
View Quote

I drank it out of the blender with a straw at culinary school, may have grossed some tender tummies out but man it's just too good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#17]

Cool, I'll try it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:

Cool, I'll try it.

It's just another word for liverwurst. I love it, though I can't stand liver. This would absolutely be my solution.

Bonus: it's inexpensive. Bonus #2: It's one of the things I really like that no one else in the house does, so when I buy some, I get all of it.  

I usually have it as a snack, not a meal. I put it on crackers with a spot of mustard, though I will make a sandwich of it occasionally.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 5:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#18]
Pan fried beef liver and onions is hard to beat.  I love breaded and deep fried chicken liver, but it is pretty explody when I try to make it.  I only get it at the local Lucky Wishbone chicken frying establishment. I might try to convection bake it someday............

Fucking braunschweiger prices have not been good for a while.  FJB

I will shop for some liver soon, since your doctor recommended it.
Top Top