Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought I was friends with two over the years.

For my part I was... it wasn't reciprocal. :/
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope.

There werent any blacks where I grew up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Nigerian brother from another mother.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:57:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556NAT0] [#4]
Floyd Mayweather REFUSES to be labeled "African American"
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have but none that I would consider close friends. I even had a friend in high school that was from Kenya. He was fun as hell and had a great sense of humor.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont know anyone from Africa. I am friends w two guys from Chicago who I speak to regularly…
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
I've had African and black friends
View Quote

Same here.

African friends (great guys) were at the Orthodox seminary I attended.

In 8th grade (1968) I played guitar in a mostly black soul/R&B band.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clockwork138] [#8]
My best friend, from 2nd grade until we were juniors in high school, was black. He killed himself over a break-up with his girlfriend when we were juniors.

I still remember my mom's family telling me not to trust him and make sure he doesn't steal anything from our house when I was 10 or so.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:09:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#9]
Virtue signal thread… state checks out.

I was late signing up for a dorm room my freshman year of college. My entire floor was black except for one nerd who never left him room. I was the quarterback on our flag football team, if that counts? I never got the ball when we played basketball even though I was 6’3 and better than half. I’m serious. Several tried to fight me because, well, I was white. My roommate was cool, but when he was around his “friends” he treated me like shit. Complete opposite of me and my white friends in high school with our black buddy.

Is what it is… I tried.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
A shooting/ham radio/outdoors/Jeep buddy was the twin brother lookalike of the character "Whisper" in a James Bond film. Damn solid conservative.

It's true about the good dying young. The beetus got him but he put up a hell of a fight. Genetics are what they are. Hank would be a very good fit on this forum.

Me and one other white boy were the only non African Americans in a rather large ham radio group which used to do lots of things together. All were solid family men. All also tried to get the next generation to forsake drugs and the hood life. They saw the writing on the wall many years ago.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Have had a ton of black friends over the years. Still have a few.  Also tons of Mexican and Asian friends and white friends.  Racism is stupid.  Good people are good people and trash is trash.  Where and how you grew up has exponentially more to do with who you are than skin tones
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]
"African-American"....
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Rattlehead34:
When I was in school we were all students, friends and wingmen.  Not one minute did we think of color irregardless of group they hung with.  By group you have preps, goth, nerds etc.  

Racism was dead in my town.  Democrats brought it back with vengeance for division only.  

View Quote
This.  

We divided by genre in the 90s.  Not color.  In the 2000s the pushed this segregated left wing racism shit into place.    Yes there were racists in the 90s but it wasn't a big deal like it is now.  You'd just be like fuck that racist dickhead and move on
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Acceptable terms:
Italian American
Irish American
Native American

Term where everyone freaks out:
African American

I've been treated better by blacks than fellow whites and Hispanics in my life. Yes I check my surroundings when I see large groups of young black men in the mall or on the street but this does not change anything. They are just misguided by this weird gotta be a gang banger culture stuff. Overall black Americans are just trying to get by like everyone else. My best friends are black and I've always dated black or brown women. My wife is brown.  

Also Allen West for example is a true American and he happens to be black.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]
One of my closest friends from HS and beyond. Lung cancer got him.
Leigh was a good dude.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
Acceptable terms:
Italian American
Irish American
Native American

Term where everyone freaks out:
African American

View Quote
No shit. I just call them black, but it's not a big deal. Playing musical chairs with words just to virtue signal in either direction is pretty gay.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
No shit. I just call them black, but it's not a big deal. Playing musical chairs with words just to virtue signal in either direction is pretty gay.
View Quote

I've never had an issue with saying black. No one cares that deeply in my experience. It's interesting that people don't care about other terms but the second African American is used it's starts large Facebook like debates.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#19]

I SO saved that meme for future use. Thanky.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 1cheapshot:
Never. They were black Americans. 😉
View Quote

This. African-American would imply they were originally from Africa, then came here. I don't use that term, I refer to them as black, like they call me their white friend. And you know what? Being called their white friend doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I think it's more of a cultural thing than a race thing. There are some people I would get along with great, others not so much.

I used to be friends with my neighbor, who is a great dude. But he moved and doesn't seem to talk to me much anymore. :/
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll mention three.
1) "Robert". Tremendous athlete. Great worker in our biz. I had a District Judge literally chew my ass out when I tried to intervene on Roberts behalf. He'd had some issues but was pretty well straightened out when he came to us. I needed him when the Judge wanted him to spend a month in the County Jail. Judge got his month but I got him out of office the next time around. Recruited a candidate, funded him and KICKED ASS!

2)"Alex". Another tremendous athlete. Could jump over the bed of a half ton truck. He was out of a job in Ok. Married to a white lady that was the sister of one of my field managers. He came on board and helped me construct over a mile of conveyors in the new factory I was building. It just got better from there. He passed away from some kidney issues. We paid for his funeral and gave some financial aid to his kids as they got older.

3) 'Walter". Along with my Son and my old College roommate Walter is the only person that knows the code to our gate. He's a trusted man in our rural life. Works in the School system and is a great resource for us. He came to me with an employment issue one day that smacked of nepotism. I helped him deal with that successfully and he got the promotion. When it was -5 below zero He called me at home and asked me if I could do one of his chores for him as he was iced in and 12 miles away. "Sure" was my answer. I went and fed the horse he takes care of for my closest neighbor.

Yes I have good black friends.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I have never had an African-American friend.

I've only had friends.

Fuck having a friends BINGO card based on race.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

I've never had an issue with saying black. No one cares that deeply in my experience. It's interesting that people don't care about other terms but the second African American is used it's starts large Facebook like debates.
View Quote
It's silly. Realistically speaking we can't just all be "Americans" purely from a policy making standpoint. In a system of civic nationalism, yes ideally the government should focus on decisions that benefit everybody, but the fact of the matter is that there also are certain issues unique to majority black areas, and that sub group does have to be specifically referenced when discussing those problems and potential solutions. The attempted erasure of ethnic identity into a collective just doesn't work, and frankly, most Americans don't want it to work anyway. I've gotten along with many blacks that enjoy being part of the greater system, but they still enjoy their black identity too. They aren't going to forgo that just because some white guy says "WE'RE ALL AMERICAN I DON'T SEE RACE!"
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Dated two black American women and one Zimbabwean woman.

Had several black co-workers that I got along with. But I have not had a black buddy.

Also I have two black nephews and a black niece. Not biracial. They are black. Adopted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DoverGunner:
I have had two male people of color. However I have many lady friends of color.

They all have been great well all but one.
The one that caused my Chef Boyardee Raviloi meltdown.
View Quote

I'm curious about this new term "of color" that has been making the social rounds this last decade. From what i gather, "of color" covers any skin tone extreme from around the globe, save for that one minority division, Caucasian. This new term puts all people native to Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, Polynesia, North and South America and Australia in the same genetic bowl. I assume you are one of the bleached out, overtly excluded members of this new club?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#27]
When my dad was stationed at Ft Gordon in the 90s, I was one of only a few white kids in my neighborhood. Most of my friends were black then.

Hephzibah, GA
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
I have several and they're some of the best people I've ever met. Yes black people have some serious problems with their culture but they're not all bad. Have any of you gone through life without befriending one at all?
View Quote
Not me, I knew, hung worked with and even dated several.

I mean, I grew up in North St. Louis County, specifically Riverview, which sits between Baden, Spanish Lake, Glasgow and down the road from Castle Point and Hathaway Manor.  
All places no one here belongs after dark and most of the day as well.

Now, other than ones on FB from my school, old neighborhood or past jobs, I don't associate with any, because where I moved to, finding one of them is like finding a Hen's tooth.

I do know a lot of folks around here who have not had any black friends or much interaction with any in schools or public...
It always amazes me when I have to explain words, trends or culture things to folks that (good or bad) just haven't had that experience.

My thoughts are about 90% of them are cool if its you and them, however, you get 4 or more of them together and the attitude and mentality starts changing, the more the worse. In large numbers, they remind me of the Borg and the Hive mentality.

But they might say the same thing about us.  I just treat everyone good and with respect till they give me reason not too.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I've had a few black friends over the years, usually met through clubs or groups.  Making friends has nothing to do with skin color, it's about shared interests and values.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm like the UN, friends and relationships from all over.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a good friend who is black and we were like brothers in high school. I wouldn’t call him “African”-American though. He wouldn’t like that at all. He is a solid conservative American, no hyphen needed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sirbordsalot311:
I had a black buddy in college and whenever we were around girls he would tell me “I’ll take any of the thick ones”
View Quote

Same here but that was just an unspoken agreement between us.

He was probably the best friend I made in college. One that would still call and catch up years after most of my other friends and I grew apart. Went to his bachelor party/wedding in Vegas and was the only white boy in the whole party.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Never had a black friend.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#34]
I will never be friends with anyone who puts another nation before America when they identify their nationality. To me, if you do not identify as American and American, only get away and stay away.

Teddy Roosevelt

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Not close friends but sure.  Though where I moved the odds of adding more are slim but not zero.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Like a "friend" friend, not an acquaintance? No.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm Hispanic,  and have grown up with all sorts of friends and acquaintances.  The following numbers are in no way scientific,  but here's what I've noticed:

Black folk:
50% have some form of thug life vibe to them, 5% are basically white (think oreos), rest are pleasant, normal humans

White folk:
5% think they're black/have thug life in them (we had a name for them growing up), 15% are trash (talking about attitudes here), 20% are rich a-holes, and rest are pleasant,  normal humans

Hispanic folks:
35% thug life, 10% oreos, rest pleasant humans

Asians/middle eastern/ everyone else:
25% keep to themselves/hermits/weird, 30% nice but a little weird, rest pleasant and normal

I wonder how these numbers compare to other people's opinions
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I was a minority in my high school as a white dude. My closest friend until he passed from sarcoidosis was black. RIP Reco.

Lost my virginity to a black girl named Tanya.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rock-n-Rolla] [#39]
I had a couple black guys I hung out with because of a mutual acquaintance.  I stopped hanging out any of them because everywhere we went or anything we did race was the main topic and it was annoying. They saw racism in everything and couldn't ask the time without it being about black this or white that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#40]
What am I?  A child?

I don’t have friends, let alone black friends.

I have coworkers and neighbors I’ve never spoke to, like God intended.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I have but I don't want any more. They always seem to end up asking for something. Sooner or later they have their hand out.

I notice they're always a little too curious about the women in my life as well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I never had a black friend.

Not cause I don't want to just cause.

I guess when you live in an 99.9% white community You don't really run into too many black people.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#43]
My best friend on this planet is a black American man. He will fight you if you try to say he's African. His Great-Grandparents are from Alabama and Florida.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Never had any African-American friends.  There were a couple of kids from Africa in my high school that I was friendly with. Had some African friends back when I lived there.  There was a dude in my fraternity that I was friends with; he was from South Africa, but said he was Dutch.  I do have a few American friends who happen to be black, does that count?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Jimmy Buffett African Friend with Lyrics in Description
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:35:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#46]
It would require me to actually acknowledge race to decide if I have.  Friendship is easiest with people of similar social/economic backgrounds.  It also requires you to define Friendship.  My definition these days is fairly restrictive.

In short, I would first need to decide if I consider anyone an actual friends anymore.  So I will say no - simply because "friend" is a very high barrier to cross.  Social acquaintances, work acquaintances, fellow hobby enthusiasts maybe.  But all of those are conditional - not really friends.

That said, I live in a small community.  We are inclusive to the extent that we are probably 45% Caucasian and 65% Hispanic.  I think there is currently 1 person in the community of African decent.  Hard to have many black friends when no blacks have a desire to live in your town.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:36:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PaladinM1911] [#47]
Do white South African American count?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I went to the same school district from kindergarten till I graduated.

There was 2 black kids there. Brother and sister.

No friends.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#49]
What is this "friend" you speak of? I don't think I have any of those ... anymore.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Until the 5th grade, all my friends except one Mexican kid were black.
Page / 5
Top Top