Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My mom dated an Ethiopian fellow for a couple of years and he made doro wat frequently, I practically lived on that dish and I’m not complaining. He was a good guy, super hard working and owned a gas station. I really hoped he would be my stepfather but his family wouldn’t approve. They selected an Ethiopian woman for him.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Countersniperkitty:
@EconProf

He has a great story.
View Quote

I fuckin hate Ethiopian food lol!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EconProf] [#3]
Originally Posted By EconProf:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@EconProf

He has a great story.

My wife has a very snotty cousin from Minneapolis that likes to look down on us backwood hicks not from the cities.

Anyways, one thanksgiving at a family gathering she keeps going on and on about this new Ethiopian restaurant in Minneapolis. She starts going round the room asking us all if we like Ethiopian food. She finally got to me and I quietly said I didn’t care for it.

She says, “Well, it must not have been authentic Ethiopian food.” If I didn’t like it.

I replied, “No I’m pretty sure it was authentic.”

She said, “Well, where did you have it?”

I said, “Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia, maybe you’ve heard of it?”

Unbeknownst to her, I had just returned from a 6 month TDY with the Air Force from Ethiopia.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Never tried it, but if I had an Indian restaurant near me, I would be there weekly.  Some of the best food I have ever had in my life was at an Indian restaurant in Trenton, NJ

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, its pretty friggin good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Grew up on it actually.

H
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, years ago at a well-regarded place. Once was enough. I've never been shy about trying ethnic foods, but I learned long ago that you just aren't going to like all of them. Ethiopian was one I just didn't like...
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#8]
BTW.

You're calling that doro wat but what you have there is actually Zigni.

H
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#9]
OP:
You lost me with your misspelled words.............. So No, I'm not trying it............. it makes you stupid.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By phatmax:

Tibs are a great way to introduce or reintroduce Ethiopian.  Basically Ethiopian fajitas.

Requesting or asking for lower heat is perfectly acceptable.

The Injera bread is a sourdough, so that has to be understood as to the taste.

The basics of ethiopian food
Ethiopian food is a unique and flavorful cuisine that has a rich history and cultural significance. Here are some of the basics of Ethiopian food:

Injera: Injera is a sourdough flatbread that is the staple food in Ethiopia. It is made from the flour of the teff grain and is slightly sour and spongy in texture. Injera is used as a utensil to scoop up other foods, and it is also used to wrap around other dishes.
Wats: Wats are stews or stews-like dishes that are made with a variety of ingredients, including meat, vegetables, and legumes. They are often served over injera and are a staple of Ethiopian cuisine.
Tibs: Tibs are stir-fried dishes made with meat, vegetables, and spices. They are often served over injera and are a popular snack or light meal.
Misir Wot: Misir Wot is a popular Ethiopian stew made with red lentils, onions, garlic, and spices. It is often served over injera and is a staple of Ethiopian cuisine.
Doro Wot: Doro Wot is a popular Ethiopian chicken stew made with chicken, onions, garlic, and spices. It is often served over injera and is a staple of Ethiopian cuisine.
Ethiopian coffee: Ethiopian coffee is a traditional coffee ceremony that involves roasting green coffee beans over an open flame, grinding them by hand, and brewing them in a clay pot called a jebena. The coffee is served with snacks such as popcorn or roasted barley.
Traditional ingredients: Some traditional ingredients used in Ethiopian cooking include:
Teff: a type of grain used to make injera
Berbere: a spice blend made with chili peppers, garlic, ginger, and other spices
Mitmita: a spice blend made with chili peppers, garlic, ginger, and other spices
Niter kibbeh: a type of clarified butter used in cooking
Ghee: a type of clarified butter used in cooking
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By phatmax:
Originally Posted By Strela:
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
I've tried it (at least whatever American restaurant's version of it is). I remember it as a bunch of stews and weird soft bread you grabbed at with your hands. Wasn't really impressed.

This. All seemed to use the same seasoning. Not terrible, but it wasn't something I wanted to try again.

Tibs are a great way to introduce or reintroduce Ethiopian.  Basically Ethiopian fajitas.

Requesting or asking for lower heat is perfectly acceptable.

The Injera bread is a sourdough, so that has to be understood as to the taste.

The basics of ethiopian food
Ethiopian food is a unique and flavorful cuisine that has a rich history and cultural significance. Here are some of the basics of Ethiopian food:

Injera: Injera is a sourdough flatbread that is the staple food in Ethiopia. It is made from the flour of the teff grain and is slightly sour and spongy in texture. Injera is used as a utensil to scoop up other foods, and it is also used to wrap around other dishes.
Wats: Wats are stews or stews-like dishes that are made with a variety of ingredients, including meat, vegetables, and legumes. They are often served over injera and are a staple of Ethiopian cuisine.
Tibs: Tibs are stir-fried dishes made with meat, vegetables, and spices. They are often served over injera and are a popular snack or light meal.
Misir Wot: Misir Wot is a popular Ethiopian stew made with red lentils, onions, garlic, and spices. It is often served over injera and is a staple of Ethiopian cuisine.
Doro Wot: Doro Wot is a popular Ethiopian chicken stew made with chicken, onions, garlic, and spices. It is often served over injera and is a staple of Ethiopian cuisine.
Ethiopian coffee: Ethiopian coffee is a traditional coffee ceremony that involves roasting green coffee beans over an open flame, grinding them by hand, and brewing them in a clay pot called a jebena. The coffee is served with snacks such as popcorn or roasted barley.
Traditional ingredients: Some traditional ingredients used in Ethiopian cooking include:
Teff: a type of grain used to make injera
Berbere: a spice blend made with chili peppers, garlic, ginger, and other spices
Mitmita: a spice blend made with chili peppers, garlic, ginger, and other spices
Niter kibbeh: a type of clarified butter used in cooking
Ghee: a type of clarified butter used in cooking

While I appreciate your deep knowledge of the cuisine, as I said, it just didn't interest me after sampling a variety of dishes at a well-known Austin place. Friends rave about it and I am willing to try new things. I simply found it blah.

No "xenophobia", no racism, no lack of appreciation for other cultures. I simply didn't like it enough to seek it out again.

If you're adventurous you might want try kidney (pork) stew like my mother made. Great on a cold winter day. I drew up eating Eastern European food. Lots of liver dishes too.

http://www.junemeyer.com/kidneystew.html
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Top 3 fave restaurant when living in Philly was a quaint Ethiopian joint with a low-brow, West Philly-style bar in the back.  We took many out-of-towners there and nobody ever complained.  

Usually it was just eating with your hands and scooping with the bread that created pause.  Past that, people were always pleasantly surprised with the flavors.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:17:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#12]
I have had Ethiopian food in Ethiopia.  I don’t like it.  Injera tastes like vomit.  The spices are not well balanced.  The food is revolting to me.  

Others find it amazingly delicious.  There is a reason you don’t see very many Ethiopian restaurants but you will find thousands of Mexican, Italian, or Asian restaurants.  For most of the population Ethiopian food sucks.  Some like it though.  Just not very many.

The Mexican and Italian restaurants in Addis are even better than the ones serving local cuisine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
I have an Ethiopian coworker and he gave me a bunch of spices from the last time he visited. It was as good as any local Ethiopian restaurant I’ve been to.

]
View Quote

This is the problem I've had cooking some African and ME dishes I've really liked from restaurants: sometimes they require some spices or blends that you sure aren't going to find at wegmans.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:19:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FaygoJoe] [#14]
There's a place near me that's lasted for awhile.  I always figured there was no food, ya know?

I'll just stick to what I know.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:25:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Did you use the spiced butter? It’s called niter kibeh. It’s easy to make and is the base of most of the dishes. I make Misir Wot quite often along with Tikil Gomen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:30:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Back before uber and lyft I got a cab at the airport and told the driver to take me to get the best steak in town. After he asked if I wanted Eithiopian food I said again take me to the best steak in town. Took me to fucking Dennys. Back to the airport and I rented a car.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:35:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Ethiopians eat?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Mickey D's is not really that expensive I guess.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 1982fxr:
The holes in that brown/gray bread creep me out. I don't like those particular holes. No go at this station.
View Quote

You may have trypophobia.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:11:48 AM EDT
[#20]
No I'm not into picking Ants out of other people's hair..
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By -daddy:

You may have missed some sarcasm.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Triggered-143.gif
View Quote

LOL

The only Ethiopian I knew was Jewish. Last name was Yonas. He went in depth about his family history, they were from the 'have' side in that country. Lost everything escaping.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes, spent a month there back in 96.  Had hyenas running through the camp at night to get to our trash dump (burned daily)
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#23]

My wife has a very snotty cousin from Minneapolis that likes to look down on us backwood hicks not from the cities.

Anyways, one thanksgiving at a family gathering she keeps going on and on about this new Ethiopian restaurant in Minneapolis. She starts going round the room asking us all if we like Ethiopian food. She finally got to me and I quietly said I didn’t care for it.

She says, “Well, it must not have been authentic Ethiopian food.” If I didn’t like it.

Unbeknownst to her, I had just returned from a 6 month TDY with the Air Force from Ethiopia.
View All Quotes
@EconProf

He has a great story.

That’s the one. 😀
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#24]
That looks delicious. I’ve heard it’s good, but haven’t had a chance to try it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I would be tired of that, yes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#26]
That is definitely a weird looking bread
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Remember to only rat with your right hand!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#28]
It's nasty third world slop just like Indian food.  Pass.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FJB247:
This could be both a before and after picture.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:51:24 AM EDT
[#30]
The places i've been to in DC were amazing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
Yes, I like it. We have a good spot here in SLC, Mahider Ethiopian Restaurant & Market on State street.

The Ethiopians also make pretty good coffee beans.
View Quote

Coffee was domesticated in Ethiopia
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Yep, I ate at a place in Kansas City last year and it was fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I quite enjoy Ethiopian food when we can find it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:30:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#34]
Originally Posted By macaho45:
It's nasty third world slop just like Indian food.  Pass.
View Quote

I have to ask you to point out the "third world slop" ingredients in the following recipes:

Awaze Tibs:

Attachment Attached File

Doro Wat:

Attachment Attached File

Misir Wat:

Attachment Attached File

Niter kibbeh (spiced butter for flavor and cooking)

Attachment Attached File

Outside of a few specific spices and varying quantities, most of these ingredients are also found in Italian food, Spanish food, Mexican food, and even American food.

You don't have to like it, but calling it "third world slop", especially if made here in the US,  doesn't reflect well on your general attitude towards anything you don't have experience with.

ETA there are several Ethiopian restaurants in Chicago, a few north of Wrigleyville. For example:
https://awashethiopianrestaurant.com/
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes, I've had Ethiopian food several times. Wife and I like it.

I've worked on a couple mining projects in Ethiopia....several of my coworkers have traveled there. I would love to sometime.

Some highlights I remember them telling me: Good food, and it's HOT.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Theres a few good spots in NoVA that are really tasty
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I used to work with an Ethiopian who would very often bring food in that his wife cooked for the crew. It was always delicious, nice and spicy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#38]
ya, it's total shit!

but hey, destroying our society was a "small price to pay" to get that shit on demand!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#40]
"UN rice and dirt"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#41]
There are several good Ethiopian restaurants in my area.  I've eaten it many times and never had a problem.

There used to be a hole-in-the-wall place run by a nice couple named Aster and Mulugeta.  They made their own honey wine (tej) and served it to their customers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I went once. the food "looked" good. It had the appearance of good tasting food.  But if I actually closed my eyes and tasted it without looking, it was in fact horrible and bland. I think the ethiopians are masters of deception when it comes to food. They are experts at making shit food appear to be nice quality. but you can't fake the taste...
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

This.

I don't care if it tastes like the worlds best cooked steak.....its visual appeal is like minus eleven.  Only in ethiopian cuisine can you manage to make something as simple as a slice of wheat bread look highly unappealing.

I almost feel like I could smell that meal (egg and all) through the computer screen.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#44]
It should have a picture of Sally Struthers on the box
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
I went once. the food "looked" good. It had the appearance of good tasting food.  But if I actually closed my eyes and tasted it without looking, it was in fact horrible and bland. I think the ethiopians are masters of deception when it comes to food. They are experts at making shit food appear to be nice quality. but you can't fake the taste...
View Quote

So, literally everyone else in this thread, if they like the food or not, have mentioned the high spice and flavor levels.

You found it horrible and bland?

I find your account of reality to be suspect.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I ate at an Ethiopian restaurant in Washington DC in the 1990s, but I can't remember the name.  I remember it being spicy, and the spongy bread.  
I liked it a lot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:20:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#47]
Originally Posted By jbntex:

This.

I don't care if it tastes like the worlds best cooked steak.....its visual appeal is like minus eleven.  Only in ethiopian cuisine can you manage to make something as simple as a slice of wheat bread look highly unappealing.

I almost feel like I could smell that meal (egg and all) through the computer screen.

View Quote

Please post some pictures of your favorite chili.

I could probably make some disparaging remarks about the appearance of chili, the diarrhea-like appearance, etc.

ETA, perhaps the appearance of biscuits and gravy, looking like dirty horse jizz!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#48]
No but I recently had Kenyan goat stew and was enthralled.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#49]
All these disgusting unrecognizable foods

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:33:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gloftoe] [#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top