Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2024 12:11:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S]
This website gives a clue: The Palmetto State

The official nickname for South Carolina is The Palmetto State, referring to the state tree (the sabal palmetto).
View Quote

But there is a lot more to it.

My public school education "forgot" to tell me about this critical battle of the American Revolution: Battle of Sullivan's Island (1776)

On June 28, 1776 The British launched a massive attack on Charleston Harbor with a fleet with over 300 cannon and 2,200 infantry against Patriot Fort Sullivan "Palmetto Fort" with only 30 cannon and 400 militia.

The fort was made out of Palmetto logs which survived the massive all day British bombardment.  The Patriots didn't panic.  Their return canon fire "...was surprisingly well served" and it was "slow, but decisive indeed; they were very cool and took care not to fire except their guns were exceedingly well directed."

The results: 220 British killed and wounded, and 5 damaged ships with only 12 Patriots killed and 25 wounded.  The British did not attempt to take the fort again.

Another massive victory for the American Militia against military professionals that most of us never hear about.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:47:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Arty8] [#1]
Could have sworn it was slavery. JK.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Did not know that one. Pretty cool! I always like the little trivial points in history. Always Fascinating.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
They named it that because they knew that ~235yrs later PSA would be founded there, obviously.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
cool
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
And it’s not a moon, it’s a gorget.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Ha, I knew that! I'm not sure where I learned it, but I remember the logs were resistant to cannon fire because they were springy and the shells just bounced back.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]
And I was told that the crescent isn't the moon, but rather a piece of armor for the neck (gorget?)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the chance to visit the site over the weekend.  

Images are from Fort Moultrie Park

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
They named South Calorina The "Palmetto state" after the popular firearms manufacturer "Palmetto State Armory", who is based out of that state.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By giantpune:
They named South Calorina The "Palmetto state" after the popular firearms manufacturer "Palmetto State Armory", who is based out of that state.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:11:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#13]
Anyone who has ever had to remove a palmetto understands why they're called G-D palmettos.
OTOH, there are few sounds more soothing than a breeze rattling the palmetto fronds shading a hammock that you're lying in while sipping on a cold one. "Under The Boardwalk" on a boom box cassette player sets the mood.

The Drifters - Under the Boardwalk
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought it was named after palmetto bugs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:16:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#15]
Picture of Fort Moultrie (the site of the battle) from this weekend:

Attachment Attached File

Weather was perfect.  It was an important defensive outpost up to WW2.  Right across the water from Fort Sumter.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Some dude ran his JDM zipper into a Sabal palm near here.
Both lost.  Crash snapped the crown off and the rest just bent over.
Its now a santeria shrine.

Cool story about fort.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Moultrie Flag:

During his notable defense of the fort in 1776, a flag of Moultrie's own design was flown: a field of blue bearing a white crescent with the word LIBERTY on it. The flag was shot down during the fight. Sergeant William Jasper held it up to rally the troops, and the story became widely known. The flag became an icon of the Revolution in the South. It was called the Moultrie, or the Liberty Flag. The new state of South Carolina incorporated its design into its state flag.
View Quote

Wikipedia
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Picture of Fort Sumter from the beach of Fort Moultrie:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool! Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#20]
And don't y'all forget that either!!

Us Carolina boys will whoop your ass with bouncy logs if needed!!

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd read about that battle before, but it'd been lost due to corrupt data last time I defrag'd my brain.

Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I always thought it was named after a bug.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#23]
If you read anything of SC history, a LOT of the names of our defenders are common for landmarks across the entire state.

SC is chock full of patriot history.

Thanks for posting this OP. It has been a long time since I read the details, and I'd lost much to memory
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
If you read anything of SC history, a LOT of the names of our defenders are common for landmarks across the entire state.

SC is chock full of patriot history.

Thanks for posting this OP. It has been a long time since I read the details, and I'd lost much to memory
View Quote

During the Revolution, there were more battles and skirmishes fought in SC than in any other state. In fact, the British withdrew to Yorktown to regroup after getting an ass whipping at Cowpens.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:21:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#25]
For a second I thought this was going to be Johnny Reno teaching thread.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I wished we had visited Fort Moultrie after visiting the USS Yorktown during our visit last month.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#27]
“Forgotten”? Maybe outside the great state of South Carolina, but here, it’s something we take pride in. God bless the Palmetto.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
I wished we had visited Fort Moultrie after visiting the USS Yorktown during our visit last month.  
View Quote

We visited USS Yorktown first, and had some extra time to drive around Sullivan Island... was surprised at what I found.  I'd heard of the event, but never really understood what happened until I was there to see it first hand.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DaveJRSC:
“Forgotten”? Maybe outside the great state of South Carolina, but here, it’s something we take pride in. God bless the Palmetto.
View Quote

"Forgotten" yet there's literally a huge tourist attraction with well-maintained informational signs.

Because, you see, it's a conspiracy if somehow third graders aren't taught literally every moment in history as part of an established curriculum.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:32:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#30]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

"Forgotten" yet there's literally a huge tourist attraction with well-maintained informational signs.

Because, you see, it's a conspiracy if somehow third graders aren't taught literally every moment in history as part of an established curriculum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Fort Moultrie isn't even on the top 20 list of tourist attractions for Charleston.  My public education told me that the militia wasn't effective at fighting during the American revolution.  Of course we never read Anti-Federalist papers whose authors all took it as a given that America didn't need a professional army at all because the militia had very much demonstrated that they could beat a world power.  Schools do a horrible job at teaching Paul Revere's Ride.  So much so that Appleseed has built their program around teaching American's the truth that the shot heard around the world was fired over gun control.  Hardly anyone knows the battle that was the turning point of the American Revolution: Battle of Kings Mountain.  All were massive militia victories against arrogant military professionals.

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
― George Orwell, 1984

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#31]
South Carolina History was a required class at the school I graduated from.

Wonder if they still do that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By fulminate:
South Carolina History was a required class at the school I graduated from.

Wonder if they still do that.
View Quote

Looks like the State requires just one year of U.S.-level history now

https://ed.sc.gov/districts-schools/state-accountability/high-school-courses-and-requirements/
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By d16man:

Correct
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By d16man:
Originally Posted By rock71:

Correct

Is it pronounced "gor-jet" or "gor-jay?"
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I thought it was from the pimento cheese.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Named for those forsaken plants that come up where you don’t want them to and refuse to die.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep, Fort Moultrie.  Redcoat cannon balls bouncing off the palmetto logs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By rock71:
View Quote

This.

Gorget is a piece of armor worn at the neck. Early Plate Carrier/Plates!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By R_S:
Moultrie Flag:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Flag_of_Fort_Moultrie%2C_South_Carolina.svg/330px-Flag_of_Fort_Moultrie%2C_South_Carolina.svg.png
“The Jasper”, a nice condo building on Broad St. is named after SGT Jasper. It replaced a 60’s era apartment building named “The Sergeant Jasper”.

Wikipedia
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#40]
This website gives a clue: The Palmetto State

The official nickname for South Carolina is The Palmetto State, referring to the state tree (the sabal palmetto).
View Quote

But there is a lot more to it.

My public school education "forgot" to tell me about this critical battle of the American Revolution: Battle of Sullivan's Island (1776)

On June 28, 1776 The British launched a massive attack on Charleston Harbor with a fleet with over 300 cannon and 2,200 infantry against Patriot Fort Sullivan "Palmetto Fort" with only 30 cannon and 400 militia.

The fort was made out of Palmetto logs which survived the massive all day British bombardment.  The Patriots didn't panic.  Their return canon fire "...was surprisingly well served" and it was "slow, but decisive indeed; they were very cool and took care not to fire except their guns were exceedingly well directed."

The results: 220 British killed and wounded, and 5 damaged ships with only 12 Patriots killed and 25 wounded.  The British did not attempt to take the fort again.

Another massive victory for the American Militia against military professionals that most of us never hear about.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/33354/6920FE3A-0ED8-4305-92DA-AACA2C8EA586_jpg-3214131.JPG

View Quote

That is fantastic.
Thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Fort Moultrie isn't even on the top 20 list of tourist attractions for Charleston.  My public education told me that the militia wasn't effective at fighting during the American revolution.  Of course we never read Anti-Federalist papers whose authors all took it as a given that America didn't need a professional army at all because the militia had very much demonstrated that they could beat a world power.  Schools do a horrible job at teaching Paul Revere's Ride.  So much so that Appleseed has built their program around teaching American's the truth that the shot heard around the world was fired over gun control.  Hardly anyone knows the battle that was the turning point of the American Revolution: Battle of Kings Mountain.  All were massive militia victories against arrogant military professionals.

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
― George Orwell, 1984

View All Quotes

― George Orwell, 1984

The National Park Service manages 8 properties in South Carolina.

3 of those: this one, Kings Mountain, and the related South Carolina portions of the Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail preserve and document contributions and victories of militia. We are talking dedicated federal effort to make sure these stories are preserved and not forgotten.

Cowpens preserves and features the later actions of the Continental Army as well.

Lots of history there to be learned and studied, and choosing to interpret aspects which have been made part of the national park system as in line with trying to have them forgotten requires a special level desire to see conspiracies on all fronts.

But, more power to you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#42]
No what about the Liberty Tree?

History facts or fable?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:
Ha, I knew that! I'm not sure where I learned it, but I remember the logs were resistant to cannon fire because they were springy and the shells just bounced back.
View Quote

Cannon shells...?

Luckily they didn't have clips for their muskets...
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Cannon ball strikes on the Capital Building during the War of Northern Agression. Ball still imbeded in granite, and stars marking other strikes. Shot from West Columbia side of the river.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Greybeard:
Cannon ball strikes on the Capital Building during the War of Northern Agression. Ball still imbeded in granite, and stars marking other strikes. Shot from West Columbia side of the river.
View Quote

Word is the contractor that renovated the State House back around 2000 may or may not have found a few cannon balls (that he kept) under it when they installed the earthquake footers.  He also hauled off a bunch of spare granite steps that were stored under it as well.  Some were used to build a sea wall at a house on the lake where I live.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#46]
If you pay attention around downtown Columbia, you’ll see some granite blocks beside the sidewalks. Those were steps to get into carriages.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Had heard that story, it’s almost as big as Pametto bugs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

Cannon shells...?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

Cannon shells...?

Yes, shells.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Top Top