Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Always on. 35 % humidity according to my seperate device for humidity and temperature.

I use a Little giant condensate pump that fills and drains to my slop sink for emptying so I never worry.

Runs 247
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vne:

Mine has a port on the side in which you can screw a garden hose thread. So I got a short length of old hose, screwed it in there, and put the other side into the basement drain. No emptying to do as it drains itself.
View Quote

yes, i do this during summer when it runs a lot and drain it into the shower drain (fill bath in basement). run it off a short RV water hose i got from homo depot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I run one in my house during spring/fall, when the AC isn’t running full time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Firearmsenthusiast:

Bedrock is pretty shallow in much of Texas, in Austin I know sometimes that have to blast to build walkouts and put in footings.  Look up sewage lift station if you want to know how drains work where everybody has a basement.

You have to dig past 8' deep here to build anything, if your footings are not below the frost line the building won't stand a chance of surviving. That is way almost everybody has a full basement up here.  If you have to dig down that far anyway, you might just as well make a basement.
View Quote

Thanks, yeah.  No frost line here.  I'm on the coastal plain, so no bedrock to worry about for quite a ways down.

I guess a well/sump and a drainage pump will have to go into my planning.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I set mine at 40% and I don't think it ever comes on in the winter. It runs all the time in the summer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:38:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#6]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:

There is no way I am running my furnace blower 24/7.
View Quote
Not sure why you use that emoji. Ours is on 24/7 to filter the air because of my wife's allergies / asthma. It is very pleasant and I'm not sure I'd ever go back to still air. They are made to handle it and it doesn't use all that much electricity. I bet the dehumidifier uses more. You may also have a setting for circulation that goes on and off every so often between heat / cool cycles.

Basement dehumidifier is on 50%.

I went through so many of them I just get the extended warranty through Amazon. The last three failed within the manufacturer's warranty - full refund, refund on the warranty, start over from new. Unless you spend for a commercial grade one, the compressors are all cheap chinese shit.

Hopefully the Whirlpool goes the distance

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:41:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ibn_Huq] [#7]
It would be nice to find a brand that lasts more than 2-3 years of continuous use

I have one Amana from the mid 80s still kicking though
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RodMI:

Go to a rental store and buy the same brand as them.

Look into a:

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/dehumidifiers/dri-eaz-143-pint-lgr-commercial-dehumidifier/114631/p-1516692586182-c-1497103338432.htm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RodMI:
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Does anyone have a recommendation for one that won't die in the 1st year because it runs all the time?   Mine runs but it's not pulling moisture from the basement.

Go to a rental store and buy the same brand as them.

Look into a:

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/dehumidifiers/dri-eaz-143-pint-lgr-commercial-dehumidifier/114631/p-1516692586182-c-1497103338432.htm

That's what I did. Although I ended up with an alorair instead of a drieaz due to a sale. It's a monster and set at 55
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Not sure why you use that emoji. Ours is on 24/7 to filter the air because of my wife's allergies / asthma. It is very pleasant and I'm not sure I'd ever go back to still air. They are made to handle it and it doesn't use all that much electricity. I bet the dehumidifier uses more. You may also have a setting for circulation that goes on and off every so often between heat / cool cycles.

I went through so many of them I just get the extended warranty through Amazon. The last three failed within the manufacturer's warranty - full refund, refund on the warranty, start over from new. Unless you spend for a commercial grade one, the compressors are all cheap chinese shit.

https://i.imgur.com/HcuH6wY.png

View Quote
Four units in less than three years? Yikes, that's even worse than the reviews indicate. And the reviews are nothing for the manufacturers to be proud of. Not even close. I agree, they're all Chinese, probably made in the same factory. It's amazing how poorly they are all designed and built these days.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an AprilAire dehumidifier in my crawlspace that drains outside. I have ductwork attached so that it discharges dehumidified air into the far end of the crawlspace I keep it at 55%.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
Four units in less than three years? Yikes, that's even worse than the reviews indicate. And the reviews are nothing for the manufacturers to be proud of. Not even close. I agree, they're all Chinese, probably made in the same factory. It's amazing how poorly they are all designed and built these days.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sywagon:

https://i.imgur.com/HcuH6wY.png

Yeah, I think they were each supposed to last just a couple months longer so they wouldn't be on the hook

It is shameful really though
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
How do you drain them?   I mean, like auto magically.  I live in Texas we don't really do basements.   Do they dig out even deeper to put a drain line out to a really deep leach field or something?
View All Quotes
How do you drain them?   I mean, like auto magically.  I live in Texas we don't really do basements.   Do they dig out even deeper to put a drain line out to a really deep leach field or something?

My basement one drains into the basin sink in the basement.  Drilled a hole just above the p trap.

So when you build a house with a basement there, I assume you have to pick the most elevated spot on the property possible.  Or move alot of dirt to make one?

Could explain why we don't really do basements.  To fucking flat most places in Texas.

All you've got to do is shape the land.

I dug in my mailbox the other day.  Hit water at 18"

Builders who don't have basements when their customers want them are lazy.

Flow the water away from the house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a finished basement so I run my 70 pint dehumidifier at 40% all year.  In the wintertime I doubt it even fills up once a month. In the late spring and summer I have to dump a full bucket once a day.  Keeps the basement nice, no musty smells or any signs of damaging humidity.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#14]
You never know when they will fail so I unplug mine when leaving for the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Where does the basement drain go?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Vne:

Mjne has a port on the side in which you can screw a garden hose thread. So I got a short length of old hose, screwed it in there, and put the other side into the basement drain. No emptying to do as it drains itself.

Where does the basement drain go?

I use an ac condensation pump and send it outside.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Echd:
50%. I don't see rust on anything and it doesn't seem to run 24/7, and it doesn't smell musty. In the winter it only runs occasionally at that setting.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I typically just turn it off during the height of winter. We have to add humidity during the winter months for comfort, so no sense in paying to take it back out.

During the summer (and especially as wet spring turns into warm summer weather), 30% and let that baby crank.

My guns and I both live in the basement, as my office is down here, so I'm able to keep a pretty good eye on everything and it seems to work out well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:

There is no way I am running my furnace blower 24/7.
View Quote

how is it any worse than running a dehumidifier almost 24/7 instead?  each furnace blower pulls 7.5a.  tradeoffs.  

electric draw is nothing compared to the 24/7 1hp pool motor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#19]
30 or 40

Its off right now
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:48:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#20]
Originally Posted By racer765:

how is it any worse than running a dehumidifier almost 24/7 instead?  each furnace blower pulls 7.5a.  tradeoffs.  

electric draw is nothing compared to the 24/7 1hp pool motor.
View Quote

A 1HP motor should only pull about 735 watts and in reality probably less than that on average. 7.5A on 220 or 110 is going to be more than that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#21]
45-50% AUTO, Ohio.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
That seems to be one of the big complaints about them. None seem to last very long. Corrosion is a real problem. Even the more expensive units don't seem to fare all that well. They all get mixed reviews.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JAR0023:

Almost all of them die just outside the two year warranty period.  Can't be but a handful of manufacturers.  Lots of them look near the same.  If had the best luck with one from Home Depot made by Toshiba.  

Smaller dump it yourself unit.  Not large commercial.  My basement is maybe 450 sq ft.
That seems to be one of the big complaints about them. None seem to last very long. Corrosion is a real problem. Even the more expensive units don't seem to fare all that well. They all get mixed reviews.
This has been my experience as well.
I had a Frigidaire unit that lasted probably about 5 years.
Running an Apriliare now. Guess I'll see how it fairs against the big box store models
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:31:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#23]
I run mine in the house, not the basement.  At one point I had it emptying into a float controlled pump - whenever the water in the pump would get high enough, it would turn the pump on for a few seconds to empty the float housing.  Now when I feel like I need to run it - I just dump the bucket of water down the toilet 2-3 times a day.

Honestly, when I was running the pump - I only pumped it to my aquarium.  The aquarium had about the same evaporation rate as the dehumidifier - so non net gain or loss -  but I rarely had to top off my aquarium anymore.  FWIW, I still use the dehumidifier to top off the aquarium occasionally.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By rgb03:
This has been my experience as well.
I had a Frigidaire unit that lasted probably about 5 years.
Running an Apriliare now. Guess I'll see how it fairs against the big box store models
View Quote

I'm on my 2nd Aprilaire after getting sick of the tiny bottom drain models. The first one lasted probably a decade or so in a terrible power environment (many outages here). I'm over 5 years on this one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Poodleshooter:

I'm on my 2nd Aprilaire after getting sick of the tiny bottom drain models. The first one lasted probably a decade or so in a terrible power environment (many outages here). I'm over 5 years on this one.
View Quote
The Aprilaire units seems to be higher grade, but they are a lot more money. I only see the ones that install in-line with the air ducts. Do they have any portable units that won't break the bank?

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I turn ours on in early April, when the furnace doesn't run much and the A/C not at all.
I leave it at 50% and everything is fine.
Once the A/C starts running regularly, it runs less, but I still keep it turned on.
If we get a weather change and the A/C doesn't run, the dehumidifier keeps the humidity at bay.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#27]
We just set ours to where the basement feels dry and comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#28]
45-50%.  Low enough to get the musty smell removed and high enough so it doesn't run 24/7.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FDC:

My basement one drains into the basin sink in the basement.  Drilled a hole just above the p trap.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FDC:

So when you build a house with a basement there, I assume you have to pick the most elevated spot on the property possible.  Or move alot of dirt to make one?

Could explain why we don't really do basements.  To fucking flat most places in Texas.

Build the house like a "raised ranch," you put the basement on a slab, pour the front and side walls, then push dirt against the front and sides to make the elevation work. The back wall is a walk out and can be stick built, garage is level with the basement.

Kharn
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top