Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2024 1:28:29 PM EDT
What do you set it at?  40%?  30%?  Just "On" at all times for the summer?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep mine at 30% and it's on year round but obviously doesn't run much in the winter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:30:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#2]
50%. I don't see rust on anything and it doesn't seem to run 24/7, and it doesnt smell musty. In the winter it only runs occasionally at that setting.

I'd assume it should and will vary with the climate an individual lives in. Mine isn't a huge energy hog but if I am not deriving a difference from 35 and 50%, why run it way more?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I run mine at 30.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone have a recommendation for one that won't die in the 1st year because it runs all the time?   Mine runs but it's not pulling moisture from the basement.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
55 for me
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#6]
50%
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep mine at 40%. That's enough to prevent rust and mold. Much lower than that and (supposedly) it's possible to crack wood gunstocks. Seeing as my gun safes are in the basement, I don't want the humidity that low.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#8]
50% here. It's a fieldstone foundation so anything less is an exercise in futility.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By XDONX3:
55 for me
View Quote

+1 for double nickels
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#10]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Does anyone have a recommendation for one that won't die in the 1st year because it runs all the time?   Mine runs but it's not pulling moisture from the basement.
View Quote

Sounds like you might need to do some sealing work.

My basement is about 1800 sqft and after the first few days with a 70 pint dehumidifier it was able to maintain it. That Frigidaire lasted 6 years, which was pretty dang good for a $150 amazon unit that just drained into a sink. It died when the refrigerant leaked out at some point, due to corrosion on the pipes.

I replaced it with a Midea which says 4500 square ft but also only 50 pint, so I assume they changed how they measure things and it probably isn't consistent anyway. It seems to work just as well but has a pump so I don't have to sit it near the sink to discharge, which is nice. Looks like I've had it for about a year now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
What do you set it at?  40%?  30%?  Just "On" at all times for the summer?

Thanks.
View Quote
50-55% in summer, winter it doesnt run much. Anything below that is fairly unreasonable unless youre in arizona (do they have basements?)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muricha] [#12]
It should be set for the minimum space temp your basement will ever encounter.
Some of you  folks are wasting allot of energy, but to each his own.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Back when I had a basement in RI, I ran it at 40%.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#14]
60% for me. I think it's working just fine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#15]
How do you drain them?   I mean, like auto magically.  I live in Texas we don't really do basements.   Do they dig out even deeper to put a drain line out to a really deep leach field or something?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:44:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vne] [#16]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
How do you drain them?   I mean, like auto magically.  I live in Texas we don't really do basements.   Do they dig out even deeper to put a drain line out to a really deep leach field or something?
View Quote

Mine has a port on the side in which you can screw a garden hose thread. So I got a short length of old hose, screwed it in there, and put the other side into the basement drain. No emptying to do as it drains itself.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Vne:

Mjne has a port on the side in which you can screw a garden hose thread. So I got a short length of old hose, screwed it in there, and put the other side into the basement drain. No emptying to do as it drains itself.
View Quote

Where does the basement drain go?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Mjne has a port on the side in which you can screw a garden hose thread. So I got a short length of old hose, screwed it in there, and put the other side into the basement drain. No emptying to do as it drains itself.

Sewer
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I had the drain hose zip tied to the washer drain hose.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Sewer
View Quote

So when you build a house with a basement there, I assume you have to pick the most elevated spot on the property possible.  Or move alot of dirt to make one?

Could explain why we don't really do basements.  To fucking flat most places in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Downhill
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Go to a rental store and buy the same brand as them.

Look into a:

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/dehumidifiers/dri-eaz-143-pint-lgr-commercial-dehumidifier/114631/p-1516692586182-c-1497103338432.htm
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:53:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#23]

View Quote
Mine goes out in 3 ways.  There is the old original basement floor drains which my A/C and Dehumidifier drains into.  I assume they just run to my septic tank, somewhere.  Then there is the lift pump which is a basically a grinder/lifting pump that lifts the toilet and sink water up and out to my septic tank.  Finally there is my sump pump which has it's own pump (of course) that goes up and out into my yard via a popup valve.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Basement on all summer

Bathroom up stairs off at 50 usually after showers it runs a few hours.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:

I had the drain hose zip tied to the washer drain hose.
View Quote

Yeah, I've got one in my gun room draining to a sink drain.  I was more curious about the building/plumbing aspect.

I'd like to dig out a detached basement next to my house but I'm unsure about how to handle the plumbing aspect.  And I want it to have plumbing at least to handle a dehumidifier.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Go to a rental store and buy the same brand as them.

Look into a:

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/dehumidifiers/dri-eaz-143-pint-lgr-commercial-dehumidifier/114631/p-1516692586182-c-1497103338432.htm
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:54:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#27]

So when you build a house with a basement there, I assume you have to pick the most elevated spot on the property possible.  Or move alot of dirt to make one?

Could explain why we don't really do basements.  To fucking flat most places in Texas.
View Quote
Yes my property is all a slight mound basically, my house sits on the highest point of it.  It's not so much you can see it. It's not a hill or something, but everything slopes away from the house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

My basement drain runs across our property to a creek.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Sewer

My entire neighborhood sits on a bit of a hill. The hill is the result of alluvial deposits left behind when the glaciers subsided. We built an addition onto the house with extended basement space underneath. When we dug it out we went 12 feet deep. It was straight sugar sand all the way down. Once dug out, I took a piss in the corner of the hole and it didn't even pool. The drainage is amazing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

That depends a lot some you don't need to drain others you have to pump or use gravity and drain into a creak, leach field or sewer. Some insist on building in a lake and there basements will be under water after a good rain even if pumping it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#31]
Originally Posted By RodMI:

That depends a lot some you don't need to drain others you have to pump or use gravity and drain into a creak, leach field or sewer. Some insist on building in a lake and there basements will be under water after a good rain even if pumping it.
View Quote
I had my sump pump installed due to hydrostatic pressure under my basement floor.  I was getting spalling on the surface of the concrete due to water trapped under the floor, pushing up on it.  The drain tile now relieves that water pressure and the sump kicks it outside. I got no actual water in my basement though, even before the sump was installed.

The house I grew up in on the other hand, absolutely needed a sump pump stay dry.  It didn't matter if it was raining or not, if that pump died or the power went out long enough, mops and buckets had to start appearing.  Even in dry spells that pump ran several times a day.  If we were having severe downpours, it became a bilge pump and ran constantly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I have three finished rooms in my basement. I run it in the big one on one side of the house, and if I don't leave it on always on it won't pull the far rooms.

It can be 35% in that room and 45%+ in my gun room.

The line drains to my sump pump.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
50%
View Quote

^THIS
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#34]
wife had a dehumidifier when we met.  about 1500ft^2 unfinished basement.  

she/we have dogs - current pack is 5, was up to 10 at one point (yeah, we're that house at the end of the cul de sac that rescues dogs) so the dog hair/dander is epic.  like, we could probably do contract field testing for Dyson, Bissell, Hoover, etc.  have a small forest of carpet cleaning implement handles poking up across the room.  what works is the cheap bagless Shark and an old school Rug Doctor, same kind you used to rent just blue not red.  can't kill that thing.  

back to dehumidifiers.  

I got the house on the "run the hvac fans 24/7" and set the ac as needed to knock down the humidity in the summer.  haven't needed a dehumidifier in 15 years.  if you keep the air moving and pay attention to the inside/outside temps and dew points, you don't need one.  

running the blowers 24/7 really keeps the dust under control as well.  

5 dogs make an unbelievable amount of dander and fur.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:01:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#35]
Originally Posted By racer765:
wife had a dehumidifier when we met.  about 1500ft^2 unfinished basement.  

she/we have dogs - current pack is 5, was up to 10 at one point (yeah, we're that house at the end of the cul de sac that rescues dogs) so the dog hair/dander is epic.  like, we could probably do contract field testing for Dyson, Bissell, Hoover, etc.  have a small forest of carpet cleaning implement handles poking up across the room.  what works is the cheap bagless Shark and an old school Rug Doctor, same kind you used to rent just blue not red.  can't kill that thing.  

back to dehumidifiers.  

I got the house on the "run the hvac fans 24/7" and set the ac as needed to knock down the humidity in the summer.  haven't needed a dehumidifier in 15 years.  if you keep the air moving and pay attention to the inside/outside temps and dew points, you don't need one.  

running the blowers 24/7 really keeps the dust under control as well.  

5 dogs make an unbelievable amount of dander and fur.
View Quote

There is no way I am running my furnace blower 24/7.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:18:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bellows1] [#36]
I have one in my gungeon, it's set to 50 I think.
The basement stays 50-60 degrees year round.
The dehumidifier has a tank that can be emptied when full, or it can be set up to drain while running.

I empty it down the sink every couple of days no matter how much is in it.

ETA: It also depends on how often/long you introduce warm/cold air into the basement.
If I open the walk in door for an hour in the summer, it's like a rainforest in the basement.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I bought an air conditioning condensate pump.  I have the dehumidifier drain into the pump, and I ran the discharge tube of the pump through the wall to outside adjacent to my actual ac condensate discharge.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:20:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MetalChef] [#38]
I run 40% to keep the mold and musty smell under control.

During the winter/fall, it barely runs. During the spring, I empty it 2x week, during the summer 3x week.

The next unit will have a drain hose.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Echd:
50%. I don't see rust on anything and it doesn't seem to run 24/7, and it doesnt smell musty. In the winter it only runs occasionally at that setting.

I'd assume it should and will vary with the climate an individual lives in. Mine isn't a huge energy hog but if I am not deriving a difference from 35 and 50%, why run it way more?
View Quote

I read that 50% is ideal for gun storage somewhere.
Since my safe is down there I keep it on 50.
Doesn’t run all the time and my upstairs thermostat usually says humidity is in the 40s.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Always on.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Almost all of them die just outside the two year warranty period.  Can’t be but a handful of manufacturers.  Lots of them look near the same.  If had the best luck with one from Home Depot made by Toshiba.  

Smaller dump it yourself unit.  Not large commercial.  My basement is maybe 450 sq ft.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#42]
50% and mine is set up to drain through an attached hose into a drain.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#43]
Originally Posted By JVD:
50% here. It's a fieldstone foundation so anything less is an exercise in futility.
View Quote

You could have it covered in shot-crete and a vinyl membrane draining to the sump pump.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Fiddy %
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
Get one of those EZ Breathe exhaust fans. They expel damp air and pull dry air down from the upper floors.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Hose going to the floor drain. It also keeps that trap wet.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:51:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#47]
45-50%. Lower and you run the risk of actually drying things out too much, wood, etc. i mean, it isn’t a massive risk, but it exists.

I have a couple of Fridigairs that I nicked from my family when they moved into a condo, they are going strong and have to be 6-8yrs old. They ran them all summer when out of town. I run one in the bathroom. I put the rest out when we have the werid parts of the year where it is like 80% humidity outside, but 68deg, and the HVAC won’t turn on.

Keep the filers/screens clean, the unit will last longer, and is less likely to catch on fire.

*someone on here mentioned they speed up air drying clothes, so ours is getting more use when I told the gf that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JAR0023:

Almost all of them die just outside the two year warranty period.  Can't be but a handful of manufacturers.  Lots of them look near the same.  If had the best luck with one from Home Depot made by Toshiba.  

Smaller dump it yourself unit.  Not large commercial.  My basement is maybe 450 sq ft.
View Quote
That seems to be one of the big complaints about them. None seem to last very long. Corrosion is a real problem. Even the more expensive units don't seem to fare all that well. They all get mixed reviews.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#49]
35-55% depending on season.

winter is lower, of course, and summer semi higher but also run the ac then in (small) basement townhome (~2500 sq ft).
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#50]

So when you build a house with a basement there, I assume you have to pick the most elevated spot on the property possible.  Or move a lot of dirt to make one?

View Quote

Bedrock is pretty shallow in much of Texas, in Austin I know sometimes that have to blast to build walkouts and put in footings.  Look up sewage lift station if you want to know how drains work where everybody has a basement.

You have to dig past 8' deep here to build anything, if your footings are not below the frost line the building won't stand a chance of surviving. That is way almost everybody has a full basement up here.  If you have to dig down that far anyway, you might just as well make a basement.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top