BCM
User Panel

Fallout Amazon series (Page 33 of 36)
Page / 36
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Karankawa:
...  Cannibalism does make sense. I mean you’re probably gonna be force to kill an attacker so why waste the meat? Not my first choice personally but my dogs gotta eat. I could probably hold out at least a day. Maybe two. Dibs on thighs.
View Quote

Username seems pretty appropriate.

Makes the question "Are you a Breast or Ass man" a bit more meaty.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Just finished Season One a few minutes ago.  Loving the show so far!!!!
View Quote

What I've heard from a few coworkers is if you're big into the games, you might not like it.

If you're into inappropriate humor, you're into it.  I'm into it..

Especially shit like random comments about only being an old cowpoke playing a cowboy in the movies, or that you must always get sidetracked by bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

What I've heard from a few coworkers is if you're big into the games, you might not like it.

View Quote

Not true in my case. I've been playing them for a couple of decades.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I just read an article about how the main themes for Fallout are:

Nuclear Bad
Capitalism Bad
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Nuclear Bad
Capitalism Bad
View Quote

I must have missed all of that cause I didn’t get that vibe at all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wingnutx:

View Quote

Same. I've been playing since the original in '97 and I generally liked the series.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Nuclear Bad
Capitalism Bad
View Quote

You can mostly just narrow it down to Everything Sucks and We're All Gonna Die (likely horribly).
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:

You can mostly just narrow it down to Everything Sucks and We're All Gonna Die (likely horribly).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nuclear Bad
Capitalism Bad

Or War. War never changes.      It's a good post apocalyptic universe where everything generally sucks, and not in a good way.   How much and in what manner it sucks is generally the question.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, the over-arching theme of Fallout is that humanity kind of sucks, has always sucked and will always suck, and you need to keep your wits about you. I thought the show reflected that well.

But at the same time the themes of Fallout are something of a necker cube in that folks see what they want to see in it while ignoring the other angles.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Now this is definitely the theme I got from the games.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally finished the show last night.

Was listening to some critiques of it and well I thought it was put together pretty well over all and I enjoyed it.

Some things of note.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think it's a spoiler, but I feel like power armor is kind of a plot convenience point.

Either it's bulletproof and super strong
or
Entirely vulnerable

I also didn't like that supposedly it weighs 4,000 lbs but can fly? That would take ... a lot to get that to work right.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not sure the power armor "flies" as much as it does very long controlled jumps. I see the behavior being like jump jets on mechs in Battletech... it allows the power armor to boost up, hover a bit, then drop in a controlled way that prevents it from slamming into the ground. Fallout 4 has a full on jet pack for the power armor that more or less does the same thing... you don't actually "fly" you just make big long jumps.

And the weakness of power armor in the show is a plot device to show the Ghoul's familiarity with it. How several of them get packed in by the NCRaiders is up to interpretation, as they were shown to have heavy weapons and it isn't out of the realm of believability that power armor can't hold up to rockets or heavy explosives.

The games themselves also treat power armor differently from game to game. Early games treat it as an actual suit of armor that you equip like any other armor, but you need training to know how to use it. Later games treat it as a vehicle that you step into that needs a depleting power source to run. The show seems to take this approach.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:03:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scalped] [#16]

Nuclear Bad
Capitalism Bad
View Quote

Definitely got those vibes. Pretty sure Lucy had one or two digs against capitalism.

All other corpo board directors were white, and the person supposed to bring justice to the world was a woman/poc heading quasi-secret communist group. . Not too obvious as The Ghoul's wife was seated at Vault-Tec though.

Worth it just for the BOS Power Armor knights assault rifle scenes.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#17]
If absolutely nothing else, this show has provided some excellent additions to any apocalypse playlist.

From 19 fucking 60, no less.
Crawl Out Through the Fallout (Novelty Song): Sheldon Allman (1960)

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think it's a spoiler, but I feel like power armor is kind of a plot convenience point.

Either it's bulletproof and super strong
or
Entirely vulnerable

I also didn't like that supposedly it weighs 4,000 lbs but can fly? That would take ... a lot to get that to work right.
View Quote
Yeah, I didn’t like how they treated power armor. Even the props looked kind of cheap, like something a very dedicated cosplayer put together.

Frankly I didn’t like how they treated the BoS at all either.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Nuclear Bad
Capitalism Bad
View Quote

If you can't laugh at yourself, you a have huge stick up your butt.

Neither nuclear nor capitalism are "bad," they're just taken to hilarious extremes. A children's board game with radioactive components is commonly found in bedrooms or toy chests, so you go looking for them when you want to build your own power plant. Or telephone booth sized fallout shelters on every block, but they didn't do anything to save the occupant against nuclear war. So you open them to find they're full of skeletons with little bits of loot and occasionally something funny, or a landmine.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:36:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunslinger808] [#21]
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
If absolutely nothing else, this show has provided some excellent additions to any apocalypse playlist.

From 19 fucking 60, no less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPzICHxXoQ
View Quote

It’s part of the Diamond City Radio playlist.

And about the whole VaultTec is evil…
If you played the games take time to read all the info at computer terminals throughout the wastelands.
A lot of people don’t, and yeah some are boring but many (especially overseer ones) have a lot of info as to the thinking behind the vaults.
It’s pretty clear that VT was using the vaults for experimentation, in most cases on its residents.
From mind control to mutagenic bio chemicals to full on Mengele experiments.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:

It's part of the Diamond City Radio playlist.

And about the whole VaultTec is evil
If you played the games take time to read all the info at computer terminals throughout the wastelands.
A lot of people don't, and yeah some are boring but many (especially overseer ones) have a lot of info as to the thinking behind the vaults.
It's pretty clear that VT was using the vaults for experimentation, in most cases on its residents.
From mind control to mutagenic bio chemicals to full on Mengele experiments.
View Quote
Spotify?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#23]
So I'm not saying this is a good idea.   But from the Amazon thread today...

Now If i could only find those bulb-injection things preloaded with Fallout First Aid concoction...
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
Spotify?
View Quote

No, part of the music in the game.
You have a choice of a few radio stations you can play on your pipboy, one of which is Diamond City Radio.
Here it is…

Fallout 4 - Full Diamond City Radio Playlist
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mikhail_86:

Same here
View All Quotes

Same here

Same
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

If you're into inappropriate humor, you're into it.  I'm into it..

Especially shit like random comments about only being an old cowpoke playing a cowboy in the movies, or that you must always get sidetracked by bullshit.
View Quote

I've been playing them since 1. This is the best live action video game adaptation ever made. Cyber Punk Edgrunners being the best animated video game adaptation ever made.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

I'm replaying Fallout 4 after the update. It's fucking amazing.
View Quote

I just need to find the time, thats the problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By WhirlyGirl45:

I just need to find the time, thats the problem.
View Quote

I'm just committing an hour or two every weekend.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#29]
This is the best live action video game adaptation ever made.
View Quote

I'd say that was The Last of Us.
But Fallout might be #2.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Sturmgewehr-58:

But Fallout might be #2.
View Quote

I'm sure it was high quality. But I didn't watch it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#31]
just finished it up last night. makes some more sense now (but was it china who started the nuking or vaultec)

Big time "A Boy and His Dog" vibe from the whole thing.

kinda wish I had played the video games now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
just finished it up last night. makes some more sense now (but was it china who started the nuking or vaultec)

View Quote

A Boy and His Dog | Post-Apocalypse | Don Johnson | Classic Drama Film

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sturmgewehr-58:

But Fallout might be #2.

All the "woke" that people are imagining in Fallout was on BLAST in that show. The first three episodes were pretty decent(the third has the notorious gay survivalists...but at least it was well done) but it plummeted after that.
Zero humor, bland and implausible action, plot armor galore and zero chemistry between Pascal and the Down's/Fetal Alcohol syndrome costar. It made 9 episodes seem like 20.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By feudist:
All the "woke" that people are imagining in Fallout was on BLAST in that show. The first three episodes were pretty decent(the third has the notorious gay survivalists...but at least it was well done) but it plummeted after that.
Zero humor, bland and implausible action, plot armor galore and zero chemistry between Pascal and the Down's/Fetal Alcohol syndrome costar. It made 9 episodes seem like 20.
View Quote

Yeah I watched lots of content about it but I didn't watch it. Never had HBO Max. I just subscribed to it and it seems like the "wokest" of all of them and I hate that term.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By nvgeologist:
You can still start. Fallout 1 and 2 are top down, turn based, full RPG. Super easy to play in small chunks.

And as far as vault tec launching the nukes, it's discussed , but there's no smoking gun so far. Based on the games there was definitely a full nuke exchange between peers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nvgeologist:
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

You can still start. Fallout 1 and 2 are top down, turn based, full RPG. Super easy to play in small chunks.

And as far as vault tec launching the nukes, it's discussed , but there's no smoking gun so far. Based on the games there was definitely a full nuke exchange between peers.

My impression was VT popped a nuke and the US thought the CHICOMs did it and launched a response to trigger the all out war.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:07:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#37]
You know, you really do have to watch this twice to get it.  Brother was visiting and wanted to watch, so I started over.

In S1E4, where in thr intro part he visits his friend in the old hospital ground floor rooms, amd shoots him, and eats him - the first time I saw that I wasn't paying attention and thought he was there to steal from him, shoot him, and ate parts of him.

The second time I watched that scene, it was completely different understanding.  He knew he was gone, and got him talking about happy memories and then head shot insta killed him while he was looking at the pretty girl recalling fond memories.  It actually was a harsh but actually highly compassionate scene that I didn't get at all the first watching.

They really did a good job on this - and follow the game well.
I restarted the game - Fallout 1 was an incredibly immersive game that just stuck with me and captivated me, beyond just the play, back when I played it.  It's cool to play it again.  It's a slow start, but stick with it, and it'll pull you back in.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#38]

I'm just committing an hour or two every weekend.
View Quote

But be warned, one turns into seven pretty fast
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#39]

But be warned, one turns into seven pretty fast
View Quote

Of course.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:
I'm not sure the power armor "flies" as much as it does very long controlled jumps. I see the behavior being like jump jets on mechs in Battletech... it allows the power armor to boost up, hover a bit, then drop in a controlled way that prevents it from slamming into the ground. Fallout 4 has a full on jet pack for the power armor that more or less does the same thing... you don't actually "fly" you just make big long jumps.

And the weakness of power armor in the show is a plot device to show the Ghoul's familiarity with it. How several of them get packed in by the NCRaiders is up to interpretation, as they were shown to have heavy weapons and it isn't out of the realm of believability that power armor can't hold up to rockets or heavy explosives.

The games themselves also treat power armor differently from game to game. Early games treat it as an actual suit of armor that you equip like any other armor, but you need training to know how to use it. Later games treat it as a vehicle that you step into that needs a depleting power source to run. The show seems to take this approach.
View Quote
In game it lets you make long jumps, In the show it becomes an ironman suit.

I havent gotten around to finishing it yet.  do they bother to explain how cleetus mcgee is so familiar with it? because nobody with power armor in their inventory are likely to let a ghoul get all that familiar with their gear, and being an actor he doesnt seem to be the prewar army type

Also plot armor is a thing, since titus somehow managed to get taken out by a yau guai that did nothing to the suit aside from scratches
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By VaultDweller:

I havent gotten around to finishing it yet.  do they bother to explain how cleetus mcgee is so familiar with it? because nobody with power armor in their inventory are likely to let a ghoul get all that familiar with their gear, and being an actor he doesnt seem to be the prewar army type

Also plot armor is a thing, since titus somehow managed to get taken out by a yau guai that did nothing to the suit aside from scratches
View Quote

He was in the army.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

He was in the army.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

He was in the army.

He mentions throughout the show he was a combat veteran. When he first meets the Bud (?) guy in a flashback, whk designed the suits, he chastises him because the armor had a flaw which cost many "good men" their lives.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Just finished season 1, it was excellent
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:14:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Terrato] [#44]
Just finished the last episode.

Can't wait for the next season.
View Quote
Agreed.

Guess it's time for me to finally play through Fallout 4...

After I finish The Outer Worlds.

Best part of episode 8 for me:
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:05:05 AM EDT
[#45]
do they bother to explain how cleetus mcgee is so familiar with it?
View Quote

He was a Marine and fought in Anchorage.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#46]
being an actor he doesnt seem to be the prewar army type
View Quote
Are you sure you watched the show?  Think more Audie Murphy, less John Wayne.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By November5:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By November5:
being an actor he doesnt seem to be the prewar army type
Attachment Attached File

Are you sure you read my post?

I'm 2 and a half episodes in and in no real rush to finish

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#48]
He says that he learned the thumb trick in the Marene Core.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I love how the Vault Tec Corporation is so true to the real corporate jackasses you encounter in real life.   The future dictators really would be the most unimpressive lamest people imaginable.

That's kind of the "joke" or satire in the show that some fail to see.  They think "why wouldn't everyone in Vault 33 be perfect genetic specimens of humanity," because Bud's buds are a management program made up of lame corporate suits convinced they're the answer to humanities problems.  The real leaders, the people you would want in charge like Cooper Howard, played by Walton Goggins, are just the small players trying to avoid the chaos created by the idiot self-proclaimed "wizards of smart."

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#50]
One episode to go and I'm very pleasantly surprised. I was cautiously optimistic, and it's really exceeded my expectations.

One thing I have found interesting is that although they have a "diverse" cast they did it the right way. Maximus is a good guy, but a fucking dope. Lucy is not dumb and fairly capable, but shockingly naive. The black wife is clearly being set up as a bad guy. The one needless tranny is a useless side character with 5 minutes of screentime and is at least a decent actor.

We're really enjoying it so far. So many great nods to the games- Lucy explaining her SPECIAL traits at the beginning, even the same letters in the Red Rocket station are busted- and Dogmeat is in the exact same place, just not in the freezer.
Page / 36
Fallout Amazon series (Page 33 of 36)
Top Top