Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2024 11:50:43 AM EDT
I know I'm not the only one here with a 4th Gen.  I kinda miss my 5th Gen but ended up with a 2005 4.7 V8 to better tow my expedition trailer in the mountains.  It's been a bit of a project after I bought it with 249K miles on the odometer and had been cosmetically neglected but still mechanically maintained with records.

It has 290K on it now with a few upgrades and mods.  I replaced the front brakes with 5th Gen parts. I'm also using factory 5th Gen 17" SR5 wheels because they work and are a cheap upgrade.  

The next mod is to replace the sagging XREAS (with puck lift that was installed at some point) factory suspension with a Old Man Emu lift.

I might eventually upgrade the front and rear bumpers, but that's more of a want than a need.  I'm not going full retard with off road mods, I have a more modified TJ for that role.

4th Gen guys, what's up with yours?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:24:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#1]
Put over 250k on my 2003 V8, great vehicle.

I blew a power steering pump and a transmission bracket ($90 parts and labor to fix), AC died around 240k.

I got my monies worth. Sold it for too little.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The power steering pump and compressor on mine was replaced at about 270K.  The AC still isn't cooling that well unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine actually is extremely similar to yours, right down to purchasing factory take off 5th gen wheels and tires. The tires suck but they're made for the road and they're going to get a bunch of highway miles until they expire, screw it.

Considering steel bumpers front and rear,  removing running boards, and adding a hitch basket. Going to take the factory rims to be blasted then have them painted or powdercoated in a nice factory-ish color, then put some better ATs on them. Already have the rear tonneau and weathertechs all around. It's my adventure/daily and gets used in a variety of situations - intent is to keep/enhance capability but not hamstring it by going too tall or too heavy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#4]
09 GX470 checking in with 246k and counting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an 06 with the 4.7 and about 150K miles.  Previous owner put the leveling puck in it and air bagged the rear end.  He must have missed the Xreas in his attempts at making it a less shitty tow vehicle.  I deleted the Xreas and put Billsteins on it which helped.  Rides like a truck which made me see the benefit of the Xreas, but someone wanted to buy a camper. I originally wanted to build a back bumper to replace the OEM one that has been dented to hell. The only thing I ever had go wrong was the alternator, and that was not too fun to replace.

Just bought a truck, and I will sadly be selling the old girl.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:
Mine actually is extremely similar to yours, right down to purchasing factory take off 5th gen wheels and tires. The tires suck but they're made for the road and they're going to get a bunch of highway miles until they expire, screw it.

Considering steel bumpers front and rear,  removing running boards, and adding a hitch basket. Going to take the factory rims to be blasted then have them painted or powdercoated in a nice factory-ish color, then put some better ATs on them. Already have the rear tonneau and weathertechs all around. It's my adventure/daily and gets used in a variety of situations - intent is to keep/enhance capability but not hamstring it by going too tall or too heavy.
View Quote
I also have Weathertechs. I like them so far.

This thing was never meant to be a daily driver, but it became one after a drunk killed my Crosstrek last 4th of July.  I usually have a 4 cylinder car for commuting.

I have similar plans in that it will be capable, but still very drivable.  

One minor mod I did that I really like, is I added a Fumoto oil plug valve. The location is completely protected on the 4.7 and makes oil changes so damn quick and easy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:09:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#7]
Originally Posted By packinheavy:
I also have Weathertechs. I like them so far.

This thing was never meant to be a daily driver, but it became one after a drunk killed my Crosstrek last 4th of July.  I usually have a 4 cylinder car for commuting.

I have similar plans in that it will be capable, but still very drivable.  

One minor mod I did that I really like, is I added a Fumoto oil plug valve. The location is completely protected on the 4.7 and makes oil changes so damn quick and easy.
View Quote

I have the Fumoto valve on this one too (and another). Sounds like we have near twins.

I don't have any interest in adding any of the sliding drawers or any of that interior stuff since it folds down into such a nice sleeping area just as it is - just add sleeping mat and sleep system. Slight improvements to off road ability via slightly taller and grippier tires, a little more clearance and durability is kinda the goal. Stuff inside gets stored in plano totes so it can come out easily and is organized by use. I'd consider a roof rack if needs dictate but no rooftop tent.

Light/simple/minimalist is my camping style and this fits those needs perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]

I like it! Which bumper is that?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Looks like a shrockworks with aftermarket wings

Unfortunately, shrockworks shut doors and ran off with customers money
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By _Matt_:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _Matt_:

Yep, Shrockworks - pre-shenanigans.  Unfortunate how that played out - they made great stuff.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#12]
My 2003 V8. Mild lift, rocker protection, skids, Warn winch. I really dig it.

Playing around at Windrock.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:05:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: clutchsmoke] [#13]
08 with the V8 of course. 110k. Installed Asin timing belt kit, TRD wheels off a 5th gen. Got rid of the Xreas and installed TRD sport front shock/spring assemblies from a taco plus the shocks on the back. Also put 1 inch lift eibach springs with the shocks. The combo lifted the truck an inch and the sport suspension is pretty good on the road.   While I was under there I painted the frame and sprayed enough fluid film to drown an elephant.

As a side note, I got the TRD taco suspension for $250 and the eibach springs for $60 new off Facebook marketplace. Also got the wheels and tires with zero miles for $600. As someone pointed out the stock tires suck but I can deal with it till they wear out. All the OEM stuff was pretty much new, people swap out for cheap Chinese lift and wheels and sell off the OEM for nothing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I feel like my 4th gen had better build quality than my 5th gen. That being said, the 5th gen is growing on me alot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:28:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Razzman1:

https://i.vgy.me/FYhTTR.jpg

https://i.vgy.me/SbL1MO.jpg
View Quote
Dem steel wheels are killer
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

That is nice - simple, clean, functional.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Agreed, that's a good setup.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By clutchsmoke:
08 with the V8 of course. 110k. Installed Asin timing belt kit, TRD wheels off a 5th gen. Got rid of the Xreas and installed TRD sport front shock/spring assemblies from a taco plus the shocks on the back. Also put 1 inch lift eibach springs with the shocks. The combo lifted the truck an inch and the sport suspension is pretty good on the road.   While I was under there I painted the frame and sprayed enough fluid film to drown an elephant.

As a side note, I got the TRD taco suspension for $250 and the eibach springs for $60 new off Facebook marketplace. Also got the wheels and tires with zero miles for $600. As someone pointed out the stock tires suck but I can deal with it till they wear out. All the OEM stuff was pretty much new, people swap out for cheap Chinese lift and wheels and sell off the OEM for nothing.
View Quote
I go to Krown every Fall and get mine sprayed with fluid film. The reason I picked the one I bought even though it was cosmetically rough was the almost complete lack of rust.  It was previously a Tennessee vehicle.  Everything up here tends yo have frame rot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:57:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MapMonger] [#19]

View Quote

@Razzman1 - got a source for that grille? I'm thinking about going for a retro look when I re-work my 06 sport and I need that but in chrome.

On second thought the Toyota may need to be smaller, but still need that current emblem off there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:16:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Razzman1] [#20]
Originally Posted By MapMonger:

@Razzman1 - got a source for that grille? I'm thinking about going for a retro look when I re-work my 06 sport and I need that but in chrome.

On second thought the Toyota may need to be smaller, but still need that current emblem off there.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MapMonger:

Let me see if I can find where I got it from.

ETA  I think I got it from here:  TRD grille

But I'm sure there's a half dozen places that import/sell them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top