Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 3:57:39 PM EDT
Did the ever alter the front sight to shoot to a lower point of aim when the switched to the spiter round?

I know the pinned a metal plaque or shellaced a paper one to the stock.

I have two 1896 one 1898 and a 1899 dated Gustov. Both had the barrel threaded for the blank adapter which I have heard was not done initially.

Neither one has hole for the pins and niether have shellac or any remnants of the chart.

I'm guessing both of these where used for training and perhaps the front sight was altered.

Both of mine have a - and a number I dont remember at the moment.

I shot the 1899 dated one and with a 140 spitzer it was only 2 inches high at 50 yards. I was concened of the 300 meter zero going over the 100 yard berm with the high tatgets backers and unknown difference in ammo. Ended up being just a bit off at 100 yards so I would say it was about perfect at 100 meters.

So did they do this with trainingg rifles ? I would imagine getting them to hit a target first was the oblect.

According to production numbers they where made 3 months apart.

I have not looked under the disk to see if there is a 2 screw unit disk holes. I'm sure there are but both of these have the overhaul /inspection disk
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If the front sight has a T it means it was arsenal replaced/adjusted for torped(spitzer) bullets. Although often it was replaced without being stamped "T". The bottom of the stock disc where it says torped - overslag - strk indicates how many mils (strek) to hold over. If it's unmarked or 0 yours have probably had front sights modified.

Another indication of modification is if the rear sight notch is squared. Armorers filed them square at the same time adjustment were made for the new spitzer bullets.

It's very hard to say if your particular rifles have been modified, but the Swedes were fastidious in either modifying rifles or indicating appropriate holdover.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top