Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:51:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrSig239] [#1]
Black locust hollow body with apple capsule and landing legs. Flame made with padauk and is removable so rocket stands on legs..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:29:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ropwoo] [#2]
I made just one a while back for fun.  Gave it to a family friend and next I know I have a request for 4 more.  

I just give them away as gifts, as I enjoy making them and getting some extra time in the shop. Though after this run, I have created several templates and worked out a method to make them more efficiently should I get more requests.  The original plan was in a woodworking book I was given several years back.

They are made from 1x6 cedar deck boards from Lowes that I mill down to 1/2". My local hardwood supplier only sells aromatic cedar so Lowes or HD was my only other local choice.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#4]
To this: Cedar and walnut. 11.5 inches in diameter.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Wow, what a nice piece.  So what is the origin story of wood (if it has one)?

Now, I am not a wood turner, but I certainly appreciate the craftsmanship involved.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. No story. Just a couple of pieces I had left over from making a few platters. Picked it up at a mill in a 6 foot length.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a 2-day project made from an old wine barrel.  The back story, the Barrel was gifted to us by Scott Paul Winery in Oregon.  My wife and a friend went down for a wine weekend and picked it up.  Since then I have tried to figure out what to do with it as it was not in the greatest condition.

So I present to you, the outdoor, wine barrel, plant stand.  It's made by eyeball, no measures, levels, or squares.  Just rough sands / planes / screws / Glue.

I think my motivation was to clean out my scrap wood bins, lol.  But at the same time, it did turn out nice as a back porch project.

Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zombievt] [#8]
Wall mounted bottle openers. Both have keyhole slots on the back side for flush wall mounting and hidden rare earth magnets to catch bottle caps.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By zombievt:
Wall mounted bottle openers. Both have keyhole slots on the back side for flush wall mounting and hidden rare earth magnets to catch bottle caps.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23848/20240525_200020_jpg-3223502.JPG
View Quote
Curious, how do the magnets work?  Where are the caps captured?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zombievt] [#10]
Originally Posted By ropwoo:
Curious, how do the magnets work?  Where are the caps captured?
View Quote

On the one with the inlay, the magnet is hidden under the inlay. In the other one, I drilled a blind hole from the back then epoxied the magnet in place.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

I love small projects that use up scrap. Bookmarks with cabochons turned from green dyed and stabilized maple burl and red dyed and stabilized spalted tamarind. These take, maybe, 10 minutes from start to finish.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

A little wand making today. Handle is turned from green dyed and stabilized maple burl. The best thing is this hardware is set up so I can turn my own shafts and carbochons, too. With this one I used a poly shaft just to get a feel for the whole process.

https://www.tiktok.com/@northmanwoodworks/video/7373757922368687403?_t=8mhwhI84rcs&_r=1
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23848/20240527_145638_jpg-3225125.JPG

A little wand making today. Handle is turned from green dyed and stabilized maple burl. The best thing is this hardware is set up so I can turn my own shafts and carbochons, too. With this one I used a poly shaft just to get a feel for the whole process.

https://www.tiktok.com/@northmanwoodworks/video/7373757922368687403?_t=8mhwhI84rcs&_r=1
View Quote
Wow, very cool.  I would buy that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ropwoo:
Wow, very cool.  I would buy that.
View Quote

Thanks much. I'm hoping a whole bunch of other people feel the same way.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#15]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23848/20240525_200020_jpg-3223502.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: Yesterday 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll post a few of my late father's projects. Most in plywood.

This was mounted on the side of the house for Halloween. About 12 foot or so tall.

For Christmas.

Crappy pic, but Willie G has one of my dad's works in his collection.

Page / 22
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top